• 11-30-2011
    pete123steph@msn.com
    2012 Trek Rig warrantee outcome
    I spoke to the Trek rep yesterday and he is not offering to refund the cost of the frame, however he is offering to send replacement parts that he says will fix the problem.

    I have a few issues with this.

    1. The replacement parts were supposed to be here last week.

    2. I have spoken to others including bike techs that say the replacement parts do not fix the problems completely.

    3. Trek has denied any knowledge of issues with the 2012 Rig and said that my case was the 1st they had heard about it. But yet so many others have had the same issues and I was informed that Trek is working on developing replacement parts to fix the problem, but apparently, according the their emails to me they have NO knowledge of anyone else having issues with the 2012 Rig. So I was blatantly LIED to by Trek about a defect in the frame design that could have put me in danger.

    To top everything off I informed the rep that I have heard of others with the same issue with the 2012 Rig getting a refund for the cost of the frame. He did acknowledge that they did that for 1 person and he said that it was only because it was extenuating circumstances, however he did not go into detail of what these extenuating circumstances were. He preceded to say “we did refund the cost of the frame to one individual in Tucson and now that person in BLABBING all over MTBR about it”

    I would like to say to Trek… MTBR is a review site for consumers to share information. So “BLABBING” on this site is kind of what it is intended for. I am sorry the “BLABBING” has conflicted with your agenda to produce low quality defective products and cover it up and deny it.

    Thanks Trek! I will never own or indorse your product.
  • 11-30-2011
    bigb73
    Trek knows about this problem. Slam the dropout forward and get at White Industries Eno hub. It's a lot of money to fix such a stupid problem, but it should work. Guilt your dealer into helping you out.
  • 12-01-2011
    AMCAT
    Mine works fine...Just go to the hardware store and buy some new hardware,use over sized washers and clamp everything down
  • 12-01-2011
    2dwn
    What Rig? Are we talking about here?
  • 12-01-2011
    AZ
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 2dwn View Post
    What Rig? Are we talking about here?




    Rig's with sliders, some grade 8 hardware will solve the problem.
  • 12-01-2011
    blunderbuss
    I've also heard that it can help to grind the paint off the mating surfaces.
  • 12-01-2011
    pete123steph@msn.com
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 2dwn View Post
    What Rig? Are we talking about here?

    We are talking about the 2012 Trek Rig. Not any of the years prior or any other models. It is the flat black model with red and blue designs.

    There are 4 issues I am having with the sliding dropouts.

    1. The tension bolts are bending under pressure.
    2. The slides are moving causing the chain to loosen.
    3. The axle in moving inside the dropout.
    4. Because of all the movement my skewer becomes loose during rides which could results in the rear wheel falling off.

    Things I have tried to fix the issues.

    1. Grinded the plates to allow better friction to stop the slides from moving.
    2. Used a stronger skewer.
    3. Had the bike shop tighten everything down to spec.
    4. Contacted Trek.

    Nothing has worked. Especially contacting Trek. Even if I go to the hardware store and beef up the bolts its not going to stop the axle from moving inside the dropouts. As you see above it is not just 1 issue, its is 4 issues.

    Other riders with this bike say that they have not had issues. That is great and I am happy for you. Another thing to consider is I am 6'2 220lbs and I ride hard. Needless to say I am bigger than your average rider and because of that I am putting more pounds of pressure on the cranks and resulting to more pull on the dropouts. This is why my issues are more extreme than others.

    The flaws in the frame design is not even the worst part, It is the way Trek denied the issues and lied to me about knowledge of the defective design. The really pathetic thing about all this is when I informed the Trek rep that I have spoken to others that have had the same issues and all the sudden he admits they are aware if it and working on a solution. Then he goes on to comment about how one individual is “BLABBING all over MTBR about it”. His words exactly.

    I have taken all the parts off of the Rig to build up a new bike. I have the Rig frame chilling in my garage and I am trying to decide what to do with it. Any suggestions? LOL
  • 12-01-2011
    bigb73
    The 2011 and the 2012 Rig frames are the same, just different paint. My boss tried everything Trek told him to do but the dropouts still moved. He's only about 175lbs. Trek replaced the frame with the new 2012 Superfly SS. Look for a frame with horizontal drops. I ride a Surly Karate Monkey and have never had an issue with the wheel slipping.
  • 12-01-2011
    AZtrailer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bigb73 View Post
    The 2011 and the 2012 Rig frames are the same, just different paint. My boss tried everything Trek told him to do but the dropouts still moved. He's only about 175lbs. Trek replaced the frame with the new 2012 Superfly SS. Look for a frame with horizontal drops. I ride a Surly Karate Monkey and have never had an issue with the wheel slipping.

    Did your boss pay the $2000 difference between the two frames?
  • 12-01-2011
    AZtrailer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pete123steph@msn.com View Post
    We are talking about the 2012 Trek Rig. Not any of the years prior or any other models. It is the flat black model with red and blue designs.

    There are 4 issues I am having with the sliding dropouts.

    1. The tension bolts are bending under pressure.
    2. The slides are moving causing the chain to loosen.
    3. The axle in moving inside the dropout.
    4. Because of all the movement my skewer becomes loose during rides which could results in the rear wheel falling off.

    Things I have tried to fix the issues.

    1. Grinded the plates to allow better friction to stop the slides from moving.
    2. Used a stronger skewer.
    3. Had the bike shop tighten everything down to spec.
    4. Contacted Trek.

    Nothing has worked. Especially contacting Trek. Even if I go to the hardware store and beef up the bolts its not going to stop the axle from moving inside the dropouts. As you see above it is not just 1 issue, its is 4 issues.

    Other riders with this bike say that they have not had issues. That is great and I am happy for you. Another thing to consider is I am 6'2 220lbs and I ride hard. Needless to say I am bigger than your average rider and because of that I am putting more pounds of pressure on the cranks and resulting to more pull on the dropouts. This is why my issues are more extreme than others.

    The flaws in the frame design is not even the worst part, It is the way Trek denied the issues and lied to me about knowledge of the defective design. The really pathetic thing about all this is when I informed the Trek rep that I have spoken to others that have had the same issues and all the sudden he admits they are aware if it and working on a solution. Then he goes on to comment about how one individual is “BLABBING all over MTBR about it”. His words exactly.

    I have taken all the parts off of the Rig to build up a new bike. I have the Rig frame chilling in my garage and I am trying to decide what to do with it. Any suggestions? LOL

    I think alot of the problems out in the western area are the trek "rep". He really makes it hard to be a customer. I think telling other customers about other customers "blabbing" on the internet is not very professional at all. Never once for the year that I was having problems with my bike was I offered a replacement "upgrade" frame. Instead I was insulted over the phone and face to face by this "rep".I finally raised the white flag and said enough is enough, I WANT MY $$ BACK. This employee is giving trek a bad name and I am glad other people are starting to see it.
  • 12-06-2011
    pete123steph@msn.com
    Just to post an update. I spoke with Trek again today and he said their engineers have developed a part the “might” fix the problem. I reminded him that it is actually 4 problems with the design defects on the 2012 Trek Rig (de de dee). The part he said would help keep the slides from slipping, but I reminded him that it won’t do anything about the axle moving inside the dropouts and the skewer coming loose. He offered to send the part out for me to try it to see if it works but I declined because I have already broken the Rig down to use the parts to build up a new frame.

    He said they are not willing to replace the frame, but he offered to send a Trek jersey and some bontrager tires. I chuckled as I said “I would not wear a Trek jersey after all this”. They can keep their cheap tires too.

    It has also been brought to my attention that the 2012 Trek Marlin is the same exact frame as the Rig and there have been the same issues with Marlin as well. This review the persons wheel actually falls off. This has happened to myself and others with the Rig.

    Trek Marlin Single Speed 29er Hardtail Reviews

    Bottom line is this is a clear defect in the design and hardware on the 2012 Trek Rig and 2012 Trek Marlin. Trek is refusing to notify their customers of any defects which causes the rear wheel to loosen and fall off during a ride. They are still trying to deny it in till you call them out. I have spoken with an attorney who has handled and won cases against Trek in the past. Apparently this is not the 1st time Trek has been forced to recall and product.
  • 12-06-2011
    pitbull30
    The marlin is the same frame as the Rig? What about Mamba and Cobia?

    Only thing I see is the Rig says "sliding vertical dropouts".

    Just curious.............
  • 12-07-2011
    shottothedome
    Always sucks to hear of these issues and even worse when the manufacturer denies these issues.
    Hope this gets resolved in some manner that you can accept.
  • 12-07-2011
    GTR-33
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pitbull30 View Post
    The marlin is the same frame as the Rig? What about Mamba and Cobia?

    Only thing I see is the Rig says "sliding vertical dropouts".

    Just curious.............

    Totally different frame on those bikes. They don't even have sliding dropouts...
  • 12-07-2011
    bigb73
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    Totally different frame on those bikes. They don't even have sliding dropouts...


    There is a Marlis SS that uses the same frame as the Rig

    Marlin Singlespeed - Trek Bicycle
  • 12-07-2011
    Surfdog93
    I had a similar issue with a 2010 Spec. Rock Hopper SS.
    No way to keep the chain tight and constant dropping. PITA
    Spec came through though and allowed me to pay the difference and upgrade to 2011 Stumpjumper SS.
    It uses an eccentric bottom bracket with pinch bolts and has been my main bike for the last year.
  • 12-07-2011
    osmarandsara
    OP thanks for the info......I will stay clear from Trek next time I need to buy a bike and will tell all my friends about this issue.......unfortunately, losing business is really the only thing that can get certain companies to "put the customer first" : )
  • 12-07-2011
    pitbull30
    Your first post says emails. Emails sometime work. Your more recent post says you "spoke" with a rep. Was this via phone or email? In person or phone is always better. Ask for a manager or someone in charge. I have had experiences with bad sales "reps" and always got the name and went to a manager or asked to speak to a supervisor.

    Also, on your comment about "He offered to send the part out for me to try it to see if it works but I declined because I have already broken the Rig down to use the parts to build up a new frame. "

    I would take it and try it. If not that's a loss on your part because you gave up and are now building a new ride with parts. At least this guy (who may be low totem pole) tried to offer a solution. If that didnt work then i would get back on the phone and ask for head honcho, be polite and tell him what the problem is. If you cant get head honcho on the phone ask for his email. You can get it. Ill even help you if you cant...

    Many companies have recalls on products and offer the part to fix it..if the part fixes the problem and isnt some odd strange thing other than a few washers/bolts etc like other people mentioned I say go with it. Why buy a new frame over a free part?...I realize you are pissed and I dont mean to stir the pot, but there has gotta be numerous Rig users complaining about this if there is indeed a serious problem..
  • 12-08-2011
    pete123steph@msn.com
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pitbull30 View Post
    Your first post says emails. Emails sometime work. Your more recent post says you "spoke" with a rep. Was this via phone or email? In person or phone is always better. Ask for a manager or someone in charge. I have had experiences with bad sales "reps" and always got the name and went to a manager or asked to speak to a supervisor.

    Also, on your comment about "He offered to send the part out for me to try it to see if it works but I declined because I have already broken the Rig down to use the parts to build up a new frame. "

    I would take it and try it. If not that's a loss on your part because you gave up and are now building a new ride with parts. At least this guy (who may be low totem pole) tried to offer a solution. If that didnt work then i would get back on the phone and ask for head honcho, be polite and tell him what the problem is. If you cant get head honcho on the phone ask for his email. You can get it. Ill even help you if you cant...

    Many companies have recalls on products and offer the part to fix it..if the part fixes the problem and isnt some odd strange thing other than a few washers/bolts etc like other people mentioned I say go with it. Why buy a new frame over a free part?...I realize you are pissed and I dont mean to stir the pot, but there has gotta be numerous Rig users complaining about this if there is indeed a serious problem..

    Yes I have spoken with Trek via email and over the phone, I have worked my way up the chain of command, I’ve already been waiting 5 weeks for parts that were supposed to arrive in one week (the parts don’t even fix the problem). After emailing Trek and working with my LBS I spoke to the regional Trek Rep and informed him that others have had this issue and posted on MTBR. He went on a rant about one customer and how that person was a pain to deal with. He even told me the city that customer lives in and said “we offered a refund to him and now he is BLABBING all over MTBR about it”! After that I took the issue back to Trek corporate and sent and email with links to all the threads about these issues and also about the conversation with the regional Trek Rep.

    So yes, I gave up LOL. They don’t have a solution that is guaranteed to fix the problems. There are other posts from riders that Trek sent out multiple frames with different hardware kits that didn’t work. Trek Just needs to do a recall and offer either a refund or a different frame to customers.

    Its sad that Gary Fishers name and reputation is being destroyed by Trek. I have not heard of major issues with the Rig from before Treks name was all over it.

    My issue is not that there is a defective design with the frame. That I could deal with if Trek was willing to handle it in a better manner. My issue is that Trek is denying any knowledge of it and they blatantly lied to me about it. They are aware of the defective design that has causes the rear wheel to fly off the bike and they are making no effort to notify riders or do any kind of a recall. Instead their Reps are complaining that people are BLABBING on MTBR about it. Does that sound like a good company that stands behind their product? I think not!
  • 12-08-2011
    pitbull30
    Yeah then I agree. If you exhausted all points of contact and got blown off then thats not cool. Id be mad too. Hopefully other people report the issue and they change there solution and it gets handled to everyones satisfaction.
  • 12-11-2011
    pelliot
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pete123steph@msn.com View Post

    Its sad that Gary Fishers name and reputation is being destroyed by Trek. I have not heard of major issues with the Rig from before Treks name was all over it.

    I just passed the three month mark in my wait for a replacement frame for my broken 2010 Rig. Trek tried to replace it with a Marlin frame. Call me shallow but why should I accept a frame for a bike that's $600 as-opposed-to the $1,200 version that I purchased? Also, there's an economic issue if I try to sell the bike.

    I'm not sure if it's the North Carolina Trek rep that is horrible with customer service or Trek in general. Either way, waiting for three months for some kind of resolution is ridiculous. However, given the comments above, perhaps I should be happy to wait for the 2013 frame to come out.
  • 12-11-2011
    bigpete61
    I have had the opposite experience. I think the biggest problem for the OP is that his LBS is not dealing with the problem. I have owned treks for the last 12 years and have delt with warranty problems 3-4 times. Every time my LBS took care of everything. My last experience was with a 2010 Fuel EX 9 that had a bad head tube. Trek did not have any aluminum frames in stock, so they sent me a 2011 fuel ex 9.9. My LBS has always gone up to bat for me. There's no reason why the OP should be dealing with this on his own.
  • 12-12-2011
    Levi707
    Sounds like you got a ****ty rep. When I was working for a shop that dealt with trek, we had an awesome warranty rep. we never had any issues whatsoever submitting warranty claims for customers bikes. they either got the same frame or an upgrade. one of the last warranties i did for a customer was a chipped piece of carbon on his front der mount from a crash on his remedy 9.7. they sent out a replacement frame.... remedy 9.9 at no cost. So it really is not trek as a company, it is just the rep that you dealt with. some are good, some are ****ty.
  • 12-12-2011
    TCW
    Wait, the wheel can actually come off as you ride because of this latent defect? Wow, death potential, neat. That's some hardcore mountain biking, willing to risk it all. Good luck, hope Trek steps up and fixes this problem.
  • 12-13-2011
    sxr-racer
    I am going to agree with some of the comments above. Sounds more like the LBS is not doing their part. They have more pull with CS than any one customer.
  • 12-13-2011
    pete123steph@msn.com
    The LBS did all they could. They were unsatisfied with how Trek is handling it. I would not expect the LBS to do anymore than they have. It is not their fault that Trek released a defective bike and it is not their fault that Trek hasn’t done anything to make it right. LBS’s are struggling as it is competing with online stores and I would not expect them to take a loss because Trek wont back up their product.
  • 12-14-2011
    GTR-33
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pete123steph@msn.com View Post
    The LBS did all they could. They were unsatisfied with how Trek is handling it. I would not expect the LBS to do anymore than they have. It is not their fault that Trek released a defective bike and it is not their fault that Trek hasn’t done anything to make it right. LBS’s are struggling as it is competing with online stores and I would not expect them to take a loss because Trek wont back up their product.

    I didn't notice that you went to Trek directly... I'm surprised Trek didn't just hang up the phone on you immediately. Trek's warranty policy clearly states you have to go through a Trek dealer. Our Trek rep will not ever deal with a customer directly.

    Also the outside rep and the warranty rep are two different people completely... Which one did you deal with? If you expect a positive warranty outcome you have to let the LBS do it. If you started calling Trek yourself and getting all in the works it's no surprise why you got a negative response. Given too the amount of threads you have started here, you seem like the guy who doesn't know when to stop talking and let people do what they do best.

    You keep making this claim that the bike is defective but Trek has sold several hundred of these bikes and several hundred haven't come back. I know one of the warranty guys at Waterloo and he has told me there hasn't been that many of these with problems and he handles warranties from all over the world.

    To say that Trek doesn't back their products is ignorant. They have the best warranty service of any make I have dealt with. They often upgrade people, and I've never had a legitimate claim denied.

    I'm still having some difficulty even seeing a problem with this bike. Problems with a dozen bikes at most isn't a trend. At first you claimed that this problem only effected the 2012 Rig, until I pointed out that the 2011/12 Rig and 2011/12 Marlin SS are the same frame and the 2011/12 Sawyer also has the same tension system.

    If there were an obvious problem with the system, when operated properly, more of these bikes would have similar issues. Except that isn't happening. There is only you complaining about yours and a hand full of other people at best. Trek sold hundreds of these bikes worldwide not just a few dozen. I know several people that have these bikes and none of them have a problem. It's only the Rig too... I wonder if the people that own the Rig are more likely, even when not qualified, to work on their own bike?
  • 12-14-2011
    pelliot
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    To say that Trek doesn't back their products is ignorant. They have the best warranty service of any make I have dealt with. They often upgrade people, and I've never had a legitimate claim denied.

    That's an awfully strong statement and certainly doesn't align with my experience (or, seemingly, that of other posters). I'm still waiting for a replacement frame three months after the claim was submitted - I suspect that even you would agree that's shoddy service.
  • 12-14-2011
    GTR-33
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pelliot View Post
    That's an awfully strong statement and certainly doesn't align with my experience (or, seemingly, that of other posters). I'm still waiting for a replacement frame three months after the claim was submitted - I suspect that even you would agree that's shoddy service.

    If it takes three months it is likely the fault of your LBS and not Trek. There are lots of shops that tell a customer a claim has been submitted when it hasn't... Claims are also submitted incomplete. Trek asks for pictures and they are never sent = warranty claim on hold.

    Also, I have also seen people wait for frames because Trek simply doesn't have them in stock to send. That isn't bad service. It's not like Trek or any other bike maker actually make frames themselves. It takes about 3 months for frames to get to the US from Taiwan/China.

    I have seen people break aluminum frames and get carbon replacements... Is that bad service?

    Broke Top Fuel 9 and got a 2011 Top Fuel 9.9
    Broke X-Cal and got a Superfly
    Broke Elite 9.8, got a 9.9 and broke twice more. Got a complete Top Fuel 9.9

    I can go on and on...

    Everyone loves to hate Trek... Yet people on this board are willing to wait years for custom frames.
  • 12-14-2011
    pete123steph@msn.com
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    I didn't notice that you went to Trek directly... I'm surprised Trek didn't just hang up the phone on you immediately. Trek's warranty policy clearly states you have to go through a Trek dealer. Our Trek rep will not ever deal with a customer directly.

    Also the outside rep and the warranty rep are two different people completely... Which one did you deal with? If you expect a positive warranty outcome you have to let the LBS do it. If you started calling Trek yourself and getting all in the works it's no surprise why you got a negative response. Given too the amount of threads you have started here, you seem like the guy who doesn't know when to stop talking and let people do what they do best.

    You keep making this claim that the bike is defective but Trek has sold several hundred of these bikes and several hundred haven't come back. I know one of the warranty guys at Waterloo and he has told me there hasn't been that many of these with problems and he handles warranties from all over the world.

    To say that Trek doesn't back their products is ignorant. They have the best warranty service of any make I have dealt with. They often upgrade people, and I've never had a legitimate claim denied.

    I'm still having some difficulty even seeing a problem with this bike. Problems with a dozen bikes at most isn't a trend. At first you claimed that this problem only effected the 2012 Rig, until I pointed out that the 2011/12 Rig and 2011/12 Marlin SS are the same frame and the 2011/12 Sawyer also has the same tension system.

    If there were an obvious problem with the system, when operated properly, more of these bikes would have similar issues. Except that isn't happening. There is only you complaining about yours and a hand full of other people at best. Trek sold hundreds of these bikes worldwide not just a few dozen. I know several people that have these bikes and none of them have a problem. It's only the Rig too... I wonder if the people that own the Rig are more likely, even when not qualified, to work on their own bike?

    GTR-33, I will started off by saying that If you don’t already work for Trek, you should! I have a feeling you would fit in great with their company culture of producing defective products and denying it till you’re blue in the face.

    Yes I am the guy that “doesn’t stop talking about it”. And why should I? If I can save a fellow rider from making a bad investment in a bike that doesn’t work then I am glad to keep talking about it :).

    Yes you did point out the Marlin is the same exact frame. Bravo to you! (loser). And I will point out (again) that the same exact problems are accruing with the Marlin. Read this review on the Marlin.

    Trek Marlin Single Speed 29er Hardtail Reviews

    The freaking wheel fell off this dudes bike! Trek must make a great product for the wheel to fall off LOL. So that just proves that the issue is widespread and specific to this frame design. Thanks for helping me prove my point.

    I went to the LBS 1st. I had my bike there multiple times and they tried to fix the problem with no success. They even had the Trek rep come look at it. Finally it got to the point where I told the LBS I simply do not want the bike. I informed them that I had a race coming up and need a functioning bike. They explained my request to the Trek rep who refused to replace the frame with one that works or do a refund (yeah, great company). When I spoke to the manager after he talked to the Trek rep he was very disappointed that Trek was not handling it better. He was very verbal in expressing his dissatisfaction with Trek. He said that he would have the Trek rep call me because his hands are tied.

    THE TREK REP CALLED ME! He had an attitude right off the bat and was telling me he had a solution. I explained to him that I have heard that the replacement hardware kit they send out has not worked for other people and that I read some reviews about it on MTBR. He then went on a rant about a customer and told me where this person lives and that “we refunded his money and now he is BLABBING all over MTBR”. At this point I was in shock by the unprofessionalism of the Trek rep and that he had just complained about another customer to me. He continued to deny that others are having issues with the Rig and that he wont do anything for me. So YES, at this point I contacted Trek’s corporate office.

    You said that “Everyone loves to hate Trek”. Do you think that we are a secret society of “Trek haters” and we all conspired together to make false claims about Trek? LOL.
  • 12-14-2011
    bigpete61
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pete123steph@msn.com View Post
    GTR-33, I will started off by saying that If you don’t already work for Trek, you should! I have a feeling you would fit in great with their company culture of producing defective products and denying it till you’re blue in the face.

    Yes I am the guy that “doesn’t stop talking about it”. And why should I? If I can save a fellow rider from making a bad investment in a bike that doesn’t work then I am glad to keep talking about it :).

    Yes you did point out the Marlin is the same exact frame. Bravo to you! (loser). And I will point out (again) that the same exact problems are accruing with the Marlin. Read this review on the Marlin.

    Trek Marlin Single Speed 29er Hardtail Reviews

    The freaking wheel fell off this dudes bike! Trek must make a great product for the wheel to fall off LOL. So that just proves that the issue is widespread and specific to this frame design. Thanks for helping me prove my point.

    I went to the LBS 1st. I had my bike there multiple times and they tried to fix the problem with no success. They even had the Trek rep come look at it. Finally it got to the point where I told the LBS I simply do not want the bike. I informed them that I had a race coming up and need a functioning bike. They explained my request to the Trek rep who refused to replace the frame with one that works or do a refund (yeah, great company). When I spoke to the manager after he talked to the Trek rep he was very disappointed that Trek was not handling it better. He was very verbal in expressing his dissatisfaction with Trek. He said that he would have the Trek rep call me because his hands are tied.

    THE TREK REP CALLED ME! He had an attitude right off the bat and was telling me he had a solution. I explained to him that I have heard that the replacement hardware kit they send out has not worked for other people and that I read some reviews about it on MTBR. He then went on a rant about a customer and told me where this person lives and that “we refunded his money and now he is BLABBING all over MTBR”. At this point I was in shock by the unprofessionalism of the Trek rep and that he had just complained about another customer to me. He continued to deny that others are having issues with the Rig and that he wont do anything for me. So YES, at this point I contacted Trek’s corporate office.

    You said that “Everyone loves to hate Trek”. Do you think that we are a secret society of “Trek haters” and we all conspired together to make false claims about Trek? LOL.

    It seems to me that you are holding up the process. You should have taken the offered replacement parts from the rep and proved the rep wrong.(you sound very confident that his offering would not work) If you had exercised some patience you might be sitting on a new frame or had your money refunded. Sounds like your piss poor attitude got you piss poor results :thumbsup:
    Sucks to be you.

    To make you feel better I have included a picture of my 2011 Trek Fuel EX9.9 that the sucky folks at Trek provided to me free of charge after having problems with my EX9.

    <a href="http://s1019.photobucket.com/albums/af311/bigpete61/?action=view&amp;current=download.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af311/bigpete61/download.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

    Oh, by the way, the EX 9.9 is bad A$$. It rides like a dream :D
  • 12-14-2011
    bigb73
    I'm just gonna throw this out there, I had a Santa Cruz frame crack twice on me and within about 10 days both times, the guys at SC had me ridding. Just saying.
  • 12-15-2011
    GTR-33
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bigb73 View Post
    I'm just gonna throw this out there, I had a Santa Cruz frame crack twice on me and within about 10 days both times, the guys at SC had me ridding. Just saying.

    I've seen the same thing from Trek.

    People love to hate Trek because they are the big brand... Yet when some of the boutique builders here break in five years you get... Nothing and you paid WAY more for the frame.

    I'm just say Trek stands by their product. They have done it for me. Then again my Rig is fine...

    A few bikes isn't a widespread problem on the scale of Trek. It's less than 1% failure rate. Failures happen in any line of manufacturing, hence the warranty.

    As for claim to Trek that you could be hurt... Mountain biking is an inherently dangerous sport. You could be hurt anyway.
  • 12-15-2011
    sxr-racer
    How does a wheel fall out of the dropouts? Only way I can see is one of two reasons. 1. The skewer broke (Rare) 2. The skewer was not tightened correctly (Owner Fault).
  • 12-15-2011
    pete123steph@msn.com
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sxr-racer View Post
    How does a wheel fall out of the dropouts? Only way I can see is one of two reasons. 1. The skewer broke (Rare) 2. The skewer was not tightened correctly (Owner Fault).

    Or the design of the dropouts do not allow enough contact between the two surfaces and the axle actually moves around inside of the dropouts. Over the course of a ride, even if the skewer has been tightened down properly the movement causes it to loosen. If not caught or constantly tightened every few miles it will become so loose the wheel will actually fall off. (Manufacturers FAULT!)
  • 12-15-2011
    pete123steph@msn.com
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bigpete61 View Post
    It seems to me that you are holding up the process. You should have taken the offered replacement parts from the rep and proved the rep wrong.(you sound very confident that his offering would not work) If you had exercised some patience you might be sitting on a new frame or had your money refunded. Sounds like your piss poor attitude got you piss poor results :thumbsup:
    Sucks to be you.

    To make you feel better I have included a picture of my 2011 Trek Fuel EX9.9 that the sucky folks at Trek provided to me free of charge after having problems with my EX9.

    (1) I had already waited several weeks for the replacement parts that were supposed to arrive in one week. (already explained in the OP)

    (2) The manager of the LBS told me that they are dealing with the same issue with another customer and that the REPLACEMENT PARTS DO NOT WORK!

    (3) I read several threads posted from other people with the same issue that said the replacement parts do not work.

    So I have already been waiting 3 weeks for the parts just so I can ride my bike, I have the manager telling me the parts have failed for another customer. So why should I waste my time and continue to wait for the parts that I already know will not work?

    You guys keep on saying that Trek is so great when it comes to their warrantee process and that may have been the case for a lot of people, but not for me. If Trek had sent a new frame that works I would have been happy with that and this thread wouldn’t exist.
  • 12-15-2011
    pete123steph@msn.com
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    I've seen the same thing from Trek.

    People love to hate Trek because they are the big brand... Yet when some of the boutique builders here break in five years you get... Nothing and you paid WAY more for the frame.

    I'm just say Trek stands by their product. They have done it for me. Then again my Rig is fine...

    A few bikes isn't a widespread problem on the scale of Trek. It's less than 1% failure rate. Failures happen in any line of manufacturing, hence the warranty.

    As for claim to Trek that you could be hurt... Mountain biking is an inherently dangerous sport. You could be hurt anyway.

    Ok I was joking about there being a secret society of “Trek haters” who conspire to bring down the giant. I have owned 3 Trek mountain bikes in the past and I did have a good experience with the warrantee of Trek. I had a 2005 GF Sugar 29er that the rear triangle broke. Trek sent a new frame, it did take 3 months, but I was happy with it. I use to swear by their product till this experience.

    This issue has nothing to do with the fact that Trek is a mainstream bike company. If that were the case I would not have bought a Trek in the 1st place. I bought a Trek because I have owned their bikes in the past and had good success with them.

    You are right that not every person is having issues with this bike. I have even said that due to the fact that I am 6’2 220 and ride hard may cause the problems to be more extreme. Being a bigger rider I put more pounds of torque on the cranks resulting in more pull on the on the dropouts.

    With that said, between all the people that have posted about this issue on other threads and others that I have personally talked to I think it is fair to say there is a design flaw in this bike. If it were just a few people having this same issue I would understand your stance, but I have seen more than 20 different posters in other threads complaining about the same issue with the dropouts and I have spoken to LBS’s that say they are seeing a common trend with this bike. You honestly can’t say that I just made this up to attack Trek. I even said in the OP that I would have been ok with their being an defect with the bike if Trek handled it better. You keep saying that Trek has a great warrantee dep and in many cases they send out upgrades to customers, but I have not seen that. If Trek had done that for me I would have no complaints.
  • 12-16-2011
    GTR-33
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pete123steph@msn.com View Post
    I am 6’2 220 and ride hard may cause the problems to be more extreme.

    If it were just a few people having this same issue I would understand your stance, but I have seen more than 20 different posters in other threads complaining about the same issue with the dropouts and I have spoken to LBS’s that say they are seeing a common trend with this bike. If Trek had done that for me I would have no complaints.

    I'm 6'4" and 250... My Rig is not having these problems.

    If there are even 20 bikes that is a still a SMALL number compared to the total sold. There are at least 200 bikes in EACH SIZE sold of just the Rig. There were twice as many 2011s since they were offered as a frame set. If you include ALL of the bikes sold as either a 2011 or 2012 Rig, Marlin SS, and/or Sawyer you easily have over 5000 sold in the US alone...

    ...and out of the 5000+ bikes sold there are MAYBE 20 people that have an issue with the dropouts? That's a failure rate much less than 1 percent which would actually be astonishing if it were true.

    If this were actually a real widespread problem, there would be hundreds of people saying they had problems. I don't believe that you have talked to a lot of LBS as this is a common problem.

    Make it up to attack Trek? No.. Obviously blow it WAY out of proportion to get something for free? I see that all the time, especially with bike people and they know it's their own fault. The numbers simply don't support your claim. For their to be a widespread problem, it would be substantiated by more than your internet anecdotal claims. There would be dozens of threads, started by other people, not ones that chime in and say "hey my chain stretched too, is there a problem with my bike?" With your reply being that "Trek has a known issue."
  • 12-16-2011
    sxr-racer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    I'm 6'4" and 250... My Rig is not having these problems.

    If there are even 20 bikes that is a still a SMALL number compared to the total sold. There are at least 200 bikes in EACH SIZE sold of just the Rig. There were twice as many 2011s since they were offered as a frame set. If you include ALL of the bikes sold as either a 2011 or 2012 Rig, Marlin SS, and/or Sawyer you easily have over 5000 sold in the US alone...

    ...and out of the 5000+ bikes sold there are MAYBE 20 people that have an issue with the dropouts? That's a failure rate much less than 1 percent which would actually be astonishing if it were true.

    If this were actually a real widespread problem, there would be hundreds of people saying they had problems. I don't believe that you have talked to a lot of LBS as this is a common problem.

    Make it up to attack Trek? No.. Obviously blow it WAY out of proportion to get something for free? I see that all the time, especially with bike people and they know it's their own fault. The numbers simply don't support your claim. For their to be a widespread problem, it would be substantiated by more than your internet anecdotal claims. There would be dozens of threads, started by other people, not ones that chime in and say "hey my chain stretched too, is there a problem with my bike?" With your reply being that "Trek has a known issue."

    Hammer Head, Meet Nail Head........... Go ahead, you can hit the nail...........

    There you go................


    ;)
  • 12-16-2011
    TCW
    Pete, I appreciate your willingness to share this information on this website.
  • 12-17-2011
    Spinning Lizard
    Yep, Trek has always denied problems with their bikes for years. Used to work for a Trek dealer and when the first carbon Top Fuel's came out almost every one we sold the frame cracked. Trek denied the first 4 or 5 saying they were abused. When we sent in the third frame for a warranty claim, they said they had never seen that before, LMAO - like the other 2 we already had submitted? Trek is a terrible company to do business with IMO. The only time they honor warranty, is to not piss off a dealer, if they do not like the dealer you are screwed.
  • 12-17-2011
    Drunkindonuts
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    No.. Obviously blow it WAY out of proportion to get something for free? ."

    So The few of us on this forum that have had problems are just trying to get something for free?

    When I purchased my Rig I did it believing that it would be simpler, require less maintenance, and I would enjoy it. Unfortunately it spend more time in the shop than any bike I have ever owned. I missed multiple rides and wasted time and money driving back and forth to the bike shop. I did enjoy riding the bike when It worked but was frustrated and started to spend more time thinking about the problem than thinking about my riding. I never asked for anything more than I paid. I just wanted a bike that worked for more than five miles without requiring readjustment. My LBS and Trek rep were awesome and after 6 months of trying to get the Rig to work they took care of me. Im currently happy and have no problems with my new Trek.

    Whether Trek publicly admits to a problem with this bike or not, customers are having issues and the company should stand by the Trek/Gary Fisher name and make it right.
    If they have a kit that is supposed to fix the problem well, then I guess they know there is a problem. The superfly SS had the same problem and there was a fix out for it as well.
  • 12-18-2011
    Clink
    On a separate issue can anyone confirm chainstay length in longest and shortest positions?
  • 12-19-2011
    GTR-33
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Drunkindonuts View Post
    So The few of us on this forum that have had problems are just trying to get something for free?

    Yes, if you start multiple threads on this forum on the subject in which you claim that this is WIDESPREAD problem and in the same post mention someone else who got their money back...
  • 12-19-2011
    pete123steph@msn.com
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    Yes, if you start multiple threads on this forum on the subject in which you claim that this is WIDESPREAD problem and in the same post mention someone else who got their money back...

    GTR-33, your ignorance amazes me. This is the only thread I have started regarding this. The other threads were started by other people with the same problem.

    Here are the links :thumbsup:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/trek/2012-gar...rs-751218.html

    http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/2...ig-748922.html

    http://forums.mtbr.com/trek/2011-201...ig-748924.html (wheel actually comes off the bike)

    http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/20...rk-750011.html

    2011 Fisher Rig Slip'n'Slide Dropouts - anyone?

    Trek Marlin Single Speed 29er Hardtail Reviews (Dudes wheel actually comes off the bike!)

    I don’t want anything for free! I paid good money for what was supposed to be a good bike. It is only right that Trek replace the frame with one that works. I don’t think that is asking too much for a bike that costs $1600 and has a lifetime warrantee that is supposed to cover manufacturer defects.
  • 12-19-2011
    pete123steph@msn.com
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    Yes, if you start multiple threads on this forum on the subject in which you claim that this is WIDESPREAD problem and in the same post mention someone else who got their money back...

    Forgot these two

    http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/2...ne-726420.html

    Trek Marlin Single Speed 29er Hardtail Reviews
  • 12-19-2011
    pete123steph@msn.com
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    Yes, if you start multiple threads on this forum on the subject in which you claim that this is WIDESPREAD problem and in the same post mention someone else who got their money back...

    found another one LOL.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/trek/new-slid...ue-670926.html

    I am sure there are more, but you get the point. Seems pretty widespread to me.
  • 12-19-2011
    sxr-racer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pete123steph@msn.com View Post
    GTR-33, your ignorance amazes me. This is the only thread I have started regarding this. The other threads were started by other people with the same problem.

    Here are the links :thumbsup:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/trek/2012-gar...rs-751218.html

    http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/2...ig-748922.html

    http://forums.mtbr.com/trek/2011-201...ig-748924.html (wheel actually comes off the bike)

    http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/20...rk-750011.html

    2011 Fisher Rig Slip'n'Slide Dropouts - anyone?

    Trek Marlin Single Speed 29er Hardtail Reviews (Dudes wheel actually comes off the bike!)

    I don’t want anything for free! I paid good money for what was supposed to be a good bike. It is only right that Trek replace the frame with one that works. I don’t think that is asking too much for a bike that costs $1600 and has a lifetime warrantee that is supposed to cover manufacturer defects.

    The 2nd and 3rd link was both started by the same person, he just made two post of the same thing in 2 different forums.
  • 12-19-2011
    pete123steph@msn.com
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sxr-racer View Post
    The 2nd and 3rd link was both started by the same person, he just made two post of the same thing in 2 different forums.

    How dare he! (sarcasm). Well maybe we should send GTR-33 the "forum police" after him.
  • 12-19-2011
    Drunkindonuts
    I think it would be in the best interest of Trek to modify there warrantee program to state, "Any posting on MTBR forums of any failure or warrantee issue will automatically invalidate all future claims for said issue regardless of the claims validity"