Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005

2008 Trek Preview at Cyclingnews.com

It looks like Trek has some interesting things up there sleeves for their 2008 mountain bike line up. Check it out -

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...k_mtb_launch07

LA CHÈVRE
    I like the rear axle pivot but... cosmetically, next year's Treks look just like Specialized. The new Madone looks just like a Tarmac and the colorways are very Specialized like, even the downtube with the curve near the BB... But looks are not that important, the new EX looks like a good bike and the new rear suspension layout is very interesting indeed.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I wonder how much "better" or "noticeable" the braking improvement will be over the 1-Year-Only EX 9.5 and the rest of the line.....
    The new Rocker does look like an improvement though, not that the old one was "bad".

- I'm glad to see Trek FINALLY step-up the game to the level of it's competitors. If these bikes are "better" than last years EX's it should be a good year for Trek.

Oh yeah, Trek, if you're listening, PLEASE LOSE THE GOOFY 12-DEGREE STEM, THE "XC" WIDTH HANDLEBAR, AND ARSE-HATCHET SEAT! Last years bike had an "identity-crisis" IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    hmm, well I still dont get how do they mimic the floating disc brake affect...from the pics, it looks like a normal rear triangle

LA CHÈVRE
    I'm sure it's more marketing than a real world feelable change, that's what bike launches are all about.

You got any chocolate?
    Cool pics. The bikes look sweet. I can't even imagine what they will be pricing these new models at.
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

Reader
    Oct 2005

Looks like Dave Weagle's new Split Pivot Design

Check out www.split-pivot.com

Active braking plus great lateral rigidity for the frame. This could be a huge step forward for Trek to use a more sophisticated patented suspension system like this. All the benefits of a floating brake without the complexity!

Looks awfully similar...
    Last edited by DeZender; 06-08-2007 at 01:28 PM.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by DeZender
    Check out www.split-pivot.com

Active braking plus great lateral rigidity for the frame. This could be a huge step forward for Trek to use a more sophisticated patented suspension system like this. All the benefits of a floating brake without the complexity!

Looks awfully similar...
    Well, Trek might just be one of the companies to use the split-pivot patent and pay the royalties...

Fat guy on a bike
    First thing i thought was that it looked rather specialized like too.

Tougher rocker? Sweet. I always thought it looked a little wimpy compared to the designs of most others.

Floating shock is interesting too. Wonder how that will perform for bigger guys like me.

My concern is if that general design will be available for the same price level as the ex8/7 now. Hrm. Of course i want a new bike in july and now might have to just wait until august to see the 08 specs before buying.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordy
    My concern is if that general design will be available for the same price level as the ex8/7 now. Hrm. Of course i want a new bike in july and now might have to just wait until august to see the 08 specs before buying.

Ditto!! Always something better to come, isn't there?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My LBS says the MSRP for the 08 9.5 is $6600 and $4400 for the 08 9.0. I think that is close to the 07 prices.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I don't think they're paying dw for the new rear pivot deign. If they were they would probably be calling it the same thing. And at this point they're not, the dw is referred to as the split pivot and it appears trek's has been dubbed the abp (active braking pivot).

I think I smell a legal battle in the making!! Is it possible that they both came up with this design independently and just happened to both unveil then a basically the same time?

At this point I don't doubt it. Everyone has been so hush hush this year about the new products. It seems that most brands are being extremely secretive and largely don't really know what the others are up to till the new designs are released. I heard that trek came down hard on some employees who were divulging info to fokls outside the company before the new designs were officially unveiled.

