mtbr member
    Mar 2012

2015 Remedy 7 27.5 or Fuel EX 8 27.5

I am torn between these two bikes, I don't know that i ride enough aggressive terrain to make the remedy worth it. However i want this bike to be something that I may be able to tackle bigger terrain on. The only thing that keeps me from the Remedy is the rockshox fork over the fox. I am very happy with my Reba SL on my Superfly 7 right now but I dont know how i would like the revelation. Any help would be appreciated. Also i work for a trek dealer so it needs to be a 2015 model and not a closeout 2014.

Resident Gear Head
    Where do you do the majority of your riding? I consider myself a mostly XC rider and I love my remedy 8. Pedals well on XC rides, is comfortable, but rips downhill. It has helped tons for my aggressive, technical, and DH riding. I have never ridden a Fuel so I can't say if it will or won't hold you back on technical sections but I can say for a fact that the Remedy will pedal fine on XC rides and will also be comfortable, stable, and confident through tech and downhill sections. When I was purchasing my Remedy I wanted the 7 because of the lower cost, decided to go with the 8 and have nothing but great things to say.
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I probably ride more xc than anything but there are a few technical areas. Right now i ride a hardtail superfly and like it. Ive thought about just getting a full suspension superfly but im afraid the rear shock might compress too much off say a 2ft drop or something like that

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Also ride my remedy 8 on xc trails with some technical section and it's perfect I can now tackle technical terrain with ease compared to my hard tail also good climber and a blast going downhill, would recommend it the 8..

mtbr member
    I have a Remedy 8 and have found that the "Climb" setting on the rear shock just about turns it into a hardtail. That's a good thing for those fire roads and smooth climbs. I also had a 2010 Fuel EX9, which was a great bike but left a bit to be desired on the downhills. It was just a bit more unsettled at high speed and over rough terrain, and I was constantly watching out for rocks and roots. I've found that the Remedy is a lot more fun going downhill, especially over jumps and rough terrain. The fact that it climbs as well as my old Fuel is a great bonus.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Maybe I need to change the title of the thread or make a new one. The more I think about how I ride and what I enjoy I'm starting to think the superfly 8 FS. I don't have any real downhill stuff around here that I ride on a regular basis. I enjoy riding fast flowing single track so I'm between the superfly and the fuel. The superfly probably climbs better, and is lighter. It also comes with a better group set than the fuel 7. I'm just torn though because right now on my hard tail superfly I love riding flowing single track but I wonder if I got a fuel on remedy if I would venture towards more technical stuff. Also the remedy 8 is out of my price range and being that this is a employee purchase I couldn't go with a close out model from last year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Fuel is almost as good as superfly for xc type stuff. But way out does the superfly on downhill and tech stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yea I would have to agree, I think I have made up my mind to go with the fuel and also to go with the 650b over the 29er.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Just want to throw this out there. The Remedy has the mino link which does give it more of an xc geometry when flipped. Tried it a few times and it works, though even in the slack setting the bike handles and pedals very efficiently.
    The best things in life are not things.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Welch621 View Post
    I am torn between these two bikes, I don't know that i ride enough aggressive terrain to make the remedy worth it. However i want this bike to be something that I may be able to tackle bigger terrain on. The only thing that keeps me from the Remedy is the rockshox fork over the fox. I am very happy with my Reba SL on my Superfly 7 right now but I dont know how i would like the revelation. Any help would be appreciated. Also i work for a trek dealer so it needs to be a 2015 model and not a closeout 2014.

I just got a 2015 Trek Fuel EX 8 two weeks ago. Ridden it four times so far and it's great! Climbs really well (had to flip the stem though). Coming from a 26er FS and it rolls over stuff like my SS 29er. Only thing to get used to is the wide handlebars. I was thinking of cutting them but getting to like them.

I ride all XC but would not hesitate to take the Trek Fuel on gnarly, technical trails which I'll be on in the next few weeks.

mtbr member
    If you're torn between the two, you could split the middle, swap the fork and put a 140 on the front of the Fuel...
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)