mtbr member
    Mar 2013

2013 Superfly 100 AL - SoCal trails and scoliosis, can it be plush enough?

Greetings

Demoed 2013 Superfly 100 AL yesterday, sag was at 25%.

Been out of the saddle for over 10 years, was on a HTbefore, never been on a 29er before either.

Wow, did it feel great, just seemed to fit.

I read about 29er's being slow to get going or having slow handling, that was not my impression at all. In middle/middle (3x10), just seemed to squirt forward.

The only thing giving me pause is my back.

Way back when on my HT, anything I could take with my legs was not a problem. The issue was the little stuff like washboards. Felt like a jackhammer going thru my spine, just took the fun out of it.

During my parking lot demo, all I had to play with was curbs. Going up was fine, coming off curbs did not feel much different than my old HT.

What I am wondering is if this is just the nature of a SF100 or if tuning, breaking in the shock, tire pressure etc., can make it better or if I need to move on and look at an Anthem or Devinci Atlas.

btw, this is the base model with the Monarch RL. Not into fiddling with the CTD, just want to set and forget and ride

tia

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The sf 100 does not have much suspension travel and is built around a faster cross country style of riding. You need something less aggressive IMO.

You may want to look at the rumblefish for more travel and a "cushier" design. You will retain the 29r option.

Ive seen alot of people pushed toward superfly bikes because they are really awesome but not what everyone needs.

Sure the Rumblefish might be a little heavier and slower but speed is up to you and your tires and weight can be shed. Suspension can not be added while keeping the warranty in tact.