Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Zaf
    mtbr member

2013 Trek Superfly AL Elite (pics)

You're all well jell of how good my bike shed looks.

Just some glory shots at the moment, because it's a gorgeous bike!! It arrived today, spent the afternoon putting it together, which is why it is so clean next to my 2012 Fuel Ex 9, as it got well dark before I could ride it, so I'll have to wait until the morning to take her for a spin.

Mean while, I'll show off some happy snaps of her.

So new I haven't even had a chance to take the reflectors off (cable routing wasn't even completed in the last shot, not tyres infalted). Also, tyre pressures haven't been checked, I use a compressor, but the gauge on the hose seems to have died so having to inflate them then get a release gauge and bring them back down.

Have some Maxxis tyres on the way over as well, but seeing how the Bontrager 29-1's that came with it go, a lot of dry hardpack out here, but I suspect they'll be a little skatey.
    Last edited by Zaf; 09-10-2012 at 07:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaf View Post
    You're all well jell of how good my bike shed looks.

Just some glory shots at the moment, because it's a gorgeous bike!! It arrived today, spent the afternoon putting it together, which is why it is so clean next to my 2012 Fuel Ex 9, as it got well dark before I could ride it, so I'll have to wait until the morning to take her for a spin.

Mean while, I'll show off some happy snaps of her.

So new I haven't even had a chance to take the reflectors off (cable routing wasn't even completed in the last shot, not tyres infalted). Also, tyre pressures haven't been checked, I use a compressor, but the gauge on the hose seems to have died so having to inflate them then get a release gauge and bring them back down.

Have some Maxxis tyres on the way over as well, but seeing how the Bontrager 29-1's that came with it go, a lot of dry hardpack out here, but I suspect they'll be a little skatey.
    Thank you very much for uploading these! I have ordered one (due in 10/10/2012 ) but was really unsure on the colour, this is helpign to convince me!

Quick queastion what comes in the box with the bike please?

Zaf
    mtbr member
    The box comes with the flat packed bike, front and rear reflectors, a bell (not kidding), Trek Owner's Information handbook + DVD, tapered sealed bearing headset, some cable ties and the little Fork fork brake cable management cover thing.

There was no Bontrager high pressure shock pump in there, which I thought was unusual, as a lot of the other Trek's usually throw one in. I had one already from my Fuel Ex 9, and their website states that one is included in the purchase, so a little miffed at that omission.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The box comes with the flat packed bike, front and rear reflectors, a bell (not kidding), Trek Owner's Information handbook + DVD, tapered sealed bearing headset, some cable ties and the little Fork fork brake cable management cover thing.

There was no Bontrager high pressure shock pump in there, which I thought was unusual, as a lot of the other Trek's usually throw one in. I had one already from my Fuel Ex 9, and their website states that one is included in the purchase, so a little miffed at that omission.

Cheers trying to find out what is with it so you are saying there should be a shock pump ? Also was there valves for converting to tubeless please ? Where does the website say what is included ?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Argh, I must have been looking at another page. I thought there was going to be a shock pump available, but there isn't. Says the "extras" under the details listing for the bike on their website. Also forgot the fork Sag Meter is included (I think it's still on in most of those shots as I'd not yet set the forks up).

No valves for converting to tubeless included, but the rims are tubeless ready with regards to tape etc. I'm going to wait for my Ikon's to come in before I go tubeless.]

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Argh, I must have been looking at another page. I thought there was going to be a shock pump available, but there isn't. Says the "extras" under the details listing for the bike on their website. Also forgot the fork Sag Meter is included (I think it's still on in most of those shots as I'd not yet set the forks up).

No valves for converting to tubeless included, but the rims are tubeless ready with regards to tape etc. I'm going to wait for my Ikon's to come in before I go tubeless.]
    Cheers, well at least the rim tape is there, just need to get valves and a shock pump. Thanks for getting back to me, be sure to post how it rides please

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Zaf
    mtbr member
    It's a bit cold this morning, just going to get those reflectors off, adjust my cleat tension, throw in a some sealant in the inner tubes, check pressures then take her out for a burn.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Oh yeah, clocks in at 11.3kg with pedals and bottle cages on.

mtbr member
    Pretty light for an out of the box bike, going tubeless on a set of Stan's Arch would shave a pound easily

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Alright, taken her out for her first ride and I'm WELL IMPRESSED!!!

She's nimble and an awesomely good pedaller. The tyres aren't too bad, they definitely roll out beautifully, little skatey in high speed corners, but not half as bad as I was expecting them to be, they skid then grab quite predictably. They don't feel dissimilar to Continental Race Kings, a little light on tread for the front, but certainly managable, and given a bit more time getting used to a less aggressive tread (Xkings or Rubber Queens are what I usually run on the front of my Fuel Ex) could happily ride that setup.

The CTD shocks aren't bad. I have come from using the Fox FIT DRCV fork on the Fuel Ex, and I generally have that one set up in a locked out position with a reasonably soft blow-off setting, so she stays firm through pedalling, but then opens up as soon as it gets a little bumpy. I like that level of customisation, and although the CTD's broad settings do work well enough, it's hard coming back from a higher standard.
    That said, the Climb setting is extremely firm, there's a little bit of give in it, but i'd consider the fork to be largely locked out in that setting, left it in trail setting for most of my time on the bike, and that feels very good (still adjusting the pressure, running them on the firmer side at the moment, will likely drop a few PSI) and it soaks up the bumps beautifully.
    Descend makes it a little bit more plush, but interestingly I can't seem to use up the full travel unless I'm in the descend setting, Trail leaves about 10-15mm of travel unused, even on larger drops that should usually move it up. It will jump into that with Descend, and it might just be the fork is running firm at the moment, will keep posted.
    Controls are solid, they give a nice little click as you move them into place, it's easy to use. Not a bad fork, but not a high end Fox fork, so behave accordingly.

DIRTY!!!

CLEAN!!!

The brakes work really well also. They're not quite XT's, but the SLX is a solid brake set so far, lovely modulation on them. I haven't thrown it down anything that really stressed them out yet though, so I'll see how they hold up under some more stress.

@trailgrinder
    Quite the nice stable you have there, thanks for the thread as I love the color choices they did for13. I was quite skeptical of the bontrager tires on my 100 elite and actually bought three other pairs since they were on close out at my LBS. congrats and enjoy your rides!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What size frame is it please?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Alright, taken her out for her first ride and I'm WELL IMPRESSED!!!

She's nimble and an awesomely good pedaller. The tyres aren't too bad, they definitely roll out beautifully, little skatey in high speed corners, but not half as bad as I was expecting them to be, they skid then grab quite predictably. They don't feel dissimilar to Continental Race Kings, a little light on tread for the front, but certainly managable, and given a bit more time getting used to a less aggressive tread (Xkings or Rubber Queens are what I usually run on the front of my Fuel Ex) could happily ride that setup.

The CTD shocks aren't bad. I have come from using the Fox FIT DRCV fork on the Fuel Ex, and I generally have that one set up in a locked out position with a reasonably soft blow-off setting, so she stays firm through pedalling, but then opens up as soon as it gets a little bumpy. I like that level of customisation, and although the CTD's broad settings do work well enough, it's hard coming back from a higher standard.
    That said, the Climb setting is extremely firm, there's a little bit of give in it, but i'd consider the fork to be largely locked out in that setting, left it in trail setting for most of my time on the bike, and that feels very good (still adjusting the pressure, running them on the firmer side at the moment, will likely drop a few PSI) and it soaks up the bumps beautifully.
    Descend makes it a little bit more plush, but interestingly I can't seem to use up the full travel unless I'm in the descend setting, Trail leaves about 10-15mm of travel unused, even on larger drops that should usually move it up. It will jump into that with Descend, and it might just be the fork is running firm at the moment, will keep posted.
    Controls are solid, they give a nice little click as you move them into place, it's easy to use. Not a bad fork, but not a high end Fox fork, so behave accordingly.

DIRTY!!!

CLEAN!!!

The brakes work really well also. They're not quite XT's, but the SLX is a solid brake set so far, lovely modulation on them. I haven't thrown it down anything that really stressed them out yet though, so I'll see how they hold up under some more stress.
    those stands are interesting. did you make them yourself or did you buy them. would be interested to know where you got them or if you made them, i surely would like to know how you made if you don't mind..

nice bikes....just got the 12' SF AL ELITE on closeout and the price was so tempting i couldn't wait for next year's closeout price for the 13' SF AL ELITE.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indyjonesuk View Post
    What size frame is it please?
    That there is the 19" frame.

Quote Originally Posted by bapski View Post
    those stands are interesting. did you make them yourself or did you buy them. would be interested to know where you got them or if you made them, i surely would like to know how you made if you don't mind..

nice bikes....just got the 12' SF AL ELITE on closeout and the price was so tempting i couldn't wait for next year's closeout price for the 13' SF AL ELITE.
    The stands I bought from Chain Reaction Cycles, in fact, here's a link. Pro Bike Display Stand | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    They fit the 26er a lot better, they grip the axle next to the brake rotor, but does the job on the 29'er alright everything considered.

The 2012 is a very nice bike from what I here. I almost went it myself, but had a friend who owns a bike store who did me a wicked price on the 2013, and couldn't go any lower on the 2012, in the end, I didn't have to pay that much more, and it got my a bike that matched my Fuel Ex 9's colour, got the 15mm TA and the XT crankset.

Also, it's nice to be on a hardtail again. I've been riding my Fuel Ex 9 to death lately, and I recently sold my Merida hardtail 26'er in order to fund the Superfly, so been without a hardtail for a little bit. Luckily I ride my full susser like a hardtail, but I still felt it in my legs today after lunch, just that extra strain from the jolts and having to move the legs that much more to soak up the bumps.
    Still, that means I've been riding hard enough! A phrase you hear a bit at local events, "Riding never stops hurting, you just go faster."

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    [QUOTE=Zaf;9677804]That there is the 19" frame.

The stands I bought from Chain Reaction Cycles, in fact, here's a link. Pro Bike Display Stand | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    They fit the 26er a lot better, they grip the axle next to the brake rotor, but does the job on the 29'er alright everything considered.

The 2012 is a very nice bike from what I here. I almost went it myself, but had a friend who owns a bike store who did me a wicked price on the 2013, and couldn't go any lower on the 2012, in the end, I didn't have to pay that much more, and it got my a bike that matched my Fuel Ex 9's colour, got the 15mm TA and the XT crankset.

Also, it's nice to be on a hardtail again. I've been riding my Fuel Ex 9 to death lately, and I recently sold my Merida hardtail 26'er in order to fund the Superfly, so been without a hardtail for a little bit. Luckily I ride my full susser like a hardtail, but I still felt it in my legs today after lunch, just that extra strain from the jolts and having to move the legs that much more to soak up the bumps.
    Still, that means I've been riding hard enough! A phrase you hear a bit at local events, "Riding never stops hurting, you just go faster."[/QUOTE]

love that quote! also happy i decided on a HT... was initially thinking of waiting till next year and get a FS.... but have been reading reviews of guys going back to HT and with my kind of riding (leisure and nothing extreme (yet)) a HT will suffice.

talking about HT's and me being virtually new with MTB how tall of a drop do you think a HT will take safely. reason im asking is that i came up with an idea (crazy i think) to try practicing drops and saw my patio as an opportune staging area lol.. i think its at least 2-3 feet high and the plan is for me try to get as much momentum and just "fly" through the edge of the patio.... i havent figured out how to land safely yet but ill come to that later... lol...

seriously, was considering this just probably to get me accustomed with jumps. i followed a buddy of mine on a trail and he's been riding for a long time and just cruised through a wooden "obstacle". he knew the trail well and knew that the "obstacle" was there i did not! good thing i was able to clear it without me face planting despite the initial hesitation that i had.

thanks.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    How large a drop you can take on a hard tail will vary largely with the rider and the terrain you're dropping onto. I'll be honest, I'm not the worlds greatest technical rider, I mainly ride endurance and XC style events and prefer to keep both wheels on the ground where possible. I'm confident enough, and can do a little, but it's mainly just the odd bunny hop and or flick of the rear end.

Two to Three foot drop onto grass, or a gradual surface I'd feel fine doing on my Superfly, i personally wouldn't be confident doing it onto a flat hard surface. I probably could, but wouldn't be comfortable with it and as such would avoid it. I've seen some trials riders do amazing things on rigids that would make that comment seem silly, but it depends on the rider, what you're comfortable with, how you feel the bike will handle it, etc.

Usual advice, if in doubt, start small and build up. Saves the wallet as well as the skin.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    How large a drop you can take on a hard tail will vary largely with the rider and the terrain you're dropping onto. I'll be honest, I'm not the worlds greatest technical rider, I mainly ride endurance and XC style events and prefer to keep both wheels on the ground where possible. I'm confident enough, and can do a little, but it's mainly just the odd bunny hop and or flick of the rear end.

Two to Three foot drop onto grass, or a gradual surface I'd feel fine doing on my Superfly, i personally wouldn't be confident doing it onto a flat hard surface. I probably could, but wouldn't be comfortable with it and as such would avoid it. I've seen some trials riders do amazing things on rigids that would make that comment seem silly, but it depends on the rider, what you're comfortable with, how you feel the bike will handle it, etc.

Usual advice, if in doubt, start small and build up. Saves the wallet as well as the skin.
    again good quote.. again was just a crazy idea... thank your for the bike stand links btw..

mtbr member
    Awesome paint !

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by banik View Post
    Awesome paint !
    They nailed the colours on it didn't they?!
    Looks even better in the sun, the paint is transparent, so you can see all the brushwork on the aluminium frame underneath.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Thanks for the bike pictures

I cant wait to get this bike!!! Thank you so much for the great pictures! I was desperately looking everyday for any type of pics on this bike besides the website ones. ))

I first started looking at the mamba but then got convinced to test ride the x-caliber and then stumbled on the superfly and from there I made my decision that the superfly elite would be the best bike for me. Have you been able to climb any steep incline with it?

You already posted a lot of great pictures but would you be in consideration on making a You tube video of the bike and posting it up? Thanks

Zaf
    mtbr member
    I don't have a camera to make a movie, I'm thinking of getting a Contour, but haven't bitten that bullet yet.
    It climbs really well, though i didn't find it much better as a climber until i got on really loose, sharp inclined stuff, at which point it didn't spit everything from underneath the tyre like the 26er does. But otherwise, I felt the climbing stories of the 29er where a little exaggerated or told by people who can't choose gears properly. It's different in delivery, but no more or less effective as a 26" hardtail...that loose terrain being the exception.

I'll see if I can borrow a camera from someone, but don't hold your breath just yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Such a sick bike

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Falling in love with this bike.

The Brakes
    The brakes are nicely bedded in, and they're very good brakes. I threw them down an intense hill this afternoon, it was at the end of the ride, weather wasn't too bad (Central Australia, start of spring is quite nice, but was about 30C today) but very still, no wind, and it's exposed out here, there's no wooded area's or trees large enough to cast any worthwhile shadows on the track, you ride in the sun.

Anyway, nice weather aside, brought the bike down the hill, and it takes a lot of braking. The first part of the descent is gradual enough, then there's a rock obstacle that drops you down a steep flowy part of the track that turns down an off camber longer corner, following underneath a rock, before turning into switchback after switchback almost all the way down the hill with a few having a little bit of a fast flowing run between them.
    The end of the track rolls out and spits you into a short climb, which you can get up quite quickly except for the last bit which is a bit technical, before throwing you back down a technical rocky section and back out onto single track.

Boring track explanation aside, the brakes held up beautifully, they didn't fade at all, although the rear brake started to squeak a little towards the end. I never felt I was out of braking power, and I was being pretty heavy on them because I wanted to test them and because I'm still running the Bontrager 29-1's on the front so was confidence braking a little because I didn't want to wash out with that low profile tread.
    They don't grip as well as the XT's with Ice-Tech rotors that the Fuel Ex has, but at that price point, those SLX brakes are bloody amazing!! Great modulation, you can one finger brake with them, they have the power, but they don't execute it with the confidence that the XT's do.

Forks and ride position
    Adjusted the forks nicely as well, although I don't find myself using the CTD as much, it really needs a remote setting for that to be of any real use, and I find it's best to leave it in the Trail setting most of the time.

I flipped the stem over as well, much prefer that riding position. The 100mm stem seems to be perfect, although my seat position for my riding means that my saddle bag doesn't grip very well, so might need to fork out for a new one. Bike pump mounts beautifully behind the bottle cage on my seat tube, so when the new saddle bag is in this bike should be ready for enduro's without me having to load up the camelbak with inner tubes, pumps etc.

It is a very responsive bike. I was expecting that whenI got a 29er it would be far more of a lumbering brute in the corners, I'd ridden last years Superfly AL that a mate had, with some Deore brakes thrown on it (those Avid's are just ****), and loved it, but didn't get to throw it through it all its paces. It is a different creature to the 26"er, no doubt about it, but it's subtle. I really can't wait for those new tyres to come, I might even order some even more aggressive treads for it and really start throwing into those corners and see if it comes alive. Guessing that the Ikon/Aspen combo should put a grin across my face though.

Random pics of the bike to show off how gorgeous those colours look in the sun, where you can see the brushwork on the aluminium. Also, look how clean my drivetrain stays, thankyou dry lube...you're a godsend.
    Last edited by Zaf; 09-14-2012 at 12:27 AM.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timothyrd76 View Post
    so I'll have to wait until the morning to take her for a spin.
    That's depressing!!
    Sleep well, you won't want to get off it once you start tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The first ones have started arriving here now, but only in the smaller sizes cannot wait for mine to come in

Sent from my Galaxy S3

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Mine in on the way; this weekend it will be here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Saw a 17" and looked sweet can't wait for my 19" ! The bike shop is going to do some chasing for me

Sent from my Galaxy S3

I hate that name.
    Just an fyi about the tubeless: The rimstrips that come installed on the rims are not the TLR strips, they are just a traditional rimstrip that protects the tube. Only the Bonty wheelsets purchased aftermarket come with TLR strips and valves. Get the strips. They're only ~$10 each. You won't be sorry.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    Just an fyi about the tubeless: The rimstrips that come installed on the rims are not the TLR strips, they are just a traditional rimstrip that protects the tube. Only the Bonty wheelsets purchased aftermarket come with TLR strips and valves. Get the strips. They're only ~$10 each. You won't be sorry.
    You sure? The specs of the bike say its 'tubeless ready' which as I understood it meant it had the rimstrips fitted (though I guess the stick tape variant). I thought I just need valves and stans then I was read to go....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You sure? The specs of the bike say its 'tubeless ready' which as I understood it meant it had the rimstrips fitted (though I guess the stick tape variant). I thought I just need valves and stans then I was read to go....
    You will need the TLR rim strips and valve stems to make them air tight. They don't come installed from the factory.

I hate that name.
    Yes, I'm sure. "Ready" means you have to add TLR strips and valves.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yeah granted I know about the tubes, but without a rimstrip surely they are no more ready than any other wheels?

I hate that name.
    No, the Bonty TLR rimstrip is a molded plastic piece that only works in their rims, not a generic rubber strip like some other "systems". The rim and strip are designed together to work this way, it is more reliable than the rubber strip method.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    No, the Bonty TLR rimstrip is a molded plastic piece that only works in their rims, not a generic rubber strip like some other "systems". The rim and strip are designed together to work this way, it is more reliable than the rubber strip method.
    Thank you, every day is a school day!

So which strips do we need with it please ? (sorry for the break in the link I am not allowed to post links yet....)

htt p://bontrager.com/model/02566

Shame its required as will add weight, though of course you still maintain the other benefits of tubeless.

I hate that name.
    That page from the Bonty site is the tubeless parts page, the specific strip you need is the RXL 29 strip part # 400337. Your local Trek shop can get them for you.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Yeah, I checked with my mate, mine did come with the tubeless rim-tape on it because he's an absolute bro and fixed that up for me, but they come stock with a normal rim tape.

The Bontrager 29-1's are starting to grow on me a bit, they've been thrashed around some and they have a really predictable slip on them. That's allowing me to throw the bike around with a lot more confidence. Would buy another pair and keen to try out some of the other Bontrager line up, they suit the terrain out here really nicely.

Little bit of trouble getting the beads to set evenly, would be my only complaint.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey Zaf, nice bike!

When I saw the pics I thought "looks like Alice".....is that where you are??
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Hey Zaf,

Awesome set, I am going to have a VERY similar situation here soon. I own a Fuel EX 9, got my girlfriend into Mountain Biking and she just picked up a 2012 Superfly AL on amazing clearance ($1200 because the word "Superfly" near the stem is missing the Y, hah!)

Anyway, her bike will fit me as well, so I'm excited to ride it once I get back up to Colorado with her. Can you give us a quick breakdown of what you like about one over the other? What kind of riding, etc? Sounds like you really like the 29er HT... im excited to ride ours, just hope I don't have to sneak out to ride alone just so i can use the Superfly!

Thanks!

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall View Post
    Hey Zaf, nice bike!

When I saw the pics I thought "looks like Alice".....is that where you are??
    Good eyes, it certainly is.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallejo View Post
    Hey Zaf,

Awesome set, I am going to have a VERY similar situation here soon. I own a Fuel EX 9, got my girlfriend into Mountain Biking and she just picked up a 2012 Superfly AL on amazing clearance ($1200 because the word "Superfly" near the stem is missing the Y, hah!)

Anyway, her bike will fit me as well, so I'm excited to ride it once I get back up to Colorado with her. Can you give us a quick breakdown of what you like about one over the other? What kind of riding, etc? Sounds like you really like the 29er HT... im excited to ride ours, just hope I don't have to sneak out to ride alone just so i can use the Superfly!

Thanks!
    That's an awesome bargain on the 2012 model. I was a victim of price creep, I'd just sold my Merida so was in the market for a new hardtail, originally looking at other models from Ghost and Corratec. Then the clearance hit, and I was going to get a 2012 Superfly AL (non elite) and then fit it with new brakes...but that wasn't cost smart over the Elite, so was looking at that...then the 2013 got announced and it was matching colours, had the 15mm TA and XT crankset so I just couldn't say no.

Anyway, to explain the different weapons I should explain the racing out here. Most of the stuff in Alice is endurance XC racing, single track. It's harsh, in the warmer months most races move to night time hours, for safety concerns with heat.

The Fuel Ex was mainly bought as my XC endurance race bike. The full suspension is truly forgiving on the body in those longer events, and although the hardtails clock in faster laps to begin with, you start to see your times drop off because of the strain your body is under. The Fuel Ex 9 is also my 26er so I love it for all the reasons I should in that matter, it is nippy, the geometry allows me to get right over the bike and really throw it into corners as well as launch out of them.

The Superfly AL Elite was bought so that I still had a hardtail to ride, primarily so I didn't forget how to ride properly. It's kind of developed into a second love and my "sprint" bike, with its higher gearing and those large wheels REALLY carry some speed in open sections. Point to point races, or any race with fewer technical sections will bring this baby out to play from now on. I've yet to race it yet, expecting a point to point race to pop up sometime next month, and hoping to take the Superfly on it.
    It handles really nicely, and the climbing differences between the hardtail and full suspension can't be overstated, there's something very nice, especially when you're out of the saddle, feeling the response from your pedals going straight into the rear wheel. I have said elsewhere, I didn't feel the 29'er was a much better climber then my older 26er hardtail, I feel that is a matter that's been blown up and it's more a matter of choosing good gears for your wheelsize and then keeping that cadence.

The Superfly handles brilliantly as well, those tight headtube angles really do make it responsive in the corners, although, with my high saddle height it can make technical descents that little bit scarier, but I've yet to send myself over the handlebars (touch wood) or taco a wheel.

She hurts to ride as well. That first week after I had the Superfly I just couldn't get off it, was having that much fun burning around on it, but after a day or two, my hips and legs where really aching. I'm a young guy, 25, and I really noticed my recovery on the Fuel Ex was just SO much better. Still, the Superfly is a brilliant bike enjoyment wise, there's just something about it that puts a grin on my face when I ride it...much like the Fuel Ex 9...you should see the race pictures of me when I first got the Fuel Ex...every single one I'm just plastered with an ear to ear smile on it, love that bike.

WALL OF TEXT!!!!

tl;dr
    Fuel Ex: Technical Trails make you enter a dreamlike state of enjoyment, XC endurance doesn't kill you, so confident in corners, makes me happy.
    Superfly: OMG SPEED!!!! Climbs like a demon, reminds me how to ride properly, nippy despite large wheelsize.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hi Zaf, still waiting for mine
    While I do though what exact model is the xt rear derailleur please ? Is it the plus model if not I am thinking of upgrading to it.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I got mine this weekend. Only had time for a few short 5 and 7 mile rides so far. One of the best bikes I've ever riden.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just out of curiosity, what's written on the headset top plate?

I hate that name.
    All work and no play is no fun at all. All of the 2013s we've gotten so far have that topcap.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Hi Zaf, still waiting for mine
    While I do though what exact model is the xt rear derailleur please ? Is it the plus model if not I am thinking of upgrading to it.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

I believe it's an RD-M781-SGS. It has "Shimano" where the 786 has "dyna-sys" on the body of the derailluer, and a long arm (hence SGS not GS).
    It runs smoth and quietly, but I'm afraid i don't know how to tell the difference between a shadow plus and non shadow plus mech, so some pointers would be welcomein that respect.

On a side note, this baby carried me into a fourth fastest time clocked on Strava on a 2.7km climb on the weekend, and it was a section of an 18km circuit three of us were doing for a race coming up soon.
    Last edited by Zaf; 09-24-2012 at 05:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

I believe it's an RD-M781-SGS. It has "Shimano" where the 786 has "dyna-sys" on the body of the derailluer, and a long arm (hence SGS not GS).
    It runs smoth and quietly, but I'm afraid i don't know how to tell the difference between a shadow plus and non shadow plus mech, so some pointers would be welcomein that respect.

On a side note, this baby carried me into a fourth fastest time clocked on Strava on a 2.7km climb on the weekend, and it was a section of an 18km circuit three of us were doing for a race coming up soon.
    Sweet ride. Love the '13 Superfly AL Elite. I liked last year's white with red scheme but the brushed alu and orange is really stunning. Glad your riding it fast Zaf! But to answer the rear derailleur question, by the looks of it, it's a regular XT Shadow derailleur. According to the spec sheet on the Trek website you won't get a Shadow Plus derailleur standard till you upgrade to the Carbon Superfly Elite SL. No biggie though, just upgrade the derailleur to a Shadow Plus before it leaves the shop. Wish I had the budget for a new bike. Would love to snatch me a Superfly Al Elite and run it a 1x10 or better yet get my hands on the new SRAM XX1 1x11 drivetrain. Post more pics of your bike Zaf! lol.
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Cheers for that it is defiantly the long arm one though?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Cheers for that it is defiantly the long arm one though?
    Pretty certain it's the long arm.

My new parcel came in today with a few treats for both of my bikes.

A few of the goodies on display.

The Bontrager 29-1's, really satisfying tyre to use, I'd grown to love them so it wasn't so easy pulling them off, and still running tubes at the moment while I fiddle a bit to find out which combination I want to be using.

All the Maxxis glory. Ikon's on the front in a 2.2 3C Maxspeed compound and Aspen 2.1's on the rear just in a folding pattern.

These things made one HELL of a bang when they seated their bead. Such a satisfying noise.

Glory shot of the bikes FINE rear end.

Oh and the XT lever was a replacement for my Fuel Ex 9's after a stack I had a fortnight ago. Luckily it was the only thing damaged (and the grips bit that's barely worth mentioning), as you can see, it came off worse in a fight with a rock.
    \

Oh and I KNOW you're all thinking it, so I'll put your worries to rest now. The saddle bag is a hang over from my last bike, and it's being replaced with an SKS one (black and orange...who'da thunk I was colour coded?!) so as to look beautiful with the rest of the colour scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by DBackRider08 View Post
    Sweet ride. Love the '13 Superfly AL Elite. I liked last year's white with red scheme but the brushed alu and orange is really stunning. Glad your riding it fast Zaf! But to answer the rear derailleur question, by the looks of it, it's a regular XT Shadow derailleur. According to the spec sheet on the Trek website you won't get a Shadow Plus derailleur standard till you upgrade to the Carbon Superfly Elite SL. No biggie though, just upgrade the derailleur to a Shadow Plus before it leaves the shop. Wish I had the budget for a new bike. Would love to snatch me a Superfly Al Elite and run it a 1x10 or better yet get my hands on the new SRAM XX1 1x11 drivetrain. Post more pics of your bike Zaf! lol.
    Good spotting, it's not the plus then, just the XT Shadow, the Elite SL also has a lower gearing on it then the Elite AL. Gotta admit, the high gearing and fast rolling treads are an ABSOLUTE DREAM on this thing.

That ride the other day where I clocked a 4th on Strava, now I want to go out and get into top three as I was conserving energy when I did it (Oh look, I'm not above bragging either, just learned something about myself) as it was in the first half of what I knew to be a longer track.
    Anyway, the day before I was riding with a few other guys in a similar area (35km ride, some of the tracks crossed over), one of the guys is a very similar fitness level and skilled rider as I am, so we speared off ahead and would take breaks in the shade (peaked at 43C on Saturday when we were out, it was a HOT day) and allowed the others to catch up, have a drink and chat, nice little social ride with some fun hard riding in between.
    It was a really interesting dynamic, as he was packing a Fuel Ex 8 and I'd generally use my size to open out space between us on the more flowy stuff and he'd catch me back up as soon as the going got bendy or technical, we were always within earshot of one another though, so it's not like I was ever pulling away massively, despite trying.
    So it was nice seeing the dynamic of the different bikes, but then the track opened out a little into this flowy, rocky plains, loose on hardpack kind of track for about 5km through mulga brush. I'd have taken a picture but I was WAY too busy enjoying the bike, when I stopped at the top of a hill at the end of it, I'd just left him in the dust, I'd opened out about a 30s gap between us.

The bike was just in its element there, the big tyres skipped over those rocks, the high gearing shot me down the track at breakneck speed and once I had that speed up, I was just rocketing up the small climbs and pumping back down the other side.
    Last edited by Zaf; 09-26-2012 at 12:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Very nice ordered the derailleur

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Few more glory shots of the bike from the other morning. There's been a bit of rain lately, which has packed the trails down a bit. A few of these shots were taken just as the sun peaked out from behind the clouds, so you could see the darkness off them in the background, but where I was standing was quite illuminated.

It was very different riding after the rain, the colours really do look like that in person, everything loses that "dust covered" look, the track and ground packs down a bit without getting tacky, so the tyres roll out so quickly. The Ikon/Aspen combination is riding a dream, the aspen is such a fast tyre, but those larger side lugs really hold it steady through the corners, absolutely loving the bike!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nice pics Zaf. Man, I want this bike so badly!
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Great pictures mine is here next week

Sent from my Galaxy S3

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Great review Zaf. After reading it I went out and bought one! I couldn't believe they had one in stock, in my size. Really love it. I took it for a 10mile ride yesterday and kept it in the trail setting like you said to. It is so responsive and I was able to lap the same coarse at a much quicker pace then the 2013 Mamba I bought a week ago. I am so happy about the purchase! Thanks again

Zaf
    mtbr member
    It's a brilliant bike!!
    That Geometry really does make sense, it just feels so stable to ride, yet I vary rarely feel that the bike is too big in the corners, it just points and shoots around them. It was so weird hopping back on my Fuel EX again, and I am starting to notice that climbing difference. Or more the momentum of the wheel, once that thing is rolling it doesn't stop, and on the undulating terrain, the other night following a mate on a 26" he was starting to pedal so much sooner then I was on the uphill sections...just flows through.

Here's a photo from the other day when I stopped to try and photograph a lizard that was on the track. Damned thing ran off before I could, but I was riding the Fuel EX today and came across another one, managed to snap some shots before this one disappeared.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah its a perfect bike for me so far! Looks like you have some very nice trails to test it on!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Another question since I'm new to this. Is this bike good enough to where you dont feel the need to upgrade parts and make it lighter like the wheelset, seat post, and handlebars? If so what Make and Model would you recommend? For the wheelset, I'm looking at the Stan's ZTR Crest(because I'm light).

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kdaly1 View Post
    Another question since I'm new to this. Is this bike good enough to where you dont feel the need to upgrade parts and make it lighter like the wheelset, seat post, and handlebars? If so what Make and Model would you recommend? For the wheelset, I'm looking at the Stan's ZTR Crest(because I'm light).
    generally speaking, you'd love the bike as it is....

not unless you get the bad UPGRADITIS attack you will be fine.

i have the 12' SF AL ELITE and am loving it.. big difference in handling compared to the previous MAMBA that i used for a bit.

only thing ive upgraded was the Saddle, and Seatpost which i already had before getting the SF. . . .right now, im just contemplating on getting a wheelset, not that the stock one's are not great...just a bad case of UPGRADITIS.... LOL...
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    hahaha, I have UPGRADITIS with everything I do. Its a bad bad sickness! I have a mamba too and your right it is a huge difference!

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdaly1 View Post
    Depends on the riding. The Bontrager stock parts are really quite good on these bikes, and they're definitely "sturdy" parts, it takes a solid effort to knock those Mustangs out of true. Everything's got a price though, and everything can be upgraded to some extent.

I personally haven't felt the need to yet, and not really a weight weenie to they extent yet .

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It also depends on what you want to do with the bike. If you only ever trail ride then reliability will be your first and foremost. If you perhaps want to do some racing and are the competitive type then a good set of wheels will give you the biggest handling improvement that your bike will ever have.
    Crests are a good rim choice for a mix of race-worthiness and singletrack riding sturdiness.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Great advice guys. Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Damn it!

Europe is on back order mine has now been delayed until Friday

Sent from my Galaxy S3

destructionismyobjective
    Ive been eyeing this bike up... waiting for them to show up at the shop. Im gona ep a bike this winter or spring cause I need a dedicated race bike. I dont have any experience with 29ers yet so Im a little leary. The bike specs nice for the price(even better ep) I was seriously contemplating last years top fuel but im thinking 29 hardtail as much as I hate to admit it. With trek doing away with the top fuel and the t1 track bike one of wich I was planning on purchasing ive been kinda left wondering what to get.

Im gona take a long hard look at this bike, its either this or a cyclocross bike. I have a 2011 8500 I built as a rigid ss but was gona fork and gear and race that but with a decent fork id be 1/3 of the way to the superfly so im thinking just leave it as my light fun punishing trainer and getting the sf to race.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Great pictures. Your local riding terrain is very scenic and it looks very remote too.

Zaf
    mtbr member

ANother shot from the other day before a short climb. The single track opens out onto one of many firetracks that scatter the area, most of which go to these seismic monitoring stations (you can see in the back of the shot).
    It's the annoying thing with riding this bike and taking pictures of it, you never EVER want to stop to take a picture when you're on the interesting trails, and the bike just comes alive once it hits single track, it'd be a crime to pull up for a photo of it.

@Lakes Road Sheep: I'm out in Central Australia, the town literally ENDS at the last house, doesn't taper off into farmland or anything, there's a street, then there's bushland until you hit the coast, so it is pretty remote. Also why you see saddlebags (loaded with innertubes and repairkits) and overstocks of water on me at all times, crashes out here can get pretty serious fast, especially in the heat.

Speaking of which, I got an SKS saddlebag for the bike I need to take a photo of, because the sucker is black with orange accents and goes with the bike better the chocolate goes with strawberries.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Another great photo! Yeah take a pic of the bag for me, or a link, as I'd love to get one for mine. Thanks

Zaf
    mtbr member

Excuse the image quality on that one, night time, shed lighting, not much I can do about it. But it does show off the saddlebag beautifully, just WORKS!!!

And a glory shot of them both together. Been riding the Fuel EX a bit more lately, actually just came back from a ride tonight, wiped down the stanchions but didn't do a thorough clean of it, so it's a tad bit on the dirty side, especially next to the Superfly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That is a dead on match! U da Man

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I went and had a look in the shop at this bike. Very nice. I am just not sold on the 29er thing. Will 29ers be a thing that fades out in 5 years?
    Is it as nimble at a 26 inch in the turns?

I am tossing up between the Trek and this bike

2013 Matts Lite XT-edition Specifications | 2013 Bike Range | MERIDA Australia

Zaf
    mtbr member
    I think 29'ers are here to stay, most of the larer bike companies have largely increased their 29er line ups quite significantly over the past several years, there's a huge range of parts available and that list has only been increasing, and their performance characteristics have been put through their paces and tuned with newer geometries.

It's different in the turns from a 26'er, I don't want to say it's less nimble, because as I've put more hours into the bike I'm starting to learn how it handles, especially with new rubber on the wheels. I find it pushes through corners beautifully.

Try and get a demo on one and see if it's to your liking, research and going into a sale better informed has never hurt anyone in the passed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    There is a 19" one at my LBS in Gainesville GA. The name is Bike Town USA. Its for sale at $2200 I believe. Only one in stock if you guys are interested.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just converted it to an SS today! Love it so far!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Trek Superfly AL Elite (pics)-img_0842.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Nice! Trek are always... Trek! G2 Geometry - amazing, confortable and agile.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    What size frame is that? How much is that weighing in at? Mine, in it's current state, with bottle cages, saddlebag with spare tube, bike pump, maxxis wheels, clocks in at 12.3kg (19" frame).

I'm trying to get my hands on a 17 degree sweep stem to throw on it so I can drop that sucker down a little bit more. Otherwise riding a dream.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Its a 17" Frame and it's 22.4lbs right now after going tubeless and shedding the gears. May end up getting a new wheelset, and a super light seat as I dont sit much anymore.... But I'm real happy with it right now. My new pedals will be here sometime this week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What size tires do you think will fit on this bike? Looks absolutely beautiful!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    ZAF you seem to be able to give some advice since you have a similar bike as myself.

I have been concidering a 29er HT to either replace or compliment my 2011 Fuel EX8. I am looking at a few bikes. The HT thing as me wondering since I have been on a FS since 1997. I am looking at a cannondale F29-2 or the Trek SF elite. I have also thrown around the Idea of a SF 100 elite or stache 8 and replace my EX8. I really like the lefty on the cannondale. My trails here dont seem to be very technical. I can appreciate the comfort of a fs bike. I just rode about 20 miles yesteday. I dont really go for long epic rides. Most very person I ride with has a 29er HT. As I said I dont compete but may want to do a couple TT in the future. I can appreciate the efficiency of an HT.
    2017 Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just ordered mine today, can't wait. I was tempted by the Stache 8 because of the 2X10 but I may just look at converting this one at some point. The shop is going to convert it to tubeless for me once it arrives and I may ask them about a 2X10 conversion as well. They said it may come in on Wednesday so it may be ready for pick up this Friday, holiday weekend riding stoke!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    ZAF you seem to be able to give some advice since you have a similar bike as myself.

I have been concidering a 29er HT to either replace or compliment my 2011 Fuel EX8. I am looking at a few bikes. The HT thing as me wondering since I have been on a FS since 1997. I am looking at a cannondale F29-2 or the Trek SF elite. I have also thrown around the Idea of a SF 100 elite or stache 8 and replace my EX8. I really like the lefty on the cannondale. My trails here dont seem to be very technical. I can appreciate the comfort of a fs bike. I just rode about 20 miles yesteday. I dont really go for long epic rides. Most very person I ride with has a 29er HT. As I said I dont compete but may want to do a couple TT in the future. I can appreciate the efficiency of an HT.
    Another guy who lives in Central Australia who came off a 26 dual suspension now rides a 29 hardtail and doesn't feel the need to go 29er duallie. The small bumpy stuff that is hard to tune out with a rear shock (without blowing through travel on big hits) is precisely the sort of thing the 29er helps with.
    I also spent some time in Alice, and I'd have to agree. I'm not sure the dually would give you much more comfort/speed if the trails are not overly technical.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post

It's a really hard choice, or a really easy one.

I run a Fuel EX 9 and the Superfly AL Elite, and to be entirely honest, I love them both. As Alexrandall said, the 29er wheel has a really beautiful way of cutting out chatter on trails due to its roll over and that is perfect for the terrain out here.

I also have my Fuel EX perfectly tuned in at the moment, its suspension is just right on the money, no bob when I climb, flies over small bumps beautifully and as soon as going gets technical the DRCV kicks in and just pushes through that travel and begs for more, it is so seamless and such a clever suspension set up...it's hard not to love.

There's so much to love about both bikes. I love the hardtail because it reminds me not to be a lazy rider. The rougher ride of the bike forces you to use your body a lot more, especially when the going gets technical, as well as better line choices, I feel it builds my skill level better then the full suspension does. But that's not to say it's simply a "training rig for the full susser", that would cheapen how much I love the 29er.

When I go out to the shed, I have trouble choosing which bike I want to ride on any given day, because I truly enjoy both of them so much. As such, it means I'm probably not going to be very useful in dispensing any advice that would involve choosing one over the other, because any such decision I feel should be met with "BUY BOTH!!!". Take comfort in the thought that both bikes are gorgeous to ride, you can't really go wrong with either.

Test ride as much as possible, see what you like and what you don't, just make sure you're buying for what YOU want, and not because "all the other kids were doing it!"

On a side note, still haven't gotten around to going tubeless on the 29er, I have the rim tape there and plenty of sealant, but haven't found the motivation to set it all up. Thinking I might soon though, repaired a very flat rear tyre this weekend and the wheel felt so heavy when I picked it up...might be nice to shave a little bit of weight of the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quick question on setting up you Fuel suspension. How far off in PSi were you from the suggested amount per trek by you r weight vs what you actually set it at? Example my front shock suggests 70 psi for my weight and I find it good at 60psi. But is can be difficult for me to set sag regaurding fork stiction. Also did you have pro pedal on when setting rear sag? Do you ride mostly with pro pedal on or use DCRV? I am finding it more justifiable to have both a 29er ht and my fuel. I plan on demo the Stache and also a cannondale F29...love the lefty! But yes when things get technical or tight trails the fuel accelerates and handles it very well.
    2017 Fuel EX 9

Zaf
    mtbr member
    With the front fork, the Trek website's calculator was way off, suggesting really high PSI settings that were making the fork use barely blow through half the travel. As I recall, it was telling me to set it at 130PSI on the website and I was finding 100PSI gave me a nice firm front end setup, so it was WAY over reading. (Mind you, different year and model of the Fuel EX, not sure if the 2011's were over reading or not).

The rear I pretty much ALWAYS have in pro-pedal, very rarely move it out of that setting and if memory serves I've got that running a little stiffer (245) then recommended 230 PSI on the Trek website, personal prefference there though. The Trek website is great for giving you a nice ballpark or starting point, but full sussers really need to be tinkered with and experimented with to get the settings you like. Don't be afraid to fiddle.
    Always set the rear sag with the chamber open, don't have it in pro-pedal for any sag settings. With the front fork I believe they recommend you set your rebound to be as slow as possible as well, and, as with ALL DRCV suspension setups, make sure you cycle the fork/shock through at least 60% of its travel after you've pumped it up to make sure both chambers are equalised before setting sag.

The cannondale's are beautiful bikes, a few guys out here running the lefties. The Hardtail is really nice, I'd love to invest in a lighter wheelset for the 29er, get the sucker running tubeless and throw on some Ice-Tech rotors, but funds are tight at the moment. Still, the bike is so much fun, it has such a great feel to it; there is something about climbing on that bike, the way it hops up technical ascents, how composed it feels at speed, how nimble it is in corners.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yea my front for would be different. I dont have DCRV on the fork. Only the shock. I may go over my sag settings again. Yea the rebound was too fast for my liking. I got it backed off by 1 click, Probably could go 2 clicks from suggested.
    2017 Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just noticed I would like to get a set of those grips with the orange ring and maybe the seat clamp also in orange. That would be some nice touches to my all black EX8 with orange candy pedels
    2017 Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Sick

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    SO sick

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Picked mine up on Wednesday, I was really surprised that it had come in early. So early in fact, that I didn't really get a chance to prep the wifeI am hoping to get it out for a ride later today. Boy was she and is still pi$$ed, they just don't get that it's okay to have more than one bike at a time......
    I will post pics and first ride thoughts later. I have been looking at in sitting in my office for the last day and a half and I can say the level of for and finish and attention to detail is awesome. The longer you look at it the nicer it is. Can't wait to get it dirty!

Zaf
    mtbr member

Just another glory shot. Was doing some riding down a great fire track, loose rocks everywhere, follows a ridge line, up and down with some great rolling descents. Came across a little camp spot and stopped to take some pics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Pictures as previously promised. The attention to detail and craftsmanship of this bike is awesome. If your on the fence just go get one!

http://2013treksuperflyalelite.shutt...m/pictures#n_5

Zaf
    mtbr member
    I've ordered mine some new Ice-Tech rotors as well as a new 100mm Bontrager Race X lite 17 Stem so I can really slam those handlebars down a bit more. I have an Hour of Power race this Saturday, thinking the 29er might well be my weapon of choice for it, especailly seeing as there's a great section of track that is quite open and flowy which can really take that big chain ring for a spin.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've ordered mine some new Ice-Tech rotors as well as a new 100mm Bontrager Race X lite 17 Stem so I can really slam those handlebars down a bit more. I have an Hour of Power race this Saturday, thinking the 29er might well be my weapon of choice for it, especailly seeing as there's a great section of track that is quite open and flowy which can really take that big chain ring for a spin.
    Curious to see how the SLX/Ice Tech combo works for you...I was thinking of going the same route on an inbound Stache 8 (and perhaps my AL Elite also). Good luck @ the Hour of Power!

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Casualties of war. Think I did it on my last lap, must have clipped a rock, because I don't remember anything eventful happening, or even recall hearing the tyre scrape, but there was a nice big gash in the sidewall, and I was thankfully still running tubulars for it.
    Of course, it HAD to be on my Ikon 3C Exception Series front tyre...couldn't have happened to my cheap folding Aspen on the back. The hole is pretty significant, tried patching it, but even a double folded five dollar note was stretching out. Pretty pissed about that, as the tyre's only seen about 300km.

Otherwise, the bike ran beautifully. So stiff and responsive, just ate up the track.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Sorry for the double post, but my stem finally arrived, so I got to slam the handlebars. Also went over to a tubeless setup, which knocked a bit of weight off the bike. With saddlebags (including a spare inner tube), pump and bottle cages mounted to the bike it's weighing in at about 12.0kg.

Also took a hot knife out and cut all the small circlular lugs off the Crossmark so the larger lugs can dig in better on the sides. Not perfectly visible, was a slow process, and there's still about 1mm on each circle off the tyre wall...was afraid of putting the blade all the way through.

Need to trim down my fork post as well.

Last edited by Zaf; 01-19-2013 at 12:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Did you notice any difference with the ice tech rotors? Are you riding the fuel much anymore? I am still waiting to demo the 29er (superfly and stache) next month at the Atlanta southeast convention. What size superfly do you have again?
    2017 Fuel EX 9

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Running 19" Superfly.
    Still ride the Fuel EX heaps, truly love both bikes.

The Ice Tech's are silent. The original rotors were quiet, no doubt, the rear squeaked a little after being ridden hard, breaking power is a little bit more grippy, but not massively. Still, looks pro, and it's that extra bit of confidence against brake fade.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk HD

Zaf
    mtbr member

Trimmed down my steerer tube. That slammed stem, there's no coming back, it feels amazing. Had to re-do my fork pressures and raise them up about 15PSI (to 110psi) as the new riding position has me far more over the front. It is VERY comfortable in climbs now, I barely need to shift my weight to keep the front from rising, feel very centered both in and out of the saddle.

This morning put a personal best time down on a nice little section of track known out here on the bike. Loving this bike!!!

Ordered her a new CHris King top cap in the same orange, to give a little more flash to it. Such a gorgeous bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Stache 8 or Superfly AL Elite

Hello all, I have a Fuel EX 9.8 but after reading a lot I'm really thinking to buy a HT 29er. I'm not sure if I should go with the Stache 8 and its nice features such as post mounted rear break, 142x12 rear axle, direct mounted front derailleur, XT shadow plus rear derailleur, 2x10 or a Superfly AL Elite with 100mm fork, XT crank, 32spokes rims.
    I do race for fun a few times a year, my races include some 6hour races, one 12 hours race and a few XC races. As I said I race for fun and to see if I have improve my riding.
    I live in the Cincinnati area and my very knowledgeable friend is recommending against the Stache because might be to similar to the Fuel EX and even more on the technical trail side of things, and that will be a great bike going downhill but not so good on the uphill side of things. Any advice it is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

I'm in the same boat trying to decide between a stache and superfly. Bobby at my local shop let me borrow his personal stache. Here's my thoughts.

Thought I'd provide an update on my experience with a Stache 8. I had the opportunity to borrow a personal bike from Bobby at FreeFlite (thanks Bobby!) and take it out for a good hard ride to really see what the "trail" geometry was all about. The trails of choice were Tanasi. We parked at ThunderRock campground and rode the Old Copper Road out to Boyd Gap and Brush Creek and then up into Tanasi for a tour of Chestnut, Quartz, BearPaw, etc. The Tanasi trails offer a great mix of long, steady climbs, steep short climbs, fast downhills, some techy singletrack - although not too much, Tsali-esque lakeside trails and ear-to-ear grinning fun.

Bobby's Stache was built with a much more all-mountain flavor than I would run, which included FlowEX wheels with some monster 2.35 Bontrager tires, with tubes, a RockShox Reverb dropper post, BlackSpire chainguide, 12-34 gearing and a 3x XT crank running 2x with a bashguard. The stem was a shorty 60-70mm stem with a +17deg rise and a superwide 750mm+ wide lo-rise bar. The only thing in common with the complete bike from Trek was the frame and fork - everything else was what Bobby chose to run and what suits his riding style, which is decidedly more focused on all-mtn/freeride.

Positives:
    -The cockpit "feel" of the bike was excellent. I felt very much in the bike rather than on top of the bike like I have in the past with most other 29'rs.
    -The new Fox CTD fork was hands-down the nicest fork I have ridden. The climb-trail-descend options were spot on, damping was very good for my 155-160lb frame and the small bump compliance (read: plushness) was excellent. At speed, the high-speed compression and damping characteristics just worked. In the "climb" mode, the fork was solid unlike every other reba I've had in the past. Initially I wasn't sure that I "needed" the extra 20mm of travel, but by the end of the ride, my most literal comparison was to the old saying of having a V8 in your car - "there's no replacement for displacement." The extra 20mm was a welcome addition when hitting waterbars at what feels like warp speed and finding that you're still moving forward and not flat on your back from an endo.
    -The 1deg slacker headtube and shorter effective top tube made for a very neutral, fun, flickable bike. I kept looking for the feeling of driving a truck through the tight trees, but it wasn't there. The Stache doesn't have shorter chainstays, <17", like the Honzo, Nimble9, YelliScreamy; however, even at 17.5", the bike flicked through the trees very nicely and much differently than the previous 29'rs I've ridden. A close second was some recent time aboard a Cannondale flash 29'r - that bike was very flickable as well, but also very XC focused. I guess, the best way to describe the whole package was that it was smooth, fast, predictable in the rough and very stable in fast sweepers. I quickly gained confidence in the bike, tires...the whole package. It turned in nicely, drifted well and had good manners at speed.
    -15mm maxle and 142-12 rear axle: These axle configurations were noticeably stiffer - especially in the chop. I can see how std 135spacing and 9mm QRs are becoming outdated.

Negatives:
    -Weight. Bobby's build had a 1975g wheelset, 2 tires that were 850g each, plus tubes for a total of over 8.25lbs of rolling weight. That was a lot of weight to get up to speed and my knees feel it today. I believe a Crest wheelset at 1600g, 2 550g tires, some stan's sealant and rim strips and I could easily lose 2-2.25lbs in rolling weight. I didn't care for the dropper post and would likely opt for a nice carbon post to offset the aluminum frame. I believe his bike was easily 28lbs of all mountain fun - I'd like to see it closer to 25.
    -Gearing. Again, some of this is just due to Bobbby's build, not what I'd choose, or what comes stock. The bike wasn't setup to be a particularly efficient climber. I did my best hanging on the back of a good group, but could really feel the weight of the wheels, the 34 in the back and the 26/38 in the front. I think with a silghtly longer and lower stem and proper gearing, the bike would climb very well.

Neutral:
    -Aluminum Frame: This is a high end, butted and sculpted aluminum frame that rode very well and didn't feel like the stiff, non-butted aluminum of old. It was remarkably...neutral. It wasn't as sexy as the much more en vogue carbon frames with sub 20lb builds, but it did have some cool frame shaping and characteristics that were really cool and functional such as no bridge between the chain and seat stays allowing for a fatter tire and reduced mud collection, flattened seat tube at the BB to allow for a bigger tire, tapered headtube, etc.

Last thoughts:
    I believe this, or similar, will be my next "go to" bike for everyday riding. The question that remains is whether I can get the weight down to a respectable 24.5-25lbs in a 17.5" and still comfortably race the bike in an occasional duathlon or XC race, or ORAMM, PMBAR, etc., and still have a bike that excels at singletrack bliss; I believe that I can. Trek did a good job on this frame and the only thing that I thing would make the geometry any better would be a slightly shorter chainstay of 17-17.2" vs. 17.5", which, not coincidentally is the same as the Superfly.

Huge thanks to Bobby at FreeFlite for "handing over the keys" to his personal ride for a day of fun.

mike

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

So...I placed an order yesterday for a Stache 8
    Last edited by mhopton; 01-30-2013 at 05:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    So...I placed an order yesterday for a Stache 8
    Thank you for the real detailed information Mhopton. From what I read the stache8 is more a All Mountain bike (similar to a Remedy) than a XC bike, is that correct? I have a Fuel EX 9.8, which is my single trail bike and I want to have another bike that feels and handles a little bit different. So I was wondering if Stache 8 will be too similar to the Fuel EX 9.8? or if I'm not going to have as much fun because we don't have enough challenging trails around here.

The Superfly sounds like a real fun bike for XC races but I'm not sure if I will have fun if I'm just going out for a quick 1 or 2 hour ride..

Zaf
    mtbr member

I'm loving the Superfly. The Bike just feels so right, I can't remember what I've written so far but I'll try and do a little recap in a similar fashion to what Mhopton did for his friends Stache. Mine will likely compare it more to the Fuel EX 9 I have though, as they're the two bikes I ride.

Positives
    - Cockpit as well, especially now I've got my stem height suited for me, the bike feels so steady. Even though it shares the same wheelbase as my Fuel Ex, so much easier to track stand on feel very planted on the bike.
    - Cornering, the G2 geometry is magic, probably a large reason it feels so stable turns in beautifully. The top tube doesn't angle down as agressively as the Fuel and the larger wheels to make it a little trickier to really lean the bike into corners, but don't take that as a statement that it doesn't want to. Low speed cornering and climbing switchbacks are just amazing to ride on this bike.
    - Stiffness, you never feel the bike flex and it really just powers in when you stomp the pedals. It's really hard to describe, but the bike makes you want to attack hills like a single speed and just throw your momentum at them. I absolutely LOVE climbing hills on this bike.

Negatives
    - Compliance, or more lack thereof, the bike is really stiff, and that back end does has a tendency to "bounce" a little when hitting small obstacles. It's sort of what you expect from aluminium, a carbon or steel frame this is not, and on rocky trails you will feel it all through your hips and legs afterwards. Get the cockpit right, I was having a little bit of back pain with the previous higher stem.
    - Orange colouring, don't get me wrong, I LOVE IT!!! Think it's the sexiest bike there is, but it's almost impossible to find accessories for the bike that come in orange, and if you can, they cost a fortune (here's looking at you, Chris King mango hubs). It seems the best colour in the world comes with an exclusive buyers list and price tag for those who want to keep their pretty colour scheme.

Neutral
    - The CTD Fork. Don't get me wrong, it is an amazing fork, and CTD is so simple. It might just be the trails out here and the way technical stuff appears out of nowhere in them, and there's simply no time to switch the CTD setting, a remote CTD would have been welcome, but a firm trail setting does a beautiful job as an all rounder. I would really love a Kashima option for the fork, and the DRCV fork on the Fuel EX has left me spoilt with how much customisation is on that. CTD is beautiful, but I miss some of finer tuning that I have on my Fuel EX.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4