mtbr member
    Jun 2013

2013 Trek Fuel EX 26ers Speak Up

Hi.

My LBS has a '13 Trek Fuel EX8 and is willing to deal on it. I'm not sure if that's because the 29ers Fuels just came out. I test rode it and it's a really nice bike with great components. He would need to order me a 18.5 because the 19.5 I rode was a bit big for my 5'9" frame. Do you think I should go with the 26er ($375 discount off MSRP) or should I just save up and just get a Fuel 8 29er. I am still considering a 2012 Anthem X 29er 2 that was discounted to only $1700, but after riding the Fuel, I can appreciate its much better components. I'm also concerned that 26" FS bikes might be obsolete in a couple of years. What do you think?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i have a '13 fuel 7.

i bought it earlier this year from the trek store here locally and it was on 'sale'.

reading through the forum you would think the 26" wheel size is going away!

being replaced by the 27" and 29"... i think the 26" has life it in still

i am not a very good technical rider and am still learning.

but i do know that i do not want to be much higher than i already am.

that may change as i progress but i have not ridden either a 27" or 29" bike.

also, i am approx. 5'10" and my fuel 7 is listed at 17.5 and virtually 18.5 ( i think ) and i think i should have gone down a lil more.

good luck and post up a pic of whatever you get!!!

joel

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    13 Fuel ex 7 and loving it! 19.5 size....you will enjoy that 26er if you buy it. Nothing wrong with that wheel size. I also have 29er HT but my Fuel gets most of my ride time.
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    One more thing...Fuel bikes have great reviews and positive feedback. I did my research for couple months before buying and now i'm drinking the KOOL AID ...bike is lighting quick too! All this talk about 26ers going away is hilarious. Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks, the specs on the 2013 EX8 really are outstanding. Trek also made quite a few updates over the 2012 model. It really wouldn't make sense for them to drop this bike anytime soon.

Fuel EX 8 - Trek Bicycle

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

I had originally picked up '12 fuel 6.

I rode it about a month and then brought it back.

Trek does not have refund policy... Rather, there are no returns / refunds but you can trade up within a month.

So, I did that and got the '13 fuel 7

Just paid the difference.

I used Trek's credit card to take advantage of the no interest for 12 months.

Joel
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    LOL gotta love that Trek credit card almost pulled the trigger on the new Fuel 29 Ex 7 but wanted to have a 26er to add to my stable...maybe in a 2 or 3 years i'll purchase Fuel 29er or the next BIG THING...hard to keep up with the MTB market

29ers Forever
    I prefer the new Fuel EX 29er, but if the deal is the correct price, then I'd say go for it. If you like the bike, buy it.

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    Check out Pinkbike's take on the various wheel sizes:

Opinion: 26 vs 27.5 vs 29-inch Wheels - Pinkbike

It all comes down to what you're looking for. Fastest lap time, lower difficulty; go for a 29er. Biggest smile on your face at the end of the day; 26er with the win.

Personally, I'm looking to get a 2013 EX8 (26er) within the next few months.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the link!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    26" forever! no wagon wheel (29er) bike for me! 19 years riding 26er still have fun! that's what it's all about!

mtbr member
    I totally agree!! I just bought a brand new 2012 Fuel EX 9.9.. I love this bike!!! I demoed a few 29ers and I don't see the appeal? There heavy bikes and you can't whip them around like a 26er. The 9.9 I had my eye on for a long time and finally pulled the trigger.. I couldn't be happier the bike is hands down Amazing to ride.. Now if it would only stop raining..

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I don't really whip my bike around the trails. I just like to move along the trail and get a good workout. Unfortunately here in CT we only have trails full of rock gardens. I am wondering if a 29’ner will help smooth out the trail for me and my back? I am 6’2 so perhaps the 29’ner will fit better. I have tried both and I get used to either size very quickly once I get going.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_m View Post
    I don't really whip my bike around the trails. I just like to move along the trail and get a good workout. Unfortunately here in CT we only have trails full of rock gardens. I am wondering if a 29’ner will help smooth out the trail for me and my back? I am 6’2 so perhaps the 29’ner will fit better. I have tried both and I get used to either size very quickly once I get going.
    If I was 6'2 I would definitely go with a 29er. I'm 5'9" and unless I can get a great deal on a 26fs, I will go 29er myself.

29ers Forever
    Yes, a 29er will roll over rocks easier, and as for comfort, a 29er full suspension would be key.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    What bike are you riding now?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek13 View Post
    What bike are you riding now?
    Trek 4900, 26" HT for about the last 11 years.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Trek 4900, 26" HT for about the last 11 years.
    I think you'd be amazed at the difference between a HT and a FS 29er or a 26 FS with 5" of travel. Personally, from just testing all the bikes I have, on only street/potholes and curb jumping, I can tell the difference between a HT 29er or HT 26er. Much less comfy for sure. I do; however; find it more difficult to tell the difference between a 29er with 4" of FS vs a 26er with 5" of FS though. This may be why all the major manufactures only have high end components on 26ers with 5" (120mm) plus travel now.
    Last edited by Trek13; 06-27-2013 at 07:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I rode 29er HT for a year and got deal on FS (26er) and let's just say I don't ride my 29HT anymore It's so alive on the trail and plush....probably will only ride my 29er around the block and some local paved bike paths. Fuel 26 or 29 great choice

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan1113 View Post
    I rode 29er HT for a year and got deal on FS (26er) and let's just say I don't ride my 29HT anymore It's so alive on the trail and plush....probably will only ride my 29er around the block and some local paved bike paths. Fuel 26 or 29 great choice
    Yep, found out Trek sales don't start until 7/15, that's what my LBS said anyway. I can wait. Also, took out a 13 Trek Rumblefish (standard model) and the Fuel EX 29er 7. I actually preferred the Rumblefish, but that may have been because it was the right size. The Fuel was an inch too big and I felt stretched out way too far. Brakes, suspension and other components were too close to call.

Wish I could find a Giant Trance 29er 3 to compare. Price is less but specs are a little lower also.

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    I've spent time on the 2013 ex8. It is a fantastic bike. Don't worry about wheel size.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    From the 29th of June to the 24th of July Trek has a sale going on most of their 2013 range.

Trek Fuel EX 9 for $3,199 is a big note there, $800 off. That's an AMAZING deal!!!
    Fuel EX 8 for $2,399, etc.

Worth looking at, if you were punching at EX 8 previously, find the money to throw your leg over the EX9 because they're a great bike with an amazing kit on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaf View Post
    From the 29th of June to the 24th of July Trek has a sale going on most of their 2013 range.

Trek Fuel EX 9 for $3,199 is a big note there, $800 off. That's an AMAZING deal!!!
    Fuel EX 8 for $2,399, etc.

Worth looking at, if you were punching at EX 8 previously, find the money to throw your leg over the EX9 because they're a great bike with an amazing kit on it.
    Thanks, I thought the EX 8 had amazing specs, let me take a look at the 9. I also got confirmation from Dan Ajer, Inside Sales Rep for Trek, that these sales are going on now through all authorized dealers and to call him if they said that they were not participating.

I'm also considering renting a FS Specialized Camber Comp for a week for $180. If I then buy any mountain bike from them they put that money towards the new bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Damn i should have waited couple months lol...oh well loving my Fuel 7!!!

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Thanks, I thought the EX 8 had amazing specs, let me take a look at the 9. I also got confirmation from Dan Ajer, Inside Sales Rep for Trek, that these sales are going on now through all authorized dealers and to call him if they said that they were not participating.

I'm also considering renting a FS Specialized Camber Comp for a week for $180. If I then buy any mountain bike from them they put that money towards the new bike.
    It does have a great spec, but the EX 9 gets some really nice upgrades. Dropper post, Rythm Elite wheels, full XT kit, Kashima coated forks, face meltingly sexy paintjob. At the price it is at the moment, you CANNOT beat it from a price for the kit perspective.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It does have a great spec, but the EX 9 gets some really nice upgrades. Dropper post, Rythm Elite wheels, full XT kit, Kashima coated forks, face meltingly sexy paintjob. At the price it is at the moment, you CANNOT beat it from a price for the kit perspective.
    Thanks, I noticed the EX 9 comes with a 28 hole wheel system vs 32 for the EX 8. Would the EX8 have the stronger rims. Should this be a concern?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks, I noticed the EX 9 comes with a 28 hole wheel system vs 32 for the EX 8. Would the EX8 have the stronger rims. Should this be a concern?
    The 32 hole would be more bomb proof? as youll be able to ride a 32 hole rim with 1 spoke missing. Where as a 28hole you cant, the wheel will just buckle.
    I would personally ditch bontrager wheels and go with custom built ones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So what's a good wheelset to upgrade from bontrager? my bike only month old so i'll wait to get use out of them first....Just curious on what everyone upgrading on their Fuel bikes..

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan1113 View Post
    So what's a good wheelset to upgrade from bontrager? my bike only month old so i'll wait to get use out of them first....Just curious on what everyone upgrading on their Fuel bikes..
    I don't have a Fuel EX, but I'd put a DT Swiss wheelset on. Personally, I like the stock Bontrager rims.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    There is no need to ditch the Bontrager's. My Trek Fuel EX 9 i still running the Rythm Elite's that came on it (I bought it about a year ago), with only retensioning of the spokes being required so far. They have been through some poor treatment as well, none of it on purpose, but they roll true, they're bomb proof, they're light, with Bonty rim strips their tubeless system is amazingly easy.

Rythm Elites are a wheelset worth buying on their own and throwing on a bike, hence my recommendation of spending the extra money on the EX9 over the EX8. The Bontrager hubs run DT swiss internals anyway. At the very least, you should be riding the wheels off the bike and then replacing them, but don't for a moment think the lower spoke count has anything to do with a lack of stiffness or strength in that wheelset.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    There is no need to ditch the Bontrager's. My Trek Fuel EX 9 i still running the Rythm Elite's that came on it (I bought it about a year ago), with only retensioning of the spokes being required so far. They have been through some poor treatment as well, none of it on purpose, but they roll true, they're bomb proof, they're light, with Bonty rim strips their tubeless system is amazingly easy.

Rythm Elites are a wheelset worth buying on their own and throwing on a bike, hence my recommendation of spending the extra money on the EX9 over the EX8. The Bontrager hubs run DT swiss internals anyway. At the very least, you should be riding the wheels off the bike and then replacing them, but don't for a moment think the lower spoke count has anything to do with a lack of stiffness or strength in that wheelset.
    The Bontrager wheels do not run DT internals, 2012+ Rhythm Elites come with Formula hubs and the later designs are based on DT Onyx.

The only 1 wheelset made by Bontrager that runs DT internals are the 2013 Race X Lite TLR Disc CL and they are upgradable to 36 POE. Bontrager: Race X Lite TLR Disc CL (Model #11069)

The older model of the Race X Lite TLR Disc CL do not have DT internals in them.
    Bontrager: Race X Lite TLR Disc CL (Model #07848)

How did i know this? I was looking for a set wheels to replace my Rhythm Elites that came with my Fuel Ex 9.8 when my front wheel made a disturbing ticking sound per revolution (i checked forums and these were pretty common, FAIL!), i only rode with the wheels on paved roads for merely a week (2-3hours?). Because of this Bontrager put me off and i cant understand their RPP of $600+ for the set of entry level wheels at 1800+grams. With $600+ i could get a better wheelset! Novatech/Shimano/Others with Stans/Mavic? and it's better engagement!

So for me i wouldn't buy the Rhythm Elites as a wheelset alone.... for $600+ no way! Plus 32hole would always be more bomb proof as compared to 28hole.
    (do a search on the forums)

All these info was replied through an email with Trek, as i was thinking of getting a Race X Lite TLR Disc CL but decided on a custom as the price per POE was just not cost effective. Slapped on another $200+ and i got a set of ck's+819's and never regretted the decision.

I would say, it really depends on you. Ride with it alittle and see how you like it.
    Do you prefer instant engagement when pedaling uphill for technical stuff?
    If you're a coaster or downhill person, engagement wouldn't be much of a problem and 24POE would fit you just fine.

Another alternative, sell the wheelset and invest in another? (youc ould get about $150-250 for the set of Rhythm Elites.

I wouldn't mind looking into 2013 Shimano hubs as it has 36POE and are relatively cheap! slx or xt.

Don't get me wrong, i love Trek! but just hate their wheelsets!
    ps. even bikeradar reviewed the 2014 Fuel Ex and came to a conclusion that the Bontrager Elites were a 'relatively lazy 15-degree engagement speed'.

the Trek Fuel EX 29 9.8 - First Ride Review - BikeRadar
    Last edited by camelunderwear; 07-01-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    The only evidence of that problem I can find is that it's, more often than not, just the rim strip not seated properly and clicking against the valve stem.
    I know people break spokes, and it's something to keep in mind, but in my years of riding I've yet to do one, and I even managed to bring my Bontrager Mustang's (that came on my Superfly AL Elite) down sideways on some rocks, that knocked the rim out of true (repairable) but still didn't manage to snap any spokes.

I was genuinely under the impression that most Bontrager hubs ran DT swiss internals, so I'll stand corrected on that.

The Rythm Elites have those great wide rims (think they're just short of 30mm wide), they're an amazing platform for tyres, and they're tough. Yes, a 32spoke lace pattern will be stronger, but if you're already meeting strength requirements, it's up to the rider for what is gained. Obvously if you've got the money for aftermarket wheels it's not a problem, then it's a matter of deciding whether or not Kashima Forks, full XT (including Ice-Tech) and a dropper post are worth the price difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    hello all,

i am hoping i can get some input here

i have a '13 fuel 7.

i want to have a second set of wheels so i can have a set of semi-street tires for when i ride around my neighborhood and hit the horse trails.

the trek www site has this listed:

Wheels
    Formula DC51 15mm alloy axle front hub; Bontrager sealed cartridge bearing rear hub w/Bontrager Duster Disc 32-hole double-walled Tubeless Ready rims

generally speaking... i have to get:

second set of wheels
    inner tubes
    tires
    10 speed cassette
    a set of brake rotors

can you please help with the specifics????

i noticed the front wheel on my bike has a large diameter quick release bolt than the rear... what is that called?

and, yes... i am a noob to this - lol.

thanks you in advance for the info.

joel

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JAvendan View Post
    hello all,

i am hoping i can get some input here

i have a '13 fuel 7.

i want to have a second set of wheels so i can have a set of semi-street tires for when i ride around my neighborhood and hit the horse trails.

the trek www site has this listed:

Wheels
    Formula DC51 15mm alloy axle front hub; Bontrager sealed cartridge bearing rear hub w/Bontrager Duster Disc 32-hole double-walled Tubeless Ready rims

generally speaking... i have to get:

second set of wheels
    inner tubes
    tires
    10 speed cassette
    a set of brake rotors

can you please help with the specifics????

i noticed the front wheel on my bike has a large diameter quick release bolt than the rear... what is that called?

and, yes... i am a noob to this - lol.

thanks you in advance for the info.

joel
    It's called a 15mm thru axle hub - 15x100.

I'm not sure whats the rear axle size for a Fuel Ex 7, but as for the front it's a 15mm thru axle.

Therefore, you'll need to have a front 15mm (diameter) thru axle hub.
    Then you'll be able to reuse the 15mm axle that came with your bike.

Or you can get those 5mm/9mm to 15mm adapters, i would not recommend as i can't see how those would be able to screw onto the forks nut for stability.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Thank you, camel, for the reply.

I will look for that thru axel for the front wheel.

I will research the rear.

Anyone have info about the cassette???

Thank you, again.

Joel
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No worries

As for cassette, it really depends on your budget.
    (Weight is about 100-200grams difference.
    If your current set up is 3x10, any 10 speed cassette will be a fit
    If you were to get the same model as your current its going to be around us$40?
    Theres websites like chainrwactioncycles/jensonusa (i use chainreactioncycles as any purchase above $100, free delivery worldwide! Lol cheaper for me in aus)

Do remember!!! if your hub is a 6 bolt, youll need a six bolt rotor.
    Caution shimano hubs come in 2 rotor forms, centerlock and 6 bolt.
    With centerlock, it can be easily fixed with a centerlock to 6 bolt adapter but itll be an extra in cost and weight.
    So save yourself the trouble and get a 6 bolt shimano hub.
    (As you can swap about your rotors with the 2 wheelsets, if needed)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    more great info, thanks again, camel!!!

yes, i am running the stock 3x10 so it is good to hear approx. $40 is what i will need for that part... of course, if i find a pretty color that is okay on price i might do that - lol.

i have purchased from jensonusa once

i will take a good look at the hub, too.

thank you, again.

joel

mtbr member
    Just figured I'd add my two cents. I have a 2011 EX8 26" and a 2012 Superfly AL Elite 29". Obviously these bikes are meant for two different types of riding, but they are both great singletrack bikes. The 29er is of course an overall faster bike, and is a much better climber. However, I use the Fuel way more often. It is just more fun to me, and is a blast when pointing down.

Can't speak towards the 29 Fuel EX, as I'd imagine it would be a really fun bike, but the 26er is great fun and is a fantastic bike. The Fuel EX 26 is one of the highest rated singletrack bikes and has won or been runner up in a few bike of year awards. I have thought of getting an Athem X 29er in the next year or two, but I'm most likely just gonna get another Fuel EX 26er.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallejo View Post
    Just figured I'd add my two cents. I have a 2011 EX8 26" and a 2012 Superfly AL Elite 29". Obviously these bikes are meant for two different types of riding, but they are both great singletrack bikes. The 29er is of course an overall faster bike, and is a much better climber. However, I use the Fuel way more often. It is just more fun to me, and is a blast when pointing down.

Can't speak towards the 29 Fuel EX, as I'd imagine it would be a really fun bike, but the 26er is great fun and is a fantastic bike. The Fuel EX 26 is one of the highest rated singletrack bikes and has won or been runner up in a few bike of year awards. I have thought of getting an Athem X 29er in the next year or two, but I'm most likely just gonna get another Fuel EX 26er.
    Right there with you!!! My HT 29er is fun bike but my Fuel gets 90% of my ride time for the FUN FACTOR...my next bike will be Fuel 26er too. Riding Ex 7 right now so probably upgrade to Ex 9 and give my 7 to my son. Hopefully Trek keeps 26ers around because they're just so damn fun to ride. Happy trails

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    For starters, the 26er will not be obsolete, and the 26er fuel is an absolute blast! Especially the newer ones '12+. 26er vs 29er will be your personal preference. So ride both and see if its worth it to you.

No. Getting rid of these wheels was the one of the best things I have done on my Fuel (seat dropper is up there too ). I put on a wtb wheelset on my bike recently and its really stepped up performance. They are lighter, stiffer, tougher.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrotyro View Post
    For starters, the 26er will not be obsolete, and the 26er fuel is an absolute blast! Especially the newer ones '12+. 26er vs 29er will be your personal preference. So ride both and see if its worth it to you.

Yep, I think you're right. Looking at the high end "boutique" brands, there are plenty of FS 26ers (130mm+)still around, but they are meant for trail, single-track and DH mostly. XC is now dominated by 29ers!

Zaf
    mtbr member
    No. Getting rid of these wheels was the one of the best things I have done on my Fuel (seat dropper is up there too ). I put on a wtb wheelset on my bike recently and its really stepped up performance. They are lighter, stiffer, tougher.
    Just out of curiosity, which WTB wheelset in particular are you going with? And which Fuel EX are you riding?
    Also, just to bring the context back, my original comment was that the Rythm Elite's are better than the Duster's that come on the EX 8, and that given the Tour discounts on the 26" Fuel EX's you get AMAZING value on the EX9 and it's well worth paying for, wheelset included.

Dropper post, Full XT kit with Ice Tech, Kashima coating, shocks and fork for go from Evolution series to Factory/Performance and FiT dampers rather than CTD.

For the $3400 price tag, there's nothing but regret in NOT getting one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sorry, I did miss the point there... The wheels on my bike was something that had bugged me pretty badly, so I was excited to share haha.

I got frequency i23 rims laced to wtb hubs on my '12 fuel ex 9.8. They are awesome.

I do agree however that the rhythm wheels are an upgrade from the dusters. We have 2 other fuel ex 8s in the family and those things are not great. About to upgrade one of them to the same wheelset to lose some weight and stiffen up the ride!

But I agree with you overall, go with the 9!!!

Just out of curiosity, which WTB wheelset in particular are you going with? And which Fuel EX are you riding?
    Also, just to bring the context back, my original comment was that the Rythm Elite's are better than the Duster's that come on the EX 8, and that given the Tour discounts on the 26" Fuel EX's you get AMAZING value on the EX9 and it's well worth paying for, wheelset included.

Dropper post, Full XT kit with Ice Tech, Kashima coating, shocks and fork for go from Evolution series to Factory/Performance and FiT dampers rather than CTD.

For the $3400 price tag, there's nothing but regret in NOT getting one.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sorry, I did miss the point there... The wheels on my bike was something that had bugged me pretty badly, so I was excited to share haha.

I got frequency i23 rims laced wto wtb hubs on my '12 fuel ex 9.8. They are awesome.

I do agree however that the rhythm wheels are an upgrade from the dusters. We have 2 other fuel ex 8s in the family and those things are not great. About to upgrade one of them to the same wheelset to lose some weight and stiffen up the ride!

But I agree with you overall, go with the 9!!!
    Froms reviews ive read the the duster rim is a beefier model of the rhythm and heavier. Hub wise i wouldnt know but they are both formula made hubs with 24 poe.

But ill go for the fuel ex 9. As it comes with a dropper and XT parts.
    Kashima coat for the front is a plus.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I do not know what hubs they are running with the dusters these days, but the two we have use a basic shimano hub... no bueno.

I think you are making a good choice with the 9. Give the wheels a shot, and if you really dont like them you can upgrade them in the future and have a really awesome bike

Quote Originally Posted by camelunderwear View Post
    Froms reviews ive read the the duster rim is a beefier model of the rhythm and heavier. Hub wise i wouldnt know but they are both formula made hubs with 24 poe.

But ill go for the fuel ex 9. As it comes with a dropper and XT parts.
    Kashima coat for the front is a plus.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    I'd bloody well hoped you felt an upgrade going to i23's!!!

Maybe I over stated it a little saying they're a wheelset worth switching to. My Rhythm Elites have been hassle free, they give my tyres a great footprint, they set up tubeless easily, they're stiff and light. I've not had any issues with them, which is exactly how a wheelset should be, you throw them on and forget about them. I'll do what I did with my Superfly's wheels with them, ride the living **** out of them until they fail, then buy a new set.

Just so happens that a year later, still on the same wheels, they only needed a slight true once, I've been genuinely impressed by them.

That said, I will admit to looking at getting a pair of Hope hubs with some ZTR Flow's laced to them as an upgrade, but that's more just because they're an amazingly good price than out of necessity.