Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkindonuts View Post
    I think it would be in the best interest of Trek to modify there warrantee program to state, "Any posting on MTBR forums of any failure or warrantee issue will automatically invalidate all future claims for said issue regardless of the claims validity"
    Surely you jest. This situation is a little like a problem I had with my Madone 5.2 road bike. I got the bike then had weird shift problems a few days later. Trek contacted me after i filled out the survey they sent about the purchase. I explained in great detail the problems and they pretended like it was only me having the problem. I started looking around and found out I was not alone. Luckily after about 8 different trips to the bike shop they got the problem fixed. It was not easy and Trek was not helpful. I like the bike now but for a while I nearly took a sledge hammer to it.

For that reason, it's great we consumers report problems. Also, this issue looks a lot like a latent defect. I predict a recall will eventually be the result. Wheels flying out of dropouts is a big eff up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    At this point I really don't care that Trek is not going to replace my frame or offer a refund. It sucks, but it is what it is. Like I said before, if I can save a fellow biker from making a bad investment in a bike that does not work I am happy to keep talking about it. I have received feedback from multiple people on this forum that said they were looking at purchasing a new Trek and have gone with a different bike because of everything they read.

The funny thing is, Trek may save a few hundred bucks by not replacing my defective frame, but they are losing MUCH more from people avoiding buying Treks all together because of information they read. Most people do research on a bike before buying a bike, right? If you google “2012 Trek Rig” the links on the 1st page are all about the issues with the dropouts.

So I would like to thank the few people on this thread that liked to argue and deny there is a common issue with this bike. You helped make sure my post ranks on the 1st page of google.

At Work
    Quote Originally Posted by pete123steph@msn.com View Post
    How dare he! (sarcasm). Well maybe we should send GTR-33 the "forum police" after him.
    my point was it came across like your talking about all these different threads when some are actually duplicate threads.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

Always a good day to ride
    WOW!!!

To the OP, I am sorry to hear that you are having some trouble with your bike and getting it resolved. I am sure that it is frustrating, but come on.

Really!? Do you need to make such a federal case about it for a $1600 bike? It really seems like there is more to the story here than just a slipping rear dropout.

In my personal experience and all my friends that have had Trek's have had little or no problems. The ones that did have warranty issues, were very happy with the way Trek handled it. Heck, it is one of the main reasons people buy a Trek, IMHO.

I suggest that you address your efforts towards resolving the issue with your LBS & Trek.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bik_ryder View Post
    WOW!!!

To the OP, I am sorry to hear that you are having some trouble with your bike and getting it resolved. I am sure that it is frustrating, but come on.

Really!? Do you need to make such a federal case about it for a $1600 bike? It really seems like there is more to the story here than just a slipping rear dropout.

In my personal experience and all my friends that have had Trek's have had little or no problems. The ones that did have warranty issues, were very happy with the way Trek handled it. Heck, it is one of the main reasons people buy a Trek, IMHO.

I suggest that you address your efforts towards resolving the issue with your LBS & Trek.
    To answer your question… Absolutely!

$1600 may be pocket change to you, but when I pay that much for a bike I kind of expect it to work. Crazy, I know LOL.

All I did was post a thread. I didn’t expect people to pounce on my like I am a Bin Laden walking through Times Square.

Others are having the same issue. I did'nt just make this stuff up. I am, however calling Trek out. They need to do a recall.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    there is a repair kit with heavier guage material. Just email trek, get with your LBS....no big deal

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    (1) I had already waited several weeks for the replacement parts that were supposed to arrive in one week. (already explained in the OP)

(2) The manager of the LBS told me that they are dealing with the same issue with another customer and that the REPLACEMENT PARTS DO NOT WORK!

(3) I read several threads posted from other people with the same issue that said the replacement parts do not work.

So I have already been waiting 3 weeks for the parts just so I can ride my bike, I have the manager telling me the parts have failed for another customer. So why should I waste my time and continue to wait for the parts that I already know will not work?

You guys keep on saying that Trek is so great when it comes to their warrantee process and that may have been the case for a lot of people, but not for me. If Trek had sent a new frame that works I would have been happy with that and this thread wouldn’t exist.
    I understand your frustration, but how come you dont try the parts for yourself? Many people get on the net and slam things because they simply dont know about the product. What about a second opinion from another bike shop? Im sorry, but maybe LBS wants some more of your pocket. The net is filled with mainly grumpy reviews. If every satisfied customer (me included who looks for opinions on everything) reviewed every item it would be easy shopping.

Im trying to help you get back on your bike without building a new one. That sucks.

IMO I would have tried the parts myself. If it didnt work for me to put them on, but Trek claims they do - I would go to a buddy or LBS and ask them to install. Then if no one can make them work then I call Trek and get . Dont be a crazy though...be polite and tell them your problems, actions to correct said problem, where to go now?

Always a good day to ride
    No one is claiming that you are making it up, but why put all your efforts into a message board?

Here is a great informative thread on addressing the issue: Trek Rig rear wheel falling out: diagnosis and solution

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    OP posted what nine links? To six bikes. Two were the same thread reposted, one started by the OP himself and links to the Marlin SS problems he didn't even know about until I told him. Lame

Should Trek give people parts to solve the problem? Absolutely. Six bikes don't justify a recall.

The OP doesn't want a solution to the problem. He just want Trek to do a recall. To what end I wonder...
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer View Post
    my point was it came across like your talking about all these different threads when some are actually duplicate threads.
    What's more interesting is that I in fact gave him most of the information he is using to argue against me...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    What's more interesting is that I in fact gave him most of the information he is using to argue against me...
    Awww poor guy. No one was giving you credit so you had to give yourself a pat on the back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    was this problem ever resolved

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Put me on the pro-Trek side. In all my warranty dealings with Trek, it's always the LBS that handles everything. Sounds like the OP needs to find a different LBS. I don't know if his LBS hung him out to dry or what, but with a valid claim, I never seen our LBS have issues dealing with Trek.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    This is simply a customer service issue.
    A customer should NEVER be allowed to get this upset. Remember in business the phrase "The Customer is Always Right" still applies.
    This customer should have NEVER had to call Trek directly. The LBS should have taken care of this problem. If the mechanic couldn't do it the Shop Owner should have called Trek directly. If a customer ever has to call Trek there is an issue in the chain of service. And frankly Trek, once they hear from a customer needs to address that issue. At this point Trek needed to make this customer happy.

If there is a problem with the frame and there are replacement parts. They should have been shipped out REGARDLESS. And in a timely manner. Overnight even. But no more than a week should pass. The Trek CS guy should see to it personally. Or is he to busy dealing with many claims?

If this was a small scale frame problem (50 out of 5000) wouldn't it have been more cost effective to replace or refund some money to make this customer happy? To keep him from posting his unsatisfactory experience on the net and telling everyone he knows Trek Treated him poorly? Trek spends a ton of money each year in advertising. But just lost more than a few customers I am sure because of this issue.

Not sure I would buy a Trek at this point, as I have seen this issue first hand on a buddies bike. And BTW. I am the Customer Service Manager for the largest manufactured housing dealership in Indiana. My team has a 4 week turn around on ANY issues arising on the homes we sell. This is a small issue someone along the CS line should have taken care of within a couple weeks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The problem was never resolved. I havent seen the new Rigs for sale at LBS so maybe they stopped production.

It was not the lbs fault, they actually did all they could and it seems Trek left them out to dry.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    has anyone else fixed the problem by using better hardware or a differnent hub setup??

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Shoot, I was looking for solutions for I have the same problem with my 2011 Superfly and I found this thread. I guess I'm out of luck. I've tried replacing the aluminum bolts with hardened steel ones with slightly bigger head plus bigger washers. The slippage was a less but I'd still get that every single ride if I get out of the saddle during a hard climb or hard acceleration. I'm 170 lb with gear.

I've tightened these bolts so tight that I've stripped several nuts by now. It's crazy, I now carry with me a bolt, washer and nut to replace that when I'm riding if I need to!!!

To make things worse, the sliding guides deformed under the pressure of the bolt heads and now the dropout doesn't slide well.

Very disappointing. I'm very happy w/ the bike and had excellent racing results with it last year but this I'm looking to sell it now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Its sad whats happened to the OP but I have to agree with the Trek Supporters and others in here. It sounds like you need to find a new Trek Dealer. I purchase a 2012 Trek Fuel EX8 in October in SoCal while I was down visiting friends and family and brought it with me back to San Luis Obispo, on my first ride the front wheel taco'd on a slow right hand turn in dirt on nearly level ground. It was a bummer but I contacted Trek directly detailing my issue and they replied via email with 30 minutes or so on a Sunday telling me that any Trek Dealer could handle the warranty work and they would gladly replace my wheel. They even told me the nearest dealer in the email. I took it the dealer and they took care of me I had my bike back in about 3 days and they even upgraded my rim. Nothing but very professional and kind and a great experience. Better than I've ever had with any Vehicle Warranty work. I say Find a new Dealer to take your bike to.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The problem was never resolved. I havent seen the new Rigs for sale at LBS so maybe they stopped production.
    They haven't stopped production nor have they changed the drop out or hardware in any way. They don't need too. There isn't a problem. Properly tighten the hardware and you won't have a problem.

The screws used to tension the chain aren't supposed to hold the wheel in place. That's what the 5mm bolts are for and properly tightened will not allow the wheel to move. I've been riding my rig for over a year without ever touching the hardware in that time. Nothing.

I know at least half a dozen other people with this bike and no one has had an issue with it.

The OP has done what he intended to do since this topic was actually briefly mentioned in a magazine.

Afric Pepperbird
    Just curious if one of you guys (pete?) wrote about this to Mountain Bike Action magazine? The current issue posted a letter asking about this, if it was a "well known" problem. MTBA said rubbish! The bike itself is fine. (Their words)

(I'm not taking sides here either way; just wondering if it was one of you guys that wrote the letter)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dunlop2540 View Post
    has anyone else fixed the problem by using better hardware or a differnent hub setup??
    Anyone have an answer to this?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    No but after three different frames and then a full refund from Trek the problem was fixed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wcsting View Post
    Anyone have an answer to this?
    I've been on a bolt on hub for 6 months or so now and it sits in the dropout fine. Some QR nuts are too large to fit properly, though the Bonty Ti ones I have also fit fine.

mtbr member
    Hey Ive got a 2012 Rig due to breaking an 08 frame. Let me just say this 2012 sucks. Cant keep chain tight, rear wheel is never in line. Frame is a lot heavier too. Trek has sent me 2 different bolt sets and THEY STILL dont work. I called Trek myself and still no help. So my fix I just ordered a 2012 Niner One 9. Im done with trek.

banned
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    They haven't stopped production nor have they changed the drop out or hardware in any way. They don't need too. There isn't a problem. Properly tighten the hardware and you won't have a problem.

The screws used to tension the chain aren't supposed to hold the wheel in place. That's what the 5mm bolts are for and properly tightened will not allow the wheel to move. I've been riding my rig for over a year without ever touching the hardware in that time. Nothing.

I know at least half a dozen other people with this bike and no one has had an issue with it.

The OP has done what he intended to do since this topic was actually briefly mentioned in a magazine.
    I don't give a **** if you get the forum police on me I'm still going to let you have it! You are a dick! People are getting hurt because of this crap design and hardware!
    I could never keep tension on my chain because the sliders were moving, bolts bending and QR moving. The brake side bolt that everybody bends snapped off in my frame so I took it to my local trek dealer who pretty much treated me like an idiot and didn't listen to a word I said. He drilled out the bolt (poorly) and said its all good and tight and I'll never have a problem with it again.
    30seconds from the car the back wheel fell out and I ate ****! As pissed off as I am I'm glad it happened at the top of the hill and not the rocks and full speed.
    Wankers like you get on here talking **** about people trying to get free stuff doesn't solve anybody's problem. We don't want freebies we just want a safe bike to ride without the fear of having a high speed crash in the rocks when the wheel comes out.
    Yes not all Rig riders have this issue but maybe they are not 6'4 220+ like me.
    Yeah yeah I know you are a big guy too but you probably ride like a *****!
    Reading you posts makes me want to punch you in the face!

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by BanditRides View Post
    I don't give a **** if you get the forum police on me I'm still going to let you have it! You are a dick! People are getting hurt because of this crap design and hardware!
    I could never keep tension on my chain because the sliders were moving, bolts bending and QR moving. The brake side bolt that everybody bends snapped off in my frame so I took it to my local trek dealer who pretty much treated me like an idiot and didn't listen to a word I said. He drilled out the bolt (poorly) and said its all good and tight and I'll never have a problem with it again.
    30seconds from the car the back wheel fell out and I ate ****! As pissed off as I am I'm glad it happened at the top of the hill and not the rocks and full speed.
    Wankers like you get on here talking **** about people trying to get free stuff doesn't solve anybody's problem. We don't want freebies we just want a safe bike to ride without the fear of having a high speed crash in the rocks when the wheel comes out.
    Yes not all Rig riders have this issue but maybe they are not 6'4 220+ like me.
    Yeah yeah I know you are a big guy too but you probably ride like a *****!
    Reading you posts makes me want to punch you in the face!
    hi there, first-post-rage guy! no need to bust out the emo rage and butthurt before we get to know you!

there now, have a chiclet and be chill...
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast