mtbr member
    Jul 2004

2009 trek dh team

anyone else a little unimpressed that its leov riding the 88,

what about hill, the athertons etc

i thought trek where going to get the chequebook out to compete with hill/specialized?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yeah I wish Trek had a pro DH team. I know it's verycostly but it would be rad seeing their bikes up on the podium. Although I thinks it's cool thatthe do sponsor Shandro, McCaul, and Semenuk. The only thing that's strange is why we never hear anything about it. If I were paying those guys I would be trying to get as much bang for my buck as possible but for some reason that's really not happening....

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    As I recall, McCaul was a fairly unknown rider when he was signed. Can't remember the specifics, but he was the runner-up in a company's online poll to find a new sponsored rider. Trek got behind him and now he's arguably one of the best riders out there. Maybe Trek hopes they'll strike gold again.

"Having just turned 24, Justin Leov is a highly accomplished rider who's had a great season in 2008; most notably his 6th place finish at the World Championships which was the best ever performance by a New Zealand man at the Downhill World titles. Justin has had a string of top 10 results over the past few seasons and therefore joins the team as a regular World Cup top 10 rider.

Also 24 years old, Andrew Neethling has impressed many in his past 3 seasons showing constant progression. His 6th place on the physical track at this year's Canberra World Cup (the venue for the 2009 World Championships), and his impressive top 10 on the steep and technical Schladming course in Austria, shows that 'Needles' has the potential to be top 10 on any course he races."

Seems like there's some potential there.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Is Sam Hill riding for Specialized now? I remember seeing a few pictures of him riding a Demo in a magazine I bought. Haven't gotten around to reading the accompanying article, yet. From my cursory glance I got the impression it was a picture of Hill merely riding a Demo, not an article about changing sponsors.

Edit: Nevermind. You're right. He changed sponsors.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I was definitely stoked to see Semenuk take the win at the latest Red Bull Rampage on the new Session 88.

I am also curious where Hill will go. Specialized hasn't been doing much lately as far as winning world cup races. It would be cool if they stepped into the ring too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Just saw this posted up on bikemag:

http://bikemag.com/features/onlineex...-to-trek-team/

Sweet!

mtbr member
    Hill is going to Spec.... the forums have plenty of pics to confirm that. He rode the first Aussie DH race of this season on a Demo. Also at interbike... the Spec guys were not shy to disclose the info. When asked why the Demo they had on display had WC stripes on it they said they had a rider who would be on it. They said that the bike was a custom Demo, Demo 7 with a slacker head angle... lower BB... and lighter material.

As for the Atherton's... they are locked into a contract for the next 2 years. They just started that contract last year. Good riders and no doubt they would be a great plus for any team.

As for the Trek team... I think that BikeMag said it best. The $$$ that Trek is fronting to support this team and DH biking is going to benefit the industry. Spec when they enter the market is also going to do this. When an industry heavy weight jumps into the arena the exposure is good for the scene in general. It think at times the difference from one rider to another is the financial backing they have to support their career. The Commencal Team is a prime example of this. The Atherton's are great.... but before their break out year they were on a team that was going no where.
    Bikeless Rider

Members who have read this thread: 0