mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm 2014 Trek Remedy 29er Review

I want to say that I just received my 2014 Trek Remedy 29er. I am a big guy around 280 lbs and I am an aggressive downhiller but I also climb everything I come down. I ride the size XL which most people should consider that get the Large since the only real dimension difference is a 2CM longer top tube so it sets you up more leaned forward and better balance for those like me that 6' or so. So I want to say that flat out that this is the best bike I have ever owned period! It climbs excellent with the 29ers and being my size I need all the help I can get but it is fast and smooth up hill and the geometry is comfortable and powerful. I actually think that climbing in the middle trail setting the bike actually faster climbing than being locked out. So.....let's talk about the downhill. This bike darts quickly where you point it and is very stable, it glides and floats and is smooth and you will literally laugh out loud on how well the suspension works and how fast you are moving. The bike is flat out awesome! See a rut, rock drop and the bike just doesn't care and it is so silky it is freaky. The front Fox fork being 140mm and 34mm in this bike is so stiff it is just flat out incredible. Having the DCRV is way better on the back shock, where it works better than the front is very good. I have made some changes to this bike for my size and making it easier to climb which is a 3 ring front XT crank vs. the 2 ring with the standard 11-36 in back and I also opted out of the dropper seatpost due to the fact I blow through lightweight shocks front or back and having a heavy seat post fail on me or shrink when riding I have no interest in. I also upgraded the wheels from the Bontrager Rhythm Elite to the Bontrager Rhythm Pro and I changed out the rock hard road bike type seat with something that works but whatever its a seat.
    What can I say I love this bike and I have had Giant and two recent Santa Cruz bikes and it was hard for me to switch to Trek but I did because what you get for the dollar and the technology in the suspension cannot be equaled in my opinion especially on the Remedy 9 that has the whole XT component specification.
    Buy one and rock and role it will make you comfortable and fast when you climb and make you laugh when you go down hill....by the way the twin XT 180mm disc brakes are awesome....forget all the other brakes out there.
    Rock n roll.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Switching out for a triple and ditching the dropper post. Why didn't you just buy an 8?

Glad to hear it's a great ride, I'm planning to pick one up soon, the note on the top tube I was thinking about myself and had planned on as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I got a special type of deal or I would of got the 8. I like the polished aluminum look and the resell value of the 9.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    I believe that droppers are the best seatposts out there. When you climb, you can have it set at your correct height, and when you descend you stand up and lower the seat. Unless you descend while sitting down, then I see no reason to drop the dropper.
    Also, why did you turn it into a 3x10? The 3rd gear adds an insanely large ring that can only be used on fast downhills.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I believe that droppers are the best seatposts out there. When you climb, you can have it set at your correct height, and when you descend you stand up and lower the seat. Unless you descend while sitting down, then I see no reason to drop the dropper.
    Also, why did you turn it into a 3x10? The 3rd gear adds an insanely large ring that can only be used on fast downhills.
    The reason I got the 3x10 on this is because I need a lower to move my big butt up the hill I do use the big ring for fast down hills and frankly I think that I would pressed the weight limit on any dropper seat post and I do not lower my seat almost ever unless I am riding lifts and bombing downhill all day but then I can just lower it. It is a big weight difference.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ballman View Post
    The reason I got the 3x10 on this is because I need a lower to move my big butt up the hill I do use the big ring for fast down hills and frankly I think that I would pressed the weight limit on any dropper seat post and I do not lower my seat almost ever unless I am riding lifts and bombing downhill all day but then I can just lower it. It is a big weight difference.
    You weigh 280lb and ride a 30lb bike. You ditch a dropper which could potentially create an entirely new riding experience (trust me on this, I thought it was a gimmick, but now I hate riding without one) to shave <1lb????????????

Plus going triple for a lower first is completely overkill when you could have changed out the small ring on the double for something smaller.

With that being said... Wanna sell me your stock crankset? I'm ditching my triple because I bash my big ring all the time and never use it....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Until you have 3 out of 6 Reverb seatposts fail in the first several months on bikes sold in our shop. This has been my experience with them. Love the idea, just not the execution.

Mikey

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyonthemadone View Post
    Until you have 3 out of 6 Reverb seatposts fail in the first several months on bikes sold in our shop. This has been my experience with them. Love the idea, just not the execution.

Mikey
    I have heard bad things about almost every dropper, but the Reverb should be better than that.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!