Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2013 rumblefish

108K views 557 replies 76 participants last post by  Blind 
#1 ·
I have yet to be able to see one in person and was wondering if anyone has any pictures besides the stock website picture? Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#483 ·
question for the RUMBLEFISH PRO owners.. did you get the BLEED KIT for your REVERB SEATPOST when you got your bike?

my REVERB post was replaced under warranty, and saw the replacement in a box and came in with a bleed kit... i asked the LBS if i could have the BLEED KIT just in case i need to bleed the post in the future which seems like a likely occurrence and they have said they can't give me the BLEED KIT because it did not come with the bike when i purchased it..

really does not make sense to me, but before i send an email out, just wanted to make sure if its a CASE-TO-CASE basis or the BLEED KIT should have been sent out with the bike..

thanks.

#485 ·
yup $34 tight..

but from the LBS standpoint id understand it too... i may just go gung-ho everytime i have/feel that there is something wrong with the seatpost and just BLEED away...since i have a BLEED kit..

but still...$34?

#488 ·
I'm 6'1" with a long upper torso so a 21 is perfect for me.

I just bought my son 5'11" a base model 2013 (they're on clearance sale right now!) and I got him a 21 too, just because it's design provides loads of standover and he's still growing like a weed.

That said, I think you'll be fine on a 19 or a 21

#499 ·
I measured the stem on my 23" before swapping, it was 90mm center to center, swapped for a raceface 60mm and pretty happy with it, might swap to some carbon bars with some rise that are wider next, not sure.

#500 ·
Ive got a Thomson 70 mm stem and a carbon 730mm low rise bar on the way , I wanted a wider bar , but am rolling the dice a bit on the new length of stem , wanting to sharpen up the steering , bit nervous it may feel a bit cramped though.

Am currently running 90mm stem and 690 bar that came with the bike.

#502 ·
Ive got a Thomson 70 mm stem and a carbon 730mm low rise bar on the way , I wanted a wider bar , but am rolling the dice a bit on the new length of stem , wanting to sharpen up the steering , bit nervous it may feel a bit cramped though.

Am currently running 90mm stem and 690 bar that came with the bike.
I switched out to a 70mm Thomson elite x4. Beautiful bit of kit but I didn't like how the bike handled. The front end seemed to wash out too easily and also became too light on the climbs. That's just me though and probably my poor technique.

Still love my fish though.
My changes from stock are:-
750mm rhythm pro bars (only because I got a bargain off eBay)
Fizik Gobi XM kium (awesome saddle for my backside)
ODI grips
XT iSpec conversion (for nice clean bars)
Stan's Flow EX wheels with hope pro 2 evo straight pull hubs (pretty bomb proof and super stiff wheel set, probably could've gone for Arch EX though!)
Shwalbe Hans Dampf tyres (trail star front and pace star rear, amazing grip but would probably advise a nobby Nic on the rear for less rolling resistance)

Bought my fish pro in dec 2013. The reverb was warrantied as it failed on me but no problems since. Just serviced last week and just needed new gear cables. Still a very happy owner!

I fishin love it!

#503 ·
Abp convert nut

my bud just bought a 13' elite for a steal ($1500) and up to now, me and him are wondering how the owner sold it so cheap.

well, till he started to ride it in the trails, we have found minor issues.

brake squeaking which we have fixed by cleaning the brake pads and rotors with alcohol.

now, we noticed the ABP CONVERT NUTS loosening up. i know it has to be torqued to 200 in/lb, i have the torque wrench.

problem is, with how the the ABP NUT is oddly shaped, we are not sure which socket wrench to use.

i know i've read somewhere they have used a 20mm socket wrench but im unable to find that post and am not really sure if it was for a more recent 2013 ABP CONVERT nut... was at homedepot with the ABP CONVERT nut but couldn't find a 20mm socket wrench, but then again as we tested other sized socket wrench, a 19MM and 21MM, and both seemed to small to fit the the ABP CONVERT NUT which now, makes me doubt a 20mm is what im looking for.

any insight, link to the post im looking for would be much appreciated.

thank you in advance

#504 ·
my bud just bought a 13' elite for a steal ($1500) and up to now, me and him are wondering how the owner sold it so cheap.

well, till he started to ride it in the trails, we have found minor issues.

brake squeaking which we have fixed by cleaning the brake pads and rotors with alcohol.

now, we noticed the ABP CONVERT NUTS loosening up. i know it has to be torqued to 200 in/lb, i have the torque wrench.

problem is, with how the the ABP NUT is oddly shaped, we are not sure which socket wrench to use.

i know i've read somewhere they have used a 20mm socket wrench but im unable to find that post and am not really sure if it was for a more recent 2013 ABP CONVERT nut... was at homedepot with the ABP CONVERT nut but couldn't find a 20mm socket wrench, but then again as we tested other sized socket wrench, a 19MM and 21MM, and both seemed to small to fit the the ABP CONVERT NUT which now, makes me doubt a 20mm is what im looking for.

any insight, link to the post im looking for would be much appreciated.

thank you in advance
anybody?

#506 ·
thanks... would you know which size? im still thinking a 20mm is too small? i tried other socket sizes and 15/16 seems to fit.. but not snug. .im just afraid to strip the ABP NUT. .

#508 ·
23Mm wrench non drive side.
20Mm wrench drive side.

A SOCKET will not work. You need a wrench

Honestly, just get an adjustable wrench and just go past hand tight.
thanks.. tried an open wrench and it slipped and stripped outer side of the ABP NUT.. ill just try to cover it with a rag.. thanks again.

#509 ·
A socket will work, but I don't recall if it had to be 12pt or 6pt or either. The rounded parts of the nuts are smaller than the flats. I also thought a socket wouldn't work until I saw it happen in a Trek instructional vid.

#511 ·
I went and rewatched the vid. It doesn't actually show the tech using the sockets, but he explicitly states to use them, twice. I personally used a 20mm socket on a driveside 135 nut. (had to use an adjustable wrench for the 142 nuts as we didn't have a 23mm in the shop) I can't link the vid, but I can post a screen shot.

White Light Product Bicycle part Font

#512 ·
worked on the RF ELITE today and id like to confirm it does take a 23mm SOCKET wrench on both drive and non-drive sides. . .

just in case somebody else comes across this issue.

#514 ·
easier to just replace the big ring with a bash ring and change the middle ring for something like a 36t IMO. Much cheaper too.

I don't see why doing what you want wouldn't work though, I swapped my elite fish's stock crankset for an SLX M660-10 crankset re-using the stock BB and spacer setup.

#517 ·
I'm afraid to say I'm thinking of selling my 2013 Rumblefish. I genuinely don't know how much to ask for it tho. What would you good people ask if you were going to sell yours? It's been looked after reasonably well, always cleaned after rides, but probably could've had more professional servicing (complete strip downs etc)

#519 ·
I have a 2012 Rumblefish Elite that has gone through quite a few changes. I went with Ergon grips paired with a flat carbon Niner bar, a 70mm stem, I found a takeoff ($500) 2013 Fox Talas 110-140 34 that I upgraded to the 2014 Fit CTD cartdidge. This totally transormed the performance of the bike! I found that I needed to upgrade the rear rotor to a 180mm rotor as I cooked the stock rotor on the CO Front Range trails.

I found a Crank Bros dropper post that has worked great for $100. I run a Butcher 2.4 up front and Ikon 2.0 out back. The stem felt too cramped so I went back to the stock 90mm.

The bike is solid but my mods have added a couple pounds that I would like to shave off by going 1x10 and getting lighter wheels by Summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.