mtbr member

2014 X-Cal 8 or 2014 Superfly 5?

Based on what I'm seeing on international websites it appears the Superfly 5 will be available for somewhere in the ballpark of $1600+ while the X-Cal 8 can be purchased for sub $1000. Are the specs worthy of spending $600+?

X-Cal 5

Frame

Alpha Gold Aluminum w/semi-integrated head tube, mechanically formed & butted tubing, race geometry, internal front derailleur routing, G2 Geometry

Front suspension

RockShox XC32 w/coil spring, TurnKey lockout, custom G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, 100mm travel (14.5": 80mm travel)

Sizes

14.5, 15.5, 17.5, 18.5, 19.5, 21.5, 23"
    Wheels

Wheels

Shimano RM66 center lock alloy hubs w/Bontrager AT-850 32-hole double-walled rims

Tires

Bontrager XR1 29x2.20" front, 29x2.0" rear
    Drivetrain

Shifters

SRAM X5, 9 speed

Front derailleur

SRAM X5

Rear derailleur

SRAM X7

Crank

SRAM S800, 44/32/22

Cassette

Shimano HG20 11-34, 9 speed

Pedals

Wellgo nylon platform
    Components

Saddle

Bontrager Evoke 1.5

Seatpost

Bontrager SSR, 27.2mm 12mm offset

Handlebar

Bontrager Low Riser, 31.8mm, 15mm rise

Stem

Bontrager Race Lite, 31.8mm, 7 degree

Headset

1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings

Brakeset

Shimano M395 hydraulic disc brakes
    Accessories

Grips

Bontrager Race

Superfly 5

Alpha Platinum Aluminium, butted & hydroformed tubing, E2 tapered head tube, internal cable routing, press fit BB, balanced post mount, Closed Convert dropouts, G2 Geometry
    Fork
    RockShox Recon Silver w/Solo Air spring, rebound, TurnKey lockout, custom G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, 100mm travel
    Rear Shock
    Shifters
    Shimano Deore, 10 speed
    Rear Mech
    Shimano Deore XT Shadow
    Front Mech
    Shimano Deore
    Bottom Bracket
    Chainset
    Shimano M622, 40/30/22
    Cassette
    Shimano HG62 11-36, 10 speed
    Chain
    Brakes
    Shimano M445 hydraulic disc
    Pedals
    Wheelset
    Shimano M435 centre lock hubs w/Bontrager AT-850 32-hole double-walled rim
    Tyres
    Bontrager XR1 Expert, aramid bead, 29x2.2"
    Handlebar
    Bontrager low-riser, 31.8mm, 5mm rise
    Stem
    Bontrager Race Lite, 31.8mm, 7 degree
    Grips
    Bontrager Race
    Seatpost
    Bontrager SSR, 27.2mm, 12mm offset
    Saddle
    Bontrager Evoke 1.5
    Headset
    FSA IS-2, E2, sealed cartridge bearing
    2012 Trek X-Caliber

mtbr member
    I can't speak to all of the things on that list, but the frame and fork are upgrades I would want. I was advised to buy a cobia and above in the past, as the frame is the platinum series as opposed to the gold series. The bike with parts swapped is for sure lighter than a gold series frame. I would much prefer the air adjustable fork as well. The few year old tora solo air and coil forks I have experience with, and the tora air is substantially better than the coil at controlling the bike. I am unsure but I believe the superfly in 14 got the 142 through axle rear setup, and I would much prefer that also.
    I would see if an lbs is slightly negotiable and see if you can pull the superfly down closer, I feel as though I would personally want that frame, especially if it was 142 through axle equipped. The rest of the components will be replaceable wear items anyhow, and can be changed to suit your tastes.
    10 Gary Fisher Cobia - 13 Trek Madone 5.2 - 14 Trek Fuel Ex8

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Allthough the fork on the Superfly 5 is a bit heavy it's far better than the fork on the X-cal 8. Brakes and drivetrain is nice on the Superfly 5. As mentioned above, the Superfly has a nicer frame. I'd spend the extra money on the Superfly.

As far as I can tell the 142 rear axle is offered on Superfly 7 and up.
    Last edited by f4k3; 08-25-2013 at 10:08 AM.

mtbr member
    I would say the Superfly is the better bike based on the parts spec.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The X-Cal line now seems a bike path group except for the 8 and 9--- like the Aspect range from Scott.
    The Superfly line starts ready to ride trails.
    Last edited by eb1888; 09-04-2013 at 03:33 PM.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Superfly, of course....

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    they really changed the superfly up A LOT! and for the better. thru axles and the new shorter chainstays are exactly what everyone's been asking for. absolutely solid bike the superfly is and you can't beat the components for the money. also, wrap your head around this, that frame is like a full blown aftermarket frame. It has all the right stuff. lightweight, GREAT geometry, style and hydroformed tubing to the max. A niner frame of matching quality costs $900. A niner with matching parts would prbably be closer $2000 easily. The x-cal is just a minimal mt bike. If you get serious into it, you will want a machine and that's what the superfly is stock out of the box for $600 more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    If your still undecided I just bought the 2013 x-cal which is the highest tier for 1099 on closeout at my local trek store. It has the rockshox reba solo air and sram x7 components. Keep your eyes peeled.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    The Superfly 5 has a soloair fork, a plus, as well as all Shimano brakes and drivetrain. Go for that one.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    If you can swing the price difference the SF 6 has a lot nicer fork and little better spec overall.
    I wanna ride!

