Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 93
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    47

    No good 2012 Trek Rig warrantee outcome

    I spoke to the Trek rep yesterday and he is not offering to refund the cost of the frame, however he is offering to send replacement parts that he says will fix the problem.

    I have a few issues with this.

    1. The replacement parts were supposed to be here last week.

    2. I have spoken to others including bike techs that say the replacement parts do not fix the problems completely.

    3. Trek has denied any knowledge of issues with the 2012 Rig and said that my case was the 1st they had heard about it. But yet so many others have had the same issues and I was informed that Trek is working on developing replacement parts to fix the problem, but apparently, according the their emails to me they have NO knowledge of anyone else having issues with the 2012 Rig. So I was blatantly LIED to by Trek about a defect in the frame design that could have put me in danger.

    To top everything off I informed the rep that I have heard of others with the same issue with the 2012 Rig getting a refund for the cost of the frame. He did acknowledge that they did that for 1 person and he said that it was only because it was extenuating circumstances, however he did not go into detail of what these extenuating circumstances were. He preceded to say “we did refund the cost of the frame to one individual in Tucson and now that person in BLABBING all over MTBR about it”

    I would like to say to Trek… MTBR is a review site for consumers to share information. So “BLABBING” on this site is kind of what it is intended for. I am sorry the “BLABBING” has conflicted with your agenda to produce low quality defective products and cover it up and deny it.

    Thanks Trek! I will never own or indorse your product.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigb73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    371
    Trek knows about this problem. Slam the dropout forward and get at White Industries Eno hub. It's a lot of money to fix such a stupid problem, but it should work. Guilt your dealer into helping you out.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Mine works fine...Just go to the hardware store and buy some new hardware,use over sized washers and clamp everything down

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    18
    What Rig? Are we talking about here?

  5. #5
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,999
    Quote Originally Posted by 2dwn View Post
    What Rig? Are we talking about here?



    Rig's with sliders, some grade 8 hardware will solve the problem.

  6. #6
    I hate that name.
    Reputation: blunderbuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,440
    I've also heard that it can help to grind the paint off the mating surfaces.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by 2dwn View Post
    What Rig? Are we talking about here?
    We are talking about the 2012 Trek Rig. Not any of the years prior or any other models. It is the flat black model with red and blue designs.

    There are 4 issues I am having with the sliding dropouts.

    1. The tension bolts are bending under pressure.
    2. The slides are moving causing the chain to loosen.
    3. The axle in moving inside the dropout.
    4. Because of all the movement my skewer becomes loose during rides which could results in the rear wheel falling off.

    Things I have tried to fix the issues.

    1. Grinded the plates to allow better friction to stop the slides from moving.
    2. Used a stronger skewer.
    3. Had the bike shop tighten everything down to spec.
    4. Contacted Trek.

    Nothing has worked. Especially contacting Trek. Even if I go to the hardware store and beef up the bolts its not going to stop the axle from moving inside the dropouts. As you see above it is not just 1 issue, its is 4 issues.

    Other riders with this bike say that they have not had issues. That is great and I am happy for you. Another thing to consider is I am 6'2 220lbs and I ride hard. Needless to say I am bigger than your average rider and because of that I am putting more pounds of pressure on the cranks and resulting to more pull on the dropouts. This is why my issues are more extreme than others.

    The flaws in the frame design is not even the worst part, It is the way Trek denied the issues and lied to me about knowledge of the defective design. The really pathetic thing about all this is when I informed the Trek rep that I have spoken to others that have had the same issues and all the sudden he admits they are aware if it and working on a solution. Then he goes on to comment about how one individual is “BLABBING all over MTBR about it”. His words exactly.

    I have taken all the parts off of the Rig to build up a new bike. I have the Rig frame chilling in my garage and I am trying to decide what to do with it. Any suggestions? LOL

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigb73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    371
    The 2011 and the 2012 Rig frames are the same, just different paint. My boss tried everything Trek told him to do but the dropouts still moved. He's only about 175lbs. Trek replaced the frame with the new 2012 Superfly SS. Look for a frame with horizontal drops. I ride a Surly Karate Monkey and have never had an issue with the wheel slipping.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb73 View Post
    The 2011 and the 2012 Rig frames are the same, just different paint. My boss tried everything Trek told him to do but the dropouts still moved. He's only about 175lbs. Trek replaced the frame with the new 2012 Superfly SS. Look for a frame with horizontal drops. I ride a Surly Karate Monkey and have never had an issue with the wheel slipping.
    Did your boss pay the $2000 difference between the two frames?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by pete123steph@msn.com View Post
    We are talking about the 2012 Trek Rig. Not any of the years prior or any other models. It is the flat black model with red and blue designs.

    There are 4 issues I am having with the sliding dropouts.

    1. The tension bolts are bending under pressure.
    2. The slides are moving causing the chain to loosen.
    3. The axle in moving inside the dropout.
    4. Because of all the movement my skewer becomes loose during rides which could results in the rear wheel falling off.

    Things I have tried to fix the issues.

    1. Grinded the plates to allow better friction to stop the slides from moving.
    2. Used a stronger skewer.
    3. Had the bike shop tighten everything down to spec.
    4. Contacted Trek.

    Nothing has worked. Especially contacting Trek. Even if I go to the hardware store and beef up the bolts its not going to stop the axle from moving inside the dropouts. As you see above it is not just 1 issue, its is 4 issues.

    Other riders with this bike say that they have not had issues. That is great and I am happy for you. Another thing to consider is I am 6'2 220lbs and I ride hard. Needless to say I am bigger than your average rider and because of that I am putting more pounds of pressure on the cranks and resulting to more pull on the dropouts. This is why my issues are more extreme than others.

    The flaws in the frame design is not even the worst part, It is the way Trek denied the issues and lied to me about knowledge of the defective design. The really pathetic thing about all this is when I informed the Trek rep that I have spoken to others that have had the same issues and all the sudden he admits they are aware if it and working on a solution. Then he goes on to comment about how one individual is “BLABBING all over MTBR about it”. His words exactly.

    I have taken all the parts off of the Rig to build up a new bike. I have the Rig frame chilling in my garage and I am trying to decide what to do with it. Any suggestions? LOL
    I think alot of the problems out in the western area are the trek "rep". He really makes it hard to be a customer. I think telling other customers about other customers "blabbing" on the internet is not very professional at all. Never once for the year that I was having problems with my bike was I offered a replacement "upgrade" frame. Instead I was insulted over the phone and face to face by this "rep".I finally raised the white flag and said enough is enough, I WANT MY $$ BACK. This employee is giving trek a bad name and I am glad other people are starting to see it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    47
    Just to post an update. I spoke with Trek again today and he said their engineers have developed a part the “might” fix the problem. I reminded him that it is actually 4 problems with the design defects on the 2012 Trek Rig (de de dee). The part he said would help keep the slides from slipping, but I reminded him that it won’t do anything about the axle moving inside the dropouts and the skewer coming loose. He offered to send the part out for me to try it to see if it works but I declined because I have already broken the Rig down to use the parts to build up a new frame.

    He said they are not willing to replace the frame, but he offered to send a Trek jersey and some bontrager tires. I chuckled as I said “I would not wear a Trek jersey after all this”. They can keep their cheap tires too.

    It has also been brought to my attention that the 2012 Trek Marlin is the same exact frame as the Rig and there have been the same issues with Marlin as well. This review the persons wheel actually falls off. This has happened to myself and others with the Rig.

    Trek Marlin Single Speed 29er Hardtail Reviews

    Bottom line is this is a clear defect in the design and hardware on the 2012 Trek Rig and 2012 Trek Marlin. Trek is refusing to notify their customers of any defects which causes the rear wheel to loosen and fall off during a ride. They are still trying to deny it in till you call them out. I have spoken with an attorney who has handled and won cases against Trek in the past. Apparently this is not the 1st time Trek has been forced to recall and product.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    103
    The marlin is the same frame as the Rig? What about Mamba and Cobia?

