Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Zaf
    mtbr member

2013 Trek Superfly AL Elite (pics)

You're all well jell of how good my bike shed looks.

Just some glory shots at the moment, because it's a gorgeous bike!! It arrived today, spent the afternoon putting it together, which is why it is so clean next to my 2012 Fuel Ex 9, as it got well dark before I could ride it, so I'll have to wait until the morning to take her for a spin.

Mean while, I'll show off some happy snaps of her.

So new I haven't even had a chance to take the reflectors off (cable routing wasn't even completed in the last shot, not tyres infalted). Also, tyre pressures haven't been checked, I use a compressor, but the gauge on the hose seems to have died so having to inflate them then get a release gauge and bring them back down.

Have some Maxxis tyres on the way over as well, but seeing how the Bontrager 29-1's that came with it go, a lot of dry hardpack out here, but I suspect they'll be a little skatey.
    Last edited by Zaf; 09-10-2012 at 07:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaf View Post
    You're all well jell of how good my bike shed looks.

Just some glory shots at the moment, because it's a gorgeous bike!! It arrived today, spent the afternoon putting it together, which is why it is so clean next to my 2012 Fuel Ex 9, as it got well dark before I could ride it, so I'll have to wait until the morning to take her for a spin.

Mean while, I'll show off some happy snaps of her.

So new I haven't even had a chance to take the reflectors off (cable routing wasn't even completed in the last shot, not tyres infalted). Also, tyre pressures haven't been checked, I use a compressor, but the gauge on the hose seems to have died so having to inflate them then get a release gauge and bring them back down.

Have some Maxxis tyres on the way over as well, but seeing how the Bontrager 29-1's that came with it go, a lot of dry hardpack out here, but I suspect they'll be a little skatey.
    Thank you very much for uploading these! I have ordered one (due in 10/10/2012 ) but was really unsure on the colour, this is helpign to convince me!

Quick queastion what comes in the box with the bike please?

Zaf
    mtbr member
    The box comes with the flat packed bike, front and rear reflectors, a bell (not kidding), Trek Owner's Information handbook + DVD, tapered sealed bearing headset, some cable ties and the little Fork fork brake cable management cover thing.

There was no Bontrager high pressure shock pump in there, which I thought was unusual, as a lot of the other Trek's usually throw one in. I had one already from my Fuel Ex 9, and their website states that one is included in the purchase, so a little miffed at that omission.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The box comes with the flat packed bike, front and rear reflectors, a bell (not kidding), Trek Owner's Information handbook + DVD, tapered sealed bearing headset, some cable ties and the little Fork fork brake cable management cover thing.

There was no Bontrager high pressure shock pump in there, which I thought was unusual, as a lot of the other Trek's usually throw one in. I had one already from my Fuel Ex 9, and their website states that one is included in the purchase, so a little miffed at that omission.

Cheers trying to find out what is with it so you are saying there should be a shock pump ? Also was there valves for converting to tubeless please ? Where does the website say what is included ?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Argh, I must have been looking at another page. I thought there was going to be a shock pump available, but there isn't. Says the "extras" under the details listing for the bike on their website. Also forgot the fork Sag Meter is included (I think it's still on in most of those shots as I'd not yet set the forks up).

No valves for converting to tubeless included, but the rims are tubeless ready with regards to tape etc. I'm going to wait for my Ikon's to come in before I go tubeless.]

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Argh, I must have been looking at another page. I thought there was going to be a shock pump available, but there isn't. Says the "extras" under the details listing for the bike on their website. Also forgot the fork Sag Meter is included (I think it's still on in most of those shots as I'd not yet set the forks up).

No valves for converting to tubeless included, but the rims are tubeless ready with regards to tape etc. I'm going to wait for my Ikon's to come in before I go tubeless.]
    Cheers, well at least the rim tape is there, just need to get valves and a shock pump. Thanks for getting back to me, be sure to post how it rides please

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Zaf
    mtbr member
    It's a bit cold this morning, just going to get those reflectors off, adjust my cleat tension, throw in a some sealant in the inner tubes, check pressures then take her out for a burn.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Oh yeah, clocks in at 11.3kg with pedals and bottle cages on.

mtbr member
    Pretty light for an out of the box bike, going tubeless on a set of Stan's Arch would shave a pound easily

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Alright, taken her out for her first ride and I'm WELL IMPRESSED!!!

