mtbr member
    Jul 2013

2008 HiFi 29 -- Warranty?

Hey Folks,

I'm new here, and hoping someone can help me out with this... If I've posted in the wrong place, my apologies.

I have a Gary Fisher 2008 HiFi Plus 29 that broke the other day-- the "bridge" broke that holds the asymmetrical chainstays together. More info: I was rolling down a fairly smooth descent, then going around a curve that led to an ascent when I heard a creak/crack, the back end went out, and I skidded off the curve into a stump, which put a big dent in the downtube. I was bruised up, but nothing too bad. Then I saw the broken stay and was glad I wasn't near a cliff or something...

So, my question is, does Trek still warranty Gary Fisher? (When I did a search here, I saw there were many issues with these HiFi stays; I suppose that I just don't ride very often or very hard, so mine took a few years to break...) I'm the original owner of the bike.

Thank you for any info or feedback.

mtbr member
    If you are the original owner and can prove that with receipt or by going into the shop you bought the bike they should warranty it. Best thing would be to call your local Trek retailer, they can talk you through the process.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Great. Thanks for the word.
    There's a Trek dealer not too far from my office. I called them, and I'll be taking it by there asap so they can take some photos to send to Trek corp. Of course, it would be great to get this frame repaired (or even just fixed), as the warranty was a big reason I bought from GF. I'm happy to hear that Trek honors it. Well, they should, considering that it broke while I was riding it -- I ride like a pansy. The chainstay bridge is completely severed.
    Thanks again.

mtbr member
    What I have seen them do in the past is give the new version of the same frame. In some cases you have to buy a couple of parts to make it all work but to get a new frame for free is awesome. They may also just send another Chain stay depending on the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by AJCMTB View Post
    Great. Thanks for the word.
    There's a Trek dealer not too far from my office. I called them, and I'll be taking it by there asap so they can take some photos to send to Trek corp. Of course, it would be great to get this frame repaired (or even just fixed), as the warranty was a big reason I bought from GF. I'm happy to hear that Trek honors it. Well, they should, considering that it broke while I was riding it -- I ride like a pansy. The chainstay bridge is completely severed.
    Thanks again.