Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 rumblefish

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Most of the non-UST tires need a compressor to seat the bead initially. I was lucky enough to have a Schwalbe seal up without a compressor last night but it was mostly luck. Yes, some combos are a real pain in the ass to get to seat the bead. Any tubleless ready tire should work. Its mostly a technique thing to get the tire to seat/seal. Notubes has some good videos online that can help.
    2 wheels == True

Trips for Kids Denver
    I'm running a 2.4 Purgatory 2blis control up front and a 2.2 Captain 2blis Grid casing out back. Awesome
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Last sunday, I just dislocated my shoulder because the stock tires doesn't have the grip of my old HansDampf 26'', I really consider buying a Dampf 2.35 for the front and a Continental Trail king 2.25 for the rear.

I replaced the handlebar for a 760mm and a stem of 50mm.

My opinions of my RumbyPro after 200km of trails? I love my dual chamber shock, it simply rules! I like the fork but not as much as expected. I like having a drop-post, but it's new to me so I often forget to use it. The sad thing about this drop-post, I can't fit the handle to my left hand with the other handles. I found more convenient to pu it to the right. With the plastic OEM Trek strip, mounting the tires to tubeless was reallllllly fast.

I had a Giant anthem X3 2010 large, now it's a RumbyPro X-L. I'm 6'2'', 180-185, crosscountry/XC rider. I had the Giant Trance X0 in mind, but the local bikeshop made me a deal: 3750$ instead of the 4600MSRP in canada. I took the deal without try the bike Really satisfied for now!

For now, I keep the 3 chainring but I consider going to 1 to remove some weight. This bike is not light, compared to my 25 lbs Anthem.

For sake, don't listen to the reviews done on youtube by those amateur from 29eronline...

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincyboy View Post
    For sake, don't listen to the reviews done on youtube by those amateur from 29eronline...
    Why not? :-)

@ handlebar cluttering: You could try the Shimano I-spec brackets, it's been discussed in this topic before. Too bad Trek didn't spec them.
    Sent from my HAL 9000

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    why not??? After 20 min on the bike, I was capable of more than what they showed. When you do a review, it is because you know what you are talking about... right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    anybody else have any creaking noises coming from thier fish?

I have the elite, and I thought it was coming from the crank/bb area, but a while ago I had it on the stand wiping off the fork tubes and now I think it may be coming from the front end of the bike.

there's no play in the headset that I can feel or anything like that, but if I grab the bars and the front wheel and push them in opposite directions I can hear a creak noise. I haven't tried to tighten anything yet. is this typical of a stem being loose?

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    @Vincyboy

What didn't you like in the 29eronline review?
    Sent from my HAL 9000

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post
    anybody else have any creaking noises coming from thier fish?

I have the elite, and I thought it was coming from the crank/bb area, but a while ago I had it on the stand wiping off the fork tubes and now I think it may be coming from the front end of the bike.

there's no play in the headset that I can feel or anything like that, but if I grab the bars and the front wheel and push them in opposite directions I can hear a creak noise. I haven't tried to tighten anything yet. is this typical of a stem being loose?
    funny you mentioned this. i had two rides last Saturday in Canada. One long which was at Fanshawe Conservation Trail and the other short in a hiking trail in one of their Bike paths.

conditions where muddy and wet on my first (long) ride but the Rumblefish ate everything that was in its path.. so was happy and content on this ride.. later in the afternoon i noticed a "creaking/squealing" noise, but i was thinking this was from the front rotor probably with dried mud stuck and will ultimately loosen and dislodge as i ride...

the noise intervals widened as i rode and was hopeful itll totally go away after my ride... so i thought. just when i was loading up the bikes in the van as we were heading home, i heard the noise again... this time with no load!... i figured id just let it be as i expected us to be home late by 12mn... ill check again later when i get home and im hoping its nothing serious as the crank/bb...
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    for now, no noise.

dismount the fork from the bike, clean and apply new grease.

check for dust on the tru axle rod.

On my last bike, I had to dismount the bike 3 times per seasons (1 time every 800km).

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by de lars cuevas View Post
    @Vincyboy

What didn't you like in the 29eronline review?
    everything...

you agree with the review that they did?

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    Well... i can't say a lot about the weight thing. Though my bike is a big 21, it's got lighter everything, including the wheels. The weight of my bike didn't bother me on alpine traildays anyway. And it's efficient enough for long slimbs in the saddle.

My bike does not feel slow. But it's not an xc bike, that's for sure. I does feel like a lot of bike for smooth trails. Like i said, no XC material.

It's also not built specifically for jumping. If you're planning a 'jumping day' It's better to increase the pressure in the dampers to avoid bottoming too hard too often.

About cornering.. i'm still learning. It's a big, long bike. But it allways feels benign.

And i have to agree woth 29eronline: downhills are the bomb on this bike :-).

On part choice:
    Allthough never liked doubles because of the smaller bandwidth, I ditched the big ring after one yoar of riding, i now ride a 22-34 double with a 11-36 cassette. Suits the bike, looks badass :-)
    I also ride a 750mm handlebar now. Nice! :-)

ps: More of my thought's here (sorry, in Dutch only): Vrijdag Visdag: Review Trek Rumblefish Pro 2012
    Sent from my HAL 9000

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I love my 2012 RF Elite (stock is identical to the 2013 model). The stock wheels and tires are strong and capable - but as many have mentioned they're heavy.

