Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2013 rumblefish

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post
    We were riding our local trails today and i came upon a santa cruz demo event. I rode a carbon Tallboy LTc with carbon wheels, fox kashima stuff, and XT goodies.

It was really light and a nice bike, but I was happy to get back on my fish at the end of the ride.
    Good to hear you still like the fish Luke. Love mine too, buying her some new shoes this week but can't decide on whether to get Flow EX's or Arch EX's. What are your thoughts guys for a rumblefish. I weigh 196 without camelbak

MTB B'dos
    Flows, any day of the week. The little bit of weight you'll save is not worth the width and strength you give up.

Quote Originally Posted by grundy1973 View Post
    Good to hear you still like the fish Luke. Love mine too, buying her some new shoes this week but can't decide on whether to get Flow EX's or Arch EX's. What are your thoughts guys for a rumblefish. I weigh 196 without camelbak
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    what's the main advantage of aftermarket wheels? The Tallboy that I rode today had carbon wheels on it, and I was expecting a huge difference in acceleration. I couldn't really tell that much of a difference.

I know I'm not comparing different wheels on the same bike, but is it just weight savings, or is there a major difference in rigidity?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

broken fish

Don't know how or when I did this, but I'm not very happy! Warranty issue??2013 rumblefish-20130616_134921.jpg

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    duplicate
    2016 Spot rollik557, 2012 Rumblefish Elite, 2015 Minnesota 2 Fatbike, 2010 Superfly 100 Carbon, 2016 Fuji Transonic roadie

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready805 View Post
    Don't know how or when I did this, but I'm not very happy! Warranty issue??Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130616_134921.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	808532
    Your shop will likely be able to drill a small hole in the remaining bolt, use a bolt extractor then install a freshly greased new bolt.

I was horrified the first time I broke off a seat bolt on my motorcycle and thought I ruined the whole bike!
    2016 Spot rollik557, 2012 Rumblefish Elite, 2015 Minnesota 2 Fatbike, 2010 Superfly 100 Carbon, 2016 Fuji Transonic roadie

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It's in the shop now. I miss it already

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready805 View Post
    Don't know how or when I did this, but I'm not very happy! Warranty issue??Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130616_134921.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	808532
    what the heck. the bolt on my MAXLE also broke.. the bolt that holds the AXLE LEVER! i was able to get one from one LBS but am just worried its not bolt specific. do you guys put grease on your MAXLE btw?
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I grease mine but very lightly

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I grease mine but very lightly
    thank you for the input

2013 rumblefish-broken-maxle.jpg

LBS almost tried to charge me for a replacement MAXLE. had to remind them my RF is within warranty.

i just have a bad feeling the BOLT on the the replacement MAXLE will snap again. any suggestions to a MORE DURABLE replacement? TITANIUM?

thanks again for the inputs.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Not sure to be honest. Thinking about it. Mine makes hell of a creaking sound when I open and close the QR on the maxle. Maybe mine is about to fail too! I look online for a fox one to match the front but I guess they only make ones for the forks

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Not sure to be honest. Thinking about it. Mine makes hell of a creaking sound when I open and close the QR on the maxle. Maybe mine is about to fail too! I look online for a fox one to match the front but I guess they only make ones for the forks
    i suggest you look into it since those were the signs i had before they broke off..

now if we only knew what exact spec this bolt has, we may be able to get a TITANIUM replacement here : Titanium Bolts, Titanium Bolt, Titanium Fasteners, Ti Bolt

i think its between an M4X15 OR M4X20 can anyone confirm?
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    2013 rumblefish-image.jpg

Checked again. Greased and good to go

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Checked again. Greased and good to go
    good for you. mine had to stay at the LBS while they ordered the MAXLE.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    So apparently there are no replacement bolts in the UK & I'm now waiting on a delivery from Holland...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hi guys, I was offered a 2013 rumblefish elite from Scheels for $2495. Im wondering if this bike can be had for less? Should I wait a little longer for prices to drop when the 2014's hit? Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasanii19 View Post
    Hi guys, I was offered a 2013 rumblefish elite from Scheels for $2495. Im wondering if this bike can be had for less? Should I wait a little longer for prices to drop when the 2014's hit? Thanks
    That's a pretty good price. Seems the consensus is that Trek won't offer the Rumblefish next year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yeah the fuel EX 29er will probably mean the fish will be "sleeping with the fishes"

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: 2013 rumblefish

Racing my fish.

Entered my second race last weekend, Legends of Stanky Creek. Finished 5th Cat3 30-39.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 rumblefish-uploadfromtaptalk1371906591807.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Cool Q!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Bolt update: Apparently there are no replacement bolts in stock in the UK OR Europe! Got to wait another 2 weeks for delivery.....pretty annoyed to be honest!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah the fuel EX 29er will probably mean the fish will be "sleeping with the fishes"
    If you read and believe the reviews , it seems the fuel ex 29er is an improvement in geometry and the rear suspension set up on the fish.

I wonder how many rumblefish owners out there are looking to upgrade to the Fuel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfern View Post

I wonder how many rumblefish owners out there are looking to upgrade to the Fuel.
    Much as I love my rumblefish, I'm seriously considering the upgrade. Especially after the current problem I'm having. How bad will it be once all production is stopped?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Before is start, I love my rumblefish. The fit is perfect and it does everything I want/need. however, when I bought it, I originally wanted a fuel ex and had done for a few years but thought, no, i'll be different and get me a 29er. I did so and never looked back and love it. Now those trek people go and release my perfect bike. A fuel ex 29er!I had a chat with my LBS about this immediately. I was very tempted to get a fuel ex 9 29er. It would have been an upgrade because of the full floater rear shock, but other than that there wasn't much in it. Apart from losing half the value I paid for my fish last December. The advice I had was to stick with the fish for 2 or 3 years and then change.

I have emailed trek though, to see if they intend to sell the ex 29er as a frame only option?

As I said before, I still love my rumblefish and she ain't going anywhere for now

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I love my rumblefish too , Im going to sit on the fence for a while, im sure there are some improvements ........ but how much ?

One thing that intrigues me is the fit, it has a longer top tube, the 17.5 Fuel has the same top tube length as the 19 Fish.
    I ride the 19 Fish, perhaps I could get away with the 17.5 Fuel .

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yeah I think the fuel has a long top tube paired with a short stem. It would be cool to drop a frame size as 21" is a big ass bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah I think the fuel has a long top tube paired with a short stem. It would be cool to drop a frame size as 21" is a big ass bike
    Yeah I'm 5 11 and ride the 19 fish ,

Was caught a little between the two sizes , just felt too cramped on the 17.5 , maybe the fuel I'd be ok on the 17.5 , which would have to improve handling

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm 5'9 with a 32 inseam and test rode a Rumblefish 19" today. It felt good to me. Also, test rode a 19.5" Fuel EX 7 29er which was definitely too big. By the way, I really liked the RF standard model and the Elixir 3s weren't half bad. Damn dealer is only knocking off about $200, but gives lifetime free services. I think I'll wait.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Are any of you using the Garmin GSC 10 speed and cadence sensor? If so where did you put it and how do you have it mounted? The instructions recommend putting it on the chainstay opposite the drive train. That doesn't work because the brake line is there.

So that I would at least have the speed sensor fucntionality I decided to mount it on the seat stay. There it seems that the sensor is too far away from the magnet on the spoke. Since the distances look the same I think chain stay mounting would have the same issue.

I appreciate any help/advice you all have.

thanks,
    Anthony

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm contemplating the garmin speed and cadence sensor for my fish too. Very interested to hear what people have to say

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Amp98 View Post
    Are any of you using the Garmin GSC 10 speed and cadence sensor? If so where did you put it and how do you have it mounted? The instructions recommend putting it on the chainstay opposite the drive train. That doesn't work because the brake line is there.

So that I would at least have the speed sensor fucntionality I decided to mount it on the seat stay. There it seems that the sensor is too far away from the magnet on the spoke. Since the distances look the same I think chain stay mounting would have the same issue.

I appreciate any help/advice you all have.

thanks,
    Anthony
    The sensor comes with 2 mounting pads. One of them lifts it up and you just put it over top of the brake line on the chain stay. I have had 0 problems with it there.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Any issues with the sensor getting wet luke?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Any issues with the sensor getting wet luke?
    Nope...sprayed it off with the hose yesterday

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post

The sensor comes with 2 mounting pads. One of them lifts it up and you just put it over top of the brake line on the chain stay. I have had 0 problems with it there.

Thanks. I'll give that a try. I never thought to use the other mounting pad. I thought it was for bikes with smaller more narrow chain stays.

Appreciate the pic. Very helpful. I'll try to mimic your setup there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I finally stepped up and ordered some new Crossmax SLR's for my RF Elite. I'll post some pics once there on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Q-TECH View Post
    I finally stepped up and ordered some new Crossmax SLR's for my RF Elite. I'll post some pics once there on.
    As promised.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 rumblefish-uploadfromtaptalk1373074782282.jpg  

2013 rumblefish-uploadfromtaptalk1373074799218.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Very nice wheels! I would appreciate your feedback on how the bike handles with the SLRs. I'm guessing you dropped 390 grams -- 2010 grams (Rhythm Elites) to 1620 grams (SLRs).

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nice wheels Q. I've got a set of hope hoops (arch ex) on the way. Can't wait to get them on. I am wondering if I should change to flows though

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sunderland View Post
    Very nice wheels! I would appreciate your feedback on how the bike handles with the SLRs. I'm guessing you dropped 390 grams -- 2010 grams (Rhythm Elites) to 1620 grams (SLRs).
    Finally got to ride the Mavics and I'm really pleased with them. Having never done back to back comparisons of different levels of wheels on a given bike I wasn't sure that there would even be a noticeable difference in performance. While the improvement in acceleration/climbing is only very very slight, the handling gains are huge. The bike is much sharper in turns at all speeds. The weight savings is actually 816 grams (had dusters and tubes) but it seems like more flicking it through tight stuff. Im guessing the added stiffness and improved tracking has the biggest impact but I'll take it either way. Im also really digging the improved hub engagement. Should have got them sooner!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Q-TECH,
    Thanks very much for the report. Good to hear the Mavics have made a measurable improvement. A wheel upgrade will be my next bike expenditure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Changed mywheel order to Hope Hoops (Flow EX). Will get some pics up when I get them fitted. And a ride report.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Changed mywheel order to Hope Hoops (Flow EX). Will get some pics up when I get them fitted. And a ride report.
    Looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just picked up my first 29er, it's a new 2013 RF Pro. Was looking at a used one on craigslist and went to the Trek store to test ride one before meeting the CLer. Did the test ride in the parking lot and really liked the bike, they wanted $4K for it. Then I noticed another one off to the side and the price said $1999, turns out it's a demo bike, looks brand new w/ 1 year warranty... I pulled the trigger.

Coming from a 2007 SJ Pro, the RF is a much different ride. I've read all the hype about how 29ers make you go faster, and I wouldn't say I've drunk the cool-aid, but it is a much different experience. Any of the rocky trails I used to struggle with, I can now blaze through.

Here's a list of things I really like about this bike:

1. Additional ground clearance with pedals and BB - I can make it over stuff that I used to bottom out on.
    2. Love the XT RD clutch - my chain slap'in days are gone.
    3. XT brakes - will never buy another bike w/o Shimano brakes.
    4. Bigger wheels - as stated earlier... bumps and rocks seem smaller
    5. Super wide handle bars - first felt unnatural, but I think I really like it. Have had some trouble getting through some tight areas.
    6. CTD - great idea, easy to switch, going to 'C' almost feels like a rigid bike.
    7. Colors - I think it looks cool.

Things I don't like:
    1. The difference between 'T' and 'D' isn't that noticeable, I'd like 'T' better if it was more firm.
    2. Weight - weighed in at 28lbs w/o pedals coming out of the bike store. Wish it was a bit lighter. I've converted to tubeless, may have shaved off a little.

I've had it a month, probably been out on 15 rides and still get a little excited when I think about going on my next ride... Bottom line is I'm thrilled with the bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Quote Originally Posted by scottdogsert View Post
    I just picked up my first 29er, it's a new 2013 RF Pro. Was looking at a used one on craigslist and went to the Trek store to test ride one before meeting the CLer. Did the test ride in the parking lot and really liked the bike, they wanted $4K for it. Then I noticed another one off to the side and the price said $1999, turns out it's a demo bike, looks brand new w/ 1 year warranty... I pulled the trigger.

Coming from a 2007 SJ Pro, the RF is a much different ride. I've read all the hype about how 29ers make you go faster, and I wouldn't say I've drunk the cool-aid, but it is a much different experience. Any of the rocky trails I used to struggle with, I can now blaze through.

Here's a list of things I really like about this bike:

1. Additional ground clearance with pedals and BB - I can make it over stuff that I used to bottom out on.
    2. Love the XT RD clutch - my chain slap'in days are gone.
    3. XT brakes - will never buy another bike w/o Shimano brakes.
    4. Bigger wheels - as stated earlier... bumps and rocks seem smaller
    5. Super wide handle bars - first felt unnatural, but I think I really like it. Have had some trouble getting through some tight areas.
    6. CTD - great idea, easy to switch, going to 'C' almost feels like a rigid bike.
    7. Colors - I think it looks cool.

Things I don't like:
    1. The difference between 'T' and 'D' isn't that noticeable, I'd like 'T' better if it was more firm.
    2. Weight - weighed in at 28lbs w/o pedals coming out of the bike store. Wish it was a bit lighter. I've converted to tubeless, may have shaved off a little.

I've had it a month, probably been out on 15 rides and still get a little excited when I think about going on my next ride... Bottom line is I'm thrilled with the bike!
    I suspect that as you get more comfortable with the bike the difference between "T&D" will become more noticeable. Mine did.
    Last edited by Q-TECH; 07-19-2013 at 01:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

I never use the d setting. Just makes the bike feel too vague

passed out in your garden

Quote Originally Posted by scottdogsert View Post
    Its been nearly two years lve had my Fish, and l still get a 'tingle' when l ride it , awesome bikes.

or maybe l just need to adjust my seat...........
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    Its been nearly two years lve had my Fish, and l still get a 'tingle' when l ride it , awesome bikes.

or maybe l just need to adjust my seat...........

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    2013 rumblefish-image.jpg

My fish with her new Flows

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Nice. Do you notice much difference between those and the bonty tlr's?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	827961

My fish with her new Flows
    what size RF is that?
    2014 TREK FARLEY