mtbr member
    Dec 2012

2013 trek marlin - widest tire?

Hey all,
    Does anyone know what is the widest tire that would fit on a stock 2013 trek marlin?

Right now i'm looking at the 2.25 michelin wild grip'r 2, 2.35 nobby nic, or 2.35 panaracer rampage. Opinions on these tires and whether they will fit the marlin? I'm looking for someting with good traction on roots/rocks when wet.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thats tough to say as different brands sizes can sometimes measure very different. Schwalbe is going to be the largest of what you mentioned and may not fit. On average I would say a smallish 2.3 would be the biggest you can go. Have you tried any specialized tires. I would say have a look at the butcher control 29x2.3. Not the fastest tire out ther but softer compound and great grip

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the info sure_is! I haven't tried anything yet, I wasn't sure how folks figured this out? do people just buy tires and try it and return them if it doesn't fit?

Maybe I should stick with 2.25 sized tires to be safe and see how much clearance I end up with to maybe try 2.35 in the future...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have Marlin with WTB wolfverine 2.5 havent had any issues with that size.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Front and back or only front?

2.25 Nobby Nics rubbed my FD in granny gear. They are big for that size though IMO.

As mentioned not all sizes are identical, ill also assume you run stock wheels. Remember wider wheels will change the profile of the tire as well.

To be safe; 2.2 out back, up to 2.4 front is what I'd recommend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    In case anyone else checks this thread - I went with 2.25 Nobby Nic performance and didn't have any clearance issues.