mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2012 Superfly Elite, any reason not to buy?

Getting back into mountain biking after a 20 year layoff. A local LBS has a used 2012 Superfly Elite that is owned by one of the owners. He is asking $1800 for the bike which is in very good condition.

Everything on the bike is stock, it was converted to tubeless, and has a set of clipless pedals, a frame pump, and a water bottle cage on it.
    2012 Superfly Elite - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle
    The bike has less than 500 miles on it. I can't see myself getting anything better at that price point. Is there any reason not to buy this bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

2012 Superfly Elite, any reason not to buy?

Super good bike. Made for XC racing. If you are looking for this style of bike then go for it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by runawayjay View Post
    Super good bike. Made for XC racing. If you are looking for this style of bike then go for it.
    +1 That's a great bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I say go for it and ride the hell out of it!!

I'd rather be riding
    Will you still have a warranty? If so go for it.

banned
    Apr 2009
    He is out of his Freaking mind (and hope you were the sucker born that minute!!) say one born every minute!!

Now let me start by saying that bike is my current ride (love the crystal white (and red and black)--I even have a black fork (and upgraded components, 2x-XT Crank, XT front derailer, Racing Ralph tires, Rocvet V saddle, Ergon grips, Salsa bar, new wheelset, rxl stem and seatpost,)--including my pic of my ride also.. But most important is the Lifetime Warranty (in my name!!)

It is hands down the best bike I have ridden (geometry is spot-on) 69.3/72.5 is Amazing!!

But the owner is CRAZY!!--I am from Philly and you can find these bikes NEW at shops (saying $1,800 WITH LIFETIME WARRANTY!!)---AND I KNOW FOR A FACT if you bring $1,500 CASH at most places you are not only getting the bike (you are probably getting some free gear and tune-ups also)---

If he put any parts on the bike extra (that is just a lost on him, he should part out something comparable in the shop)---ALSO I am sure he probably paid 1/2 what they sell customers for the bike!!!!--He is really trying to sucker you!!!

I would say 500 miles, it might need new tires (or at least a FOX Fork tune-up)--that is why have a REBA on mine!!

ALSO even if he would warranty the bike (how do you know he will still be the owner in 10-15 years if the bike cracks, and then you DO NOT get a new Free frame?? Maybe even a carbon Superfly then!!!)----

you better check that out with TREK themselves, see what they say about ANYONE transferrign warranties (unless he rode it and did not register it!?!?)--but selling those bikes (and seeing the Paragon Issues in the past--I am sure he warrantied it already!!)--

we had some owner a few years ago here for a healthclub selling memberships the day he knew the place was going to shut down!!!

you can see at the BIKELLINES here these go for $1,800 MSRP--again, bring $1,300-$1500 and I am sure you would get it (out the door)--TRUST ME ON THIS ONE!!!

Trek Superfly AL Elite (Gary Fisher Collection) - bikeline.com

--Plus if someone tells you 500 miles (you can be sure it is 2-3 times that amount)--then watch how soon you need new tires or bled brakes (but that FOX fork says get serviced every 500 miles)-----you wanna know how much that cost (to get done correctly)--new oil and seals..... Don't be a Sucka, brother........

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    ALSO even if he would warranty the bike (how do you know he will still be the owner in 10-15 years if the bike cracks, and then you DO NOT get a new Free frame?? Maybe even a carbon Superfly then!!!)----
    The Superfly elite is a Carbon frame. I think its a good deal. All XT components.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Are you getting the warranty in your name (or is the shop owner telling you he will warranty it for you??)

--Cause me, I am the BIGGEST TREK fan (but i know their carbon hardtail frames break!!)

----and I just called a BIKE LINE (do some research here)--and one told me if I bring $1,800 CASH in, it is mine!!!

Trek Superfly (Gary Fisher Collection) - bikeline.com

--You are only getting $500 off here and I bet you if you took it to an independent shop (who looked at the fork and seeing if it needed service--and anything else that might be 'wearing put' component wise.. They might just say the bike is worth $1,800.. So you can pay retail if you want!?!?!

but the shop I just called said $1,800 for a BRAND NEW EVERYTHING (with warranty) for that exact frame... so even with the carbon frame (you can do better)-----but tell you what, I have some swamp land in Florida for sale (and I will give you a good deal!!)------

--Jusy kidding, but you could do better (for real...) Me, I refuese to NOT get a GREAT deal!! with my Hard-earned money!! But that's me.. sounds like you got your mind made up already.... --and anyone buying a TREK sounds good to me (though I don't work for them..)--I just had a Great experience with the TREK shops I have dealt with the last 4-5 years...... and I ride a TREK....

--Oh Yeah I just got a message from another shop here in South Eastern Pa. (not a Bikeline, but a TREK dealer who told me in $1,700 CASH to walk out the door with a carbon 2012)---that I cant tell you who (cause sure there are TREK reps on this forum)---maybe you are one putting this post on trying to get rid of old stock>>>> Who Knows!!!---I have called Shenanigans on here before... (someone with 10 posts steering folks to online bikes like crazy!!!)--

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Dude, your talking about a totally different bike. This is the bike you keep referring to.
    2012 Trek Superfly (Gary Fisher Collection) - New and Used Bike Value

2012 Superfly - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle

The bike I'm looking at is a Superfly Elite. This one.
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite (Gary Fisher Collection) - New and Used Bike Value

2012 Superfly Elite - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle

As you can see, it's not $500 off msrp, it is nearly $3200 off msrp. I'm headed in tomorrow to take it for a demo, if I like it, I'm buying it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I bought a 2012 superfly 100 elite demo for my wife with Trek lifetime warranty for 2500 which was half price from retail and a good deal. The bike did have a crack in the swing arm that has been replaced under warranty other than that a great bike. I think the 1800 is a good price just would be worried about the frame breaking and any warranty. The 2012's seem to be better, but don't know much about the hard tail problem history.

Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post

--Plus if someone tells you 500 miles (you can be sure it is 2-3 times that amount)--then watch how soon you need new tires or bled brakes (but that FOX fork says get serviced every 500 miles)-----you wanna know how much that cost (to get done correctly)--new oil and seals..... Don't be a Sucka, brother........
    Speaking of suckers.... That 500 mile recommendation on a service is just that. When i hit 500 and asked my mechanic about it, he lowered his voice and told me "If its not leaking oil, loosing air pressure, and the lock out works your shock is fine. Service it when it starts feeling weird." At 1200 miles my fork still feels like the day i bought it.

If you are gona call someone a sucker, dont include sucker info in your posts.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have a 2011 OCLV Superfly 100 Elite that I purchased new in late April of 2012. Here is my story; in 2012 I rode the bike about 4500-5000 miles of single track (some races). I upgraded parts along the way. In 2013 I found a small crack at the gusset for the seat post. The main frame was warrantied with a 2012 OCLV PRO. That was in May. I have ridden it another 4500 or so miles this year. I have an extra set of OCLV chain/seatstays that will go on this winter. Just about everything on the bike has been served, repaired or replaced. I will ride one more year.

My understanding is Trek gives a lifetime warranty on the OCLV main frame (SF100) for all original owners (with purchase receipts) and a 3 year warranty on the OCLV chainstays and seatstays. Trek can deny coverage if they feel the bike has been used improperly. I don't know what Trek does for their carbon hard tails.

I have no reservations about Trek whatsoever. That said, all carbon bikes, made by any manufacturer can break. All carbon bikes can be repaired in the aftermarket too. If the price for the used one is right, go for it. Bikes are tools. Just use the tool!

$1800 for a used 2011 or 2012 Superfly Elite or 100 Elite seems a bit high considering what else is available new. Unless you are wed to Trek, check out Scott's lineup. They overproduced last year and have a ton of bikes they are getting rid of currently. Find your LBS with Scott and ask them. Remember, if the bike can handle Nino Schurter, I am sure its good for you too!

I am most likely going to purchase the Trek bikes again. But I would consider other options too. Just remember to support your local LBS.
    Last edited by beastmaster; 10-18-2013 at 04:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It's great bike. I have the '12 Superfly AL Elite, and rode a '13 SL Elite.

Not sure about the stated MSRP on BicycleBlueBook. As I recall it was about $3500 -- I was considering CF at the time I purchased mine.

I agree with BigRingGrinder's sentiment on the fork. It has the same fork as mine as I recall. I think Fox says to service it every 100 hours. Anyway, I went about 1500 miles before doing anything to mine -- averaging about 8 mph. There was absolutely no problems with it. I used synthetic oil and installed Enduro-brand seals, and will probably let it go an extra year or 1500 miles before doing anything with it again. On the other hand, it isn't hard or expensive to service, so better too often than not often enough I guess.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Well It is Best to start a post with the link to the Exact bike you are looking at (never with TREK half the time with Carbon/aluminum, name changes. etc...)

Well if that is the bike (and you get the warranty)--it is a no-brainer..

but if the warranty is not in your name (remember it can break next week)--and your owner of the shop can sell the shop the following week (you never know)---

I know from personal experience you want the warranty in Your name with TREK!!

ALSO what condition is the bike you are buying in (if it is in Excellent condition)--and you get the warranty in Your name (it is a steal)---if it is in fair condition (Bikepedia has that at $1,800)--the same price he wants.. And if the warranty is in his name still (at that price)----watch out!!!
    Last edited by 247; 10-18-2013 at 02:54 PM.

banned
    Apr 2009
    I am going on 3 years on my Reba (with getting it set to 100mm and changing oil only!!!)---so Sucker's is a term I use loosely!!!!

I already know if it Ain't broke Don't go fixing it!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Trek Superfly (Gary Fisher Collection) - bikeline.com
    This is the Superfly, not the Superfly Elite. Yes, it is carbon and yes it is black, but not the same bike. As I recall, the main difference is that the Superfly has the tapered headtube as all Superflys do, but NOT the tapered steerer that goes inside.

The bike you want from bikeline.com would be this:
    Trek Superfly Elite (Gary Fisher Collection) - bikeline.com

My memory must be faulty about the MSRP. Anyway, I would ask for their best price on the new one with warranty then decide.