mtbr member

2013 Fuel EX 9 or 2012 Remedy 9

I mostly ride technical descends (full of roots,steepy,rocky,narrow terrain but with no drops or jumps that big)
    so I'll move to a FS bike from 2012 Trek 8000 HT.

Since new Fuel EX series now moves to 130mm travel, I thought it would be also an option.
    What do you think?

mtbr member
    I would say even with the increased travel I would still go with the Remedy. The geometry of that bike is more geared towards what you are describing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I agree with Britishnate. If you're trails are technical - get the Remedy!

Last year I considered 2012 Remedy 7 Vs 2012 Fuel ex 8, and ended up with a 2012 Rumblefish

Superb bike for techi singletracks, uphill, DOWNHILL, jumps and just about anything else. 120 mm suspension + big wheels can get you anywhere.

Mo.

passed out in your garden
    no opinion on the thread matter, sorry, not qualified to answer

Quote Originally Posted by mo6500 View Post
    and ended up with a 2012 Rumblefish

Superb bike for techi singletracks, uphill, DOWNHILL, jumps and just about anything else. 120 mm suspension + big wheels can get you anywhere.

Mo.
    I hear ya there mate
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    i'd go the Remedy. I've owned both bikes and the Remedy will do better for what you describe.
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Had a 09 8000 and now have a EX. Going uphill will feel really awkward coming off the ht to the remedy

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    had a 06 Fuel for a year then went with a 11 Rumblefish, then went back to a 26in 12 Remedy 9. What your discribing remedy is the way to go, climbs very well for the big suspension so more is better.

mtbr member
    My only concern is, can I do the same things with Fuel EX 9, what I plan to do with Remedy 9?

My local trails are technical, but maybe it's technical for me, once I got more familiar with the tracks, I can do easliy with Fuel EX.
    Or some other talented riders can do them without Remedy too.
    Besides, currently I'm hitting with my HT now those tracks, which isn't fair and I don't feel confidendt but I'm getting experienced.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The new fuel is very trail worthy. Most people will never need the extra travel of the remedy for trail riding as suspension has come so far 5" is the new 6" .Furthermore, the new geo on the fuel is a little more progressive in my opinion. Best case try to get a demo ride on both bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Without any big drops or jumps the EX is your bike to have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I rode both 2012 Remedy 8 and 2012 Fuel EX8 on TREK's demo day last March.

From what I'v noticed, although the Remedy has more travel (6" Vs 5"), it climbes as well as the Fuel, and once you get to the top the Remedy is an excellent decender, and does it better than the Fuel.

The Remedy is also cleaning techi sections easier than the Fuel, and that extra 1" travel makes the bike solid and stable. overall I felt more confidence on the Remedy when the trail got rough and when it was time to go downhill.

So if your trails are techi then go and get the Remedy!
    For your type of riding the Remedy would be a win-win bike: you'r not gonna sacrifice any climbing ability, and yet gain a better downhill and techi trails handling.

Mo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mo6500 View Post
    I rode both 2012 Remedy 8 and 2012 Fuel EX8 on TREK's demo day last March.

From what I'v noticed, although the Remedy has more travel (6" Vs 5"), it climbes as well as the Fuel, and once you get to the top the Remedy is an excellent decender, and does it better than the Fuel.

The Remedy is also cleaning techi sections easier than the Fuel, and that extra 1" travel makes the bike solid and stable. overall I felt more confidence on the Remedy when the trail got rough and when it was time to go downhill.

So if your trails are techi then go and get the Remedy!
    For your type of riding the Remedy would be a win-win bike: you'r not gonna sacrifice any climbing ability, and yet gain a better downhill and techi trails handling.

Mo.
    Not apples to apples. The 2013 fuel has .5" lower bb than 2012 (amongst other geo changes) which puts it substantially lower than the remedy, 130mm of travel, and a different leverage ratio. Got 2 rides in on a 2013 fuel (own a remedy) now, and frankly don't see the point of the remedy. If your trails are that burly get a scratch. Otherwise, for trail riding, the fuel is the hot bike on the market right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

sorry slightly off-topic...

Quote Originally Posted by bkreyche View Post
    had a 06 Fuel for a year then went with a 11 Rumblefish, then went back to a 26in 12 Remedy 9. What your discribing remedy is the way to go, climbs very well for the big suspension so more is better.
    As a Remedy owner that's eyeballing a rumblefish-- I have to ask, what made you go from the RF back to the remedy?

I really like the remedy but wonder if a rumblefish wouldn't be a faster bike on the smooth stuff, due to the larger wheels... I'm 5'11"

By the way, I've done 40mi rides on my remedy, even raced it once at an XC event... sure it's not as fast as my race bike, but it isn't slow... and I've got it anglesetted out to a 66deg HA. It eats techy DH for lunch.

Thanks for insight!

mtbr member
    They really seem to be close bikes... until you actually push the remedy. It really enables you to do alot more. It's amazing how well it pedals, but seriously opens up when you push it.

I've owned the fuel and ridden the remedy for about 6 hours.
    If its close, go with the remedy.

All other reasons aside its just cooler to have.