    Only thing I see is the Rig says "sliding vertical dropouts".

    Just curious.............

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    12
    Always sucks to hear of these issues and even worse when the manufacturer denies these issues.
    Hope this gets resolved in some manner that you can accept.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    790
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull30 View Post
    The marlin is the same frame as the Rig? What about Mamba and Cobia?

    Only thing I see is the Rig says "sliding vertical dropouts".

    Just curious.............
    Totally different frame on those bikes. They don't even have sliding dropouts...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigb73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    Totally different frame on those bikes. They don't even have sliding dropouts...

    There is a Marlis SS that uses the same frame as the Rig

    Marlin Singlespeed - Trek Bicycle

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    749
    I had a similar issue with a 2010 Spec. Rock Hopper SS.
    No way to keep the chain tight and constant dropping. PITA
    Spec came through though and allowed me to pay the difference and upgrade to 2011 Stumpjumper SS.
    It uses an eccentric bottom bracket with pinch bolts and has been my main bike for the last year.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,275
    OP thanks for the info......I will stay clear from Trek next time I need to buy a bike and will tell all my friends about this issue.......unfortunately, losing business is really the only thing that can get certain companies to "put the customer first" : )

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    103
    Your first post says emails. Emails sometime work. Your more recent post says you "spoke" with a rep. Was this via phone or email? In person or phone is always better. Ask for a manager or someone in charge. I have had experiences with bad sales "reps" and always got the name and went to a manager or asked to speak to a supervisor.

    Also, on your comment about "He offered to send the part out for me to try it to see if it works but I declined because I have already broken the Rig down to use the parts to build up a new frame. "

    I would take it and try it. If not that's a loss on your part because you gave up and are now building a new ride with parts. At least this guy (who may be low totem pole) tried to offer a solution. If that didnt work then i would get back on the phone and ask for head honcho, be polite and tell him what the problem is. If you cant get head honcho on the phone ask for his email. You can get it. Ill even help you if you cant...

    Many companies have recalls on products and offer the part to fix it..if the part fixes the problem and isnt some odd strange thing other than a few washers/bolts etc like other people mentioned I say go with it. Why buy a new frame over a free part?...I realize you are pissed and I dont mean to stir the pot, but there has gotta be numerous Rig users complaining about this if there is indeed a serious problem..

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull30 View Post
    Your first post says emails. Emails sometime work. Your more recent post says you "spoke" with a rep. Was this via phone or email? In person or phone is always better. Ask for a manager or someone in charge. I have had experiences with bad sales "reps" and always got the name and went to a manager or asked to speak to a supervisor.

    Also, on your comment about "He offered to send the part out for me to try it to see if it works but I declined because I have already broken the Rig down to use the parts to build up a new frame. "

    I would take it and try it. If not that's a loss on your part because you gave up and are now building a new ride with parts. At least this guy (who may be low totem pole) tried to offer a solution. If that didnt work then i would get back on the phone and ask for head honcho, be polite and tell him what the problem is. If you cant get head honcho on the phone ask for his email. You can get it. Ill even help you if you cant...

    Many companies have recalls on products and offer the part to fix it..if the part fixes the problem and isnt some odd strange thing other than a few washers/bolts etc like other people mentioned I say go with it. Why buy a new frame over a free part?...I realize you are pissed and I dont mean to stir the pot, but there has gotta be numerous Rig users complaining about this if there is indeed a serious problem..
    Yes I have spoken with Trek via email and over the phone, I have worked my way up the chain of command, I’ve already been waiting 5 weeks for parts that were supposed to arrive in one week (the parts don’t even fix the problem). After emailing Trek and working with my LBS I spoke to the regional Trek Rep and informed him that others have had this issue and posted on MTBR. He went on a rant about one customer and how that person was a pain to deal with. He even told me the city that customer lives in and said “we offered a refund to him and now he is BLABBING all over MTBR about it”! After that I took the issue back to Trek corporate and sent and email with links to all the threads about these issues and also about the conversation with the regional Trek Rep.

    So yes, I gave up LOL. They don’t have a solution that is guaranteed to fix the problems. There are other posts from riders that Trek sent out multiple frames with different hardware kits that didn’t work. Trek Just needs to do a recall and offer either a refund or a different frame to customers.

    Its sad that Gary Fishers name and reputation is being destroyed by Trek. I have not heard of major issues with the Rig from before Treks name was all over it.

    My issue is not that there is a defective design with the frame. That I could deal with if Trek was willing to handle it in a better manner. My issue is that Trek is denying any knowledge of it and they blatantly lied to me about it. They are aware of the defective design that has causes the rear wheel to fly off the bike and they are making no effort to notify riders or do any kind of a recall. Instead their Reps are complaining that people are BLABBING on MTBR about it. Does that sound like a good company that stands behind their product? I think not!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    103
    Yeah then I agree. If you exhausted all points of contact and got blown off then thats not cool. Id be mad too. Hopefully other people report the issue and they change there solution and it gets handled to everyones satisfaction.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by pete123steph@msn.com View Post

    Its sad that Gary Fishers name and reputation is being destroyed by Trek. I have not heard of major issues with the Rig from before Treks name was all over it.
    I just passed the three month mark in my wait for a replacement frame for my broken 2010 Rig. Trek tried to replace it with a Marlin frame. Call me shallow but why should I accept a frame for a bike that's $600 as-opposed-to the $1,200 version that I purchased? Also, there's an economic issue if I try to sell the bike.

    I'm not sure if it's the North Carolina Trek rep that is horrible with customer service or Trek in general. Either way, waiting for three months for some kind of resolution is ridiculous. However, given the comments above, perhaps I should be happy to wait for the 2013 frame to come out.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigpete61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    168
    I have had the opposite experience. I think the biggest problem for the OP is that his LBS is not dealing with the problem. I have owned treks for the last 12 years and have delt with warranty problems 3-4 times. Every time my LBS took care of everything. My last experience was with a 2010 Fuel EX 9 that had a bad head tube. Trek did not have any aluminum frames in stock, so they sent me a 2011 fuel ex 9.9. My LBS has always gone up to bat for me. There's no reason why the OP should be dealing with this on his own.
    Last edited by bigpete61; 12-13-2011 at 10:51 PM.
    Get out there and ride!

  23. #23
    Levi Early
    Reputation: Levi707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    221
    Sounds like you got a shitty rep. When I was working for a shop that dealt with trek, we had an awesome warranty rep. we never had any issues whatsoever submitting warranty claims for customers bikes. they either got the same frame or an upgrade. one of the last warranties i did for a customer was a chipped piece of carbon on his front der mount from a crash on his remedy 9.7. they sent out a replacement frame.... remedy 9.9 at no cost. So it really is not trek as a company, it is just the rep that you dealt with. some are good, some are shitty.

  24. #24
    TCW
    TCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    472
    Wait, the wheel can actually come off as you ride because of this latent defect? Wow, death potential, neat. That's some hardcore mountain biking, willing to risk it all. Good luck, hope Trek steps up and fixes this problem.

  25. #25
    At Work
    Reputation: sxr-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,497
    I am going to agree with some of the comments above. Sounds more like the LBS is not doing their part. They have more pull with CS than any one customer.
    2009 Titus FTM

    2009 Gary Fisher Rig

    1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-21-2013, 02:49 AM
  2. Replies: 61
    Last Post: 10-11-2012, 10:46 PM
  3. 2012 Trek Wahoo VS. 2012 Specialized Hardrock
    By smoothie7 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 10:31 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-08-2012, 04:54 PM
  5. 2012 trek slash 9 vs 2012 remedy 9.8 or 9
    By Demorider in forum Trek
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 01-19-2012, 11:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •