Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 rumblefish

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulX View Post
    I've been away since Thursday and just checked my tyre - the pressure has held. Does this mean the original rim strip that came with it is OK and tubeless ready?

Also whats the deal with this little hole in the rim? It doesn't leak any sealant through it but just wondering why its there.
    likely so, but you may want to ride and test for sure. am not sure if ive seen a similar hole on my rims. will check it out later. which RF do you have again?
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

Kick Start My Heart

Re: 2013 rumblefish

Not really a hole. I had been told it's a wear indicator of sorts when you use rim brakes. When the rim wears to the depth of the hole, replace.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bapski View Post
    which RF do you have again?
    RFPro

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by davez26 View Post
    Not really a hole. I had been told it's a wear indicator of sorts when you use rim brakes. When the rim wears to the depth of the hole, replace.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Ok - thanks. The hole is both the front and rear rims so its obviously meant to be there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I went with the base model Rumblefish. I wasn't a big fan of the Elite colors, and the Pro was a little out of my budget. I'm happy with my purchase. Might be the only one on here with this model so far!?

2013 rumblefish-2013-rumblefish_small.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Moron626 View Post
    I went with the base model Rumblefish. I wasn't a big fan of the Elite colors, and the Pro was a little out of my budget. I'm happy with my purchase. Might be the only one on here with this model so far!?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013 Rumblefish_Small.jpg 
Views:	1625 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	780475
    looks awesome just the same.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Moron626 View Post

Name:	2013 Rumblefish_Small.jpg 
Views:	1625 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	780475
    Thats interesting, in Australia we dont get that model or the Elite,

Its the Pro only.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hey Moron626!
    ===========
    Your RF is beautiful, really really nice.
    I have the 2012 base RF.

Enjoy Your RF as much as you can

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    i may have found a solution to my earlier dillema. i use a THULE bike rack to transport my bikes. with the RF PRO's $300 Reverb seatpost i may damage the seatpost while it is being suspended on the bike rack using a YAKIMA tube adapter.
    contraption in action.

2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    likely so, but you may want to ride and test for sure. am not sure if ive seen a similar hole on my rims. will check it out later. which RF do you have again?
    The answer is the rim strips that come with the bike aren't tubeless ready .... despite what my LBS told me. Mr bapski is right!

I ordered the correct strips from Trek, part number 406892 and used the Stans valves that I bought earlier.

Rim strips just pop straight it - they are much tougher than I thought they'd be with a very defined groove which I guess makes the tyre sit in and seal.

2013 rumblefish-image.jpg

Tyre on - measure of sealant in and pump it with the track pump. Tyre just popped straight on. Took about 10 mins per wheel.

Only thing now is I don't get to ride it again till at least Wednesday.
    2013 Trek Rumblefish Pro
    2013 Specialized Carve Pro
    1991 Muddy Fox Courier

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The answer is the rim strips that come with the bike aren't tubeless ready .... despite what my LBS told me. Mr bapski is right!

I ordered the correct strips from Trek, part number 406892 and used the Stans valves that I bought earlier.

Rim strips just pop straight it - they are much tougher than I thought they'd be with a very defined groove which I guess makes the tyre sit in and seal.

Name:	Image.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	781406

Tyre on - measure of sealant in and pump it with the track pump. Tyre just popped straight on. Took about 10 mins per wheel.

Only thing now is I don't get to ride it again till at least Wednesday.
    yup thats the strip that i have.

hey, paul can you take a picture of how your handlebar is positioned please? i think mine is positioned a bit weird. its positioned with the curve of the bar towards me instead of it probably going upwards.

thanks.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    yup thats the strip that i have.

hey, paul can you take a picture of how your handlebar is positioned please? i think mine is positioned a bit weird. its positioned with the curve of the bar towards me instead of it probably going upwards.

thanks.
    Here you are..
    2013 rumblefish-image-2.jpg2013 rumblefish-image-3.jpg

I know my bell is not so cool but there are loads of walkers out and about on my trails.
    2013 Trek Rumblefish Pro
    2013 Specialized Carve Pro
    1991 Muddy Fox Courier

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Here you are..

Name:	Image 2.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	782442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 3.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	782443

I know my bell is not so cool but there are loads of walkers out and about on my trails.
    thanks man. this just confirms my handlebars were set differently. may need to adjust it as i think its positioned weird.

may have to get a torque wrench ? lol..
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by grundy1973 View Post
    Swapping out my 100 mm rhythm pro stem for a 70 mm 0 degree thomson elite x4 and picked up some rhythm pro carbon bars off eBay. Fitting tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.
    How are you getting on with that 70mm stem? only ask because I've noticed on the last few longer rides I've had that I may be over reaching and get a sore back. Thinking of a shorter stem just to bring the bars in a tad, and those Thompsons get good reviews.

Apart from that I LOVE this bike!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready805 View Post
    How are you getting on with that 70mm stem? only ask because I've noticed on the last few longer rides I've had that I may be over reaching and get a sore back. Thinking of a shorter stem just to bring the bars in a tad, and those Thompsons get good reviews.

Apart from that I LOVE this bike!!
    I changed back to the rhythm pro mate. I found the front end way to light for me and it annoyed me in 2 ways. Far to easy to wheelie on climbs and lack of traction on the downhills.

I certainly miss the look of the Thomson elite which really is a nice piece of kit. But I feel like I'm one with the bike with the 90mm one back on - flying

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    finally had some fun. rode with a buddy on snow covered and muddy trails with steep climbs, buddy had to dismount a couple of times while my BERTHA just climbed on.. lol..

ONLY inconvenience i had was how i would touch with my left foot the cable(as seen on the last shot) from the dropper seat behind the seatpost. SIMPLE FIX was to turn the seatpost clamp at about 180 deg. and inconvenience was remedied.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 rumblefish-img_5167.jpg  

2013 rumblefish-img_5164.jpg  

2013 rumblefish-img_5166.jpg  

2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I changed back to the rhythm pro mate. I found the front end way to light for me and it annoyed me in 2 ways. Far to easy to wheelie on climbs and lack of traction on the downhills.

I certainly miss the look of the Thomson elite which really is a nice piece of kit. But I feel like I'm one with the bike with the 90mm one back on - flying
    was thinking of swapping my EC90SL RISER BAR & EC90SL STEM from my SUPERFLY, good thing you posted..
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Ok thanks for the update. Haven't been able to ride lately anyway due to the snow. I'll try adjusting the seat slightly, and see if that makes a difference on the next ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Stoke View Post
    Hi guys, my first post.........

I did have a trek fuel ex 8 2010 (18.5) which got stolen, then got a cheap second hand top fuel carbon (18.5 inch) to get by until I found a new bike that suited. I looked around but never demo'd any bikes as the ones i wanted to try were never available.

I settled on the rumblefish elite 2013 (19inch) , im 6ft2 and it seems a perfect fit. im very happy with the bike and it seems to fit most types of riding if your happto to flick between the different suspention modes.

a few things i'd like to mention.

On my first ride I was less than impressed with the suspension. It seems going off the recommended settings made the back to stiff and front too soft. I dropped 15psi out of the back, put 10psi extra in the front, slightly ajusted the rebound and the bike came alive.

The supplied tyres are pretty good but tended to slip more id like on wet mud and rocks. I replaced these with Schwalbe Hans Dampf trailstar on the front, and the pacestar on the rear. these things are incredible and stick like s**t to a blanket !!!

I find myself switching between the different modes quite a lot to get the most from the bike, I really wish there was a remote already fitted and im in the process of getting this done by mojo.

The last point ....... in trail mode the bike feels great and your able to do fast downhill + uphil sections sections fine. switch into decent and its like floating on a magic carpet, possible to the point where it takes some of the fun out of the ride. The smile soon comes back when your having to brake and wait around for your friends to get out of the way as you fly past
    Ordered some schwalbe hans dampf's today for 55 for a set of trailstar and pace star from bike discount.de. Bargain much!

Looking forward to fitting them

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready805 View Post
    Ok thanks for the update. Haven't been able to ride lately anyway due to the snow. I'll try adjusting the seat slightly, and see if that makes a difference on the next ride.
    Tell me about it ready. I've not been on the bike for 4 weeks

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Anybody converted to a 2x10 yet? I've got the elite model and I've already tore up a bunch of the teeth on my big ring. I was thinking about just getting a bash guard, but wasn't sure if I should put a bigger middle ring on it or not.

Is the rumblefish prone to pedal bob if you were to put a 36t ring on instead of the 32 that it comes with?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

2013 rumblefish

Typing "trek rumble fish 2013" in YouTube should get you a couple of hits.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post
    Anybody converted to a 2x10 yet? I've got the elite model and I've already tore up a bunch of the teeth on my big ring. I was thinking about just getting a bash guard, but wasn't sure if I should put a bigger middle ring on it or not.

Is the rumblefish prone to pedal bob if you were to put a 36t ring on instead of the 32 that it comes with?
    I'm thinking of a 2 x 10 setup aswell Luke. Looking at getting a 38 26. I'm gonna ask my LBS for advice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

2013 Rumblefish Elite

Here's my ride with xx1 crank/xt shadow plus rear derailleur. Not even a hint of a dropped chain and the trails aren't exactly buffed around Austin.

Other modifications include:

XT cassette
    ESI grips
    Sunline V1 bars 711mm
    Sunline V1 AM stem 65mm
    Reverb dropper post
    WTB Silverado saddle

Weight is now 29.06 lbs according to Park scale (stock was 31.10 w/o pedals on same scale).

Next upgrade is either an Arch EX or Chinese carbon wheelset.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 rumblefish-img_1023.jpg  

Last edited by Deko; 04-01-2013 at 06:54 AM. Reason: forgot picture!

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    I ride a '12 Pro, with a triple XTR crank. I also found found out that a 42 is NOT a bash ring :-) .

I allready swapped the M980 24 for an M970 22, without problems.

Last weekend i removed the bing ring and changed the 32 to a Blackspire M980X 34. Without bash, but with the "kcnc xtr m980 conversion kit". Looks quite nice!

Lowered the standard Triple XT derailleur a few mm's: Front shifts are fine!

btw: I have a Shadow+ derailleur, and have yet to shorten the chain.

First ride in Nl yesterday: No noticable difference in bobbing yet, no dropped chains yet. We'll see what it does in the rougher stuff, but i think i'll be fine :-)
    Last edited by de lars cuevas; 04-02-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    Sent from my HAL 9000

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast