Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

2013 Trek Fuel EX 26ers Speak Up

Hi.

My LBS has a '13 Trek Fuel EX8 and is willing to deal on it. I'm not sure if that's because the 29ers Fuels just came out. I test rode it and it's a really nice bike with great components. He would need to order me a 18.5 because the 19.5 I rode was a bit big for my 5'9" frame. Do you think I should go with the 26er ($375 discount off MSRP) or should I just save up and just get a Fuel 8 29er. I am still considering a 2012 Anthem X 29er 2 that was discounted to only $1700, but after riding the Fuel, I can appreciate its much better components. I'm also concerned that 26" FS bikes might be obsolete in a couple of years. What do you think?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i have a '13 fuel 7.

i bought it earlier this year from the trek store here locally and it was on 'sale'.

reading through the forum you would think the 26" wheel size is going away!

being replaced by the 27" and 29"... i think the 26" has life it in still

i am not a very good technical rider and am still learning.

but i do know that i do not want to be much higher than i already am.

that may change as i progress but i have not ridden either a 27" or 29" bike.

also, i am approx. 5'10" and my fuel 7 is listed at 17.5 and virtually 18.5 ( i think ) and i think i should have gone down a lil more.

good luck and post up a pic of whatever you get!!!

joel

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    13 Fuel ex 7 and loving it! 19.5 size....you will enjoy that 26er if you buy it. Nothing wrong with that wheel size. I also have 29er HT but my Fuel gets most of my ride time.
    JUST DO IT

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    One more thing...Fuel bikes have great reviews and positive feedback. I did my research for couple months before buying and now i'm drinking the KOOL AID ...bike is lighting quick too! All this talk about 26ers going away is hilarious. Happy Trails
    JUST DO IT

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks, the specs on the 2013 EX8 really are outstanding. Trek also made quite a few updates over the 2012 model. It really wouldn't make sense for them to drop this bike anytime soon.

Fuel EX 8 - Trek Bicycle

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

2013 Trek Fuel EX 26ers Speak Up

I had originally picked up '12 fuel 6.

I rode it about a month and then brought it back.

Trek does not have refund policy... Rather, there are no returns / refunds but you can trade up within a month.

So, I did that and got the '13 fuel 7

Just paid the difference.

I used Trek's credit card to take advantage of the no interest for 12 months.

Joel
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    LOL gotta love that Trek credit card almost pulled the trigger on the new Fuel 29 Ex 7 but wanted to have a 26er to add to my stable...maybe in a 2 or 3 years i'll purchase Fuel 29er or the next BIG THING...hard to keep up with the MTB market
    JUST DO IT

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    I prefer the new Fuel EX 29er, but if the deal is the correct price, then I'd say go for it. If you like the bike, buy it.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    Check out Pinkbike's take on the various wheel sizes:

Opinion: 26 vs 27.5 vs 29-inch Wheels - Pinkbike

It all comes down to what you're looking for. Fastest lap time, lower difficulty; go for a 29er. Biggest smile on your face at the end of the day; 26er with the win.

Personally, I'm looking to get a 2013 EX8 (26er) within the next few months.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the link!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    26" forever! no wagon wheel (29er) bike for me! 19 years riding 26er still have fun! that's what it's all about!

mtbr member
    I totally agree!! I just bought a brand new 2012 Fuel EX 9.9.. I love this bike!!! I demoed a few 29ers and I don't see the appeal? There heavy bikes and you can't whip them around like a 26er. The 9.9 I had my eye on for a long time and finally pulled the trigger.. I couldn't be happier the bike is hands down Amazing to ride.. Now if it would only stop raining..

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I don't really whip my bike around the trails. I just like to move along the trail and get a good workout. Unfortunately here in CT we only have trails full of rock gardens. I am wondering if a 29’ner will help smooth out the trail for me and my back? I am 6’2 so perhaps the 29’ner will fit better. I have tried both and I get used to either size very quickly once I get going.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_m View Post
    I don't really whip my bike around the trails. I just like to move along the trail and get a good workout. Unfortunately here in CT we only have trails full of rock gardens. I am wondering if a 29’ner will help smooth out the trail for me and my back? I am 6’2 so perhaps the 29’ner will fit better. I have tried both and I get used to either size very quickly once I get going.
    If I was 6'2 I would definitely go with a 29er. I'm 5'9" and unless I can get a great deal on a 26fs, I will go 29er myself.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Yes, a 29er will roll over rocks easier, and as for comfort, a 29er full suspension would be key.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    What bike are you riding now?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek13 View Post
    What bike are you riding now?
    Trek 4900, 26" HT for about the last 11 years.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Trek 4900, 26" HT for about the last 11 years.
    I think you'd be amazed at the difference between a HT and a FS 29er or a 26 FS with 5" of travel. Personally, from just testing all the bikes I have, on only street/potholes and curb jumping, I can tell the difference between a HT 29er or HT 26er. Much less comfy for sure. I do; however; find it more difficult to tell the difference between a 29er with 4" of FS vs a 26er with 5" of FS though. This may be why all the major manufactures only have high end components on 26ers with 5" (120mm) plus travel now.
    Last edited by Trek13; 06-27-2013 at 07:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I rode 29er HT for a year and got deal on FS (26er) and let's just say I don't ride my 29HT anymore It's so alive on the trail and plush....probably will only ride my 29er around the block and some local paved bike paths. Fuel 26 or 29 great choice
    JUST DO IT

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan1113 View Post
    I rode 29er HT for a year and got deal on FS (26er) and let's just say I don't ride my 29HT anymore It's so alive on the trail and plush....probably will only ride my 29er around the block and some local paved bike paths. Fuel 26 or 29 great choice
    Yep, found out Trek sales don't start until 7/15, that's what my LBS said anyway. I can wait. Also, took out a 13 Trek Rumblefish (standard model) and the Fuel EX 29er 7. I actually preferred the Rumblefish, but that may have been because it was the right size. The Fuel was an inch too big and I felt stretched out way too far. Brakes, suspension and other components were too close to call.

Wish I could find a Giant Trance 29er 3 to compare. Price is less but specs are a little lower also.

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    I've spent time on the 2013 ex8. It is a fantastic bike. Don't worry about wheel size.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    From the 29th of June to the 24th of July Trek has a sale going on most of their 2013 range.

Trek Fuel EX 9 for $3,199 is a big note there, $800 off. That's an AMAZING deal!!!
    Fuel EX 8 for $2,399, etc.

Worth looking at, if you were punching at EX 8 previously, find the money to throw your leg over the EX9 because they're a great bike with an amazing kit on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaf View Post
    From the 29th of June to the 24th of July Trek has a sale going on most of their 2013 range.

Trek Fuel EX 9 for $3,199 is a big note there, $800 off. That's an AMAZING deal!!!
    Fuel EX 8 for $2,399, etc.

Worth looking at, if you were punching at EX 8 previously, find the money to throw your leg over the EX9 because they're a great bike with an amazing kit on it.
    Thanks, I thought the EX 8 had amazing specs, let me take a look at the 9. I also got confirmation from Dan Ajer, Inside Sales Rep for Trek, that these sales are going on now through all authorized dealers and to call him if they said that they were not participating.

I'm also considering renting a FS Specialized Camber Comp for a week for $180. If I then buy any mountain bike from them they put that money towards the new bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Damn i should have waited couple months lol...oh well loving my Fuel 7!!!
    JUST DO IT

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek13 View Post
    Thanks, I thought the EX 8 had amazing specs, let me take a look at the 9. I also got confirmation from Dan Ajer, Inside Sales Rep for Trek, that these sales are going on now through all authorized dealers and to call him if they said that they were not participating.

I'm also considering renting a FS Specialized Camber Comp for a week for $180. If I then buy any mountain bike from them they put that money towards the new bike.
    It does have a great spec, but the EX 9 gets some really nice upgrades. Dropper post, Rythm Elite wheels, full XT kit, Kashima coated forks, face meltingly sexy paintjob. At the price it is at the moment, you CANNOT beat it from a price for the kit perspective.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast