Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 rumblefish

MTB B'dos
    Great thread, lots info, have a question for you guys, might have missed it as there's quite a few pages to this thread, so I'll apologise from now.... Has anyone had a chance to ride both the Pro and Elite on some proper trails and for some decent time and can you give thoughts on the shock and fork? What I'm interested in is if there's really a difference in the "Factory" and "Evolution" lines and is it something very and easily noticeable?

Besides the Factory vs Evolution, the only other big/real differences I'm seeing between the Elite and Pro are the dropper post and cassette and to a lesser extent the crankset. I'm thinking that if the shock/fork don't perform all that different, then a XT cassette can be had for <$70 and a dropper post for about $200-$250, no reason to drop the full extra $1220> for the Pro when $300 in upgrades will get you about there - I think SLX and XT are pretty damn close these days, especially for a less experienced rider. Crankset doesn't bother me as I've known people with the Deore crankset and besides being a bit heavier, they work well and last.

FYI, not asking for myself, for a few friends currently on HTs and looking to upgrade after getting the bug fairly bad because they enjoy it and they've dropped some substantial weight in the process.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The upgraded fork/shock seemed to me noticably smoother on the demo ride I was on. You also get better wheels with the pro vs elite. I did notice while riding the RF pro it would carry momentum better than the SF 100 AL Elite I rode just after it. The XT shifters do feel more crisp than the SLX. Probably because the levers are aluminum vs plastic. The only thing with the RF Pro like you said dropper post. IMO they should not put one on from the factory and just drop the price. But probably a newer rider would not notice the XT upgrades.

FYI this was on a demo event on actual trails for about 1 hour on the RF pro, SF 100 AL Elite, and Stache 8.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: 2013 rumblefish

Anyone upgrade their fish wheels? Do tell.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I almost did 2 days ago. Spoke to a guy in the shop about it. I was gonna go for Flow ex with hope pro 2 hubs. They would have been an upgrade but my rhythm elite wheels seem pretty good and fairly light so I just changed tyres to schwalbe hans dampfs. First ride on em later

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-TECH View Post
    Anyone upgrade their fish wheels? Do tell.
    I bought my '12 Pro without the wheels. Built me a set of Hope/ Supercomp/ Pacenti TL28.

Did this for weight, qualtity, and spare part availability. Oh, and bling off course, i even put these nice little green Hope stickers on them :-)

ps: Pics and palaver on my '12 Pro here . In last years trim, still with the 42 on, by the way.
    Last edited by de lars cuevas; 04-07-2013 at 09:15 AM.
    Sent from my HAL 9000

mtbr member
    I'm a tubeless addict, went with lighter Stans rims. Had put 6000 miles on the old Bontrager rims, was having issues with too much play in the hubs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 rumblefish-img_20130303_134035.jpg  

2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

I hate that name.
    I use 32 hole Duster rims laced to King hubs. All black, so not very fancy looking, but I like to move wheels around to different bikes and black goes with everything. I really like the Duster rims for weight and durability and ease of tubeless set up, I just prefer better engagement than Bonty hubs offer. And I'm not a Stan's fan. And as a side note, my rear King hub is about 7 years old. I overhaul the drive system every six months and use mineral oil (the Shimano brake fluid kind) to lube it. I did convert it to 142x12 a couple years back when that standard showed up.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

MTB B'dos
    Well, my friend went for the RF Elite and I helped him set it up and must say, quite impressed Didn't get to pedal it about the place and he only rides a 19" which is too small for me, but none the less felt pretty nice climbing the 10" high set of steps and going down them. Will say though, after owning an F34 with Kashima etc, the F32 on the Elite feels not very nice, very full of stiction, but with that lime green colour I highly doubt it's a fork that a shop would take on trade for a Kashima version
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    I use 32 hole Duster rims laced to King hubs. All black, so not very fancy looking, but I like to move wheels around to different bikes and black goes with everything. I really like the Duster rims for weight and durability and ease of tubeless set up, I just prefer better engagement than Bonty hubs offer. And I'm not a Stan's fan. And as a side note, my rear King hub is about 7 years old. I overhaul the drive system every six months and use mineral oil (the Shimano brake fluid kind) to lube it. I did convert it to 142x12 a couple years back when that standard showed up.
    I'm considering doing the same thing as I'd really like to get better engagement. I do plan to powder coat my dusters for some added pop though. I was originally going to by all new but after quite a bit of reading it seems there's not much to gain by changing the rims. Are the CK hubs heavier than the stock RF/Bontys?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Well, my friend went for the RF Elite and I helped him set it up and must say, quite impressed Didn't get to pedal it about the place and he only rides a 19" which is too small for me, but none the less felt pretty nice climbing the 10" high set of steps and going down them. Will say though, after owning an F34 with Kashima etc, the F32 on the Elite feels not very nice, very full of stiction, but with that lime green colour I highly doubt it's a fork that a shop would take on trade for a Kashima version
    I have the Elite and I've rode the Base model. Both had the stiction you described for the first few miles as the fork seals break in. After maybe 25-50 miles mine has been buttery smooth.

I hate that name.
    King hubs aren't as light as some other offerings, but probably a little lighter than the stock Bontrager hubs that Dusters get put on. Your biggest problem is going to be getting 28 hole King hubs to go with your stock RF Dusters. According to the website, they do offer them, but I've never seen them available through normal channels. Your dealer would probably have to get them direct from CK if at all. 32 hole Dusters can be had from Trek, but they're usually in short supply. My other set that are laced to Hopes originally came on my 2010 RF. The RF wheel spec changed to 28 spoke for 2011.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I'm pretty sure my dusters are 32 hole

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I'm pretty sure my dusters are 32 hole
    I stand corrected I went out to the garage and counted they are indeed 28 hole

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

I have the Elite and I've rode the Base model. Both had the stiction you described for the first few miles as the fork seals break in. After maybe 25-50 miles mine has been buttery smooth.
    I have the elite as well, and I was pretty unhappy with the fork initially, but it broke in just fine as well. I feel like the CTD is gimmicky though. I never use the descend setting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    one cold spring afternoon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 rumblefish-img_5146.jpg  

2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

MTB B'dos
    Thanks for the replies guys, good to know that it just needs to be broken in some, will let the other guys know.

Quote Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post
    I have the elite as well, and I was pretty unhappy with the fork initially, but it broke in just fine as well. I feel like the CTD is gimmicky though. I never use the descend setting.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Here's my fish with her new tyres fitted, they are great! 2013 rumblefish-image.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012

Does anyone have Chris King's on their Rumblefish?

I have the '13 RF elite and I'm about to buy the hubs for my new wheelset. I'm going with Chris King's, with Arch Ex or Wtb i23, just wanted some opinions on which color option to go with? I originally thought I'd go with the green hubs, but the Chris King green is not even close to the same color green on the '13 elite.

So I've been considering either the silver, pewter, or black. I still like the green, just not sure how it would look with the Trek green.

I know looks aren't that important, but when I'm spending this much on hubs I want them to look great!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by grundy1973;10I QUOTE
    Here's my fish with her new tyres fitted, they are great! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	237.5 KB 
ID:	788919
    I've said it before & I'll say it again, that's a fine looking bike you got there Grundy!
    It took a while for me to get used to the bigger wheels and the full bounce but I've now got my elite pretty much running just right, & how I survived without a dropper post I'll never know!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Quote Originally Posted by mtbcville View Post
    I have the '13 RF elite and I'm about to buy the hubs for my new wheelset. I'm going with Chris King's, with Arch Ex or Wtb i23, just wanted some opinions on which color option to go with? I originally thought I'd go with the green hubs, but the Chris King green is not even close to the same color green on the '13 elite.

So I've been considering either the silver, pewter, or black. I still like the green, just not sure how it would look with the Trek green.

I know looks aren't that important, but when I'm spending this much on hubs I want them to look great!

Thanks!
    I'm in a similar boat. I'm curious about the pewter.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm in a similar boat. I'm curious about the pewter.
    Yea, I think the pewter is on the top of my list right now, it's more interesting than black and will still go with most bikes if I switch them around. And these kings will outlast my Rumblefish. I also keep thinking about going with classic silver hub with silver spokes, but I'm not sure how well that would go with the rf elite.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I have kind of focused on bringing out the white in the Elite color scheme by going with white Answer handlebars, white Canfield pedals, and there is a small bit of white in my seat so I'm pretty sure I will be putting some white in my wheels. I have a friend that can powder coat my rims or maybe just a few of the spokes or I may leave the rims black and do all the spokes white

mtbr member
    I am planning on a new 29er FS and my main contender is a stumpjumper fsr evo but someone locally is selling a 13 rumblefish pro for 2,600 and I am thinking that is to good of a deal to pass up.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dubbaduba View Post
    I am planning on a new 29er FS and my main contender is a stumpjumper fsr evo but someone locally is selling a 13 rumblefish pro for 2,600 and I am thinking that is to good of a deal to pass up.

Any thoughts?

way too good of a deal that id jump on it right away.. just make sure everything is legit and in order..
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

passed out in your garden

Quote Originally Posted by dubbaduba View Post

Any thoughts?

If it really is a Pro, and all is legit, you cannot go past that deal.
    Jump on and ride it!!!!!
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast