mtbr member
    Jan 2014

2014 Trek Remedy 9.8 seatpost length and sizing Q's

Hi all,

I just got a 2014 18.5" Remedy 9.8 from a private seller.

I am 5'11 32 inseam 210 lbs. I've been riding for 20+ years with 1-2K' and sometimes 3K' climbs each ride.

When I adjusted the seat per directions from the Art's Cyclery youtube videos I need the seatpost to be 14mm further than the max insertion line of the rockshox reverb dropper post. And the seat needs to be almost all the way back for the knee - plumb drop.

Should I just use the stock dropper post even if it sticks out 14mm beyond the line?

I amy want to replace the post with a longer one, IF there is a longer one.
    So - does anyone know what size the stock post is? I'm hoping it is not the 420mm which is the longest Rockshox has on the website.

One other thing - my other MTB posts have an offset at the seat mount to the rear to give the seat more support to the rear. The dropper post goes straight up. The seat flexes when I pedal. Is there a dropper post with the better rear support or do you have any ideas about how to limit the flex? I notice that the post even flexes a bit.

Or is there some seat mount extender or do they make taller seats that might make up the 1/2 inch?
    Thanks for your help.

Kick Start My Heart
    I am 6'1", I've got a 32" inseam, and I am on a 19.5 2013 Fuel EX8. Offhand, with the seatpost issue and all, I'd have to say your frame is 1" to small. Being a bigger guy makes for tough sizing issues.
    I needed an offset seatpost and went with the Specialized Command Post Blacklite.
    I'd guess that you are vested in this frame. Okay, so that being the case, you are going to need one hell of a lot of seatpost. The long seatpost is part of the issue with that flexing though, as that length out there acts like a big 'ol lever when you put any force to it. A large frame with less post exposed=less flex.
    I've never heard of a seat mount extender or taller seat. Both of these are just compromises to a basic issue, the frame size.
    More informed voices will join in, and I hope they have solutions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have a feeling that a 19.5 would have been better, but I did try the 19.5 in a shop and I was stretched out a bit. I got a deal on a slightly used 18.5 so I want to make it work or I'll sell it but then I can't afford a new 9.8.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Why don't you just measure your current seat post to see for yourself? I am 1.83 (6ft) and had a 2013 Fuel Ex7 19.5 and it felt OK (maybe just slightly bigger than what i wanted) with almost half of the seatpost hidden in the frame.

Now my current bike is a medium Reign X and as expected there is much more seatpost exposed vs the Fuel since the seat tube of the Reign is 43cm vs the 47 of the Fuel. However despite this difference my 420 RS Reverb is not even close to minimum insertion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    According to Trek's tech site, the 18.5 Remedy ships with a 380 mm long Reverb Stealth. The 19.5 comes with a 420 mm long post. You could get a longer post, or trade with someone that doesn't need the extra length on theirs (like me). I would agree that a 19.5 would have been the better size, that's what i got, and i am the same height as you. As far as the plumb bob rule of thumb, I wouldn't worry about it too much since it is just a generic fitting concept that works for some and not for others. Once you get your seat height correct, you can adjust the seat position to where it feels right. You might also try running the MinoLink in the slacker position, since it will slacken the seat angle also, giving you more effective setback. DO NOT set your post up above the max height line. It is bad for the frame and the post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the reply. I couldn't find the info on the web site. I didn't know that the 19.5 frame comes with the longer post. One other possible issue would be that since the angle puts the seat to the rear that I will still be too rear biased using the a long seat post. I figure I need 395mm.

The bike has never seen dirt yet. I'm going to ride some road hills to be sure that the frame size will work. If it doesn't I'll need to sell the bike.

Once I confirm that, I will need to do a swap with some incentive for the other person.

If anyone reading this post would swap the 420 or 430mm for the 380 I have, please let me know. I would be willing to pay $50 + shipping. I'm in the SJ CA area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    PM sent

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I just want thank kdiddy for extending the mtbr community from Rochester NY to Silicon Valley CA to help me out. Within 24 hours of realizing I needed a longer Reverb post, he was willing to trade his longer post for a very reasonable consideration.

I sent my 380mm post on Thursday and was riding the next Friday afternoon on a 420mm post. It's great when the community helps people solve problems and increase others enjoyment of riding MTB.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm glad I could help. I just bled mine the other day and hope to hit the trails as sson as the snow melts and the trails dry.