Dirt Noob

2008 Fuel EX 8 creaking

Hey guys first time poster. I was out pounding my new Fuel EX 8 this past weekend and noticed that I am having some strange creaking type noises while riding fast on the road. It sounds as if my brakes are touching or something.

Other than that I had a blast on my new ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Could be the brakes, but you want to check all the pivot points (rocker arm etc) and make sure everything is tight. When I picked my new 9.8 up the bolts that fasten the rear shock were loose and cousing a Heinous creek.

Dirt Noob
    Thanks for the reply maxout I'll check all the linkage bolts.

mtbr member

creaking

i had the same issue, and i send it to the LBS, they cleaned and relubed the pivots. hope it helps

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Try lubing the shaft of your rear shock.
    '08 Top Fuel 8
    Bontrager RXL CF bars & seatpost :: RXXXL CF stem
    M970 XTR pedals :: X-0 gripshift :: X-0 rear derailleur

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Usually a brake noise isnít a creak type of sound but more of a rubbing kind of a sound that speeds up as your speed picks up (unless your brake rotor is totally out of whack), sometimes it can sound like something is tapping your rotor or most times you may have a scuffing type of sound. If you think it may be the brakes make sure the wheels are in the dropouts properly and that your skewers are tight. If you feel your wheels are good and happy pick up the rear or the front of the bike and spin the wheel, if the wheel tends to stop without much freewheeling you may have a warped rotor or bad bearing. The warped rotor is easily fixed and you can usually see it when spinning the wheel and observing the rotor as it enters the caliper observing side-to-side wavering. As the brake rotor waves out of center it can rub up against the brake pad giving you that rubbing/scuffing/pinging sound and slowing the wheel down prematurely. A bad bearing is little more involved, and should be under warranty if your bike is new, either way if you haven't attempted to do something like this do yourself a favor and bring it to your LBS so they can diagnose the problem and show you what needs to be done.

If you've ruled out the brakes and feel it may be in the pivot points of your suspension and decide to tighten things up a bit in hopes of curing the creak make sure you use a torque wrench. The right torque is crucial in bearing and pivot performance, you'll need a torque wrench that measures inch pounds (mine have the values printed on the pivot point) and you shouldn't have to check pivot torques more than once a month if that. Trek also recommends to not lube any of the bearings because they are sealed.

Lastly if you still have a creaking type of noise check all other nuts and bolts, anything that is out of torque will inevitably result in a creaking or cracking type of noise especially in the seat post and crank areas.

Sorry for the long-winded reply but I've been through all of this many times and can't emphasize using the right torque values enough while also stressing the value of when in doubt go to your LBS for their valued input itíll save you time, anguish and money in the long run. Good Luck & Ride On!!

Members who have read this thread: 0