mtbr member
    Feb 2009

2010 Remedy or 2012 Slash?

So, I have the opportunity to buy my father-in-laws 2010 Trek Remedy 8 for maybe 2 grand. He bought it new last summer and has put maybe 150 miles on it. Or I was going to hold on and try to buy a trek Slash 9 when the tax return came. I'm torn. His bike has red shield and is the last year the the frame was warrantied. If I bought an slash it would be used (no Warranty and no red shield) I weight 280 with pack and gear on the bike and red shield has been priceless for me on my 2008 fuel EX 8. broken chain and seat stay, 5 chains, 2 cassettes, and new wires and and front crank.

What would you do?

mtbr member
    i thought the Remedy had a lifetime frame warranty?

Limited Warranty - Trek Bicycle

I guess its only to the orig owner but if its your father in law i'm sure it would work out.

what kind of riding do you do? With you being a larger guy i'd almost consider the Slash based on that fact alone. If i didn't get a smoking deal on my R8 i would have held out for a slash as well. To me the biggest factor is riding style and terrain.
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have a mixed XC / all mountain riding style with drops and rollers no higher than 3 feet.
    I will be keeping my ex 8.

mtbr member
    If you are keeping your fuel i would get the slash
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost