mtbr member
    Aug 2014

2014 Bontrager Duster Elites vs Rhythm Elites

I'm currently riding on stock Duster Elites on my Stache 7, and have the opportunity to upgrade to Rhythm Elites. Is it a worthy upgrade? Which wheel is more durable?
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2015 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Personally, I would put that money towards a wide rim build for more comfort and performance.

mtbr member
    If it is the new Rhythm Elite's that just came out recently they are a better wheel for sure. They are stronger and also have the rapid drive hub with the increased number of contact points in the freehub.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Trek just warranteed the wheel on my Stache and they upgraded me to the Duster Elite's from the standard Duster's that came on my 2013 7. When I go to their site I can never find info on the Duster's, all I see is the Rhythm. Is there a more complete page somewhere that I am missing? Thanks

Bontrager: Products > Components > Wheels

usually cranky
    no, the duster is a wheel trek puts on their lower spec bikes. definitely go for the elites, the new hub is really great.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    no, the duster is a wheel trek puts on their lower spec bikes. definitely go for the elites, the new hub is really great.
    the duster elites you mean?

mtbr member
    @bob_m - The Duster Elites are a new wheel for 2015 model bikes. They only come on bikes as an OEM part I do not believe you can purchase them aftermarket yet.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Britishnate View Post
    @bob_m - The Duster Elites are a new wheel for 2015 model bikes. They only come on bikes as an OEM part I do not believe you can purchase them aftermarket yet.
    Ok thanks, I am glad they upgraded me. I am no longer breaking spokes with the new wheel. Bob
    Last edited by bob_m; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That's good to know that the Duster Elites are better than the "1st edition Dusters". Hopefully Trek has hammered out the kinks. I was concerned as a couple guys I know who had Dusters had to quickly upgrade them due to all the broken spokes they were getting.
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2015 Trek Stache 7

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_m View Post
    the duster elites you mean?

sorry, i meant the rhythm elites. i have the line elites, really good hub.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Interceptor View Post
    That's good to know that the Duster Elites are better than the "1st edition Dusters". Hopefully Trek has hammered out the kinks. I was concerned as a couple guys I know who had Dusters had to quickly upgrade them due to all the broken spokes they were getting.
    With the original dusters I had the bike shop upgrade me to tubeless. This required me purchasing new XR4 expert tires but the rims remained. Once I switched to Tubeless my troubles began, partly because I was riding harder but I started breaking spokes and losing air. Finally I broke the prowls in the hub and Trek warranteed the wheel. Now with the duster elite, I no longer loose air, break spokes and the hub is working like it should. I am happy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So what is the engagement like on the Duster Elite rear hub? Does it have the same rapid engagement as the Rhythm?

Primative Screwhead
    Quote Originally Posted by JOwens14 View Post
    So what is the engagement like on the Duster Elite rear hub? Does it have the same rapid engagement as the Rhythm?
    I own the Duster Elites. Freehub engagement is at least on par with Easton EA90/Shimano XTR/Dura Ace (other wheels I own.) In other words, it's fine. The Rhythm Elite hubs do sound much better than average, however.

The Duster Elites are good wheels, IMO.
    Ego maniacs please object to my posts.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Are the Duster elites still 28h, and are they still using straight 15g spokes on them (like they did on the previous Dusters)?

Those were the two issues I believe contributed to them not holding up for aggressive riders on 'trail bikes'.