mtbr member
    Jun 2009

2010 TREK elite 9.8 hardtail questions

Hi - Can someone please assist me.

I just purchased a 2010 TREK Elite 9.8 carbon frame. I will be mounting a SRAM GXP MTN crank. The frame is a BB90 and I know there is a difference between the BB kits you get for BB90 GXP road and GXP MTN cranks. Can anyone tell me which kit i need or a part number.

I also want to mount a SRAM X9 FD and not sure which type or model will be suitable - Any help will be appreciated.

Frame as in the picture

2010 TREK elite 9.8 hardtail questions-elite98_blackwhite.jpg

I hate that name.
    There is no different kit for road or mtb. The difference is the frame. Road is bb90, mtb is bb95. Threaded bottom brackets are different.

trek part # 524556
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    There is no different kit for road or mtb. The difference is the frame. Road is bb90, mtb is bb95. Threaded bottom brackets are different.

trek part # 524556
    This frame is def BB90, as per the spec and I measured it.

I hate that name.
    Interesting. It's odd that they would do that, but I wouldn't put it past them. Regardless, the bottom bracket is the same.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    Interesting. It's odd that they would do that, but I wouldn't put it past them. Regardless, the bottom bracket is the same.
    I have a TREK Superfly 100 Carbon which has the BB95, a later year than this, so maybe they changed all their MTB carbon frames to BB95. the problem with BB90 on a MTB frame is the GXP cranks. On the MTB GXP crank the spindle is longer than the GXP road cranks so when you install what the LBS says is the BB90 bearing set, the bearings fit the frame and the spindle dia. 100%, but when you insert the spindle from the drive side it pushes out the non-drive side bearing from the frame and the chainrings are up against the frame - So there must be spacers which which need to be installed on the drive side before you install the seal. Also the non-drive side bearing is a standard bearing as apposed to the special collard bearing. This will line up the chainline and prevent the non-drive side bearing to be pushed out.

So what the LBS are selling as BB90 bearing sets for GXP crankset is actually for a road GXP crankset on a road bike, and not for MTB GXP crankset on a Mountain Bike.

What pisses me off is the lack of info on the TREK website in this regard. I know there is a part number for the correct BB bearing set which the dumbasses at the LBS will need or they will never get the right part from TREK.

I hate that name.
    I did some digging on the tech site. I found a pdf claiming to be for the 2009 Elite frame. I don't remember if the frame changed from 09 to 10. It does show the bb as bb90. It looks like the standard gxp bb is needed with some spacers. Most importantly, a 5mm under the wavy washer. None of the part numbers work, too old, but they led me to this:

2010 TREK elite 9.8 hardtail questions-gxpbb.jpg

They call it BB90 GXP Narrow Q Factor Kit, the description is GXP Top Fuel 2009-2012 Specific Steel Kit BB90 MTB. Plenty in stock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks Blunderbuss

I think the difference in these kits is the NDS bearing, BB95 bearing has an extended inner race which face inwards when installed in the frame TREK P/No. 405700.

From your pic above and 1 other pic I've found for P/No 415734 kit I found elsewhere in the forums i'm almost certain the NDS bearing does not have this extended inner race, but comes with a standard 22 X 37 X 8 bearing & extra spacers (5.5mm + wavey washer for DS & 2.0mm for NDS).

I have ordered the bearing from Enduro bearings and have the spacers, but i will substitute the wavey washer with a 2.5mm spacer as I don't agree with installing this on normal deep groove bearings. the washer will pre-load the inner race and cause it to fail. The only bearings that need pre-load are angular contact bearings.

Once i've assembled I'l let you know how it went.

Thanks for being the only response by the way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Here is a pic of the 415734 kit2010 TREK elite 9.8 hardtail questions-2012-02-20_16-26-52_638.jpg