Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    808

    2012 Superfly Elite 100 carbon flexing...why ?

    I've started to notice that my bike is flexing a lot when I peddle, so much that my chain momentarily rubs on chain guide when pressing hard. And, I can see the bottom bracket move to left by what I estimate is close to an inch. Even under light peddling, I can see the bottom bracket move quite a bit. This is also easy to see when just standing beside the bike, holding the brakes and putting some pressure on the pedal.
    Everything seems tight and it certainly wasn't like this when new. It's been a great bike, but this has me concerned.....any thoughts ?

  2. #2
    Andrew
    Reputation: drizzoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    170
    Just bought this same bike, not what I wanted to read, lol. I'd bring it into the dealer you bought it from and have it checked out. Trek is pretty proud of their bikes, if there's anything wrong with it they'll certainlly get you taken care of.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    366
    I have a superfly 100 and have had the pivot bolts near the bottom bracket come loose which caused the same symptoms you describe. Tightening them wasn't as easy as you'd think....take it to the shop and ask them. Might also want to ensure there is some loctite in there too. Heard that solved peoples issues.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    165
    Sounds like loose pivot bolts. Did you resolve the issue?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    127
    It sounds like your frame is cracked. Be sure to check under the chain stay protector if you have one on there.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    808
    Yes, unfortunately a seat tube crack, half-way between the bottom bracket and the first white decal, so about an inch or so up from bottom bracket.
    It's at the shop now for warranty. I'll have to pay to have components moved over, but that's OK ....as long as Trek comes through with new frame.
    I still love the bike, probably got 2,000 miles on it.
    In the meantime, I am back on my 2010 Stumpjumper Expert-aluminum.....I kinda forgotten about this bike, but after (4) rides, I realize it still does very well.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    165
    Keep us posted on what happens. What size frame was it?



    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    Yes, unfortunately a seat tube crack, half-way between the bottom bracket and the first white decal, so about an inch or so up from bottom bracket.
    It's at the shop now for warranty. I'll have to pay to have components moved over, but that's OK ....as long as Trek comes through with new frame.
    I still love the bike, probably got 2,000 miles on it.
    In the meantime, I am back on my 2010 Stumpjumper Expert-aluminum.....I kinda forgotten about this bike, but after (4) rides, I realize it still does very well.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFCuddy View Post
    Keep us posted on what happens. What size frame was it?
    I will do......frame is (23") XXL

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,366
    If you bought it from the shop that you're doing the warranty through, they should be doing the build across for free....thats part of deal of keeping a brand in stock or being a dealer. You factor your pricing around the odd warranty claim and the associated labour.

    Case in point - local shop is a Trek and cervelo dealer. I had a misaligned road frame, the Cervelo distributor provided the warranty frame and the shop swapped the parts over. This is how it is supposed to work.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall View Post
    If you bought it from the shop that you're doing the warranty through, they should be doing the build across for free....thats part of deal of keeping a brand in stock or being a dealer. You factor your pricing around the odd warranty claim and the associated labour.

    Case in point - local shop is a Trek and cervelo dealer. I had a misaligned road frame, the Cervelo distributor provided the warranty frame and the shop swapped the parts over. This is how it is supposed to work.
    Yeah, would be nice, but the shop I purchased from was recently taken over by "Bike Street"
    and they no longer carry Trek, so I had to go to a different dealer. Bike Street has taken over a number of local shops in S FL area.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    Yeah, would be nice, but the shop I purchased from was recently taken over by "Bike Street"
    and they no longer carry Trek, so I had to go to a different dealer. Bike Street has taken over a number of local shops in S FL area.
    Doesn't matter. Trek pays the labor for the warranty swap to the shop that does it. I would push to have the components switched out for free.

    I had a warranty swap done and Trek covered it all although I did tip the mechanics for the work.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11
    Trek doesn't cover the labor for frame swap, that is up to the dealer to charge for if they want to or not. If you are a good customer, I can see the dealer doing it for free. Maybe in a rare case Trek will credit the dealer for the labor, but that is pretty rare, the dealer would have to put up a fuss with trek to have them reimburse labor. I don't know of any bicycle manufactures that cover the labor right away.

    Quote Originally Posted by cfrea View Post
    Doesn't matter. Trek pays the labor for the warranty swap to the shop that does it. I would push to have the components switched out for free.

    I had a warranty swap done and Trek covered it all although I did tip the mechanics for the work.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    89
    I work in a Trek/Specialized/Cannondale/Cervelo/Ridley/others shop and we always swap parts over at no charge to the customer in the case of a warranty. Trek or any other manufacturer who cares about there custoemr will happily credit us the labor to rebuild a warranty frame. If your local shop is charging you then its my opinion they are double dipping. Ex get some cash from you and from Trek.
    Push for a free rebuild or take your frame to a shop that will and report your shop to Trek

    PM

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11
    I've been in the industry 17 years and manage one of the largest trek dealers in the world and have sold all the major brands. I have never heard or seen anything in writing regarding labor credits. If the dealer sold the bike and it wasn't too old, most dealers will do it for free. If the customer puts up a fuss about it, and then the dealer puts up a fuss with the manufacturer then they will sometimes give a credit. It's the same with many other industries, the part is covered but almost all the time you have to pay for labor.


    Quote Originally Posted by ptbo_mac View Post
    I work in a Trek/Specialized/Cannondale/Cervelo/Ridley/others shop and we always swap parts over at no charge to the customer in the case of a warranty. Trek or any other manufacturer who cares about there custoemr will happily credit us the labor to rebuild a warranty frame. If your local shop is charging you then its my opinion they are double dipping. Ex get some cash from you and from Trek.
    Push for a free rebuild or take your frame to a shop that will and report your shop to Trek

    PM

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    808
    Thanks guys, but my main concern now is just getting the frame replaced.....cool weather in FL, so prime riding time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •