mtbr member
    Apr 2012

2012 Trek Mamba Build Up

Bought a 2012 Trek Mamba last year and am slowly upgrading components to try and lose some weight on it and (hopefully) go fast. So far all I've done was upgrade the AT-850 wheels to the bontrager rhythm comp wheels (and I plan to go tubeless soon as my current tires are on their last legs).

The fork was probably the next thing to be upgraded and I am able to get an X-fusion slide for pretty cheap. I'm wondering will this fork work with my current bike? What about the G2 off set? What about the tapered steerer? Does the fork work with the skewers? Etc.

(Don't make too much fun of me for not knowing that much about bikes. I just sit on them and pedal hard :P)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You are smart to upgrade your wheels if you want to go the upgrade route. But I feel that in the future, it is best to save for the bike you want. You could have a Superfly for the price of your bike, rims, and new fork. The head tube on the bike is a 44mm and you will need an adapter lower cup if you are going to run a tapered steerer, but it can work with it. You will probably need to adjust your stack height to maintain about the same body position as the head tube will be slightly higher because of the adapter lower cup. The G2 offset was engineered by Trek to optimize their geometry and steering. There have been many post about changing to a smaller offset, but it has steering consequences. Some people like that it slows down the steering a bit and slacks the head angle slightly. I will say that most people will get use to it and if you plan on going the upgrade route. IMO it is better to e-bay a G2 fork or go through your shops and see what they can help with. Good luck with your build.