As far as the bikes look I am pretty stoked. There was definitely a big step up in overally quality from 06 to 07 and it looks like the same thing for 08. Curious to see how it rides and how it performs now under breaking especially now with the newdesign changes. I am also especially excited to see what trek has planned for the other bikes in their lineup!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

it's the split pivot design licensed from DW

Trek has done the licensing thing before. Remember the Palomino?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yes but they didn't try to disguise it as something they came up with themselves. My feeling is that they both came up with the design independently but who knows.. .I just think that if Trek were paying for the rights to use the design they would be calling it the same thing. Like all of the other dw designed bikes that have the "dwlink" logo somewhere on the frame. Whereas on the Trek, the logo by the dropout seems to be indicating that they are showing off some new Trek proprietary design, ann therefore not calling it the "split pivot". This has got me intrested though I will definitely be calling our inside rep tomorrow to get the lowdown.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The lowdown is they licensed the split pivot from dw. Trek doesn't know how to build an FS bike. Gary Fisher can help them with geometry and wheels, but a real FS design. That's not coming from Wisconsin.

license your way to mediocrity. Go Trek.

check it, a quote from the designer dw himself

"I don't think that Split Pivot could be lighter than dw-link in an ideal world, but it can make a pretty light bike without too much cost. dw-link is structurally pretty hard to beat.

Is this bike going to be better than a dw-link bike? Sadly, no."

So Trek is building a sub par bike, that is cheap to manufacture. Good for their bottom line, not so good for riding.
    Last edited by Gripshiftrules; 06-12-2007 at 07:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Wow that's kinda strange. License a design and then change the name to make it look like a trek innovation. That's not so cool... It doesn't mean the bike won't be cool, but that's just a bit strange on their part. It seems like if they were going to licesnse the new dw design they would be open with that information because of dw's good reputation as a suspension designer. Just out of curiosity how did you find out?

Reader
    Oct 2005
    What's wrong with improving their designs, even if that involves licensing?

As far as being "cheap" to build, I doubt that Wisconsin is cheaper than Taiwan.

Turner is one good example of quality single pivots, and I for one applaud Trek for stepping up their game too... it looks like the details and thinking that went into this frame are anything but cheap.

Ultimately, however, we need to ride it to know. I'd still hazard a guess that is an improvement over their current offerings, and that's what I want from evolution.

Fat guy on a bike
    Its totally reasonable to license a product but change it. Its probably cheaper to pay to borrow a design, and us it to help implement a new one, then it is to steal a design and hide it under a new one, and get sued.

LA CHÈVRE
    It depends of the licensing terms, it's never the same, sometimes you are forced to use the name, put a logo, such things. Sometimes, you just pay to use it. Cannondale licenses the BB30 standard that is used by Specialized but they make it look like it's their own invention without any mention of Cannondale and the BB30 name...

Quote Originally Posted by sessionrider
    Wow that's kinda strange. License a design and then change the name to make it look like a trek innovation. That's not so cool...
    Hmmmmm..... sounds a LOT like Ford licensing Toyota's hybrid auto technology, but never really mentioning that fact to the public. I figure if they pay for the rights to the technology, heck, let them rebadge it however they like - they already paid for it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I don't see anything wrong with Trek licensing the new dw design especially in the name of improving their bikes. I sell treks, I ride a trek, and they certainly make a host of great bikes. It's just when I saw the new design I thought, wow thats a cool innovation and look it's called active braking pivot (a trademarked term by the way) and I was pretty stoked at the way the new bike looked. So it's not their design, big deal, in the name of innovation I am all for it. I am just slighly put off by the fact that they are calling is something different if they are indeed paying for the rights to use it. But hey, if that's what is necessary for trek to step up their game as far as fs design goes, more power to them. I also have an ibis mojo and I definitely don't knock ibis for licensing the origional dw link for their bike. Then again they're not referring to their design as the ibislink bike, no, they call it, oh, what was that, oh yeah, the DWLINK...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    it's Trek's design, they have a patent pending.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Ahhh now that's what I talking about, go trek!!! I thought that it would be fishy for trek to try and pass of someone elses design as their own. Well all I can say is I can't wait to try out the new bikes. They do look pretty sweet indeed. Curious thing is the new dw split pivot design is also currently patent pending, hmmm....

Fat guy on a bike
    Wait, after looking closer, comparing the dw link tech demo website to these pictures, i just don't see how they are the same. The DW link has the extra (VPP like) linkage behind the bottom bracket connecting to the seat stays, this design does not. This design has the shock linked to the chain stays directly in a sort of see-saw.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    well, they are not talking bout DW Link, they are comparing Trek's Active Brake..... with Dave Weagle latest patent pending inovation, the Split Pivot because it looks exactly the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast