mtbr member
    Jun 2013

2011 Trek Paragon New Old Stock, Opinions?

Hi,

I went to a different LBS and they had a leftover '11 Paragon. It was a 19" which felt better than 17.5 Treks. I'm actually between sizes and would rather go larger. Anyway, I didn't negotiate with him because I wanted to do some research on the bike. It's all been positive and the test ride was fun. I also like the matte color. They are asking $1700. I believe the bike last retailed for just over $2100. I feel they are asking too much for a bike that's been sitting there for almost 3 years. I was thinking of offering $1500 cash OTD. Is this about right?

Also, any Paragon owners feel free to share your thoughts on the bike.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I have one and I love it. The frame is the same as the 2012 and 2013 Superfly AL and AL elite. The wheels set up tubeless with no issues. The Avid brakes can squawk on occasion, eventually I replaced them with SLX. It's been a solid ride. I've had mine for almost three years (August of 2010) and put several thousand miles on it. Going again tonight

Not sure on price but I'm with you, the 2014's will be out soon so I think they could come down on price.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I had one for a couple if years. I cracked two frames, but it was a great bike as long as you have the warranty...you get a new frame if you crack it. I switched to FS, which is better for me, but the Paragon is very good for a hard tail. That said, for old stock they are asking way too much...I wouldn't pay a dime more than the $1500 you were thinking about. It has been sitting with them for a long time, and they would be crazy to turn down $1500 and let it keep sitting and losing value.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    I had one for a couple if years. I cracked two frames, but it was a great bike as long as you have the warranty...you get a new frame if you crack it. I switched to FS, which is better for me, but the Paragon is very good for a hard tail. That said, for old stock they are asking way too much...I wouldn't pay a dime more than the $1500 you were thinking about. It has been sitting with them for a long time, and they would be crazy to turn down $1500 and let it keep sitting and losing value.
    Thanks, I've read about pre-2010 having some issues with the frames. Nothing about the later productions. I think 1500 OTD is fair. That's like $1395 plus tax (.0765). I would still need to buy lock on grips, water bottle cage and all aluminum platform pegs. I'll be getting clipless as I get more comfortable with the bike. I'll call tomorrow with the offer and leave it up to them. I can get a 2013 X caliber for a little more.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Post on the 29er page what site to go to show Bike Prices. I saw it in a thread once here. It said the 2012 Superfly AL's were worth around 1400 now (so it might say that bike is worth about 1,200????)---

It was a great site (just can't remember what it was....)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    Post on the 29er page what site to go to show Bike Prices. I saw it in a thread once here. It said the 2012 Superfly AL's were worth around 1400 now (so it might say that bike is worth about 1,200????)---

It was a great site (just can't remember what it was....)
    Thanks, I was planning to have them throw in those few extras for $1500 otd. If they take it fine, if not I'll pass.
    Last edited by Trek13; 06-12-2013 at 07:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    Haymarket, where did yours break at? I'd like to keep an eye on the area. I broke a couple of the pre 2010 Fisher's fairly quick but this one (so far) has been solid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke View Post
    Haymarket, where did yours break at? I'd like to keep an eye on the area. I broke a couple of the pre 2010 Fisher's fairly quick but this one (so far) has been solid.
    Above the weld at the seat post / top tube junction. They were 2010s, so it doesn't seem applicable to the 2011. Either way, it wouldn't bother me if I was purchasing as if I cracked one, a new frame is on the way.

mtbr member
    Ok, thanks. They changed the design for the 2011 model years. The '08's, '09's and '10's were the same design, at least by external appearances. I broke a couple of those too. (at the same top tube/seat post junction...a flaw on those models)

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Update...Dealer wouldn't go below $1600 plus tax. I passed. Also this dealer gives only one free service. My local dealer (5mins away) gives three years of unlimited tune up. They gave me a great price on a 2013 X-calber at $1350. They are also bringing in a 2012 leftover Giant Anthem X 29er 2 which goes for around $1700. I need to test ride that one before I decide if I want to go with FS. Thanks