Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22

Thread: 2013 rumblefish

Trips for Kids Denver
    Here's an update in regards to my update addiction but the results are fantastic. After adding the FOX 34, dropper post and beefy tires my beloved Rumblefish had turned into a pig while climbing. I just installed lighter tires, American Classic Wide lightning wheels, XO carbon cranks with direct mount Wolfstooth 30t, GC 42t, removed front derailleur & shifter!

These upgrades have TOTALLY transformed my bike! It is much more lively and not just for downhills anymore!! The wheels hold a line better with the added stiffness and spin up much quicker. LOVE IT!!!

" I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    what effect does swapping to that drivetrain setup have on pedal speeds while going down or on flats?
    2013 Trek/Gary Fisher Rumblefish Elite XXL/23"
    120mm 29er

2004 Santa Cruz Bullitt XL White
    170mm 26er

Trips for Kids Denver
    It's fine for where I ride with long climbs and steep downhills but has great range with 42-10 hybrid cassette. If you check the gear chart against 30t chainring and the cassette it pedals everywhere pretty well. You could always go with a 32 or 34 chainring if you don't get the steep climbs.

Gear Chart ? wolftoothcomponents.com
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It looks like from the charts it would be too much of a compromise to switch from the triple for me, I need my 22/36 in a lot of places where I climb in socal, but I also like to use the 42/11 sometimes. Seems you've changed your bike a lot from the original intention of a trail bike like the rumblefish. I'm not saying that's bad, but it's just not the kind of riding I have mine for.

Looks like I could match the gearing on my bullitt with that kind of setup and drop some weight though...hmm
    120mm 29er

170mm 26er

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Really nice!! I also have a 2012 RF Elite, and I did almost all of the same upgrades you did, but I also upgraded the front and rear suspension to 140mm and I paired the Wolf Tooth GC with an XT 2x10 - which works flawlessly and provides a huge gear range. For comparison: the 24t chainring / 42t cog is a slightly easier climbing gear than a 22t chainring / 38t cog would be - which is phenomenal for recovering while pedaling on singletrack climbs that are both steep and miles long ... it just enables you to stay on the bike more and push less.
    (i still have my 2012 RF Elite, and here's my tastefully upgraded 2014 Remedy 9 29er)
    2013 rumblefish-1780685_10201694755026364_296918330_n.jpg
    2013 rumblefish-1795543_10201673760261508_147778144_n.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman View Post
    Here's an update in regards to my update addiction but the results are fantastic. After adding the FOX 34, dropper post and beefy tires my beloved Rumblefish had turned into a pig while climbing. I just installed lighter tires, American Classic Wide lightning wheels, XO carbon cranks with direct mount Wolfstooth 30t, GC 42t, removed front derailleur & shifter!

These upgrades have TOTALLY transformed my bike! It is much more lively and not just for downhills anymore!! The wheels hold a line better with the added stiffness and spin up much quicker. LOVE IT!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I like to thank Trek for great customer service! After moving to SoCal I've been pushing my Rumblefish Elite harder than ever. Maybe too hard.. After cracking my lower chain stay one week and cracking the shock link two weeks later Trek replaced both parts in less than a week at no cost. This type of service will keep me getting Trek's in the future.

mtbr member
    2013 rumblefish-first-ride1.jpg2013 rumblefish-first-ride2.jpgBrand new owner here in the Great NW. I bought a clearance 2013 Rumblefish with the RS Revelation and I love it. I upgraded from an entry-level hardtail 29er. First ride last night and I'm still getting used to the CTD shock and adjust on the fork. I used the recommended setting with air on both but found I was very nearly bottoming out too easily. I'm going to make some adjustments and add more air then hit the same trail.

I've had my eye on this bike for a year and I'm still smiling 3 days after I took it home.

mtbr member
    First mod! moved a few parts over from my hardtail. Added the Forte team flatbar and specialized lock-on grips, both a bit lighter than the bontrgers. Also raised my stem up to the top of the steer tube and flipped it over to get a 5 degree drop. I like this angle more.

Next up is to move my specialized ground control tires over (2.1) because I think they are lighter and I prefer a bit more narrow tire for my riding style. I'm going to start working through the cranks to convert to a 1X10 hopefully sometime this week.

And before you ask.. I already blew that keg in the background.. need to refill pronto...2013 rumblefish-stem.jpg

mtbr member
    2nd mod! Also went 1X10 using a Raceface 32 tooth narrow/wide ring. Love it so far after one trip around the neighborhood.

