mtbr member

2013 Trek Slash 9 DH/Freeride Test

Test riding a friend's 2013 Slash 9 in stock trim through some gaps, drops, etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    so how did you like it compared to what you ride?

mtbr member
    The bike that I ride that I can best compare it to is my 2011 Trek Scratch 9. The Slash definately pedals better but is a little more sketchy on the DH/FR stuff like jumps and drops due to the shorter travel and steeper head angle. The build spec is spot on for its intended purpose though which is AM/light freeride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Spot on in regard to 2013 Slash 9. I does pedal better than the 2011 Scratch 9. But it is definately no Scratch 9. The frame and rear dropouts are much more beefy on the Scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by rat7761 View Post
    The bike that I ride that I can best compare it to is my 2011 Trek Scratch 9. The Slash definately pedals better but is a little more sketchy on the DH/FR stuff like jumps and drops due to the shorter travel and steeper head angle. The build spec is spot on for its intended purpose though which is AM/light freeride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    where is this

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Wild looking piece of earth you're riding. Where are you?

mtbr member
    Kauai, Hawaii

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fcaw11 View Post
    Spot on in regard to 2013 Slash 9. I does pedal better than the 2011 Scratch 9. But it is definately no Scratch 9. The frame and rear dropouts are much more beefy on the Scratch.
    WTF, the Slash was designed to make up where the Scratch was lacking? Scratch was an abortion on many fronts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The scratch was heavy compared to the slash, but at least it had a normal size rear shock (8.5 x 2.5)
    2012 Trek slash 8
    2008 Specialized Stumpy

Prev Bikes:
    2010 Trek scratch (gone but great bike)
    2012 Specialized Demo 8

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by coicab View Post
    The scratch was heavy compared to the slash, but at least it had a normal size rear shock (8.5 x 2.5)
    True, so true. Lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The OP is testing the Slash 9 for it's DH/Freeride ability. The Slash 9 is an enduro rig. The Scratch 9 coil is a freeride rig which is more capable on the trail the OP tested BOTH rigs on.

I have plenty of saddle time on both rigs.

Quote Originally Posted by gravelman View Post
    WTF, the Slash was designed to make up where the Scratch was lacking? Scratch was an abortion on many fronts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    So what bike is a better bike in your opinion then?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Both bikes have their merits when ridden in their intended purpose.

For a 25+ epic ride with climbs the Slash 9, it has 2x10, steeper HA, shorter chainstays which equate to climbing ability for a 160mm travel bike. It descends amazingly well too.

For bike park, freeride, & shuttle runs, Scratch 9 coil, 65*HA, 1x9, 36t front ring, plush coil suspension 180mm front and 170mm rear. It climbs ok till the grade gets too steep, then it's hike a bike.