mtbr member
    Oct 2008

2008 Fuel EX 9.0 creak/pop????

I have a 2008 Fuel EX 9.0 and whenever I hit the brakes the rear suspension pops. The brakes aren't the problem. Has anyone else had this issue?? It seems to be getting worse and my LBS can't find the problem, although they say they have fixed it??? Just comes back the next ride. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Tell me a little more about how you have gone through and diagnosed the sounds..

and the exact area where the noise is coming from. I can probably help. Give us the history. when did you get the bike. when did it start. get detailed as I have experience with this. Is is when pedaling only or not, certain gears more than others, do your brake pads move in the caliper, in the abp pivot,does the metal touch or i there visible space between the chain and seat stay tubes.

G

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the help. I got the bike about 10 months ago and the sound started about 2 months ago. The bike has the carbon main fram and AL rear triangle. The noise only appears when you first hit the brakes and it sounds and feels like a "pop" coming from the rear, possible the axle/apb pivot. Does not occur when just riding/pedaling, only the initial brake contact. There is a visible space beween the seat and chain stays. The bike has XT brakes and pads don't seem to move and the caliper is torqued down. Doesn't matter what gear it is.

Any help would be great!!

2 wheels & a meat motor
    Check out this thread. 2008 EX-8 creaking issues; common?

I've talked to many a person in the Trek family, but no one knows or has even heard of the problem. Maybe I should have left the Made in Taiwan sticker on it.

CG

BKB
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have the same problem on my EX9 except I get the sound when I pedal hard on steep up hills & then put on the brakes. I was told to cinch down the rear wheel real tight. It seems to have helped.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    hmmm I have an 08 Ex9 but have not heard this sound...yet. I'll be listening!