mtbr member
    Jun 2012

2013 Trek Superfly carbon frame problems

I am consider a Trek Superfly 9.8.

I have heard in the past that superfly's had some frame problems (2012 and prior?) and frame's were changed in 2013.

Anyone have any good or bad result's with superfly carbon frames?

If so, type of riding, year of frame, weight, etc

thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The 2014 Superfly 9.8 is a new frame this year with the shorter chainstays and slightly lower BB. Not sure they have been out long enough for people to review. I think Europe may get a 9.8 SL version.
    I have a 2013 Superfly Elite SL and have had it for almost 6 month with no issues. I bought it knowing that Trek would take care of it if there was an issue. I like the vertical compliance of the frame compared my old aluminum Rig. I have used it for racing and general trail riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks. Your weight? I have no doubt trek will honor warranty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I am 165 lbs. The new bikes have a different carbon layup that isn't quite as light and has slightly less vertical compliance as the SL's. I would really like to try one of the new ones to see how they ride, though I have no complaints with mine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have a 2013 Superfly. Bought it new on June 14th. I have since rode just over a 1000 miles on it. I have had no issues whatsoever with the frame. I ride single track in Northern Indiana and Southern Michigan. It has also been down to Brown County, IN twice. I weigh right at 200.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have a 2014 superfly 9.8. I think it was one of the first in the US. Frame is an upgrade from last years in my opinion. Lifetime warranty with Trek on frame anyway. Bike is great setup with full XT. Changed the grips and that was it. Haven't weighed it yet but definitely lighter than my wife's superfly al from last year. Carbon rides way better than her aluminum frame as well. My first carbon mountain bike and the talk of vibration going away is real.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Lewis
    Cool. thanks.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have a 2014 superfly 9.8. I think it was one of the first in the US. Frame is an upgrade from last years in my opinion. Lifetime warranty with Trek on frame anyway. Bike is great setup with full XT. Changed the grips and that was it. Haven't weighed it yet but definitely lighter than my wife's superfly al from last year. Carbon rides way better than her aluminum frame as well. My first carbon mountain bike and the talk of vibration going away is real.
    It sounds like you didn't ride last year's model to be able to say it's an upgrade though. Just wondering.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Looked at the superfly comp but not a big sram fan. Also lbs didn't have my size. Saw the 9.8 and called the shop. Trek regional rep happened to be there and I got my bike order in. Don't have any direct riding experience with older trek carbon frames. I weigh 155.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Trek finally resolved the Superfly 100 problems, by the 2012 model year onwards. They increased unidirectional layups in the seat tube, head tube and rear swingarm chainstay bridge, without adding much extra weight(I believe LESS than 75g).
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Trek finally resolved the Superfly 100 problems, by the 2012 model year onwards. They increased unidirectional layups in the seat tube, head tube and rear swingarm chainstay bridge, without adding much extra weight(I believe LESS than 75g).
    Thanks! I take it they did the same with their hardtails?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    I would not say totally fixed. They replaced my wife's 2012 SF100 chain stay because of a crack at the bridge. The crack looked the same as the one on my 2010 SF100.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've demoed the 9.8. 5 hours on my home trails.
    It was really fun. Excellent quickness slow, stable with good feel and damping at speed.
    Europe gets a frameset option? Where is that for us.

J79
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Had a strange problem with my SF 100, but I still would buy the frame again without any hesitation. Actually made my best friend order one a few days back.

Trek solved my issue in a satisfying manner, the damage was not the result of manufacturing error. Just seems to be an unlucky turn of events, that damaged my frame.
    Will be getting my replacement frame in the next few days, and canīt wait to take the SF again to the trails!

2013 Trek Superfly carbon frame problems-ubugy9ab.jpg

mtbr member
    I run a 2012 superfly pro ht. I ride in Wisconsin and weigh about 215 suited up. Handles everything I throw at it with no problems.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    lewis17web, DLd, Did you have a chance to weigh your 9.8's? stock (other than grips), with pedals and size? Thanks!