Lance Criminal
    Oct 2012

2012 Fuel EX 7 3x10 to 2x10

Alright so I'm trying to go from 3x10 to 2x10 and I've run into a number of things that I'm not sure about. First off I asked the guy at my LBS what I would need to change and he said I'd only need to get a new crankset. Now if that's true would I need to switch out the BB if I went from Shimano to say SRAM X0 or Raceface Respond or Atlas? What size BB is in my bike? Shimano doesn't tell you on their website and I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere else. This is driving me crazy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Divaythe View Post
    Alright so I'm trying to go from 3x10 to 2x10 and I've run into a number of things that I'm not sure about. First off I asked the guy at my LBS what I would need to change and he said I'd only need to get a new crankset. Now if that's true would I need to switch out the BB if I went from Shimano to say SRAM X0 or Raceface Respond or Atlas? What size BB is in my bike? Shimano doesn't tell you on their website and I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere else. This is driving me crazy.
    You will need to change the BB if you go from say SHimano to Sram.
    Also you will probrably need to change the front deriauller. THe rear may work, you will need to check with the manufacturer. FInally you will need to change the shifter to a 2x10 shifter unless it has a mode switch from 3x10 to 2x10

Lance Criminal
    Oct 2012
    Any clue what size BB my bike takes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Try calling trek directly. IT should be a standard press fit or osmething

mtbr member
    You should be able to use your existing front der, just adjust the limit screws to the reduced spacing of 2 chainrings and not 3.

Shimano Tech Docs try this and find the part number off your crank/BB that should narrow it down.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Its a press fit and I see Shimano part number SM-BB91-41A as what it came with.

Lance Criminal
    Oct 2012
    Thanks guys for all the help!

mtbr member
    I put on a $12 BBG bashgaurd in place of the large ring and adjusted the High screw to limit the 3rd ring. Worked great.