Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 rumblefish

Eatin' aint Cheatin'
    I don't know how they do their 29ers, but I have a 19.5 on my ex8 and I'm 6'1.

Quote Originally Posted by Q-TECH View Post
    Ive been looking for a full suspension ride for a bit now. Currently on a Hardrock 29 disc (my first real bike).

I rode the std RF in the lots near my LBS. I liked it quite a bit. Im about 90% certain Ill be ordering a RF Elite very soon.

Im on the bubble between a 19&21 frame so ive gotta sort that one out. Unfortunately the shop is like 99% Specialized so selection is limited.
    2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2010 Cannondale F4

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stangbang View Post
    I don't know how they do their 29ers, but I have a 19.5 on my ex8 and I'm 6'1.
    Whoa Stang,,, you're everywhere!

I went with the 19. It felt nearly perfect.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hi guys, my first post.........

I did have a trek fuel ex 8 2010 (18.5) which got stolen, then got a cheap second hand top fuel carbon (18.5 inch) to get by until I found a new bike that suited. I looked around but never demo'd any bikes as the ones i wanted to try were never available.

I settled on the rumblefish elite 2013 (19inch) , im 6ft2 and it seems a perfect fit. im very happy with the bike and it seems to fit most types of riding if your happto to flick between the different suspention modes.

a few things i'd like to mention.

On my first ride I was less than impressed with the suspension. It seems going off the recommended settings made the back to stiff and front too soft. I dropped 15psi out of the back, put 10psi extra in the front, slightly ajusted the rebound and the bike came alive.

The supplied tyres are pretty good but tended to slip more id like on wet mud and rocks. I replaced these with Schwalbe Hans Dampf trailstar on the front, and the pacestar on the rear. these things are incredible and stick like s**t to a blanket !!!

I find myself switching between the different modes quite a lot to get the most from the bike, I really wish there was a remote already fitted and im in the process of getting this done by mojo.

The last point ....... in trail mode the bike feels great and your able to do fast downhill + uphil sections sections fine. switch into decent and its like floating on a magic carpet, possible to the point where it takes some of the fun out of the ride. The smile soon comes back when your having to brake and wait around for your friends to get out of the way as you fly past

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Stoke View Post
    Hi guys, my first post.........

I did have a trek fuel ex 8 2010 (18.5) which got stolen, then got a cheap second hand top fuel carbon (18.5 inch) to get by until I found a new bike that suited. I looked around but never demo'd any bikes as the ones i wanted to try were never available.

I settled on the rumblefish elite 2013 (19inch) , im 6ft2 and it seems a perfect fit. im very happy with the bike and it seems to fit most types of riding if your happto to flick between the different suspention modes.

a few things i'd like to mention.

On my first ride I was less than impressed with the suspension. It seems going off the recommended settings made the back to stiff and front too soft. I dropped 15psi out of the back, put 10psi extra in the front, slightly ajusted the rebound and the bike came alive.

The supplied tyres are pretty good but tended to slip more id like on wet mud and rocks. I replaced these with Schwalbe Hans Dampf trailstar on the front, and the pacestar on the rear. these things are incredible and stick like s**t to a blanket !!!

I find myself switching between the different modes quite a lot to get the most from the bike, I really wish there was a remote already fitted and im in the process of getting this done by mojo.

The last point ....... in trail mode the bike feels great and your able to do fast downhill + uphil sections sections fine. switch into decent and its like floating on a magic carpet, possible to the point where it takes some of the fun out of the ride. The smile soon comes back when your having to brake and wait around for your friends to get out of the way as you fly past
    Nice write up!

Happen to have a link for the tires you mentioned?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    no problem. I struggled to find good reviews for this bike when i purchased 2 months ago so thought id have my say.

look at item numbner 260960402603 on ebay for a shop selling these items with a good description / spec.

This guy sells both tyres and i got excellent service. The trailstar is the tacky version recommended for the front, the pacestar is a little less tacky and faster rolling. these on a 29er look like monster truck wheels and i was quite concerned at first, but they dont slow you down as I expected.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey guys, another 1st time poster here. I'm about to upgrade from a 26" hardtail (2011 trek 4900) and have narrowed my search down to a Rumblefish Elite or a Fuel Ex 8, but really can't decide between the 2. I've had a basic ride in a car park on the 2 and they both feel good, but any advice/thoughts on going 29" or staying 26" would be appreciated! I'll mostly be riding woodland trails with occasional weekends away to trail centres in Scotland & Wales.
    If it helps I'm just under under 6'1 and am looking at 21" frame size..

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I was torn between the same 2 bikes, but for me the 29'er won. I had a 4300, and went to a demo event close by. After riding a bunch of 29ers and then a fuel ex 9.8, it just felt like I couldn't get going on the fuel compared to the fish and the trance.

I think a lot of really skilled guys still prefer the 26" wheels, but for a person of my skills the advantages of the big wheels far outweigh the disadvantages. I'm still very much a beginner.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post
    I was torn between the same 2 bikes, but for me the 29'er won. I had a 4300, and went to a demo event close by. After riding a bunch of 29ers and then a fuel ex 9.8, it just felt like I couldn't get going on the fuel compared to the fish and the trance.

I think a lot of really skilled guys still prefer the 26" wheels, but for a person of my skills the advantages of the big wheels far outweigh the disadvantages. I'm still very much a beginner.
    So you have no regrets about getting the Rumblefish? They are both exceptional bikes, with similar components and (hefty!) price tags. I've had my eyes on a fuel ex for so long now I may have become blinkered to anything else, but the friendly guy in my LBS says that 29s are the way to go. I love the 'flickability' of my 26, and kinda get the impression that 29s almost 'dumb down' the riding experience? Anyone else think like this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MarvinK View Post
    OK, finally got around to uploading some pics.
    I _hated_ the green before I saw one in person. Having seen them in person a few times now it has started growing on me...

mtbr member
    I really don't see 26" sticking around... if you get the Fuel, in several years you will have limited options for new wheels and tires. Depends how long you plan to keep it, but if you're in for the long haul, the Rumblefish will age better.

Eatin' aint Cheatin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-TECH View Post
    Nice write up!

Happen to have a link for the tires you mentioned?
    The hans dampf are nice Q but you might find better deals on the bontrager 29-4's that are more than adequate (read awesome) for your trails.
    2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2010 Cannondale F4

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready805 View Post
    So you have no regrets about getting the Rumblefish? They are both exceptional bikes, with similar components and (hefty!) price tags. I've had my eyes on a fuel ex for so long now I may have become blinkered to anything else, but the friendly guy in my LBS says that 29s are the way to go. I love the 'flickability' of my 26, and kinda get the impression that 29s almost 'dumb down' the riding experience? Anyone else think like this?

honestly I haven't taken delivery yet. The main attraction for me to the 29er is the rolling resistance

Quote Originally Posted by MarvinK View Post
    I really don't see 26" sticking around... if you get the Fuel, in several years you will have limited options for new wheels and tires. Depends how long you plan to keep it, but if you're in for the long haul, the Rumblefish will age better.
    I don't think 26" bikes are going anywhere, a lot of people prefer them

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hey guys, another 1st time poster here. I'm about to upgrade from a 26" hardtail (2011 trek 4900) and have narrowed my search down to a Rumblefish Elite or a Fuel Ex 8, but really can't decide between the 2. I've had a basic ride in a car park on the 2 and they both feel good, but any advice/thoughts on going 29" or staying 26" would be appreciated! I'll mostly be riding woodland trails with occasional weekends away to trail centres in Scotland & Wales.
    If it helps I'm just under under 6'1 and am looking at 21" frame size..

im just over 6ft2 and the 19 inch is perfect. the bike feels quite big compared with the equivalent 26 fuel ex.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm 6ft3 and was advised on getting a 21. I did demo a 19 but the guys at the lbs reckoned a 21 would be a better fit. Wish they'd hurry up and get me the bike as the wait is killing me!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by grundy1973 View Post
    I'm 6ft3 and was advised on getting a 21. I did demo a 19 but the guys at the lbs reckoned a 21 would be a better fit. Wish they'd hurry up and get me the bike as the wait is killing me!
    They give you an ETA on it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    i got mine 8 weeks ago, the bike was brought in for the shop owner. apparently they had 1 x 17inch and 1 x 19 inch allocated and a delay until the second week in December for more stock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nah, just December. I'll pop in on the weekend and ask for an update

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm told Dec 17th on mine. Its killing me waiting

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ive had mine roughly a month now, loving it. But I got the 2012 pro at a cheap price, same geometry etc,

The size thing is personal, im 5 11, with a big upper body, the 17.5 felt cramped, went with the 19 and shortened the stem , a lot of guys my height wouldve preferred the 17.5. Had a few moments of doubt initially, no regrets now.

Its a beast of a bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am 6'2" riding a 2012 Rumblefish Elite 21". The 19" seemed a little cramped for me when the trail starts getting technical.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Think I'm going to go for a 21" Rumblefish Elite.... Will post again soon!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Think I'm going to go for a 21" Rumblefish Elite.... Will post again soon!
    Im also just under 6-1 but I went with the 19. It felt perfect. Definitely not cramped.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    No fish for me this Christmas, called my lbs today and January 7th is the latest date for mine

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by grundy1973 View Post
    No fish for me this Christmas, called my lbs today and January 7th is the latest date for mine
    Uh-oh...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    My lbs is still saying dec 17th

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast