Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 rumblefish

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

I'll give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Madmick View Post
    All Terrain Cycles up at Saltaire, Bradford UK

Mountain Bikes | Road Bikes | MTB | Bike Finance | All Terrain

they have looked after me a few times with demo bikes and been lucky enough to get three that were brand new and i had first ride on them

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I just went through extensively testing every 29er I could get my hands on.

XC Race: Trek Superfly 100, Specialized Epic, Niner Jet
    XC: Kona Hei Hei, Khs Bajada
    XC/ Trail: Trek Rumblefish, Specialized Camber
    Trail/ All Mountain: Specialized Stumpjumper

And as of now I will be getting a Trek Rumblefish pro.
    I ride what I call aggressive cross country, single track some jumps I come from bmx and do not sit down much. The Trek Rumblefish and Specialized Camber were my top choices. They both road very similarly, and have similar geometry the chainstay is 2mm diff, and bottom bracket height is 3mm diff, and there head angles at 69.8 for the RF and 70 for the camber. The ride is slack enough to not be twitchy but still steep enough to be responsive and agile. The Specialized Camber has a longer reach by about .5 inch which is a plus for me, allowing for a size smaller giving more clearance. The suspension is what tilts it to the Rumblefish, the extra travel is appreciated and access to better component levels at a reasonable price on a aluminum frame seals the deal. The pro comes with full XT and better shocks than the elite which has a SLX/XT mix. If I get a chance I would like to try the Salsa Horsethief and Tomac Diplomat.

The Specialized Stumpjumper has slacker angles with a head angle at 69 and also has more travel. The Scott Genius and lenzsport Mammoth looks similar, but I have not tried them. To get a higher level component package with the Stumpjumper requires going carbon.

The XC Race bikes had head angles around 71 which seemed a bit quick for my liking. For the XC bikes, the Kona was less twitchy with a 70 degree head angle and has a new stiffer rear end for with a shorter chainstay for 2013, and the khs was not a race bike.

Looking over warranty information where the XC/ Trail and Trail/ All Mountain bikes are classification 4 the XC Race and XC bikes are rated as classification 3 which stipulate the bike rarely leaving the ground. :\ Class 5 is north shore/big air and class 4 is some jumps, so, when they rate a bike class 3 and talk about not jumping and staying on the ground I think that's what they mean. I could not find Niner's listing or warranty information
    Last edited by 7stg; 09-23-2012 at 12:29 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've had my '13 Rumblefish elite for a few days now! And I love it! It does everything my old fuel did, but climbs better!

Here's a pic of the elite color, I was worried online. But in person it looks great! Sorry the pic isn't great! I'll add another soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 rumblefish-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Are the hubs green too?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Trek EX8 blue/white

mtbr member
    May 2012
    No the hubs are just black.

The bike is loads of in though, it just carries through everything! Thought I'd post one more pic. It's not much better, but it shows more of the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 rumblefish-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    not sure if i like the green part of the colour but the bike looks very good

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm really leaning toward the RF elite. I like the suspension components and dropper post on the pro, but It's really a bit out of my price range.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post
    I'm really leaning toward the RF elite. I like the suspension components and dropper post on the pro, but It's really a bit out of my price range.
    Yea.. It was a bit out of my range as well. And the SLX components perform really well!
    A KS LEV will end up being my first upgrade...

Also the redesigned Bontrager 29-3 tires are great! I'm a huge fan of Bontrager tires, the 29-4 is a great front tire and these 3's are basically the 29-4 with less tread. They stick real well and roll fast as well! But as winter gets closer I'll probably throw the 29-4 upfront for better traction in the degrading conditions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Anyone know if the rumblefish is at the cycle show in the UK this weekend?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It's hard to justify the Pro over the Elite... you can easily buy a dropper post for less and I'm not really sure there's a performance reason for XT over SLX (although the Elite crank is lame).

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hey guys, anyone know the stem length and bar width on the 2013 fish?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    On the 17.5 RF Elite

Stem: 60mm

Bars: 720mm wide

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Demoed about 5 bikes today and the RF pro was the one I.liked the most. The elite is more in my price range though. Is there really $1200 difference between the 2?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I think technically closer to $1100. The Pro primarily gets you a dropper post, fancy coating on the shock, more xt parts--especially crank, slightly better wheels. I think the Elite is a better value.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MarvinK View Post
    I think technically closer to $1100. The Pro primarily gets you a dropper post, fancy coating on the shock, more xt parts--especially crank, slightly better wheels. I think the Elite is a better value.
    $1250 is the difference in msrp. But yeah, it seems like you get a lot more bang for the buck with the elite. I do want a dropper post though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    OK, finally got around to uploading some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 rumblefish-rumbly_main.jpg  

2013 rumblefish-rumbly_stem.jpg  

2013 rumblefish-rumbly_shock.jpg  

2013 rumblefish-rumbly_seatpost.jpg  

2013 rumblefish-rumbly_der.jpg  

2013 rumblefish-rumbly_front.jpg  

2013 rumblefish-rumbly_kid.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My daughter is pretty sure it's her size... :P

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Bike looks great Marv. I thought the elite came with the standard xt rear mech but I see you have a shadow plus on there. Did it come standard or did you upgrade?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I worked out a deal with the local shop... I think it should come standard, but then... I also think it should come with tubeless-ready tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just ordered one of these. Is the xt shadow plus a worthwhile upgrade?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Only if you can get a sweet deal... it's nice because it basically eliminates chain slap, but probably no performance gain. If you ride a lot of rough stuff and want a quiet chain, it's worth it.

I think a dropper post (still trying to decide which one to get) and tubeless tires are better performance upgrades.
    Last edited by MarvinK; 10-19-2012 at 10:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I definitely want a dropper post. I didn't realize the rear deraileur wasn't the plus. Ill see how noisy it is first.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So I'm thinking about upgrading the wheels as my first upgrade to my '13 RF Elite. Just wanted to see what you all would recommend on this bike. Should I stick with the Bontrager TLR system or go to something like Stans or DT Swiss?

I want to go to a lighter wheel, but I want it to still be strong. Strength is the most important aspect, so I'm just looking for something stronger and lighter than the stock Duster wheels.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbcville View Post
    So I'm thinking about upgrading the wheels as my first upgrade to my '13 RF Elite. Just wanted to see what you all would recommend on this bike. Should I stick with the Bontrager TLR system or go to something like Stans or DT Swiss?

I want to go to a lighter wheel, but I want it to still be strong. Strength is the most important aspect, so I'm just looking for something stronger and lighter than the stock Duster wheels.

Any suggestions?
    just ride it and be happy,its a great bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I stuck with the Bontrager tires/wheels (upgraded to tubeless ready tires) on my EX8 and used Stans sealant. Works great!

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast