mtbr member
    Mar 2012

New question here. 2011 (I think) Elite 9.8 Build Help

Hi Trek Crew -

My story - Broke an old GF Big Sur, bought a Mojo, decided to check warranty replacement on the GF, got a NOS Elite 9.8 carbon (mostly red and black - google fail on the image search for which year and Trek website fail on showing the 2011)

I was originally thinking about selling the frame to offset some shiny new bits for my mojo but have started think this might be a great single speed platform. It will get mixed use: fire-road, smooth single track, family rides, maybe some light commuting, and it will be my buddy bike when friends and family come to town.

So I am thinking about a few routes: 26" ss with a 100-120mm fork, 67.5 with a 100mm fork or 69er rigid.

Any thoughts, free-advice from the Trek cognoscenti?

Thanks,
    Aaron

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I got the same frame from Trek, it is flat black with red and silver accents. I tried to sell mine and everyone gave me I can get a chineese frame cheaper crap. I built it up to a pretty light hardtail. It has a revelation u-turn fork on it and goes likes hell.

Personally I would just build it up and ride it for a while, because they are basiclly going to offer the same new or used. Just a word of advice, if you ride a Sram crankset make sure they sell you the correct bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks Dan - appreciate the advice. I tend to ride Shimano cranksets and have a spare XT set laying around. I do need to buy a new bottom bracket and haven't been able to figure out which is the correct one. Do you happen to know?
    Aaron

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The correct kit for your bike is 404699 and it will be around $20.00 for it.