mtbr member
    Jun 2006

2013 Trek Mamba Questions

I'm considering picking up one of these at my lbs. my wife likes one of the trek commuters and gave me the go ahead if I want to get it. My questions are, do you All think this is a good entry level bike? I'll be doing mostly urban riding with trails sprinkled in here and there. I've seen positive reviews and also some seriously negative ones. Lastly, what should I expect to pay for the bike? I'm pretty sure 14's are coming out in a couple months.

I was also looking at the fx line. Basically I'm all over the place.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    had a 12' MAMBA as my starter bike and it got me hooked to MTB! sold it to my buddy so he can ride with me and he too is content and enjoying it.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    2013 Trek Mamba Questions-img_20130514_130926_422.jpg
    I grabbed a 13 Mamba to try out a 29er to see what they were all about. I think its a good value and I'm pretty happy with the purchase. I paid 859.00 a few months ago so I'm sure the price is down a bit now. It will do the things you are looking at riding and get you into single track riding if you decide to try it. Are there better/lighter bikes for just urban? Sure, but with the Mamba you gain some flexibility in the terrain you can ride without destroying you or the bike. I would just make sure that the spring in the fork (XC 32) is matched close to your weight before you leave the shop and grab some good alloy pedals. Hope it helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Spent a fair amount of time reading and I'm really leaning away from the mamba. There's quite a few complaints that I've read and in testing the bike I was very unimpressed with the brakes.

I'm going to ride a talon 29er tomorrow. The bike shop guy had nothing but good things to say and from what I've read it really sounds like its a solid platform.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattism78 View Post
    Spent a fair amount of time reading and I'm really leaning away from the mamba. There's quite a few complaints that I've read and in testing the bike I was very unimpressed with the brakes.

I'm going to ride a talon 29er tomorrow. The bike shop guy had nothing but good things to say and from what I've read it really sounds like its a solid platform.
    Both bikes get equal complaints from what I have read online. Look at reviews here and at other sites. I have the 2013 mamba and have had no issues with the brakes yet. There was a rubbing noise when riding at first but they have seemed to have broken in now and no noise. I test rode a talon and it was a nice bike as well. I ultimately went with the mamba because it was during trekfest and I got a better deal. Plus I loved the matte black paint on the mamba. The mamba overall gets pretty solid reviews. What about the brakes bothered you? They seem pretty solid to me. Let us know which bike you ultimately get. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. They are both great entry level bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I got a 2012, which has I think ever so slightly better components (especially brakes). I know they went from shimano to Hayes which generally seem to be the source of complaints. In large part, I think the people that really don't like them are the riders who are ripping up singletrack downhills. So if you're only going to be doing some fairly tame riding, you shouldn't have any problems.

As far as the bike I have, I love everything about it. The frame is versatile, handles very well, and the components are/were better than any other offerings at the same price point (when I got it). Good luck and have fun riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Looking to upgrade the wheelset on my Mamba. What are the specs I'll need to know before doing so?

mtbr member

Re: 2013 Trek Mamba Questions

Mamba is a very solid ride for entry lvl. The complaints are ppl that are expecting it to be a 2500 bike for $900 and complain that its not. Plus all disc brakes have to be bedded in before they work to full potential. All bikes under $1500+ are going to get bad reviews cause either ppl expect the best for practically free or are new to biking and didn't bother to ask questions or have adjustments made to get the bike to its best, just expect it to take on hard trails right outta the store ignoring any break in period.

Hell look around and the best bikes will get complaints cause either by bad luck a warranty issue came up or the person that bought it had no idea what to do with it. Happens to every brand out there every bike.

So go test rise a few and get what u like, not what the ppl doing the reviewing say.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I love my Mamba, it's a 2013. I got it last December so I paid about $920. I too was an entry level rider having rode a 7.3FX for a few years. I'll never go back to the road. I've made a few minor upgrades such as the Crank Brothers 50/50 2 pedals, Schwalbe tubeless tires and the Evoke 3 Ti rail saddle. My only complaint that I haven't rectified are the brakes. I only complain now, and not immediately after I bought the bike because my riding has improved and I've been pushing myself and the bike harder and I see a real shortcoming with my stopping power. Yes, my pads are okay. I will be upgrading to the Stache 6, because for $1400 to get the Alpha Platinum aluminum frame and some upgraded components will be a frame I build on for a few years down the road.

Overall, the Mamba has been great for me as an entry level rider putting in an average of 150 miles per month.