mtbr member
    I got the x cal 6 a couple weeks ago. I mainly use it as my commuter but so far so great. I love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The frame is much better. That alone I think would be worth it. But the better fork and gruppo all around make the superfly the better value.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just pulled the trigger on the Superfly 6. LBS had a 2013 Wahoo, 2013 Marlin, as well as the 2014 Superfly and X-Caliber in the 19-19.5 size. I spent about two hours on all of them, concentrating more on the frame ride and compliance/stiffness than anything else (I am just looking for the frame, I have so many spare XT parts to use). I started off with the Wahoo and Marlins, and finished with the Superfly. I must say that the Superfly is a much better frame. I did not notice a bit of difference between the Wahoo, Marlin or X-Caliber. I could put it in the big chain ring and accelerate, and get some flex out of those frames. Got on the Superfly and did not get the same flex. I went back to the Wahoo, Marlin and X-Caliber to do some slaloms with the reflectors on the road, and was kind of underwhelmed by how the front end and frame seemed to wallow and twist, just not feeling very precise. Got back on the Superfly and did the same slalom, and it just tracked so much better and felt more precise. With that I was convinced to get the Superfly. Tried it out yesterday on some local singletrack, and am very happy with my purchase. Would highly recommend the Superfly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    LBS has 2013 Superfly Al Elite for $1499..I might just have to pull the trigger on that beauty. Was looking at the 2014 Superfly 5 or 6 but the specs on the 13 Elite bike are great for the price tag.
    JUST DO IT

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ended up going with 2014 Superfly 5! LBS ordered me up one and should be here in a week or so! Be a nice addition to my Fuel bike...Happy Trails
    JUST DO IT

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Any update on how that Superfly 5 is? Im torn between the X-Cal 9, the Superfly 5, and Stache 6. Some feedback would be great.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyo8982 View Post
    Any update on how that Superfly 5 is? Im torn between the X-Cal 9, the Superfly 5, and Stache 6. Some feedback would be great.

Thanks
    Depending on what kind of riding you do and how much you want to spend on a bike will determine which bike you will buy.

Stache has a more fun, technical, play in the woods geo, while the Superlfy has a racing geo.
    Stache has a 2x10, while the others have 3x10s. Stache has a 120mm fork and the others have 100mm, stache and superfly have 180/160mm brakes while the X-cal has a 160/160mm.
    The Superfly costs the most, and I would only reccomend that one if you were racing.
    If you just wanted a fun bike, buy the Stache.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I live in Chicago so there's a lot of flat land. I do most of my riding on the lake front bike path and a little bit in the wooded areas out in the burbs. But no crazy off rode type riding or anything. I just ride for fun with the occasional organized ride but nothing to competitive.

Thanks

I live in Chicago so there's a lot of flat land. I do most of my riding on the lake front bike path and a little bit in the wooded areas out in the burbs. But no crazy off rode type riding or anything. I just ride for fun with the occasional organized ride but nothing to competitive.

Thanks
    In that case, I recommend the X-Cal.
    It isn't a racing specific frame, but it has the gearing for flat riding.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member

2014 X-Cal 8 or 2014 Superfly 5?

Thanks
    I live just south of Chicago. Don't know if you've ever ridden the trails in Palos/Willow Springs area?? Those are probably the most challenging trails in the area. You can check them out at.
    Www.cambr.org

Bikes I currently have. 2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er. 2013 Trek Mamba 29er.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Ya the ones in Palos are really the only ones I know of that are off road type. I've been out there a few times but I usually just ride on lake shore drive.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Thanks
    I'm really glad I got the Superfly over Xcaliber. A friend of mine broke down and bought the Xcaliber a week after I did. We rode two times on the same trails and he was really disliking the Suntour fork. Didn't have a problem with the other components, but the fork was bad. He took the Xcaliber back and got a Superfly 5 like mine. He is much happier now and is liking the ride better.

I did not get an opportunity to ride a Stache, the LBS did not have one in my size. I like the 2x10 option, and the dropper seat post option that's available.

The one upgrade I did with the Superfly, was to change out the damper for the Recon. I added the Argyle MoCo damper and it transformed the fork, and changed the handling of the bike. It is much more plush and less harsh than with the OEM damper.

Quote Originally Posted by fuel98rider View Post
    I'm really glad I got the Superfly over Xcaliber. A friend of mine broke down and bought the Xcaliber a week after I did. We rode two times on the same trails and he was really disliking the Suntour fork. Didn't have a problem with the other components, but the fork was bad. He took the Xcaliber back and got a Superfly 5 like mine. He is much happier now and is liking the ride better.

I did not get an opportunity to ride a Stache, the LBS did not have one in my size. I like the 2x10 option, and the dropper seat post option that's available.

The one upgrade I did with the Superfly, was to change out the damper for the Recon. I added the Argyle MoCo damper and it transformed the fork, and changed the handling of the bike. It is much more plush and less harsh than with the OEM damper.
    The X-Cal 9 has a Rockshox XC32 solo air fork. Not a suntour.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    So I ended up going back to my lbs and changing out my X-Cal 9 for the Superfly 6. Much happier with my decision.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yes, you are right, it has the RS fork. He wasn't happy with it though and took it back for the Superfly. I've heard the same thing from a couple of other people as well though, they just weren't happy with the new Xcalibers, and swapped them out for the Superfly models. Four people doesn't make for a wide sample, but for the cross country riding here in Florida, it would appear the Superfly is a better bike.

I think it just comes down to how aggressive you are with it. If you are flicking it over logs, stumps, etc. and really pounding on trails, I think the Superfly is the better choice.