Super Outdoor Rep
    Apr 2009

2012 Superfly chain issue

Seems that my chain likes to stick on to the inside chain ring and get sucked into the metal bracket that protects the chain swing arm (carbon frame). Any ideas on how to fix this? Chain is in great shape with no stiff links.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am presuming this happens while shifting the front rings? Make sure the chain rings are not worn, the chain is not too stretched, and that everything is very, very clean and properly lubed. If all is good, maybe time to try a clutch type rear derailleur. That is if your technique is also correct.

I have a 2011 Superfly 100 OCLV frame with a 38/26 2x10 front and a 11-36 rear running through a Sram X9 Type 2 derailleur. I used to have a good bit of chain suck going between the two front rings in either direction. Doing everything I mentioned above has eliminated it (along with chain slap). The bike hasn't chain sucked for a long time now. Just stay on top of the chain maintenance!

Super Outdoor Rep
    Apr 2009
    It happens then and when in the smaller ring. I guess the C-Guide could be causing the extra tension but it had the issue before too. I guess I'll deep clean and make sure the chain and the crack rings do not have any damage.

Thanks for the solid advice!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It will be to do with either wear on the ring, wear of the chain, insufficient lubrication or a combination of all 3.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I've had similar issues with the chain on my 2012 Superfly Elite... This has helped some..
    - Never shift on the front while being cross-chained, this usually causes the chain to drop and then get sucked in.
    - After shifting, never back-pedal before the shift has gone through (you should never do this anyways, but its a guaranteed way of getting your chain sucked).

Super Outdoor Rep
    Apr 2009
    All of this sounds good. I'll make sure to give it a good clean. Could my C-Guide be the cause since it adds tension? Although, you guys have had this issue without it.

Maybe switch to 1x10 but a chain guide up front. Any thoughts on that?