Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2014 Fuel EX 5 29er vs 2013 or 2014 EX 6

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ThinkerBike 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get a full suspension bike over the winter. And the bikes mentioned are the ones I'm considering. Maybe even the 2014 EX 7 29er. Right now I own a Giant Revel 0 29er. It's a fun bike, but at times can feel a little sketchy on the trails. I was looking into the 26er to have the more flickable/control over the bike. But Trek says with the new G2 Geometry, the 29er is just as nimble as the 26. My problem with my Giant, sometimes it just feels like a monster truck. But not agile at all. Just able to roll over, and climb. But feels like it has the radius of a semi truck haha!!!

So out of the bikes mentioned, which would you choose. I'm pissed I missed out on the close out for the 13 EX 7! All because I couldn't make up my mind fast enough.:madmax: Ya snooze, ya lose!!

#2 ·
I have the 2013 Fuel Ex 7 and it is a great bike for sure but the 2014 Ex 6 doesn't seem too far away and it is also cheaper. Yes it doesn't have the fox fork and fox drcv rear shock but the frame and the geometry remain the same. Also I prefer the black - red vs the black - green but this is just a matter of taste.

Now regarding the 29er. Personally I had a Scott Spark 29er and I had the same feeling with you. It felt too big for trails etc but it was a 2013 model. Now everyone says thay the new generation performs much better but I am not sure about that. Only way to be sure is to demo one.

But honestly I don't like the fact that all Trek 29ers (Fuel and Remedy) have less travel than last year. I would prefer them to keep the travel and get the bigger wheels as well.

#3 ·
Yeah, I rode the 18.5 fuel ex 7 29er. And it didn't seem as bad as my Revel. But of course, that was only demoing it in the parking lot. Which is no where close to trail riding. I like my trek for normal riding, or the easy trails. But once things get a little technical, then it doesn't feel all that great. I don't to be in that same situation going with one of the 29er EX models. And of course my local shop doesn't have the EX5 29er or EX 6 in stock

#6 ·
I love my Fuel! the 5 doesn't have the highest spec rating but it does still have the full floater, ABP, and G2 geo which make it ride very nice! I ride in Pennsylvania and it eats up all the rocks and roots with ease much nicer then my hard tail that I used to ride. Obviously if you can afford a 7 or a higher model then go for it but otherwise it is great I have no complaints.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.