Contrary to the 29eronline reviews, I absolutely LOVE this as a long-ride bike.

I did a few upgrades:

1. Wheels: Stan's Crest Rims (white) / American Classic Hubs / DT SuperComp Spokes
    2. Handbars: Bontrager RXL Carbon 720mm
    3. Seatpost: Syntace P6 HiFlex Carbon
    4. Crank: Shimano LX + swapped the 24t inner ring out for a 22t
    5. Tires: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35 w Snakeskin

Just swapping the stock tires out for Nobby Nics makes the bike noticeably faster. That was my first upgrade, and the difference is surprisingly fantastic. And with Nobby Nics you gain sidewall protection and a tubeless design.
    2013 rumblefish-imag5310.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ecobykr View Post

Just swapping the stock tires out for Nobby Nics makes the bike noticeably faster. That was my first upgrade, and the difference is surprisingly fantastic. And with Nobby Nics you gain sidewall protection and a tubeless design.

Attachment 798966
    For long days of trail riding my favorite is the Nobby Nic front / Racing Ralph rear combo. The Ralph rolls even faster and you won't notice any detriment while climbing, the biggest tradeoff with the less aggressive rear is just a little bit less braking power out back, but it's a good trade.

I also agree that the RF is an excellent bike for long days in the saddle on varying terrain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by evilsjg View Post
    For long days of trail riding my favorite is the Nobby Nic front / Racing Ralph rear combo. The Ralph rolls even faster and you won't notice any detriment while climbing, the biggest tradeoff with the less aggressive rear is just a little bit less braking power out back, but it's a good trade.

I also agree that the RF is an excellent bike for long days in the saddle on varying terrain.
    I've ridden & raced Racing Ralphs a lot, and fwiw another RR trade off is that Racing Ralphs wear more quickly. Nobby Nics are not super long lasting, but, since there's so much more knob to start with they have a longer useable life than Racing Ralphs.

NN in the front and a new RR in the rear is good. 2.35 NN front and rear is super confidence inspiring and leaves nothing to be desired - fast + great grip, volume and comfort.

I organize the Virginia Endurance Series Virginia Endurance Series of 40 to 80+ mile FREE backcountry mountain biking events, and I don't know of a better bike to enjoy rides like these on than the Rumblefish

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ecobykr View Post
    I've ridden & raced Racing Ralphs a lot, and fwiw another RR trade off is that Racing Ralphs wear more quickly. Nobby Nics are not super long lasting, but, since there's so much more knob to start with they have a longer useable life than Racing Ralphs.
    PahaSapaTrails.com | Blog | Tires for XC, Race or Enduro in the Black Hills

The Ralph pictured in that link had easily 1500 miles on it as a rear tire (probably closer to 2k), which is pretty good I think. I have heard about wear problems from others and I think terrain (soil/rock types, etc) and rider weight must be large factors. I find the useable tread life of all the Schwalbe's I have tried to be pretty good compared to other similar tires.

One thing I can say for sure though, nothing rides (weight/comfort/speed) as well as the SnakeSkin Schwalbe's that has comparable weight and durability. I nearly cry every time I have to pay retail for one, but I am soon reminded that they are worth every penny.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulX View Post
    The answer is the rim strips that come with the bike aren't tubeless ready .... despite what my LBS told me. Mr bapski is right!

I ordered the correct strips from Trek, part number 406892 and used the Stans valves that I bought earlier.

Rim strips just pop straight it - they are much tougher than I thought they'd be with a very defined groove which I guess makes the tyre sit in and seal.

Attachment 781406

Tyre on - measure of sealant in and pump it with the track pump. Tyre just popped straight on. Took about 10 mins per wheel.

Only thing now is I don't get to ride it again till at least Wednesday.
    Since the RF Elite comes with the duster wheels rather than the rhythm elite...would the dusters require the same part # strip?

I hate that name.
    Yes, same strip
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    Yes, same strip
    thanks, I might look into some nobby nic's and the rim strips soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    so since trek just announced a Fuel EX 29'er...is this the end of the rumblefish?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Not for me. I love mine but maybe

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    same here.... they cant fool me...
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My 2012 Elite, still enjoying her. Sorry for the bad image quality...

2013 rumblefish-2013-05-17_19-19-27_890.jpg2013 rumblefish-2013-05-17_19-19-56_874.jpg2013 rumblefish-2013-05-17_19-20-12_538.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Re: 2013 rumblefish

I ordered some upgrades last night. Shadow plus rear, and some xt cranks and cassette. I kind of wish I had splurged for the pro...but I'm still enjoying it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimsim View Post
    My 2012 Elite, still enjoying her. Sorry for the bad image quality...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-17_19-19-27_890.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	802962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-17_19-19-56_874.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	802963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-17_19-20-12_538.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	802964
    What chain guide are you using here and how does it work with the triple front? I just got a '13 RF elite and im interested in adding one of these.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    We were riding our local trails today and i came upon a santa cruz demo event. I rode a carbon Tallboy LTc with carbon wheels, fox kashima stuff, and XT goodies.

It was really light and a nice bike, but I was happy to get back on my fish at the end of the ride.

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast