mtbr member
    Oct 2013

2014 Superfly geometry/sizing

Hi guys,

I'm 196cm (6'5") guy with 97cm (~38") of inseam. I'm planning to change my old Giant to some 29er and I decided to buy new Superfly 6. In comparison to 2013 models, these have longer top tubes with lowered seat tubes at the same time. I don't know which size I should take - 21.5" or 23". First one seemed to be OK but I'm afraid about the seat tube length - factory 400mm seatpost was only 2-3cm (~1inch) below the limit. Is that enough? Unfortunately I don't have a chance to try 23" but the top tube may be too long for me (67.3cm instead of 65.9cm). On the other hand, Trek 29ers are long in general (in comparison to other brands) because of G2. What size should I buy?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Can you get a Trek dealer to do a fitting? I just bought a 2014 Superfly FS 9. The dealer had a 17.5 and a 19.5 in stock. They setup both bikes for me and had me ride them around severals times, switching back and forth. In the end they determined a 18.5 would be the best fit. I got that last week. Over the weekend I rode about 40 miles divided between paved path (~15 miles), packed gravel (~5 miles) and dirt singletrack (~20 miles). I'm glad I did the fitting since the bike seem pretty comfortable. I have a 100/17 stem on it now, but plan to try a 100/7 and 110/7.

Anyway, I'm glad I did a dealer fitting first.
    2014 Trek Superfly FS 9; 2013 Trek Domane 4.5

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks RaceTripper,

I'm afraid, It won't be possible to have dealer fitting - In one shop they told me that I should take 23" (they didn't have any 2014 models on stock), in other shop dealer told me that I should take 21.5" (they have only 21.5" and 18.5"). And this is the main reason of my concerns

P.S. What is your height and inseam? I'm buying also Superfly for my girlfriend and I suppose that 18.5" should be fine for her, but I'm not sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafu View Post
    Thanks RaceTripper,

I'm afraid, It won't be possible to have dealer fitting - In one shop they told me that I should take 23" (they didn't have any 2014 models on stock), in other shop dealer told me that I should take 21.5" (they have only 21.5" and 18.5"). And this is the main reason of my concerns

P.S. What is your height and inseam? I'm buying also Superfly for my girlfriend and I suppose that 18.5" should be fine for her, but I'm not sure.
    I am 5'10" with 32" inseam. My wife is 5'6" with a 32" inseam and they fit her with a 17.5" Superfly.

My dealer spent quite some time with both of us, measuring and checking angles, changing stems, seat post height etc. to make sure we each had the correct fitting bike, properly adjusted before we left with our new bikes. There was no guessing involved.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have 35" inseam and ride a 21, someone like you probably needs the 23". These bikes feel awesome with short(er) stem. I'm only 5'11", but super long legs (for my height) and short torso/arms... so I run a 21" frame with 80mm stem and 690mm bars, best fitting bike i've ever had. After riding size 19.5" bikes for years, I was nervous... but I corner aggressively just fine on the 21. Best fitting, most aggressive bike i've owned. Go for the 23", for sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    @rfxc
    Do you have any problems with your back and wrists? I am just worried that I will be stretched too much. We do 60-100km trips and it is important for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm 5'10, but with long torso. I just demoed a large 2014 Superfly , the 19 inch was perfect !! I loved the bike, I have now a 2013 Rocky Mountain 999 RSL Element. The Superfly was faster and the front end stayed down and planted to the ground. I really like the way it steers and handles.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    @rfxc
    Do you have any problems with your back and wrists? I am just worried that I will be stretched too much. We do 60-100km trips and it is important for me.
    No. I did 5 races this summer over 50mi, all singletrack. Try diff stems and riser bars if necessary.

I'd rather be riding
    I have a 34" and ride a 21. I'd put you on a 23!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks guys,

I hope I will have a chance to check both sizes but I will probably take 23".

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have one more question - Is it worth to pay extra cash for Superfly 7?
    It has several upgrades over the Superfly 6:
    RockShox Reba RL w/15mm Maxle Lite (+ tapered steerer)
    15mm front, 142x12 rear thru axles
    FSA F2000 36/22 crank
    Shimano SLX/XT Shadow plus drivetrain
    Shimano M615 hydraulic disc brakes

Do thru axles and tapered steerer make that big difference in stiffness? I see that these features are standard in more high-end products and it is not so easy to upgrade fork with custom 51mm offset later on, however I prefer SF6 painting and full SRAM/Shimano drivetrain instead of both groups mixes

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Tapered steering is frame dependent and the frame is the same. !5mm is valuable because you will likely upgrade the wheel at some point. The XT rear seems to be less trouble to run.
    My recommendation is to go a little more for the major ride upgrade of the carbon frame in the 9.6.
    Pretty much a different bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    FYI, Only the Superfly 5, 8, 9.6, 9.8 and 9.9 are available in the 23" size. The others only go up to 21". I guess Trek had to draw the line somewhere when they added the extra sizes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Size vary for the Superfly FS models as well.

The FS 9.8 has 15.5, 17.5, 19, 21. The FS 9 has 15.5, 17.5, 18.5, 19.5, 21.5 and 23. The FS 6 has what the FS 9 has, except for no 23"

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Tapered steering is frame dependent and the frame is the same. !5mm is valuable because you will likely upgrade the wheel at some point. The XT rear seems to be less trouble to run.
    My recommendation is to go a little more for the major ride upgrade of the carbon frame in the 9.6.
    Pretty much a different bike.
    @eb1888

Thanks for that suggestion but SF 9.6 is definitely beyond my reach

Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy View Post
    FYI, Only the Superfly 5, 8, 9.6, 9.8 and 9.9 are available in the 23" size. The others only go up to 21". I guess Trek had to draw the line somewhere when they added the extra sizes.
    @kdiddy

I am from Poland and both SF 6 and 7 are offered in all sizes here. In case of Superfly 6 you can also choose between two paintworks

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Get the 23." Brace yourself - the Superfly is gonna rock your world, man....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    @eb1888

Thanks for that suggestion but SF 9.6 is definitely beyond my reach
    I hear you. Trek has 3 levels of dealer based on sales with platinum the top with the most discount on bikes the dealer buys. ...and so able to be more flexible on price. Additionally the price onsite is the higher of two suggested retail prices..the other is about 5% less. Talk to your dealer in a negotiating way and see what you can do. The carbon is a worth a lot of effort. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Guys, I know that we are in Trek thread but I found this bike as quite good alternative to Superfly:
    Grand Canyon AL SLX 7.9
    I can get it in comparable price to Superfly 7 and it has specs on SF 8 level. What do you think about it? They have super short top tubes but I believe (or want to believe) that for sure there is some logic behind that geometry - It is the same as in their top carbon models used by Topeak Ergon Team

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That is an excellent bike with very close geo and a quality company behind it. I wouldn't hesitate to choose that and would probably be riding the lowest 2014 Superfly geometry/sizing-2014-grand-canyon-sl-6.9.jpgspec carbon version if it was available in the US. I've followed it since it came out. But carbon brings almost a rear suspension in performance to a hard tail. It is really a different bike because of the engineering they put into the carbon frame. Damping plus lower weight. Find a way to get a CF SL 6.9. It will save you money in the long run because you will keep it longer. Watch sizing as it has a steeper seat tube.
    https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainb...ke.html?b=3169

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    CF versions are awesome but I have to stay with the AL one. I was not easy to convince my fiancee that we need even those This is our first serious bikes - next ones will have carbon frame for sure. Regarding the very steep seat tube, I heard that Canyon engineers designed them that way to improve riding uphill. I don't have much choice in case of size because XL (21.5") is the biggest one but in case of my girlfriend, we may choose between M (17.5") recommended by sizing guide on Canyon site and L (19"). They have really good terms and you can order different stem or even replace your bike for different size for free (they also cover shipping costs).