2013 rumblefish-image.jpg2013 rumblefish-image.jpg

passed out in your garden
    Looking good, l take that its the base model 'fish (sorry if lm wrong), l'd like to go 2x10, with 22/36 (not sure if its possible?) currently 22/32/42, but laziness and funds are holding me back, as it is l need to replace the cassette, chain, 22 & 32 chainrings, rear deraileuer and cable once spring comes, mmmm might be a good time to go 2x???

if I was to go 2x10, do I then also need a new crank, or do I space the current one, or is it just as easy as removing the big chainring? I think some information searching is required,
    my thinking is that with 2x10 that the small chainring is also used on all 10 rings of the cassette, but in its current set up (3x10) the chain is too "diagonal" imo, therefore my thinking that the small and middle chainrings would need to head outwards ~5mm, or am I overthinking it?

anyways, 2012 'fish elite

Last edited by cmg71; 03-07-2014 at 12:07 AM.
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    I think you are overthinking it a bit. They were designed to work in any line between the cranks rings and the cassette. You should be able to take off the crank arms, unbolt the rings and bolt the 22 back on with a new 36 in the middle position and call it good. It should 'work' like that just fine however you would want to put on a 2 gear shifter and derailleur before something gets messed up. I don't see why you would need to replace the chain, cassette or cable though..

Chain, cassette, cable & rear derailleur are being replaced due to being worn out and/or damaged, sorry for the confusion, I also thought I'd do the 22 & 32 as well (since this will be the 3rd chain)

now Im wondering if going to 2x10 wont cost that much more, so why not? mmmmm need to do more research
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    mine's been sitting in the shop for 2 weeks, stopped by for an update this afternoon and finally the warranty'd wheels have arrived but I need to wait for them to take apart my old wheels and put my old hubs and spokes onto the new wheels.

This makes my third set of Duster rims since I bought the bike in October They seem to last 3 rides for me here in Socal...maybe this set will last? Or maybe Trek will figure out these wheels aren't strong enough for a 6'5" 210lb rider on a 23" xxl frame...
    120mm 29er

170mm 26er

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Blind View Post
    mine's been sitting in the shop for 2 weeks, stopped by for an update this afternoon and finally the warranty'd wheels have arrived but I need to wait for them to take apart my old wheels and put my old hubs and spokes onto the new wheels.

This makes my third set of Duster rims since I bought the bike in October They seem to last 3 rides for me here in Socal...maybe this set will last? Or maybe Trek will figure out these wheels aren't strong enough for a 6'5" 210lb rider on a 23" xxl frame...
    The stock Dusters are wet noodles. I'm 250 and I ride my bike like I stole it. When I moved to SoCal I found how much flex the stock wheels have. I even relaced my rear wheel with Sapium strong spokes. I just replaced my wheel set to Sun Ringle Chargers and what a difference. The bike handles like its on rails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I wish I could just buy another set of wheels for the bike, but I blew my entire bike budget when I purchased it in October. I shouldn't need to replace the wheelset on a ~$3000 brand new 'elite' level trail bike.

I don't ride it nearly as hard as I do my santa cruz. I use that bike for gravity/trails with jump features...
    120mm 29er

170mm 26er

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I must be breaking a spoke every other ride at the mo.. Pretty p'd off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready805 View Post
    Try relaceing with Sapim Strong spokes. It made my rear wheel holdup much better. Just watch out with the spoke tension. Those suckers are stronger than the rims.

Besides looking absolutely tops , I'd be interested to know how the Crossmax SLRs have held up......

Quote Originally Posted by Q-TECH View Post
    As promised.

Name:  813800d1373074767t-2013-rumblefish-uploadfromtaptalk1373074782282.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  44.2 KB

Would also be interested in how the Flows have held up........

Quote Originally Posted by grundy1973 View Post
    Name:  827961d1377815569t-2013-rumblefish-image.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  63.0 KB

My fish with her new Flows
    1993 Colnago Elegant

banned
    Jan 2013
    So cal here as well, and yea another big rider blowing spokes out regularly on the dusters.

What I have found to help heaps, check and re tighten spokes before every ride. As soon as I started working that into my pre ride routine the broken spokes near disappeared.

I still intend to upgrade to hope/dt/flows eventually, but it is now a want more than a need.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    Besides looking absolutely tops , I'd be interested to know how the Crossmax SLRs have held up......

Would also be interested in how the Flows have held up........
    Flows have been bomb proof thus far. Love em but those mavics look the biz!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    So cal here as well, and yea another big rider blowing spokes out regularly on the dusters.

