Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2013 rumblefish

108K views 557 replies 76 participants last post by  Blind 
#1 ·
I have yet to be able to see one in person and was wondering if anyone has any pictures besides the stock website picture? Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#443 ·
I just picked up my first 29er, it's a new 2013 RF Pro. Was looking at a used one on craigslist and went to the Trek store to test ride one before meeting the CLer. Did the test ride in the parking lot and really liked the bike, they wanted $4K for it. Then I noticed another one off to the side and the price said $1999, turns out it's a demo bike, looks brand new w/ 1 year warranty... I pulled the trigger.

Coming from a 2007 SJ Pro, the RF is a much different ride. I've read all the hype about how 29ers make you go faster, and I wouldn't say I've drunk the cool-aid, but it is a much different experience. Any of the rocky trails I used to struggle with, I can now blaze through.

Here's a list of things I really like about this bike:

1. Additional ground clearance with pedals and BB - I can make it over stuff that I used to bottom out on.
2. Love the XT RD clutch - my chain slap'in days are gone.
3. XT brakes - will never buy another bike w/o Shimano brakes.
4. Bigger wheels - as stated earlier... bumps and rocks seem smaller
5. Super wide handle bars - first felt unnatural, but I think I really like it. Have had some trouble getting through some tight areas.
6. CTD - great idea, easy to switch, going to 'C' almost feels like a rigid bike.
7. Colors - I think it looks cool.

Things I don't like:
1. The difference between 'T' and 'D' isn't that noticeable, I'd like 'T' better if it was more firm.
2. Weight - weighed in at 28lbs w/o pedals coming out of the bike store. Wish it was a bit lighter. I've converted to tubeless, may have shaved off a little.

I've had it a month, probably been out on 15 rides and still get a little excited when I think about going on my next ride... Bottom line is I'm thrilled with the bike!

#444 · (Edited)
I just picked up my first 29er, it's a new 2013 RF Pro. Was looking at a used one on craigslist and went to the Trek store to test ride one before meeting the CLer. Did the test ride in the parking lot and really liked the bike, they wanted $4K for it. Then I noticed another one off to the side and the price said $1999, turns out it's a demo bike, looks brand new w/ 1 year warranty... I pulled the trigger.

Coming from a 2007 SJ Pro, the RF is a much different ride. I've read all the hype about how 29ers make you go faster, and I wouldn't say I've drunk the cool-aid, but it is a much different experience. Any of the rocky trails I used to struggle with, I can now blaze through.

Here's a list of things I really like about this bike:

1. Additional ground clearance with pedals and BB - I can make it over stuff that I used to bottom out on.
2. Love the XT RD clutch - my chain slap'in days are gone.
3. XT brakes - will never buy another bike w/o Shimano brakes.
4. Bigger wheels - as stated earlier... bumps and rocks seem smaller
5. Super wide handle bars - first felt unnatural, but I think I really like it. Have had some trouble getting through some tight areas.
6. CTD - great idea, easy to switch, going to 'C' almost feels like a rigid bike.
7. Colors - I think it looks cool.

Things I don't like:
1. The difference between 'T' and 'D' isn't that noticeable, I'd like 'T' better if it was more firm.
2. Weight - weighed in at 28lbs w/o pedals coming out of the bike store. Wish it was a bit lighter. I've converted to tubeless, may have shaved off a little.

I've had it a month, probably been out on 15 rides and still get a little excited when I think about going on my next ride... Bottom line is I'm thrilled with the bike!
I suspect that as you get more comfortable with the bike the difference between "T&D" will become more noticeable. Mine did.

#461 ·
exactly! mine being a 19" only has a bit of space.. got suckered into doing a 6hr relay in two weeks and i dont know how to manage just having a 20oz water bottle to use. might still end up using a hydration pack, though the weight will add up to my already slow pace but then again, its all in the spirit of having fun anyway and not for a podium finish.

#466 ·
This RF Elite followed me home today...

I haven't ridden it anymore than in the parking lot, down a small embankment, and onto/off of curbs but as you can see from the little o-ring I'm a little rough on this fork. The bike is a 23" model and I'm 6'5" / 210lbs.

The shop mechanic added +15psi over the trek recommended air pressure and that helped a lot as my first quick spin I managed to bottom the fork out just playing around in the parking lot...I'm used to my 170mm travel Bomber 66 fork on my Santa Cruz ;)

Has anyone swapped the fork out for something beefier, and if so - what? On a related note, is there a remote lever kit available for purchase for the CTD knob of the front/rear? And finally - what's the most recommended dropper seatpost?

I think I'm calling in sick for tomorrow morning to play in the dirt before lunch :)

#467 ·
At 210 this fork should be more than enough. Run it in "trail mode" though. The fork is designed for the first bit of the travel to soak up all the little stuff and the last inch or so is for big hits. This gives it a bottomless feel. I've got over a thousand miles on my elite and have never bottomed it out even with jumping all sorts of drops, stair sets, and creeks. I'm 201 fully geared.

#471 ·
#472 ·
Have any other 2013 rumblefish elite owners had the clicking duster wheel issue?

http://forums.mtbr.com/trek/issue-bontrager-rhythm-wheel-system-517317-5.html

My rear wheel started clicking after my first ride 1 day after I bought the bike. I brought it in after my next ride with the bike (Monday first ride, Friday 2nd ride) and the shop 'fixed' my wheel and it doesn't click anymore.

After another ride yesterday (Sunday) exactly 1 week after purchase, the front wheel seems to be developing a similar issue, though the sound from the front I'm hearing occurs with the brake applied and the wheel turned while I am standing...sort of like a track stand balance.

Some people in that thread say their LBS fixed the issue by drilling the wheels and center punching the pins at the weld joints, others more recently are saying that Trek warranty replaced their wheels with Rhythm Elite wheels in place of the Dusters.

Any experience from 2013 rumblefish owners?

I'm up to 74 miles on the bike now, thinking that if I'm seemingly breaking the wheels at this point I might need to return the bike.

#486 ·
Curious to know if any rumblefish riders have changed their wheelsets ?

And were the changes in riding noticeable for the better ?

Have been contemplating an upgrade, but then wonder if its a waste of money .

Cheers
Yes! I built some wheels with Stan's Crest hoops, American Classic hubs and DT SuperComp spokes.

The wheels, combined with new Schwalbe Nobby Nic tires changed the bikes personality enormously. It still rips downhills but now accelorations and climbing are both very noticeably easier.

The stock wheels (on my 2012 elite) were solid, but they're the BEST part to upgrade in my opinion.

#478 ·
I believe my creaking to be coming from the seatpost and seat. I have taken it all apart and put a thin film of grease on it and it shut up for a few rides then started again. Need to try again. I have a reverb post, but I think it is down in the frame where the noise is coming from.

I also suspected the maxle at one time.

Im not going to take it in because I dont want to be without the bike for long and have them do 5 minutes worth of work and tell me everything is fine.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

#479 ·
I believe my creaking to be coming from the seatpost and seat. I have taken it all apart and put a thin film of grease on it and it shut up for a few rides then started again. Need to try again. I have a reverb post, but I think it is down in the frame where the noise is coming from.

I also suspected the maxle at one time.

Im not going to take it in because I dont want to be without the bike for long and have them do 5 minutes worth of work and tell me everything is fine.

what kind of grease did you use.. i have the same minor issue... bigger issue was the REVERB POST not holding pressure. had to send it back to LBS 10 days ago and have not heard from them yet...

#480 ·
The reverb itself has been great. I just used the tub of belray motorcycle grease that ive had for 15 years. Im guessing I missed a little bit of dirt. Im still not sure if its the clamp/seat rail, or where the post goes into the frame

#482 ·
Got the first mods on my new RF -

Gravity dropper knock-off dropper seatpost (tmars)
XT shadow plus RD
XT shifters
SLX m660-10 crankset
Ergon knock-off lock-on grips

Looks like I need to take the cable off the dropper post in order to route it to the trek cable clamps above the shock, the dropper came in the mail this morning so I quickly slapped it on before riding in to work

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.