Illuminati

2014 Trek Slash Picture Thread

does anyone have a 2014 Trek Slash yet? if so please post pictures. if anyone can measure the actual centre to centre toptube length of a 18.5inch frame size I'd really appreciate it

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Subbed! I'm especially interested in the Slash 7.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Should be getting mine (18.5") within the next two weeks, fingers crossed for sooner. I'll let you know! ...but can you be more specific about where exactly centre to centre is so I get it right?

Bikes!
    Looking forward to seeing some pics of the new bike, it's the only 27.5 I'm really interested in at the moment...

mtbr member
    This isn't my bike but I got to demo it a couple of weeks back. Slash 9 650b with Sram XO1. Very fun bike!

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Britishnate View Post
    This isn't my bike but I got to demo it a couple of weeks back. Slash 9 650b with Sram XO1. Very fun bike!

That thing looks like a lot of fun! I fear it may be the fourth bike in my quiver! LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    britishnate, any chance you can give us any more thoughts on the slash from your demo? i think these things might be the ticket..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gnomer View Post
    britishnate, any chance you can give us any more thoughts on the slash from your demo? i think these things might be the ticket..
    Firstly let me say I ride a Trek Fuel EX 9 29. So that will give you an idea of what I like to ride.

I can honestly say I was pleasantly surprised by this bike. I thought 7 inches of travel and smaller wheels would not be great but I enjoyed it. The suspension setup on this bike is great. Very plush and the CTD really does change how the bike rides. As far as the drivetrain, being a Shimano fan I didn't expect much from this SRAM XO1 but it was surprisingly nice. Snappy shifts and very solid. I will say I think you may need to own more than one front ring depending on what type of trail you are riding. As far as the handling of the bike it is definitely snappy like a 26 but did roll over things significantly better in my opinion. The greatest surprise for me was how quick to accelerate it was on climbs. I could tell how agile this bike is very quickly. On the downhills it is as expected, point it and it goes. Very good at soaking up all the rocks we have here in AZ.

The only complaint I have about the bike was the brakes. They sucked, in comparison to my XT's these were s***. I almost flew off the trail 2 or 3 times.

Honestly for me I think this is a little much bike I don't think I would be able to push it to the limits of what it is capable of. I do think I would prefer a Remedy if I were to buy one of the two. A little more agile and light from what I understand.

I think if you want a bike that can handle pretty much anything you put in front of it, this is the bike for you and as for the debate of 26 vs. 27.5 I think 27.5 wins. I had the opportunity to ride last years Slash when that was out and I can tell you the new one is 100% better!!!

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    thanks nate, good to hear it felt snappy like a 26er.. kindof wondering if it is truly capable as a longer travel bike, it looks tough, but not super beefy. I imagine it is fairly light (for a 160mm bike). Seems like it is tough to appese all who are looking in this category. Light to climb, but big enough to descend dh type trails..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gnomer View Post
    thanks nate, good to hear it felt snappy like a 26er.. kindof wondering if it is truly capable as a longer travel bike, it looks tough, but not super beefy. I imagine it is fairly light (for a 160mm bike). Seems like it is tough to appese all who are looking in this category. Light to climb, but big enough to descend dh type trails..
    I would look on Trek's facebook as I think they show the dates for the demo truck and where they will be. For example the truck is going to be here in Phoenix this weekend for our demo. I am sure they will be out in your neighborhood sometime soon! Get out and try one for yourself, that will be the best way to see what you think!