What I have found to help heaps, check and re tighten spokes before every ride. As soon as I started working that into my pre ride routine the broken spokes near disappeared.
    I've started doing this too, and so far no breakages!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready805 View Post
    I would loosen all the spokes and tighten them to proper even tension, or have someone do that if you don't know how or don't want to mess with it. That should nearly elminate broken spokes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    Chain, cassette, cable & rear derailleur are being replaced due to being worn out and/or damaged, sorry for the confusion, I also thought I'd do the 22 & 32 as well (since this will be the 3rd chain)

now Im wondering if going to 2x10 wont cost that much more, so why not? mmmmm need to do more research

Have you or anyone else had luck swapping from the 3x10 that came on the bike to a 2x10?

I have the same 2013 RF1 that coling posted pictures of, just a different frame size because I have a small triangle where the seat post meets the top tube.

I'm not the greatest technical rider just yet, this is my first full suspension bike, but I have hit the big ring a few times here and there on a rock, root, or sump/log. Not to mention my leg once or twice. I only use the big ring when riding paved trails to get out to the dirt...so getting rid of it, I could still spin fast enough with the stock 33t mid ring to get where i need to go, and put a bash ring in place of the big ring.

The only problem is finding reliable info to do the modifications. Should any Bash guard with the proper bolt circle work? Also, I too was concerned with chain line as the current setup now in mid ring to smallest cog is at a pretty decent angle and rubs the FD cage. It's not a severe cross chaining but it's getting there. And when I remove the 44t I may need that combo for flat land pavement pounding so I don't have to spin over 100 rpm or something like that.

Also, I understand limiting the movement of the FD to not go to where the 44t used to be. But would it be better to find a 2x10 specific front shifter?

And last one...for now...the RD, now that I won't have a 44t I'm sure the chain will have to get shorter and in doing so I won't need the Long cage RD any more right? So will it's performance be really bad unless I change to a medium cage? Kind of want to swap anyways since mine did not come with a clutch and I'd love to get rid of that chain slap.

Thanks for any help, like I said I've been trying to read as much as possible on the subject but Trek seems to make it all just a little bit different from all the other brands and I'd like to save the $$ and do all this myself if I can find the right parts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    ^ iv been running my rumblefish with a bash guard in place of the big ring since shortly after I got it. I just never used the big ring, but then again I'm almost always riding dirt.

I ended up getting a bbg bash guard, 16 bucks, very nice and bolted on easily. You just need a 104 bcd guard. It's a very simple swap. Take off the big ring and put the bash on where the big ring goes. No need to remove your crank or anything.

I cannot help you with the front derailleur thing. I just used my 3x front and played with the limiter screw so that it wouldn't shift to the bash guard.

on a side note I'll be going to 1x here shortly, iv got a 30t nw chainring on the way.

another note this is on my rumble fish pro w/ xt crank.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the info on 2x10 setup. I will look into it more, and I may or may not get to it this season. The main reason for doing it is that I've been wanting a clutch type RD and if I was going to get one, I'd rather get a medium cage if it worked with the ratios I want on the 2x10. Still need to go over the gear clacs and ride my bike with the "missing gears" by not using them to be sure it's what I want first.

However, just had my first warranty issue with my base model RF though. The rear hub was making a bit of a garble sound almost like it had rocks in it or something. Took it in and didn't get much of an explanation other than one of the pawls wasn't returning properly, they did what they could to get me riding for the weekend and it was fine on the ride as far as I could tell.

The shop though, submitted the warranty claim with Trek and it turns out I'm getting a whole new wheel. Yay! Also, Trek said they are going to convert it to 142 x 12 while they're at it. I'm guessing that for them to do it quickly they didn't have any rear wheels built up in 135 that they could ship right to the shop? Either way, seems like a huge bonus to me.

My concern though is that when I look at the RF Elite and Pro from 2013 I see they both have the 142 axle...but the wheels are 28 hole, not 32 like my base RF came with. This has me concerned for strength and reliability. I'm not light, 195 with gear. And I've had no problems yet, but for my use and needs the savings of 4 spokes in weight (and nipples) doesn't outweigh the stronger setup of a 32...or at least that's my interpretation of why someone would want 32. Going to call the shop to see if I'll be getting a new wheel with 28 or 32.

Should I be concerned if it's a 28? Did Trek/Bonti even make a 142 rear axle wheel with 32 spokes anyways? Stock rims are hard to find info on, and don't seem to really match the current stuff on their website.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22