She's nimble and an awesomely good pedaller. The tyres aren't too bad, they definitely roll out beautifully, little skatey in high speed corners, but not half as bad as I was expecting them to be, they skid then grab quite predictably. They don't feel dissimilar to Continental Race Kings, a little light on tread for the front, but certainly managable, and given a bit more time getting used to a less aggressive tread (Xkings or Rubber Queens are what I usually run on the front of my Fuel Ex) could happily ride that setup.

The CTD shocks aren't bad. I have come from using the Fox FIT DRCV fork on the Fuel Ex, and I generally have that one set up in a locked out position with a reasonably soft blow-off setting, so she stays firm through pedalling, but then opens up as soon as it gets a little bumpy. I like that level of customisation, and although the CTD's broad settings do work well enough, it's hard coming back from a higher standard.
    That said, the Climb setting is extremely firm, there's a little bit of give in it, but i'd consider the fork to be largely locked out in that setting, left it in trail setting for most of my time on the bike, and that feels very good (still adjusting the pressure, running them on the firmer side at the moment, will likely drop a few PSI) and it soaks up the bumps beautifully.
    Descend makes it a little bit more plush, but interestingly I can't seem to use up the full travel unless I'm in the descend setting, Trail leaves about 10-15mm of travel unused, even on larger drops that should usually move it up. It will jump into that with Descend, and it might just be the fork is running firm at the moment, will keep posted.
    Controls are solid, they give a nice little click as you move them into place, it's easy to use. Not a bad fork, but not a high end Fox fork, so behave accordingly.

DIRTY!!!

CLEAN!!!

The brakes work really well also. They're not quite XT's, but the SLX is a solid brake set so far, lovely modulation on them. I haven't thrown it down anything that really stressed them out yet though, so I'll see how they hold up under some more stress.

@trailgrinder
    Quite the nice stable you have there, thanks for the thread as I love the color choices they did for13. I was quite skeptical of the bontrager tires on my 100 elite and actually bought three other pairs since they were on close out at my LBS. congrats and enjoy your rides!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What size frame is it please?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Alright, taken her out for her first ride and I'm WELL IMPRESSED!!!

She's nimble and an awesomely good pedaller. The tyres aren't too bad, they definitely roll out beautifully, little skatey in high speed corners, but not half as bad as I was expecting them to be, they skid then grab quite predictably. They don't feel dissimilar to Continental Race Kings, a little light on tread for the front, but certainly managable, and given a bit more time getting used to a less aggressive tread (Xkings or Rubber Queens are what I usually run on the front of my Fuel Ex) could happily ride that setup.

The CTD shocks aren't bad. I have come from using the Fox FIT DRCV fork on the Fuel Ex, and I generally have that one set up in a locked out position with a reasonably soft blow-off setting, so she stays firm through pedalling, but then opens up as soon as it gets a little bumpy. I like that level of customisation, and although the CTD's broad settings do work well enough, it's hard coming back from a higher standard.
    That said, the Climb setting is extremely firm, there's a little bit of give in it, but i'd consider the fork to be largely locked out in that setting, left it in trail setting for most of my time on the bike, and that feels very good (still adjusting the pressure, running them on the firmer side at the moment, will likely drop a few PSI) and it soaks up the bumps beautifully.
    Descend makes it a little bit more plush, but interestingly I can't seem to use up the full travel unless I'm in the descend setting, Trail leaves about 10-15mm of travel unused, even on larger drops that should usually move it up. It will jump into that with Descend, and it might just be the fork is running firm at the moment, will keep posted.
    Controls are solid, they give a nice little click as you move them into place, it's easy to use. Not a bad fork, but not a high end Fox fork, so behave accordingly.

DIRTY!!!

CLEAN!!!

The brakes work really well also. They're not quite XT's, but the SLX is a solid brake set so far, lovely modulation on them. I haven't thrown it down anything that really stressed them out yet though, so I'll see how they hold up under some more stress.
    those stands are interesting. did you make them yourself or did you buy them. would be interested to know where you got them or if you made them, i surely would like to know how you made if you don't mind..

nice bikes....just got the 12' SF AL ELITE on closeout and the price was so tempting i couldn't wait for next year's closeout price for the 13' SF AL ELITE.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indyjonesuk View Post
    What size frame is it please?
    That there is the 19" frame.

Quote Originally Posted by bapski View Post
    those stands are interesting. did you make them yourself or did you buy them. would be interested to know where you got them or if you made them, i surely would like to know how you made if you don't mind..

nice bikes....just got the 12' SF AL ELITE on closeout and the price was so tempting i couldn't wait for next year's closeout price for the 13' SF AL ELITE.
    The stands I bought from Chain Reaction Cycles, in fact, here's a link. Pro Bike Display Stand | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    They fit the 26er a lot better, they grip the axle next to the brake rotor, but does the job on the 29'er alright everything considered.

The 2012 is a very nice bike from what I here. I almost went it myself, but had a friend who owns a bike store who did me a wicked price on the 2013, and couldn't go any lower on the 2012, in the end, I didn't have to pay that much more, and it got my a bike that matched my Fuel Ex 9's colour, got the 15mm TA and the XT crankset.

Also, it's nice to be on a hardtail again. I've been riding my Fuel Ex 9 to death lately, and I recently sold my Merida hardtail 26'er in order to fund the Superfly, so been without a hardtail for a little bit. Luckily I ride my full susser like a hardtail, but I still felt it in my legs today after lunch, just that extra strain from the jolts and having to move the legs that much more to soak up the bumps.
    Still, that means I've been riding hard enough! A phrase you hear a bit at local events, "Riding never stops hurting, you just go faster."

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    [QUOTE=Zaf;9677804]That there is the 19" frame.

The stands I bought from Chain Reaction Cycles, in fact, here's a link. Pro Bike Display Stand | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    They fit the 26er a lot better, they grip the axle next to the brake rotor, but does the job on the 29'er alright everything considered.

The 2012 is a very nice bike from what I here. I almost went it myself, but had a friend who owns a bike store who did me a wicked price on the 2013, and couldn't go any lower on the 2012, in the end, I didn't have to pay that much more, and it got my a bike that matched my Fuel Ex 9's colour, got the 15mm TA and the XT crankset.

Also, it's nice to be on a hardtail again. I've been riding my Fuel Ex 9 to death lately, and I recently sold my Merida hardtail 26'er in order to fund the Superfly, so been without a hardtail for a little bit. Luckily I ride my full susser like a hardtail, but I still felt it in my legs today after lunch, just that extra strain from the jolts and having to move the legs that much more to soak up the bumps.
    Still, that means I've been riding hard enough! A phrase you hear a bit at local events, "Riding never stops hurting, you just go faster."[/QUOTE]

love that quote! also happy i decided on a HT... was initially thinking of waiting till next year and get a FS.... but have been reading reviews of guys going back to HT and with my kind of riding (leisure and nothing extreme (yet)) a HT will suffice.

talking about HT's and me being virtually new with MTB how tall of a drop do you think a HT will take safely. reason im asking is that i came up with an idea (crazy i think) to try practicing drops and saw my patio as an opportune staging area lol.. i think its at least 2-3 feet high and the plan is for me try to get as much momentum and just "fly" through the edge of the patio.... i havent figured out how to land safely yet but ill come to that later... lol...

seriously, was considering this just probably to get me accustomed with jumps. i followed a buddy of mine on a trail and he's been riding for a long time and just cruised through a wooden "obstacle". he knew the trail well and knew that the "obstacle" was there i did not! good thing i was able to clear it without me face planting despite the initial hesitation that i had.

thanks.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    How large a drop you can take on a hard tail will vary largely with the rider and the terrain you're dropping onto. I'll be honest, I'm not the worlds greatest technical rider, I mainly ride endurance and XC style events and prefer to keep both wheels on the ground where possible. I'm confident enough, and can do a little, but it's mainly just the odd bunny hop and or flick of the rear end.

Two to Three foot drop onto grass, or a gradual surface I'd feel fine doing on my Superfly, i personally wouldn't be confident doing it onto a flat hard surface. I probably could, but wouldn't be comfortable with it and as such would avoid it. I've seen some trials riders do amazing things on rigids that would make that comment seem silly, but it depends on the rider, what you're comfortable with, how you feel the bike will handle it, etc.

Usual advice, if in doubt, start small and build up. Saves the wallet as well as the skin.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    How large a drop you can take on a hard tail will vary largely with the rider and the terrain you're dropping onto. I'll be honest, I'm not the worlds greatest technical rider, I mainly ride endurance and XC style events and prefer to keep both wheels on the ground where possible. I'm confident enough, and can do a little, but it's mainly just the odd bunny hop and or flick of the rear end.

Two to Three foot drop onto grass, or a gradual surface I'd feel fine doing on my Superfly, i personally wouldn't be confident doing it onto a flat hard surface. I probably could, but wouldn't be comfortable with it and as such would avoid it. I've seen some trials riders do amazing things on rigids that would make that comment seem silly, but it depends on the rider, what you're comfortable with, how you feel the bike will handle it, etc.

Usual advice, if in doubt, start small and build up. Saves the wallet as well as the skin.
    again good quote.. again was just a crazy idea... thank your for the bike stand links btw..

mtbr member
    Awesome paint !

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by banik View Post
    Awesome paint !
    They nailed the colours on it didn't they?!
    Looks even better in the sun, the paint is transparent, so you can see all the brushwork on the aluminium frame underneath.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Thanks for the bike pictures

I canít wait to get this bike!!! Thank you so much for the great pictures! I was desperately looking everyday for any type of pics on this bike besides the website ones. ))

I first started looking at the mamba but then got convinced to test ride the x-caliber and then stumbled on the superfly and from there I made my decision that the superfly elite would be the best bike for me. Have you been able to climb any steep incline with it?

You already posted a lot of great pictures but would you be in consideration on making a You tube video of the bike and posting it up? Thanks

Zaf
    mtbr member
    I don't have a camera to make a movie, I'm thinking of getting a Contour, but haven't bitten that bullet yet.
    It climbs really well, though i didn't find it much better as a climber until i got on really loose, sharp inclined stuff, at which point it didn't spit everything from underneath the tyre like the 26er does. But otherwise, I felt the climbing stories of the 29er where a little exaggerated or told by people who can't choose gears properly. It's different in delivery, but no more or less effective as a 26" hardtail...that loose terrain being the exception.

I'll see if I can borrow a camera from someone, but don't hold your breath just yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Such a sick bike

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Falling in love with this bike.

The Brakes
    The brakes are nicely bedded in, and they're very good brakes. I threw them down an intense hill this afternoon, it was at the end of the ride, weather wasn't too bad (Central Australia, start of spring is quite nice, but was about 30įC today) but very still, no wind, and it's exposed out here, there's no wooded area's or trees large enough to cast any worthwhile shadows on the track, you ride in the sun.

Anyway, nice weather aside, brought the bike down the hill, and it takes a lot of braking. The first part of the descent is gradual enough, then there's a rock obstacle that drops you down a steep flowy part of the track that turns down an off camber longer corner, following underneath a rock, before turning into switchback after switchback almost all the way down the hill with a few having a little bit of a fast flowing run between them.
    The end of the track rolls out and spits you into a short climb, which you can get up quite quickly except for the last bit which is a bit technical, before throwing you back down a technical rocky section and back out onto single track.

Boring track explanation aside, the brakes held up beautifully, they didn't fade at all, although the rear brake started to squeak a little towards the end. I never felt I was out of braking power, and I was being pretty heavy on them because I wanted to test them and because I'm still running the Bontrager 29-1's on the front so was confidence braking a little because I didn't want to wash out with that low profile tread.
    They don't grip as well as the XT's with Ice-Tech rotors that the Fuel Ex has, but at that price point, those SLX brakes are bloody amazing!! Great modulation, you can one finger brake with them, they have the power, but they don't execute it with the confidence that the XT's do.

Forks and ride position
    Adjusted the forks nicely as well, although I don't find myself using the CTD as much, it really needs a remote setting for that to be of any real use, and I find it's best to leave it in the Trail setting most of the time.

I flipped the stem over as well, much prefer that riding position. The 100mm stem seems to be perfect, although my seat position for my riding means that my saddle bag doesn't grip very well, so might need to fork out for a new one. Bike pump mounts beautifully behind the bottle cage on my seat tube, so when the new saddle bag is in this bike should be ready for enduro's without me having to load up the camelbak with inner tubes, pumps etc.

It is a very responsive bike. I was expecting that whenI got a 29er it would be far more of a lumbering brute in the corners, I'd ridden last years Superfly AL that a mate had, with some Deore brakes thrown on it (those Avid's are just ****), and loved it, but didn't get to throw it through it all its paces. It is a different creature to the 26"er, no doubt about it, but it's subtle. I really can't wait for those new tyres to come, I might even order some even more aggressive treads for it and really start throwing into those corners and see if it comes alive. Guessing that the Ikon/Aspen combo should put a grin across my face though.

Random pics of the bike to show off how gorgeous those colours look in the sun, where you can see the brushwork on the aluminium. Also, look how clean my drivetrain stays, thankyou dry lube...you're a godsend.
    Last edited by Zaf; 09-14-2012 at 12:27 AM.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timothyrd76 View Post
    so I'll have to wait until the morning to take her for a spin.
    That's depressing!!
    Sleep well, you won't want to get off it once you start tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The first ones have started arriving here now, but only in the smaller sizes cannot wait for mine to come in

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast