Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2012 Trek Rig warrantee outcome

30K views 103 replies 45 participants last post by  cjsb 
#1 ·
I spoke to the Trek rep yesterday and he is not offering to refund the cost of the frame, however he is offering to send replacement parts that he says will fix the problem.

I have a few issues with this.

1. The replacement parts were supposed to be here last week.

2. I have spoken to others including bike techs that say the replacement parts do not fix the problems completely.

3. Trek has denied any knowledge of issues with the 2012 Rig and said that my case was the 1st they had heard about it. But yet so many others have had the same issues and I was informed that Trek is working on developing replacement parts to fix the problem, but apparently, according the their emails to me they have NO knowledge of anyone else having issues with the 2012 Rig. So I was blatantly LIED to by Trek about a defect in the frame design that could have put me in danger.

To top everything off I informed the rep that I have heard of others with the same issue with the 2012 Rig getting a refund for the cost of the frame. He did acknowledge that they did that for 1 person and he said that it was only because it was extenuating circumstances, however he did not go into detail of what these extenuating circumstances were. He preceded to say “we did refund the cost of the frame to one individual in Tucson and now that person in BLABBING all over MTBR about it”

I would like to say to Trek… MTBR is a review site for consumers to share information. So “BLABBING” on this site is kind of what it is intended for. I am sorry the “BLABBING” has conflicted with your agenda to produce low quality defective products and cover it up and deny it.

Thanks Trek! I will never own or indorse your product.

See less See more
#8 ·
The 2011 and the 2012 Rig frames are the same, just different paint. My boss tried everything Trek told him to do but the dropouts still moved. He's only about 175lbs. Trek replaced the frame with the new 2012 Superfly SS. Look for a frame with horizontal drops. I ride a Surly Karate Monkey and have never had an issue with the wheel slipping.

#11 ·
Just to post an update. I spoke with Trek again today and he said their engineers have developed a part the "might" fix the problem. I reminded him that it is actually 4 problems with the design defects on the 2012 Trek Rig (de de dee). The part he said would help keep the slides from slipping, but I reminded him that it won't do anything about the axle moving inside the dropouts and the skewer coming loose. He offered to send the part out for me to try it to see if it works but I declined because I have already broken the Rig down to use the parts to build up a new frame.

He said they are not willing to replace the frame, but he offered to send a Trek jersey and some bontrager tires. I chuckled as I said "I would not wear a Trek jersey after all this". They can keep their cheap tires too.

It has also been brought to my attention that the 2012 Trek Marlin is the same exact frame as the Rig and there have been the same issues with Marlin as well. This review the persons wheel actually falls off. This has happened to myself and others with the Rig.

Trek Marlin Single Speed 29er Hardtail Reviews

Bottom line is this is a clear defect in the design and hardware on the 2012 Trek Rig and 2012 Trek Marlin. Trek is refusing to notify their customers of any defects which causes the rear wheel to loosen and fall off during a ride. They are still trying to deny it in till you call them out. I have spoken with an attorney who has handled and won cases against Trek in the past. Apparently this is not the 1st time Trek has been forced to recall and product.

#16 ·
I had a similar issue with a 2010 Spec. Rock Hopper SS.
No way to keep the chain tight and constant dropping. PITA
Spec came through though and allowed me to pay the difference and upgrade to 2011 Stumpjumper SS.
It uses an eccentric bottom bracket with pinch bolts and has been my main bike for the last year.

#18 ·
Your first post says emails. Emails sometime work. Your more recent post says you "spoke" with a rep. Was this via phone or email? In person or phone is always better. Ask for a manager or someone in charge. I have had experiences with bad sales "reps" and always got the name and went to a manager or asked to speak to a supervisor.

Also, on your comment about "He offered to send the part out for me to try it to see if it works but I declined because I have already broken the Rig down to use the parts to build up a new frame. "

I would take it and try it. If not that's a loss on your part because you gave up and are now building a new ride with parts. At least this guy (who may be low totem pole) tried to offer a solution. If that didnt work then i would get back on the phone and ask for head honcho, be polite and tell him what the problem is. If you cant get head honcho on the phone ask for his email. You can get it. Ill even help you if you cant...

Many companies have recalls on products and offer the part to fix it..if the part fixes the problem and isnt some odd strange thing other than a few washers/bolts etc like other people mentioned I say go with it. Why buy a new frame over a free part?...I realize you are pissed and I dont mean to stir the pot, but there has gotta be numerous Rig users complaining about this if there is indeed a serious problem..

#19 ·
Yes I have spoken with Trek via email and over the phone, I have worked my way up the chain of command, I've already been waiting 5 weeks for parts that were supposed to arrive in one week (the parts don't even fix the problem). After emailing Trek and working with my LBS I spoke to the regional Trek Rep and informed him that others have had this issue and posted on MTBR. He went on a rant about one customer and how that person was a pain to deal with. He even told me the city that customer lives in and said "we offered a refund to him and now he is BLABBING all over MTBR about it"! After that I took the issue back to Trek corporate and sent and email with links to all the threads about these issues and also about the conversation with the regional Trek Rep.

So yes, I gave up LOL. They don't have a solution that is guaranteed to fix the problems. There are other posts from riders that Trek sent out multiple frames with different hardware kits that didn't work. Trek Just needs to do a recall and offer either a refund or a different frame to customers.

Its sad that Gary Fishers name and reputation is being destroyed by Trek. I have not heard of major issues with the Rig from before Treks name was all over it.

My issue is not that there is a defective design with the frame. That I could deal with if Trek was willing to handle it in a better manner. My issue is that Trek is denying any knowledge of it and they blatantly lied to me about it. They are aware of the defective design that has causes the rear wheel to fly off the bike and they are making no effort to notify riders or do any kind of a recall. Instead their Reps are complaining that people are BLABBING on MTBR about it. Does that sound like a good company that stands behind their product? I think not!

#22 · (Edited)
I have had the opposite experience. I think the biggest problem for the OP is that his LBS is not dealing with the problem. I have owned treks for the last 12 years and have delt with warranty problems 3-4 times. Every time my LBS took care of everything. My last experience was with a 2010 Fuel EX 9 that had a bad head tube. Trek did not have any aluminum frames in stock, so they sent me a 2011 fuel ex 9.9. My LBS has always gone up to bat for me. There's no reason why the OP should be dealing with this on his own.

#23 ·
Sounds like you got a shitty rep. When I was working for a shop that dealt with trek, we had an awesome warranty rep. we never had any issues whatsoever submitting warranty claims for customers bikes. they either got the same frame or an upgrade. one of the last warranties i did for a customer was a chipped piece of carbon on his front der mount from a crash on his remedy 9.7. they sent out a replacement frame.... remedy 9.9 at no cost. So it really is not trek as a company, it is just the rep that you dealt with. some are good, some are shitty.

#26 ·
The LBS did all they could. They were unsatisfied with how Trek is handling it. I would not expect the LBS to do anymore than they have. It is not their fault that Trek released a defective bike and it is not their fault that Trek hasn’t done anything to make it right. LBS’s are struggling as it is competing with online stores and I would not expect them to take a loss because Trek wont back up their product.

#27 · (Edited)
The LBS did all they could. They were unsatisfied with how Trek is handling it. I would not expect the LBS to do anymore than they have. It is not their fault that Trek released a defective bike and it is not their fault that Trek hasn't done anything to make it right. LBS's are struggling as it is competing with online stores and I would not expect them to take a loss because Trek wont back up their product.
I didn't notice that you went to Trek directly... I'm surprised Trek didn't just hang up the phone on you immediately. Trek's warranty policy clearly states you have to go through a Trek dealer. Our Trek rep will not ever deal with a customer directly.

Also the outside rep and the warranty rep are two different people completely... Which one did you deal with? If you expect a positive warranty outcome you have to let the LBS do it. If you started calling Trek yourself and getting all in the works it's no surprise why you got a negative response. Given too the amount of threads you have started here, you seem like the guy who doesn't know when to stop talking and let people do what they do best.

You keep making this claim that the bike is defective but Trek has sold several hundred of these bikes and several hundred haven't come back. I know one of the warranty guys at Waterloo and he has told me there hasn't been that many of these with problems and he handles warranties from all over the world.

To say that Trek doesn't back their products is ignorant. They have the best warranty service of any make I have dealt with. They often upgrade people, and I've never had a legitimate claim denied.

I'm still having some difficulty even seeing a problem with this bike. Problems with a dozen bikes at most isn't a trend. At first you claimed that this problem only effected the 2012 Rig, until I pointed out that the 2011/12 Rig and 2011/12 Marlin SS are the same frame and the 2011/12 Sawyer also has the same tension system.

If there were an obvious problem with the system, when operated properly, more of these bikes would have similar issues. Except that isn't happening. There is only you complaining about yours and a hand full of other people at best. Trek sold hundreds of these bikes worldwide not just a few dozen. I know several people that have these bikes and none of them have a problem. It's only the Rig too... I wonder if the people that own the Rig are more likely, even when not qualified, to work on their own bike?

#33 ·
I've seen the same thing from Trek.

People love to hate Trek because they are the big brand... Yet when some of the boutique builders here break in five years you get... Nothing and you paid WAY more for the frame.

I'm just say Trek stands by their product. They have done it for me. Then again my Rig is fine...

A few bikes isn't a widespread problem on the scale of Trek. It's less than 1% failure rate. Failures happen in any line of manufacturing, hence the warranty.

As for claim to Trek that you could be hurt... Mountain biking is an inherently dangerous sport. You could be hurt anyway.

#35 ·
Or the design of the dropouts do not allow enough contact between the two surfaces and the axle actually moves around inside of the dropouts. Over the course of a ride, even if the skewer has been tightened down properly the movement causes it to loosen. If not caught or constantly tightened every few miles it will become so loose the wheel will actually fall off. (Manufacturers FAULT!)

#41 ·
Yep, Trek has always denied problems with their bikes for years. Used to work for a Trek dealer and when the first carbon Top Fuel's came out almost every one we sold the frame cracked. Trek denied the first 4 or 5 saying they were abused. When we sent in the third frame for a warranty claim, they said they had never seen that before, LMAO - like the other 2 we already had submitted? Trek is a terrible company to do business with IMO. The only time they honor warranty, is to not piss off a dealer, if they do not like the dealer you are screwed.

#51 ·
Surely you jest.;) This situation is a little like a problem I had with my Madone 5.2 road bike. I got the bike then had weird shift problems a few days later. Trek contacted me after i filled out the survey they sent about the purchase. I explained in great detail the problems and they pretended like it was only me having the problem. I started looking around and found out I was not alone. Luckily after about 8 different trips to the bike shop they got the problem fixed. It was not easy and Trek was not helpful. I like the bike now but for a while I nearly took a sledge hammer to it.

For that reason, it's great we consumers report problems. Also, this issue looks a lot like a latent defect. I predict a recall will eventually be the result. Wheels flying out of dropouts is a big eff up.

#52 ·
At this point I really don't care that Trek is not going to replace my frame or offer a refund. It sucks, but it is what it is. Like I said before, if I can save a fellow biker from making a bad investment in a bike that does not work I am happy to keep talking about it. I have received feedback from multiple people on this forum that said they were looking at purchasing a new Trek and have gone with a different bike because of everything they read.

The funny thing is, Trek may save a few hundred bucks by not replacing my defective frame, but they are losing MUCH more from people avoiding buying Treks all together because of information they read. Most people do research on a bike before buying a bike, right? If you google “2012 Trek Rig” the links on the 1st page are all about the issues with the dropouts.

So I would like to thank the few people on this thread that liked to argue and deny there is a common issue with this bike. You helped make sure my post ranks on the 1st page of google.

#54 ·
WOW!!!

To the OP, I am sorry to hear that you are having some trouble with your bike and getting it resolved. I am sure that it is frustrating, but come on.

Really!? Do you need to make such a federal case about it for a $1600 bike? It really seems like there is more to the story here than just a slipping rear dropout.

In my personal experience and all my friends that have had Trek's have had little or no problems. The ones that did have warranty issues, were very happy with the way Trek handled it. Heck, it is one of the main reasons people buy a Trek, IMHO.

I suggest that you address your efforts towards resolving the issue with your LBS & Trek.

#55 ·
WOW!!!

To the OP, I am sorry to hear that you are having some trouble with your bike and getting it resolved. I am sure that it is frustrating, but come on.

Really!? Do you need to make such a federal case about it for a $1600 bike? It really seems like there is more to the story here than just a slipping rear dropout.

In my personal experience and all my friends that have had Trek's have had little or no problems. The ones that did have warranty issues, were very happy with the way Trek handled it. Heck, it is one of the main reasons people buy a Trek, IMHO.

I suggest that you address your efforts towards resolving the issue with your LBS & Trek.
To answer your question… Absolutely!

$1600 may be pocket change to you, but when I pay that much for a bike I kind of expect it to work. Crazy, I know LOL.

All I did was post a thread. I didn't expect people to pounce on my like I am a Bin Laden walking through Times Square.

Others are having the same issue. I did'nt just make this stuff up. I am, however calling Trek out. They need to do a recall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.