mtbr member
    Aug 2006

2013 Remedy 9.8 & Monarch Plus RC3

Has anyone done this? Have spent a fair bit of time searching on the net with little luck, all I found was a video in youtube and asked the fella about of feedback, pending reply.

I understand RS has made the RT3 available to the Remedy but I would like to upgrade to the RC3 model available to he Slash only.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hey Iguana,

Both the mounting points and shock size are completely different from the Remedy to the Slash, there's not way the Monarch+ from the Slash will fit.

What type of riding do you do? And why do you specifically want the Plus? I got the RT3 on my Remedy and I love it. I'm not a super aggressive rider (don't have the skills yet), but I've taken the Remedy with the RT3 on lift serviced trails (Highland Mtn) and it completely impressed me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jester6578 View Post
    Hey Iguana,

Both the mounting points and shock size are completely different from the Remedy to the Slash, there's not way the Monarch+ from the Slash will fit.

What type of riding do you do? And why do you specifically want the Plus? I got the RT3 on my Remedy and I love it. I'm not a super aggressive rider (don't have the skills yet), but I've taken the Remedy with the RT3 on lift serviced trails (Highland Mtn) and it completely impressed me.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply Jester.

I am aware of the difference in shock size but looks like can be done as per this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI23LP7rvwA

This is not for me but for a friend who rides this bike. Riding we do is fairly aggressive AM type of riding including few DH tracks from time to time when we can pedal the rigs to the top.

I am sure the RT3 would be an improvement compared to the fox, but my mate has put the PLUSH spacers and service the shock recently which has improved the performance of the fox.

But an upgrade to the RC3 would be very nice if possible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Huh.

My guess is that it's not the same shock from the Slash. Rockshox does make a 7.85x2.25 RC3. Thinking back on swapping my own shock out, it might be possible to fit it in there. However, the suspension linkage would sit higher and I really don't know how it would affect performance. They may have been able to mess with it in order to get the eye-eye length right, but I don't know if it would be the same stroke length at that point.

I found the same bike here as well: Trek Remedy 9 650b enduro edition - yakbiker75's Bike Check - Vital MTB

If you find out, I'd be interested to hear what he did and how it worked out.

Did your friend get it serviced by Fox? Or tuned by another company? Getting it tuned/modified by a third party might be the easiest/best thing to do.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jester6578 View Post
    However, the suspension linkage would sit higher and I really don't know how it would affect performance. They may have been able to mess with it in order to get the eye-eye length right, but I don't know if it would be the same stroke length at that point
    That is exactly what I am thinking. However, looking at the specs of the bike (good find btw), the shock has been tuned so that perhaps might assist to improve any performance issues?

I would think any issues would only be noticeable ascending and not descending.

I will message the fella via VitalMTB as well and see what other information he can share.

No tuning to the fox, just the spacer and a good service. He is not interested in turning when there is a possibility to use the same money for a better shock, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for your help so far!