Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: 2013 rumblefish

passed out in your garden
    I dont have my original wheels anymore, both rooted after 18 months, Im 95kgs (in my birthday suit) though, that being said my new wheels are also not lasting, Im thinking in future that Stans Flows or Mavic SLRs are the way to try.

On a separate note, my BB is also rooted, been doing a lot of reading, Im I correct in thinking the BB is a BB92, and therefore the following:
    PRESS-IN MTB BOTTOM BRACKET FROM REAL WORLD CYCLING would fit?

Im a newb to BBs so Im also a little confused.

After the BB I need to find the steering head bearings.
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you remove the seals from your bb you can clean/flush it with Liquid Wrench until the grit it out. Work grease in until it is smooth. Replace the seals and go.
    That new bb will fit with the right tool to remove the old one and press it in. Your lbs has it.
    Angular contact bearings need more preload then for example a Hollowtech II plastic fixing bolt can provide when you tighten it on the non drive side. You need a metal fixing bolt from Wheels Manu. and the tool from Parks and make it very tight.

Thanks for the answer , I will see if cleaning makes it better.

Regarding the tools you mention, would they be:
    Press-Fit BB Removel Tool TL-BB13 | Workshop
    and
    Bottom Bracket Tool TL-BB12 | Workshop

I ask as I can purchase 2 of those BBs and the tools for less than the LBS charges to replace one BB. As of today I have 3 bikes that all have this size BB, so I need to start doing this stuff myself .

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Your lbs is up there on the pricing for this simple service.
    Yes, those are what you need.
    We installed mine with a little Permatex Ultra Black gasket silicone. If you later hear a creak it will mean you need to clean and grease the bearings. I've got the XD-15 and anticipate a very long life. For my model the single simple seal is easily removed with a small flat blade screwdriver and a quick pry. After flushing I use the seal to force grease into the bearing repeatedly to push out the old dirty grease which I wipe off the rear side of the bearing. Kinda slow but you don't have to do it often.

Re: 2013 rumblefish

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Your lbs is up there on the pricing for this simple service.
    Yes, those are what you need.
    They are up there in pricing, but l do live in Switzerland, so you get used to it.

Thanks for the info, l will still order all the parts, but will also try the clean out. One problem is our summer here was wet wet wet, and predictions of Autumn arent much better, so eventually l will need to replace at least 2 bbs

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You may get more time between bb servicing with marine grade waterproof bearing grease.

Re: 2013 rumblefish

Thanks again, l always used marine grease on my motorbikes, and was planning the same here.

Are you able to steer me in the right direction with steering head bearings, the three bikes are all the same as well.

Can you tell our LBS is a Trek dealer????

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    made a couple of upgrades to my fishy recently, and wondering if anyone has found any extremely wide green handlebars with a high rise?

I swapped to a set of silver alloy 780mm wide bars that have a small rise, and they feel great but I think I'd like even more rise, and would prefer the bars be green to match the bike a bit better

Swapped in a KS Lev eten dropper post, and I like it for the most part but it does return to full height quite slow, nbd though.

Also got rid of my 2 sided flat/spd pedals and fully committed to spd. I think the weight reduction from the pedal swap made up for the dropper post gain, hah!

2013 Trek/Gary Fisher Rumblefish Elite XXL/23"
    120mm 29er

2004 Santa Cruz Bullitt XL White
    170mm 26er

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112