mtbr member
    Aug 2012

2013 Trek 4500 vs 2013 Trek Mamba

Hi guys,

Over the past two weeks I've been looking into getting an entry level bike for a bit of off-road riding. I've got a budget of around $1000(au) and won't really be doing anything crazy on the bike, just a bit of riding for fun and fitness.
    I looked at and rode a few Giant Talon's, Cannondale Trail SL's and Trek 4500 and Mamba's. Of the lot I really liked the two Treks. The main difference for me between these two bikes are the wheel sizes. In terms of components, is there much difference between the two? Being a novice, I don't really know the difference between certain component models - does anyone know which has the better components?
    From what I've been told the Mamba has the better forks and the 4500 has the better brakes - but then again I couldn't really feel this for myself doing a flat road test. I'm leaning towards the 26er as it felt a bit better for me but if anyone can help with the component differences, that would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Chris

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hi Chris!
    Well, between the 26er 4500 and the 29er Mamba, i'd definitely get the Mamba.
    here's why:

4500 & Mamba's drivetrain is identical, the rest of the parts are more or less at the same level (saddle, handlebar, stem, Headset, brakes) but the fork & geometry (very important) aren't.

While the 4500 has a standard geometry and SR Suntour fork, the Mamba has a better Rockshox fork along with the better G2 geometry that is great.

I think the Mamba will be the right chice just because it's gonna do everything better and with more confidence: roll over obstacles (29 wheels are bigger so it's easier) ,Climb & descend (29 wheels = more traction), keep a better momentum, and more forgiving in terms of mistakes you might do as a novice rider. So, my warm recommendation for a novice rider like you would be a 29er HT = Mamba.

Please read what BIKERADAR thought of the Mamba last May:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/ar...30433according to BIKERADAR review, the Mamba has the best frame & fork combination of all sub $1,000 US.

Mamba's price is $999 AU, not more than your budget..

I hope that helps you. Mo.
    Last edited by mo6500; 08-20-2012 at 03:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    ThanKs for your reply. Ive read about the advantages of the 29ers in comparison to 26ers and it sounds good and it's hard to argue against that. Thiugh when I tested both bikes, I sort of liked the feel of the 26, maybe because I'm shorter? I'm still doing my research and trying to figure out what would be best. I also called around and found a Trek dealer doing the 2012 6300 at $500 off retail - I'm assuming this is so they can clear out the 2012 bikes and make room for the 2013's.

FRAME
    Alpha Gold Aluminum with semi-integrated head tube, formed down tube with integrated gusset, formed top tube, monostay seatstay, forged dropouts with rack & fender mounts, replaceable derailleur hanger.

FORK
    RockShox Recon Silver TK Solo Air, remote lockout, rebound, alloy steerer, 100mm travel.

GEARS
    Shimano Deore M591, 30 speed gears.

WHEELS
    Shimano M525 alloy hubs; Bontrager AT-850 disc 32-hole rims.

BRAKES
    Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brakes.

SIZES
    15.5, 17.5, 18.5, 19.5".

COLOURS
    White/Silver/Red or Green/Black.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    No 6,8 & 9 series bikes on Trek's US line up for 2013.

If you look at this link:
    Mountain - Bike models - Trek Bicycle
    you could tell the same for 2013 Trek Australia line up - no 26 HT higher than 4 series.

So it looks like they're trying to make room for 29ers by nice clearance price for 2012 26er HT.

Did you try the 15.5" Mamba size? It's shold be fine for the shorter riders

If you're not getting along with tha Mamba and your dilemma is between 4500 & 6300 - I'd buy the 6300. But, If the dilemma is between Mamba & 6300 - I'd still buy the Mamba, for the exact reasons I mentioned before.

Good luck! Mo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks Mo.
    I guess it will be between the 6300 and the Mamba now. I'll go to the Trek store for a chat and get fitted for the right size frame. Once that happens i'll take em for a quick ride and decide on what feels best. I think i'll be happy with either as long as the fit is right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The dilemma ended up being between 26er hardtail and 26er full suspension.
    The Fuel EX 5 came out on top As a 2012 model i got it for a really good price and should have it early next week.
    Since the commute i plan to use the bike for is fairly short, i thought i'd look at something more suited to offroad. I also thought it'd be a good idea to get something a little decent to start off with to avoid me wanting an upgrade in the near future.