mtbr member
    Aug 2008

2009 EX8 rear swingarm bearing replacement?

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the bearings on their ex8 rear swingarm - around the 2009 model year?

I've taken mine apart and they are completely burnt out, so I was going to replace them. I've searched the net and haven't found any guide or way to do this...I've read that there's specific trek tools to do this but only shops have it. So I was wondering if I should have a go at it or take it in to the shop?

I'm a do it yourself kind of guy so I'd rather do it myself, but not if I'm going to mess it all up.

Just looking for thoughts/experiences.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've done it. You can buy bearings from real world cycling. You will also need a bearing press. Although it can be done with homemade tools, you will regret if you break one of the bearing inserts.( where the bearing seats). The rocker is especially fragile and if a bearing is seized, proper tools will save you a ton of time. All bearings can be bought from them even most wheel bearings and ceramic bottom bracket bearings. Either way, change the bearings, you won't regret it.
    Last edited by baltistyle; 03-21-2013 at 07:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Thanks. I may just buy the bearings from rwc and let the shop put them in...wonder if they'd do that since they are aftermarket?

I didn't want to spend the $ on the bearing press since this is the only job I'd likely use it for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    A shop will do it but a trek shop may require you buy the bearings from them for warranty purposes. Good luck

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

My shop said they would do it with the enduro bearings. Does anyone know what the difference is in enduro's kit versus buying them individually as it looks to be a few bucks cheaper to buy them individually.

mtbr member
    I just did the 6 bearings in my Evo link. Originals were shot and instead of the RWC kit I just purchased 6 individual bearings from Tree Fort Bikes on the net. There are a couple of tutorial videos on Youtube of a guy showing you how to do it with a bench vice and some spacers. I just used my bench vice and sockets and it went fine.

Edit: here are the Youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuQGXbbkreM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4ej_Cy3rtU

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

I just ordered the RWC kit earlier today. I've seen this videos...looks simple enough but I'm just not sure if I'm going to do it or not!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I am getting ready to do this on my 08 fuel ex 8. I got my bearings from rcbearings.com as they were cheaper than enduro. Also not buying the bearing press as I have rigged up on using a nut/bolt and appropriately sized washers. I've done the same thing replacing the bearings on my front wheel. Removing old bearings you can just tap out with a flat head screw driver and hammer. Hardest part is removing everything in the way just to get to the bearings (i.e., cranks, etc.). Also, make sure you order the right bearings for your bike. Verify with Trek as they have always been very helpful when I have e-mailed them.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    timmaayyy,

Which bearings did you get from Tree Fort Bikes? I need to replace the bearings on my Evo link as well. I have located the bearings on Tree Fort but do not know specifically which ones to get.