Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Benread View Post
    Here's a photo, looks awesome in real life, only thing changed at the moment is the XTR shadow plus rear mech.
    M or L? Do you have a weight?

DaFaJa
    I just left my LBS and they just sold two of these to the same guy..Beautiful Bikes...
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My 17.5 came in 9.76 stock but thats on a kind of doggy park tool scale, I'm weighing it again tomorrow but that will be with the XTR shadow plus rear mech, XT race pedals and a RXL carbon bottle cage...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

2013 superfly sl

Hey Ben, what wheelset is that? RXL, or RL?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    Hey Ben, what wheelset is that? RXL, or RL?
    The bike comes stock with a RL wheel set, which Bontrager quote on there website the RL' to be 1640 grams, This is the part of the bike I feel I could drop the most weight from, so when I can I will probably build up Set of FRM Urano Wheels and hopefully drop around 260 grams.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by evilsjg View Post
    Ham Radio operators write Feb/27/2013 or 27/Feb/2013.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Benread View Post
    ... so when I can I will probably build up Set of FRM Urano Wheels and hopefully drop around 260 grams.
    Could you point me to more info on this wheelset?

I found this but it is in Italian:
    Ruote : URANO XC TEAM 29"
    The Bing translator works suprisingly well though.

The price is equivalnt to the Bonty RXL, and it is lighter. They have the off-center spoke bed which makes sense to me.

Where do you get them? They do not list a US distributor. Have you found any reviews or had any experience with them?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    Could you point me to more info on this wheelset?

I found this but it is in Italian:
    Ruote : URANO XC TEAM 29"
    The Bing translator works suprisingly well though.

The price is equivalnt to the Bonty RXL, and it is lighter. They have the off-center spoke bed which makes sense to me.

Where do you get them? They do not list a US distributor. Have you found any reviews or had any experience with them?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Dennis, I'm in Australia, and all the guys at my local bike shop use them, haven't heard of any one having any problems with them, and they are about the same weight and price of the Stans race gold, yet a lot stronger, however they aren't unbreakable, and I was going to use them as a race wheel, and still do most riding on the RL's... The three main contenders I c n really think off for light XC wheels in my mind are Enve, Stans and FRM, Enve are ridiculously expensive, Stans fold so this leaves FRM... And since I haven't heard any thing bad about them I am going to give them a shot. As for information about them, There isn't much out there apart from a 2013 product catalog to download
    The 2013 Product catalog states The following,
    "URANO XC TEAM Tubeless Ready 29
    OPTIONS lefty XX1
    • Hubs and rims are made in Italy
    • Not for sale in the USA
    • Tubeless Ready for standard tyres with Sealant
    • Rims: FRM XMD333 29” at 360gr with eyelets. Welded joint. Black anodised and laser etched
    • Asymmetric profile and steel eyelets allow for up to 130kg of spoke tension
    • Spokes: Sapim Laser 2,0-1,5-2,0, black. Nipples: light alloy, red
    • Hubs: 2013 FRM Urano Super Race, red. Toothed ring in Titanium. Holes: 32 / 32
    • Boltless disc installation. Disc lockrings weigh 12g. each, about the same weight of 12 fixing bolts
    • Supplied with White Tape, Spark valves and 500cc of FRM Sealant
    • Rider weight limit: 85kg
    • Weight: 1.405g. (645+760) White Tape & air valves included
    OPTION: QR15 front hub (15x100mm)
    QR9 front hub with Task Team thru-axle quick release (33g.)
    Lefty front hub
    Cassette for 9/10 speeds or for Sram XX1 11speeds (10-42)
    X-12 rear hub (12x142mm)
    QR10 rear hub (10x135mm) with Task Team thru-axle quick release (45g.)"

Other than that the really isn't much Information available on these wheels, I rode them for the last month while waiting for my Superfly Elite SL, (the were on LBS owners bike..)

The people on the weight weenies forum seem to like them...
    Cheers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ok, thanks for the good info. Too bad they aren't available here.

I am keeping an eye on that new $1200 Specialized carbon set. Availability is still a problem -- the owner of the local Specialized dealer is still waiting for his -- the factory rep brought by a set for him to ride but would not sell them to him.

I talked to a Trek factory rep at Southeast Bike expo a couple weeks ago who assured me that Trek would have a carbon set for 2014. Then a few days later I see this:
    Bontrager: Race XXX Lite TLR Disc 29 (Model #07936)

That price is per-wheel apparently. Too much for me. Maybe they will be priced competatively with Specialized when they actually become available.
    Bontrager: Products > Components > Wheels

I rode someone else's Superfly AL Elite (same as mine) with an I9 set. That was great too.

I just ride for the fun of it, so am in no hurry. It will be interested to see what technology does for us or to us in the next couple years

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Finished building up my Superfly Elite SL last night. Amazingly cool bike in person. And super light at 21.5 lbs complete (w/ pedals, cage, computer mount, etc)!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tswp View Post
    Finished building up my Superfly Elite SL last night. Amazingly cool bike in person. And super light at 21.5 lbs complete (w/ pedals, cage, computer mount, etc)!
    Really nice! Small or Medium frame and how tall are you?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Scalfred View Post
    Really nice! Small or Medium frame and how tall are you?
    It is a size 17.5" (medium) and I am 5'8" tall.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tswp View Post
    It is a size 17.5" (medium) and I am 5'8" tall.
    Interesting... I'm 5'6-5'7 and really wondering if I'd need a S or M size. You don't seem to use a very short stem on the picture. 100 or 110mm I guess with spacers below.

Is your riding position all set on the photo?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Scalfred View Post
    Interesting... I'm 5'6-5'7 and really wondering if I'd need a S or M size. You don't seem to use a very short stem on the picture. 100 or 110mm I guess with spacers below.

Is your riding position all set on the photo?
    My riding position is set in that photo.
    100mm stem with 15mm of spacers below, 5mm offset seatpost. The seatpost is right at the minimum insertion line.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    do you mean seatpost is at maximum insertion line ?
    live to ride ride to live

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well, I had my first race this weekend on the new SF100. 50 miles of technical and rugged racing in southern utah (True Grit 50). The bike handled great. It responded well, didn't drag on the technical ascents (in propedal), and it provided just enough forgiveness to keep me relatively comfortable. I still have a little to do to dial in the suspension.

I did have one problem. The pivot bolt attaching the rear shock, came loose twice during the race. I torqued all bolts to spec when I got the bike a few weeks ago, but it looked like the threadlock (blue) was dry and of no use. Hopefully it is not a problem in the future, but something to keep an eye on.

It's definitely a full suspension racer. Thumbs up.

Here's the bike. An XL weighing in at 21 lbs 2 oz with pedals and cage. Roval control sl wheels, XX1 drivetrain, and a couple other changes.

2013 superfly sl-212.jpg2013 superfly sl-sf100.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jthops View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	212.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	782094Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SF100.JPG 
Views:	288 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	782095
    Man that bike looks Sweet!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jthops View Post
    Well, I had my first race this weekend on the new SF100. 50 miles of technical and rugged racing in southern utah (True Grit 50). The bike handled great. It responded well, didn't drag on the technical ascents (in propedal), and it provided just enough forgiveness to keep me relatively comfortable. I still have a little to do to dial in the suspension.

I did have one problem. The pivot bolt attaching the rear shock, came loose twice during the race. I torqued all bolts to spec when I got the bike a few weeks ago, but it looked like the threadlock (blue) was dry and of no use. Hopefully it is not a problem in the future, but something to keep an eye on.

It's definitely a full suspension racer. Thumbs up.

Here's the bike. An XL weighing in at 21 lbs 2 oz with pedals and cage. Roval control sl wheels, XX1 drivetrain, and a couple other changes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	212.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	782094Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SF100.JPG 
Views:	288 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	782095
    What seat post came stock on the Pro SL, (length, diameter, setback etc...)?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Bontrager XXX - 400mm, 31.6, 5mm setback

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How are people liking the new Superfly HT's?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFCuddy View Post
    How are people liking the new Superfly HT's?
    I bought a 17.5 Trek Super Fly Elite SL in March (I think), Since then I have ridden the bike well over 2000km of single track, it’s held up very well, a couple of creaks from the frame but that was solved buy regreasing the Thru-axels, Headset and Bottom bracket and replacing the Bottom bracket.

I’ve changed
    • Enve 400 mm 27.2 mm 20 mm setback Seatpost
    • Bontrager RXL -17 degree stem 100 mm
    • Bontrager RXL Carbon Railed Saddle
    • Shimano XTR Shadow + Rear Mech
    • Shimano XTR 10spd Chain
    • Shimano XT race pedals
    • FRM Urano XC wheelset (tubeless)
    • Rubena Scyalla (Greyline front, Standard rear)
    Waiting On
    • Shimano XTR Race 40-28t Crankset
    • Shimano XTR Race Brakeset
    • Kashima Stanchions

The Bike now weighs about 9.4 KG and is an absolute race weapon! Love it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Rode one at a factory demo. Fantastic bike.

Do you know what it weighed before your upgrades per chance?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How is the ride? It seems like with the skinny seat stays and a carbon post it would be compliant for a hard tail. Can anyone compare the ride to a Cannondale Flash, Scott Scale, etc.?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Stock my 17.5 was around 9.8 I believe.

It is compliant yet efficient, Especially with my after market Enve post, The thin seat stays combined with the seat post, really takes the harshness out of a usual painful in saddle pedaling of a hardtail, If you wanted to go even more compliant then a titanium rail seat would be the best option but a carbon railed RXL was good enough for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Cool on the weight savings. Too bad those FRM wheels aren't available in the USA.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast