Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I just picked up a 21" (did not pre-order). They also have a 17.5" in stock on the shelf.

For what its worth, the bike weighed 24lb 3oz with tubes/reflectors/dork disc but no pedals. After going tubeless, adding XTR pedals, and removing reflectors it came in at 24lb 14oz. Everything stock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What shop did you get it from?

Quote Originally Posted by transientgolf View Post
    I just picked up a 21" (did not pre-order). They also have a 17.5" in stock on the shelf.

For what its worth, the bike weighed 24lb 3oz with tubes/reflectors/dork disc but no pedals. After going tubeless, adding XTR pedals, and removing reflectors it came in at 24lb 14oz. Everything stock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I heard that my local shop (rushmorebikes.com) had some 17.5's show up ... but not my 19" yet.

J79
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Question for the guys who already have the bike.

If Im not mistaking the seatpost is an aluminum model, what is the exact diameter?
    Found a carbon model on sale, 31.6mm and 400mm length.

Maybe buying some nice parts to upgrade the bike can ease the agony of waiting another five months for the bike to arrive
    Last edited by J79; 01-15-2013 at 03:56 AM. Reason: corrected some typing errors

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by J79 View Post
    Question for the guys who already have the bike.

If Im not mistaking the seatpost is an aluminum model, what is the exact diameter?
    Found a carbon model on sale, 31.6mm and 400mm length.

Maybe buying some nice parts to upgrade the bike can ease the agony of waiting another five months for the bike to arrive
    I don't have one but Trek's website says that's it's a 31.6 mm post. What "deal" did you find?

"Bontrager Rhythm Elite, 31.6mm, zero offset"

J79
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Youre right, should have looked at the Trek site.

a local dealer is offering the Bontrager xxx carbon seatpost for 140

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I purchased a Hylix Carbon post off ebay, a clone of the xxx. Buy it now is $58 CAD, I won mine for $52. I've also seen clone xxx posts that carry the actual name on there as well as a one with Ritchey Superlogic stickers. I went with the Hylix because, the seller claims a two year warranty, it's the only one I saw on there that wasn't trying to pass it off as an original. I have it now, it looks good, holds a seat. I don't have an actual xxx to compare it to and I don't (yet) have a gram scale to weight it. At a third of the cost, I figured it's worth a try. I don't think I would buy a handlebar with the same logic, but a seat post, why not! When my SuperFly 100 SL arrives, sometime before Christmas 2013, I'll report back how it works/holds out. Though I suspect you don't want to wait until then!

Take your pick...

Hylix Carbon Zero Seatpost-31.6-400MM-192g-for Road&MTB bike | eBay

Bontrager Race XXX Lite carbon seatpost MTB seatpost road bike 31.6mm 220g | eBay

Free Shipping High qulity Bontrager Race XXX Lite carbon seatpost MTB seatpost road bike seatpost 27.2/31.6*400MM-in Bicycle Seat Post from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com

R1TCHEY superlogic full carbon fibre UD bicycle MTB seatpost 31.6/27.2*400mm-in Bicycle Seat Post from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com
    Last edited by Mr.Grumpy; 01-18-2013 at 01:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    can we get some pics from the shops that got some in ?
    live to ride ride to live

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I think they are a myth!! Would love to see more pics myself!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    live to ride ride to live

mtbr member
    Current bikes:

2014 Framed Minnesota 2.0 Fatbike
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper

J79
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    So the myth seems to be real! Only four more months....

J79
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    is it just me, or does the bike in the youtube video have a different frame?

When I look at the seat tube in the youtube video, there seems to be a triangle where the seat tube meets the top tube.
    The bike in the Cycling Dirt article, and pictures posted in this thread and Trek website, show a solid corner at the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just noticed that as well I'm not a fan of the look of the one on the video with the extra triangle. Doesn't match the picture posted from December on page 2 either nor the pics posted in the 29er thread of a pro model as well. I surely hope the elite isnt different or maybe that's just the EU model

J79
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blazinb View Post
    I just noticed that as well I'm not a fan of the look of the one on the video with the extra triangle. Doesn't match the picture posted from December on page 2 either nor the pics posted in the 29er thread of a pro model as well. I surely hope the elite isnt different or maybe that's just the EU model
    Noooo!

It may be related to bike size.

Cycling dirt mentions they have a large, 19"?, frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Some new info

Usually the larger frames have some sort of extra stabilization. I've seen it come and go on the carbon frames.

As far as my order. I have spoken with my shop about how I thought it was weird that Trek was shipping bikes to store with pre orders in stead of shops with customer per orders especially after slow production and delays. The store trek rep was kind enough to ask around to see if the shops would trade "spots" since the bikes are just on display. Obviously nobody was willing to do that which I understand. I was told of my spot on the list and that only 5 bikes a month (possibly just my size and in the US) were being produced per month at this point. This means for those of us that ordered, you may be twentieth in line but the wait will be awhile. Being that this is a totally new frame that is now being produced offshore, they want to get it right. Quality vs quantity at this point.

I am a stickler for the facts and trust my shop very much so I guess I just have to wait it out like the rest of you except I am at about eight weeks out I am a little more than 60% there.

So, they're coming...

mtbr member
    Coming, but too slowly for me. I cancelled my Superfly 100 elite order and I'm building a Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon with XX1 components all for the same price.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I still have the Superfly 100 Elite SL on order but I am a bit disappointed that for $5500 the bike is not speced with the remote lockout that fox has available. To get this upgrade from Fox it's expensive for the fork and unavailable for the rear.

I would have to say that if I had a local Scot Dealer I would seriously look into the Spark 910. This bike is the same basic component spec at XT but with the remote lockouts and a cheaper list price by about $500.

J79
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Only five bike frames a month, that won`t speed up the process...

My dealer told me he is trying to switch my spot as well, as I know him he is not just saying that. He normaly is quite reliable when he makes a promise. That is why I havent cancelled yet.
    I am willing to wait it out, but the bike has to be here before May.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have a hard time believing the "5frames a month" thing. What modern assembly line runs that slow?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

J79
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    I have a hard time believing the "5frames a month" thing. What modern assembly line runs that slow?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    60 per year, $5000,- per bike, minus shipping, LBS margin and R&D, looks like Trek is not making a profit here...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The bike in the video is a XXL (23"). What does the XL look like? Wonder if it has that extra triangle. The XXL definitely does not look as sleek as a M or L...

Quote Originally Posted by J79 View Post
    is it just me, or does the bike in the youtube video have a different frame?

When I look at the seat tube in the youtube video, there seems to be a triangle where the seat tube meets the top tube.
    The bike in the Cycling Dirt article, and pictures posted in this thread and Trek website, show a solid corner at the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

as stated

I mentioned the five frames per month. This is not for the whole year because we have no idea how many store pre orders went out. This number may also be related to my size and country or region and model...meaning that five bikes in every size per style (sl pro, elite, sl) per month per country is alot of frames per month. One could assume since I have no hard data to back it up that (4) sizes times (3) styles times (5) frames times (+10) regions could mean 600 bikes a month or more. Maybe Im far below or far too high. We really have no idea. I just know that I am number 10-15 in my size and region. My size is probably the most popular since there are other shops that seem to have larger sizes as open stock.

Laying up the specific patterns for an oclv bike is not exactly an assembly line process and is fairly specialized work. Although it is made oversees, it isnt quite as easy to build as a "China" frame. The new frame design coupled with a move to a new manufacturing country of origin means that it will be a slow rollout of a frame design that will be built with more efficiency as time passes. It will be around in this basic shape for probably four more years.

And as far as any economics go, you may or may not be aware that in every new product the marginal cost of production is higher than the sales price until an equilibrium is met and then passed into the profit zone. This bike probably cost over a million dollars to produce the first one and although they are expensive, they are not quite covering that cost yet. I am personally very happy being part of an elite club with warranty like no other. I have ridden ONLY Trek since '91 for a reason. They always take care of me even when I am being a stickler for perfection, something we all know does not exist in the dirty abusive world of mountain biking. I know this wait will be well worth it! I waited years for the Big front axles on this bike and knew it would a long wait since I deal with a shop that seems smarter versus more speculative. This couple with how well they treat me, I could not be happier with my decision.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sorry this also posted above.

I mentioned the five frames per month. This is not for the whole year because we have no idea how many store pre orders went out. This number may also be related to my size and country or region and model...meaning that five bikes in every size per style (sl pro, elite, sl) per month per country is alot of frames per month. One could assume since I have no hard data to back it up that (4) sizes times (3) styles times (5) frames times (+10) regions could mean 600 bikes a month or more. Maybe Im far below or far too high. We really have no idea. I just know that I am number 10-15 in my size and region. My size is probably the most popular since there are other shops that seem to have larger sizes as open stock.

Laying up the specific patterns for an oclv bike is not exactly an assembly line process and is fairly specialized work. Although it is made oversees, it isnt quite as easy to build as a "China" frame. The new frame design coupled with a move to a new manufacturing country of origin means that it will be a slow rollout of a frame design that will be built with more efficiency as time passes. It will be around in this basic shape for probably four more years.

And as far as any economics go, you may or may not be aware that in every new product the marginal cost of production is higher than the sales price until an equilibrium is met and then passed into the profit zone. This bike probably cost over a million dollars to produce the first one and although they are expensive, they are not quite covering that cost yet. I am personally very happy being part of an elite club with warranty like no other. I have ridden ONLY Trek since '91 for a reason. They always take care of me even when I am being a stickler for perfection, something we all know does not exist in the dirty abusive world of mountain biking. I know this wait will be well worth it! I waited years for the Big front axles on this bike and knew it would a long wait since I deal with a shop that seems smarter versus more speculative. This couple with how well they treat me, I could not be happier with my decision.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The XL has the triangle. I will post a picture tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFCuddy View Post
    The bike in the video is a XXL (23"). What does the XL look like? Wonder if it has that extra triangle. The XXL definitely does not look as sleek as a M or L...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast