Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

2014 Remedy 650b

Thought I'd start up a new thread for these. I really want one and ideally I'd like to have a proper test ride but it would mean a few hours drive just to get to the test trail. Therefore I'd like to know/hear what people think of them if they actually own, or have ridden one.

mtbr member
    I have been riding my 2014 Trek Remedy 8 650b for a couple of months now and love it. I was actually set on buying a Santa Cruz Bronson or 5010, loved the way the 5010 climbed and how the Bronson descends. My local dealer had a Remedy that I took for a spin and was sold. It climbs awesome and flies downhill. For me it was the best of both worlds.

My previous bikes were a 2006 SC Heckler and a Giant XTC 2 29er. Both have been sold and the Remedy will be my only bike. 140mm of travel is perfect for the trails in my area.

I made a couple of changes so far. Added wider bars (780mm), short stem (50mm), Maxxis High Roller II tubeless tires, and converted to 1x10 (33t RaceFace chainring and MRP direct mount guide). I plan on adding a dropper post at some point, otherwise its pretty dialed in.

2014 Remedy 650b-remedy1.jpg

2014 Remedy 650b-remedy2.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What size is your remedy? I am 5"10 and am considering ordering a 18.5 remedy 7

I was looking at the Slash 650 but think the remedy might be a better do it all bike for Super D, Enduro and some DH. I am actually looking for a 18.5 in Cali

Quote Originally Posted by piersurf View Post
    I have been riding my 2014 Trek Remedy 8 650b for a couple of months now and love it. I was actually set on buying a Santa Cruz Bronson or 5010, loved the way the 5010 climbed and how the Bronson descends. My local dealer had a Remedy that I took for a spin and was sold. It climbs awesome and flies downhill. For me it was the best of both worlds.

My previous bikes were a 2006 SC Heckler and a Giant XTC 2 29er. Both have been sold and the Remedy will be my only bike. 140mm of travel is perfect for the trails in my area.

I made a couple of changes so far. Added wider bars (780mm), short stem (50mm), Maxxis High Roller II tubeless tires, and converted to 1x10 (33t RaceFace chainring and MRP direct mount guide). I plan on adding a dropper post at some point, otherwise its pretty dialed in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	remedy1.jpg 
Views:	4878 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	859512

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	remedy2.jpg 
Views:	2160 
Size:	233.6 KB 
ID:	859513

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eruizela View Post
    What size is your remedy? I am 5"10 and am considering ordering a 18.5 remedy 7

I was looking at the Slash 650 but think the remedy might be a better do it all bike for Super D, Enduro and some DH. I am actually looking for a 18.5 in Cali

It's a 19.5", I'm 6' and it fits like a glove.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the reply. I'm currently riding a 2013 Rumblefish Elite, which is a lovely bike but I want something a bit more playful now, & I'm sold on the 650b Remedy 8.
    I went to sit on one today (no test track nearby, just a car park) but the shop didn't have any in stock, and now I don't know what size to go for. I'm 6'1 and was considering the 21" frame (as is my Rumblefish) as I quite like the slight "oversize" feel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I think the Remedy's fit a little smaller than the Rumblefish, so you would be wise to stick with the same size, if that's what you like. The Chainstays will be shorter than your 'fish, and the wheels won't roll over stuff as well on the 650B, so if you sized smaller, you may feel too "over the front". The smaller wheels and shorter chain stays alone will make the bike feel very playful in comparison to your 'fish.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

2014 Remedy 650b

Question; anyone out there fit a 150mm or even a 160mm fork on a 650b Remedy? If so how is it in terms of geo and balance?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I was considering a fuel ex9 and arranged a demo, fortunately they didn't have one and ended taking out a 650 remedy 9 - absolutely awesome. Great in the technical stuff, good in the air and a really good climber.

Stuck trying to justify the hefty uplift in price from the 8, the xt spec really felt sharp and the dropper post really worked, not used one before. Think i am convincing myself on this one...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I test rode the Remedy 9 650b in the store only. I love the feel, ride, and how quick it felt. I may be selling my Fuel 8 to get it because the price is so steep and I just paid off my Superfly 100 Al Elite. I also test rode the Slash 9 650b a bit of over kill for Colorado Springs, Co but still would love a Slash. The Remedy 9 with pedals in a 17.5 weighed in at 30lbs. I couldn't believe that the Slash is almost a pound lighter but it does have that awesome Sram drive train on it. The Remedy feels like it would be an awesome bike to have in anyone's stable. If I don't go after the 9 I really like the color of the 7 and have heard mixed reviews about the Revelation that is on the Remedy 7. I want them both....lol
    “Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

First impressions 2014 Remedy 9.8 27.5/650b

I was looking for something a little more trail-oriented than my 100mm travel 29er. After testing several 27.5” bikes I found a nearby Trek dealer who had just received a Remedy 9.8 demo bike. Rented it for a day so I could take in on trails I was used to riding, and I was sold! The handling was sharper than my 29er, and the increased travel was much appreciated. The only negative was that the wheel/tire combo was heavier than that on my 29er (by ~2 lb!) which made it feel a little more sluggish despite the smaller wheel size. However, I figured this could be “remedied” with aftermarket wheels and lighter, tubeless tires. The 19.5” demo bike weighed 29 lb without pedals.

Trek didn’t have a 19.5” 9.8 on inventory in Wisconsin, but the area rep found one in a warehouse that my dealer could buy. The shop agreed to swap the wheels and tires and to replace the XT 2x10 crank with a 3x10 so I could run 24/32 chainrings. Decided to go with the new Industry 9 27.5” Trail 32-spoke wheels: light weight (~1500g), 23.4mm inner width, and incredible 3° engagement (120poe). Exchanged the 705g 2.35 Team Issue XR3 tires for the 635g 2.20 size - I was willing to sacrifice a bit of grip and cushion for less rotating mass. I swapped Fizik Gobi XM saddle and Ergon grips from my other bike and added a Bontrager Sideswipe RL bottle cage due to restricted area for water bottle. Final bike weighed 27.0 lb on the shop scale (without pedals).

I’ve only had it on four rides, but I’m lovin’ it. Much prefer it to previous bikes on all trails. Trek must have spec’d a special fork offset because the handling is very sharp for a 68° head angle (I haven’t tired switching the mino link to the slacker 67.5° angle). The fork and shock were easy to set up and absorb big bumps better than anything I’ve tried. I don’t miss the larger 29”-wheel rollover at all. The 9.8 doesn’t have the high end Kashima fork or shock, but the CTD settings are handy and the suspension works well. I like how the bike climbs (to the extent that I like climbing) - feedback and traction are good and it seems efficient with little bob (I even climb in Descend mode when it’s rough). The descending is in another league compare to my 100mm travel 29er. The extra travel eats up larger hits, the rigid 34mm fork is confidence inspiring, and the wheels feel plenty stiff. Oh yes, the wheels - the I9s really liven up the bike! They are noticeably faster spinning up and handling due to the reduced rotational mass and 2 lb less unsprung weight. They make a good bike great.

No trail pix yet but here are a couple of shots in the front yard. (note: I had to spec red spokes to get 32 instead of 24 as black 32-spoke wheelsets were not yet available. I was worried that the red might be too flashy, but they look OK plus I don’t notice from the cockpit.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Levity- great looking bike. I'm in the market for a remedy 9.8 but unsure of size. I'm 6 with a 32 inch inseam and long arms. I had a 2012 slash 9 in a 19.5 but sold it. Cockpit was too tight and I could not find a 21.5 frame. How does the cockpit feel for your size?

I tested a remedy 7 in the parking lot of my lbs. I rode a 19.5 and 21.5. I liked the cockpit of the 21.5, but the 19.5 felt a tad more lively. 19.5 cockpit felt ok, but bit tight.

Does anyone know what the disadvantages of riding a slightly bigger frame?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It will be more stable but less flickable.

I am also 6ft and I had a 19.5 (18.5 actual) Fuel EX 26er and it was just perfect. Now I switched to a Medium Giant Reign SX and for the type of riding the SX is designed for the M feels much better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hobbs,

I agree with Paris' assessment. I'm 6', 33" inseam, 34" sleeve, and the 19.5" effective size feels spot on with the stock 80mm stem. The front end doesn't tend to lift up on steep climbs, and I may even go down to a 70mm stem. I don't feel the need for any additional stability that a longer wheelbase might offer. I think a 21.5" frame would be way too much bike on the trail for me - just more to push around, especially on tight turns.

I'm surprised that you found the cockpit on a 19.5" Slash too tight, but maybe your longer torso and arms require more room. Parking lot impressions can be misleading - you really need to take a bike(s) out on the type of terrain you ride to find out what works best. On the trail you'll probably ride more aggressively with you elbows bent more which requires a smaller cockpit. If demos are not an option play with the seat position, stem length and height, bar width, and try to ride in the "attack position" even in the parking lot- all these affect cockpit feel.

Take the time and make the effort to get the right fit whether it's a 19.5" or 21.5" size. Given your experience with the Slash, you may turn out to be more comfortable with 21.5" frame, seat forward, and a shorter 50-60mm stem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Treks run small. I used to have a 19" remedy, now I have a 21" remedy with shorter stem-- I'll never go back!

I'm 6' even, long legs, short arms.

IMHO, anything over a 70mm stem will not give you the stability and confidence that this bike is capable of.

I've used mine for 50mi backcountry epic rides with my buddies on xc rigs, and I've got 6 days of enduro racing on it in 2013. Love it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Sorry but Trek Remedy 19.5 with 61.8cm effective top tube runs small? And a 1.83cm (6ft) needs a 21.5 with 64.6cm top tube? Check the geometry here

Trek Bicycle

It is always a matter of preference but I disagree.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Pay more attention to stack and reach. Eff top tube becomes less informative when the seat tube is not continuous-- ie, it has a dramatic rearward angle above the suspension pivot-- this can inflate the more traditional eff top tube measurement.

I'm 6' even. Long legs (saddle height 785mm from bb to top of saddle) and short arms.

in the last 3 years, I have owned a 19" superfly hardtail, a 19" Top Fuel, a 19 SF100, a 21" SF100, a 19" Remedy, and 21 Remedy. I have raced every single one of these bikes multiple times, whether in cat 1 xc, 50 milers, or enduros.

i'll never go back to the smaller frame in trek. I'd also tell people that want to descend aggressively-- err on a bike that's a bit too big with shorter stem, rather than the other way around.

Even the 650b Remedy reviewed in Bike mag's bible of bike tests edition (last month?) mentioned that their bike felt a bit small compared to other brands of equal size.

If the OP was looking for opinions and experience, there's mine, for what it's worth.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    So the biggest available size in Trek Remedy line is perfect for a 6 ft rider with long legs, short torso and arms? Which means for someone who has the upper body of a shorter person. What about taller riders or riders with a more balanced body? Or even riders with long torso and arms? Isn't there any Remedy size for them?

I suppose you know that you shouldn't correct wrong sizes with longer or shorter stems etc. Yes you can use a combination of shorter stem and wider bar to have better control (I use a 50mm stem with a 780 riser bar) but it doesn't make much sense to go on a bigger size only because you want a shorter stem. In your case however it would make sense only because of your long inseam.

Sorry my friend it is your opinion and experience and I respect it but I just disagree.

PS. No need to start mentioning how many bikes I have (had), what I do etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My body dimensions are a bit freakish, I suppose-- no disagreement there

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks guys for all the advise. After doing some research (and your opinions) I think I'll settle for a 19.5 frame. As much as the cockpit of the 21.5 frame was roomy, I'm afraid I'd lose control on tight turns or technical sections. I say this because on my 19.5 fuel ex8, I feel confident on the trail and the 21.5 remedy had a different feel, although the extra room was nice.

Now I just have to order the bike and wait and wait and wait and wait until it comes in.

Thanks again all!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post
    So the biggest available size in Trek Remedy line is perfect for a 6 ft rider with long legs, short torso and arms?
    FWIW, JHK is riding a 21.5" Remedy 9.8 and he is listed at 6'1" in height. He has always rode Treks in an XL size. I think Trek assumes bigger riders will go with the Remedy 29er that has a 23" size. I am 5'11" and went with a 19.5 in a 9.8, but debated going with a 21" It all depends on how much you like to be over the front wheel vs behind it, as well as how upright vs "long and low" you like to be on the bike. The Remedy's are a bit short coming from an XC bike. Sizing via the internet is always a gamble and it is best to try and ride both sizes (with the appropriate stem swap) if you can. I agree that you can't fit the wrong size bike with a long or short stem, but many people have more than 1 "right" size bike with the stem length adjusted properly. A bike with a longer wheelbase might be easier for climbing in that it will be easier to position your weight between the wheels better to maintain traction on the rear wheel (ex, if you stand up, you won't have to focus on keeping you weight on the rear wheel quite as much).

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Remedy isn't a XC bike and there is no need to ride it as one. Even Trek lists it as a technical trail and enduro bike and in my opinion it is supposed to be agile and flickable and I doubt that a 21 for someone 1.83 cm (6ft) will be the best option but it is just me.

Also I really don't understand what roomy cockpit means. I prefer my house to be roomy but I prefer my bike to have the perfect fit.

Anyway it all comes down to personal taste so there is no need to keep arguing about it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Kdiddy - thanks for the insight.

Paris - when I say "roomy", it's meant as my knees are not cramp so close to the handle bars as I pedal. The 19.5 frame, my knees are about 5.5 inches away. On the 21.5 frame, I have about 7 inches of room between my knees and handle bar. Not to mention I am very "upright" on the 19.5 frame. I am more stretched out on the 21.5 frame, which I would shorten the stem a bit to "straighten" up a little. Hope this helps clear a little bit up regarding my term "roomy".

But thank you all for the opinions, experiences and advice. All of what was offered to me was heavily weighted in my decision for a 19.5 frame. Now it's time to wait and receive the bike and just ride the crap out of it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Good choice and great bike. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think I'm leaning more towards a 21" frame (I'm 6'1), for the same reasons as Hobbs305. I've just got to sell my Rumblefish first, & then I'll be placing the order.
    Happy riding! & Don't forget to post some pictures up!

Albany West Oz
    Okay, so help me out here, I am about to buy a remedy either 650 or 29r and can't decide which, currently ride a rush converted to 650b with relaxed (angleset) head angle, like it but want more travel etc...

Anyways read this on a review of the 29r when first released:

Why Not 650B?

There is no doubt in our minds that the new Remedy would be readily accepted by more riders had Trek decided to design the bike around 650B wheels. This fact isn't lost on the Wisconsin brand, and they conceded that they have been testing numerous different 29'' and 650B-wheeled platforms for some time, including the 29er DH mule from a few years ago that is pictured at right (no, Trek is not pursuing the bike shown). When it came time to make the call as to what wheel size to go with for the new Remedy, Trek felt that the 29er version was simply a better bike, knowing full well that there would be more consumer resistance than if they had gone with the 'tweener wheels.
    So, does that mean that trek think the 29r is a "better" (for what, I guess is the question) bike or is all the talk just marketing BS.

Yours in confusion, dave.
    Don't grow up, it's a trap.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast